Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First day.......how'd it go?

• 13-09-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

So newcomers and returnees alike how was the first day at/back to college? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Well i, along with my entire class of 7, didnt get the memo about the first year induction so we sat in Starbucks for a while before headin to the bar for a couple - went to the class i was supposed to have at 1 o clock and got told to go home - nothing happening today
    Good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Very busy!
    Had a wee course overview, then headed to archaoelogy lecture then went to the theatre for the icebreaker. Then went for another lecuture on polictics bla bla..then hour lunch then another history lecture till half 4 then home=)!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Serkunet

I actually enjoyed today, thought I'd be too nervous to do anything but I made quite a few friends which is good!....Though I have an assignment but it's only due in two weeks and the Carroll's building confuses me O.o;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Well i, along with my entire class of 7, didnt get the memo about the first year induction so we sat in Starbucks for a while before headin to the bar for a couple - went to the class i was supposed to have at 1 o clock and got told to go home - nothing happening today

Ah i love it when things start off easy :)
    LovexxLife wrote: »
    Very busy!
    Had a wee course overview, then headed to archaoelogy lecture then went to the theatre for the icebreaker. Then went for another lecuture on polictics bla bla..then hour lunch then another history lecture till half 4 then home=)!

Not so easy there! sounds like a tough introduction to things!
    Serkunet wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed today, thought I'd be too nervous to do anything but I made quite a few friends which is good!....Though I have an assignment but it's only due in two weeks and the Carroll's building confuses me O.o;

Must take a spin down someday to see what its like (Carrols building) , when I was doing computing in first year we were supposed to be in there in 2nd years so its only 3 years late! :pac:

draffodx wrote: »

Not so easy there! sounds like a tough introduction to things!

Yep was quite a shock! its so different from school learing!
    And we keep getting loads of reading lists! Im starting to find it a bit overwhleming. It there any offices you go to to get advice on how college learning works?

• Advertisement

Yep was quite a shock! its so different from school learing!
    And we keep getting loads of reading lists! Im starting to find it a bit overwhleming. It there any offices you go to to get advice on how college learning works?

You should have a studies and learning module?

Also there might me an outside classes learning centre there as well, there was one for the computing lab where anything you were struggling with you could get help with off students further on in the course.

Or you can pop down to the Student Union and ask them.

draffodx wrote: »
    You should have a studies and learning module?

Also there might me an outside classes learning centre there as well, there was one for the computing lab where anything you were struggling with you could get help with off students further on in the course.

Or you can pop down to the Student Union and ask them.
    No I havent seen that module anywhere on my timetable.
    Wheres the learning centre?
    Yea i might just pop into students union tomorrow, isnt that beside the campus shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

First impressions good so far. Getting to grips with the Carrolls building, it really is the business though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

flyswatter wrote: »
    First impressions good so far. Getting to grips with the Carrolls building, it really is the business though!

Aye, it really is the dogs bollox :) Only thing its missing is a few vending machines - there isnt a single one :(

No I havent seen that module anywhere on my timetable.
    Wheres the learning centre?
    Yea i might just pop into students union tomorrow, isnt that beside the campus shop?

The only learning centre I knew of was for computing students, the students union should know more about the options for your course.

Yeh the SU is down past the college shop and the bank.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help, but think im ok now just was worrying too much!
    but i think i am the most unluckiest 1st year with the login system!
    Yesterday i went to the computer woman, cos my password wasnt working but turned out i was meant to change and never did but she help me with that. So went home last night to use it and was grand got into webmail was fine. then i was trying to log in to the library computer and my password wasnt working. So went to the computer woman and she was like you were here yesterday! but she got into the system and got me to enter my password again, so went to the computer and was grand working away. Im home now and i was trying to log-in and guess what!
    I cant :(
    im just really fed-up with it now! have to pay another visit it to her tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oddo

Thanks for the help, but think im ok now just was worrying too much!
    but i think i am the most unluckiest 1st year with the login system!
    Yesterday i went to the computer woman, cos my password wasnt working but turned out i was meant to change and never did but she help me with that. So went home last night to use it and was grand got into webmail was fine. then i was trying to log in to the library computer and my password wasnt working. So went to the computer woman and she was like you were here yesterday! but she got into the system and got me to enter my password again, so went to the computer and was grand working away. Im home now and i was trying to log-in and guess what!
    I cant :(
    im just really fed-up with it now! have to pay another visit it to her tomorrow!
    Don't worry your only started, You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

theres loads of help available if you need it. Dont forget youre only just starting.

Its a bit chaotic to start with but you'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

KeithM89 wrote: »

hold on! there is a Starbucks in DKIT now???

Holy crap... Back in my day we only had the tar from the coffee dock! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippendale

. . .the first day went well! It's a little daunting being in a class and college where you don't know anybody, but I'm slowly getting to know people. I've only met friendly souls, so hopefully that keeps happening, for myself and all the new folk.

I moved up to the student accommodation last sunday, and so far the only hard part about all this is filling the hours after lectures are over. Roll on soc sign-up day!

P.S. This section of Boards has proved an invaluable resource, so thank you all who have contributed.

theres loads of help available if you need it. Dont forget youre only just starting.

Its a bit chaotic to start with but you'll be grand. :)
    yea its getting better now, i have a friend in 2nd year and ask her for advice and she said that you only really used the reading list to help writing up assignments.

All my assignments seem to be due around november but im going to wait another week before i start them to get more of the course covered!
    So i have a better idea what the subject means and that.

Yea cant wait till societies day cos im having a bit of trouble making friends in my class, cos they seem to have friends in other years, so hoping joining a club will help getting to know more people!
    Can't go to any of the nights out next week cos got no-where to stay, ah well i go out at the weekend in my own wee town!

sorry for my long posts, hope i dont annoy you too much

Good to know its getting better :)

Hope you get to enjoy freshers week

Advertisement