Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Extra Memory

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

OK guys.
    Something I noticed tonight on my PC. Whilst rendering a video in the software the CPU usage was at 100% and both cores at 100% also. But the RAM usage is abotu 50%. I have included a screenshot and also one of CPU-Z screenshot.

cpuusage.jpg+cpuzka.jpg

Even though i have ordered the extra memory will that fix my problem. I have read that "RAM is used to save data. CPU time is used to process data.

"There is no relationship between CPU and memory usage. A process can occupy all CPUs of a system but use only a minimal amount of memory. Also, a process can allocate all memory available on a system but only use minimal CPU time. So there is no relation between both."

Please advise. I'm a noob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

More cores will always be better for video rendering.

The more rendering threads you have going, the more ram you'll need.

It also depends on what you're rendering, how big the video file is, what sort of detail, effects etc etc

More cores will always be better for video rendering.

Yeah i have noticed on my laptop which has an i3 processor 4GB RAM & quad core it can handle it.
    The more rendering threads you have going, the more ram you'll need.

If i put in the extra RAM will that fix my problem without going down the route of a new mobo.
    It also depends on what you're rendering, how big the video file is, what sort of detail, effects etc etc

Mostly video files with some intro effects and basic transitions. The file sizes range from 1GB to 4GB.

Once again DublinGunner thanks for the info. As I'm a noob I hope i'm learning from this :D

Yeah i have noticed on my laptop which has an i3 processor 4GB RAM & quad core it can handle it.

Yep, a faster, multi core CPU will always be better for rendering videos.
    If i put in the extra RAM will that fix my problem without going down the route of a new mobo.

It can certainly help, but if you intend doing lots of video work, I'd suggest you upgrade to a quad, or hexa core CPU.

Mostly video files with some intro effects and basic transitions. The file sizes range from 1GB to 4GB.

Once again DublinGunner thanks for the info. As I'm a noob I hope i'm learning from this :D

You should be fine doing that stuff - though the points above still hold true.

And no problem, if I have any knowledge to help anyone, I'm more than happy to share!

It can certainly help, but if you intend doing lots of video work, I'd suggest you upgrade to a quad, or hexa core CPU.

Yeah at the moment I'm just dabbling in video work. If I was to do more in the future what CPU would you recommend.

• Advertisement

Yeah at the moment I'm just dabbling in video work. If I was to do more in the future what CPU would you recommend.

You can get a Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition for less than €200. 6 cores of goodness. And an unlocked multiplier.

Phenom II x6 1090T €181

You can get a Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition for less than €200. 6 cores of goodness. And an unlocked multiplier.

Phenom II x6 1090T €181

Yeah that looks very nice. I assume it will work perfect with my current mobo .
    I did read that AMD's are easy to overclock & tweak. I read this post.
    "I managed to turn this boring old dual-core CPU into a quad core, via a very simple BIOS tweak"
    Do you recomment that or just play it safe and upgrade to the Phenom X6 :D

Yeah that looks very nice. I assume it will work perfect with my current mobo .
    I did read that AMD's are easy to overclock & tweak. I read this post.
    "I managed to turn this boring old dual-core CPU into a quad core, via a very simple BIOS tweak"
    Do you recomment that or just play it safe and upgrade to the Phenom X6 :D

If your BIOS has the option for ACC (advanced clock calibration) which I think it does, you should be able to unlock any Phenom II x2 (like the 555 BE €80), turning it basically into a Phenom II x4 955.

However, it cannot be guaranteed that the chip will unlock, but the chances are pretty high.

You do get 6 cores native with the x6 hips obviously though, and no need for messing with the BIOS (though its simple to do).

If you want a cheap quad core Phenom II, then get a Phenom II x2. If you want 6 cores, you'll have to buy a native 6 core.

However, unless you feel you need the extra speed, I wouldn't bother, as with new ram & CPU, I'd have to say build a Sandy Bridge rig instead.

If your BIOS has the option for ACC (advanced clock calibration) which I think it does, you should be able to unlock any Phenom II x2 (like the 555 BE €80), turning it basically into a Phenom II x4 955.

