Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Wi-fi?????

• 13-09-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

I know between the times of 9-17 you cant access such sites as facebook on the college's computers however, can you access them through the college wi-fi with your own laptop? during the times specified?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I've wondered this too.

Theoretically, they should still be blocked because you're still using the College Ethernet's IP address (as you're using their Wi-Fi) which uses filters to keep out unwanted sites and connections, so I doubt you'd be gaining much by using your own laptop.

I assume they'd also still be able to monitor your browsing habits as well. It's terrible paranoid times when you know the IT Services lads in the backroom can monitor in real time and log your activities online but they own the connection.

Only way around it is to spend 20 a month on a O2/Vodafone/3G USB modem, so you'd be using your own internet unrestricted. O2 are doing a student broadband offer so you could contact them if you want to go down this route, it might produce some savings and you could use it anywhere: at home, in accomodation, in car, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

double GG wrote: »
    I know between the times of 9-17 you cant access such sites as facebook on the college's computers however, can you access them through the college wi-fi with your own laptop? during the times specified?

Yeah you can access facebook and sites like that from your on laptop. They only block it on the desktop so there are pcs free for college work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Dave D wrote: »
    Yeah you can access facebook and sites like that from your on laptop. They only block it on the desktop so there are pcs free for college work.
    Have you done it successfully? Excellent, that's good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Did it last year all the time, haven't had my laptop in college so far this year but I don't see why they would change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ailbheonolan

It depends on which proxy is set on your computer. I wasn't able to last year until after 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 johnnyjo

have to agree with Dave D there.. so far sites like facebook, youtube etc are all accessible to people using laptops etc.. in fact my ipod touch works fine. Except mail app have problems must be ports or something.. just go easy on what your looking at! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Havent brought in my laptop this year. Is the speed/coverage good?

Advertisement