Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derailer snapped off.

• 13-09-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi guys. Has anyone ever had their derailer assembly snap off their bike? Was out doing some off road on Saturday in Connemara, hit a low rock and the derailer snapped off, leaving me stranded with a long walk back to the car. Is there any way to protect against that, other than being more careful generally? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnL

Get yourself a chain tool and power links so that when it happens (fairly common) you can cycle home with a single gear. It is designed to snap off a specific point (usually a replaceable derailleur hanger). It stops more expensive to replace or repair parts being damaged when you clip things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Has anyone ever had their derailer assembly snap off their bike? Was out doing some off road on Saturday in Connemara, hit a low rock and the derailer snapped off, leaving me stranded with a long walk back to the car. Is there any way to protect against that, other than being more careful generally? Cheers.

No but it would be useful to bring a spare frame hanger when out on the bike, there relatively light enough to carry in a saddle bag. I'm assuming that's what snapped and not the deraileur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Incase you need to buy a replacement http://derailleurhanger.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

This happened to me last week during Beasty's hurricane. I never heard of it happening before but apprarently it does. The hangar is designed to break so that the frame is not subject to undue distress. Ritchie's in Swords fixed me up the next day in under an hour. The worst of it was the derailleur got caught up in the spokes. Lucky I was just pullign away from lights. Bent a few spokes and it took a while to get the wheel straightened up again

Advertisement