However, it cannot be guaranteed that the chip will unlock, but the chances are pretty high.

You do get 6 cores native with the x6 hips obviously though, and no need for messing with the BIOS (though its simple to do).

If you want a cheap quad core Phenom II, then get a Phenom II x2. If you want 6 cores, you'll have to buy a native 6 core.

However, unless you feel you need the extra speed, I wouldn't bother, as with new ram & CPU, I'd have to say build a Sandy Bridge rig instead.

Right ill see how I go with the new RAM. Then I will decide what i need to do down the road :)
    I'd have to say build a Sandy Bridge rig instead.

Whats that. I googled it but not really get an explanation. Is it just a Jacked up system :D

Right ill see how I go with the new RAM. Then I will decide what i need to do down the road :)

Actually, just realised you have a Phenom ii x2 550. It should be unlockable!

What you need to do is go into your BIOS, and find 'Advanced Clock Calibration'. Set EC Firmware selection to 'Hybrid' and ACC to 'auto'.

You should then have a nice Phenom ii x4 :D

try it and post back. Your board is highly recommended BTW. Its a very good motherboard :)

Whats that. I googled it but not really get an explanation. Is it just a Jacked up system :D

lol

Intel's new chips, code named Sandy Bridge. the new 2500k and 2600k etc with P67 motherboards.

• Advertisement

Actually, just realised you have a Phenom ii x2 550. It should be unlockable!

What you need to do is go into your BIOS, and find 'Advanced Clock Calibration'. Set EC Firmware selection to 'Hybrid' and ACC to 'auto'.

You should then have a nice Phenom ii x4 :D

try it and post back. Your board is highly recommended BTW. Its a very good motherboard :).

OK I did what you suggested. Did it work :D

spds.jpgmemorys.jpgcpus.jpg

OK I did what you suggested. Did it work :D

spds.jpgmemorys.jpgcpus.jpg

I can't tell by looking at the memory tab in CPUz :P

You'd need to look at the main CPU tab.

Press 'ctrl+alt+delete' and go to Task Manager. In the performance tab, you should have 4 CPU Usage History windows if it worked.

I can't tell by looking at the memory tab in CPUz :P

You'd need to look at the main CPU tab. .

I do have the CPU tab screenshot. :D
    Press 'ctrl+alt+delete' and go to Task Manager. In the performance tab, you should have 4 CPU Usage History windows if it worked.

I did that only 2 windows :(

I do have the CPU tab screenshot. :D

I did that only 2 windows :(

And you have definitely changed the settings I outlined above and saved these settings in the BIOS?

And you have definitely changed the settings I outlined above and saved these settings in the BIOS?

Yeah im gonna try it again see if anything else happens :)

OK 1st time i did it wrong :rolleyes:.

Now its changed but shows only 1 core ?

x4changes.jpg

OK 1st time i did it wrong :rolleyes:.

Now its changed but shows only 1 core ?

x4changes.jpg

Do you definitely have both settings changed? Then press 'F10' to save and exit. What BIOS is installed on your board?

Here is a comprehensive guide:
    http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-official-amd-k10-5-core-cache.html

Also try this:
    msconfig --> Boot --> Advanced Options --> Number of Processors. Ensure Windows is set to use 4 cores.

Yeah changed both settings and pressed F10

051stb.jpg

Wonder whats wrong with it :(

Yeah changed both settings and pressed F10

051stb.jpg

Wonder whats wrong with it :(

When its going through POST, does it show your CPU as an x4 of some description?

If not, you may just be extremely unlucky and have a CPU with bad cores :(

Yeha it has X4 in the startup so as you said it could be some bad cores :(.

Ill try to revert back to my original settings. Also maybe look into that processor your suggested the other day

• Advertisement

Try the msconfig fix I posted above. It looks like it unlocked fine. (couldnt view your images in work).

Try the msconfig fix I posted above. It looks like it unlocked fine. (couldnt view your images in work).

I tried that only shows 1 core. When I reverted back to original BIOS setting its back to 2 cores :(

Advertisement