Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lock Review.

• 13-09-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Has anoyone here used/owned this and has a review to share for this lock please.

Magnum Plus Mini Shackle & Extender Cable Bike Lock. - 60.99 on Halfords. Link

Halfords reviews tend towards a bias.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I'd get this one if I were you. Great price for probably the best lock out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Thanks for the link, here's a possible bargin alert though, or more likely a screw up in the promotions on the Halfords site.

If you add both the Krytonite New York Lock and this Magnum Plus Mini Shackle & Extender Cable Bike Lock, you are getting them both for 99.00 (read, buy one get one free!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

The bike accessories in Halfords are extremely overpriced to begin with though! For example I bought a kryptonite evo mini online for less than half the price they sell it in Halfords stores. Shop around online IMO!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hshortt wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, here's a possible bargin alert though, or more likely a screw up in the promotions on the Halfords site.

If you add both the Krytonite New York Lock and this Magnum Plus Mini Shackle & Extender Cable Bike Lock, you are getting them both for 99.00 (read, buy one get one free!) :D

Buy two kryptonite locks for 99 euro instead and sell on the other for 50 or 60 euro

Now we're thinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Now we're thinking :D

Does not happen to often, but I am tempted to call over to them.

sssshhhhhh ;)

It say's on the website that you'd only get the second lock half price.
    I see what you mean though, it displays an incorrect total in the shopping basket!
    Id imagine the mistake will be spotted in the store when you purchase it.
    Let us know how you get on though!;)

Been there, done that. No arguements, no issues.

Been there, done that. No arguements, no issues.

Nice!

Out of interest, what locks did you get?

• Advertisement

2 of the ones linked in my first post. My nearest halfords had none of the Kryptonite ones, and I wanted the cable for around the wheels anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

It say's on the website that you'd only get the second lock half price.
    I see what you mean though, it displays an incorrect total in the shopping basket!
    Id imagine the mistake will be spotted in the store when you purchase it.
    Let us know how you get on though!;)
    The price you see is the price you pay, even if it is cheaper than the usual in store price!
    This kind of makes it difficult to renege on the price they give you online, even if the staff in store reckon it is a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Anyone know what the Aldi locks are like?There only 4.99:)

Guys, just to mention that his has extended to other parts of the site now too. You can get a lot of clothing, shoes, shorts, jackets, gloves etc. All at the same deal which is showing up in the basket at 2 for the price of 1. If any of ye are interested in pooling resources we can get some good deals when teamed up.

For the locks I just reserved online and then printed the reservation and brought to the store. I'll add the posts to the bargin alerts thread.

@RickyBobby1, I wouldn't lock a decent bike with any lock not secure rated. At 4.99 it won't be very secure.

Anyone know what the Aldi locks are like?There only 4.99:)

Cable cutters can cut through them in seconds. Save up a few extra quid and buy yourself a decent U-lock

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

Need to get a lock myself as im starting back at college and reakon il be using the bike alot,
    Looking at the Kryptonite minis - to anyone who has experience using them , is it not hard to find something to lock them to as they are so small or are they just big enough to fit around most bike racks / poles / railings ?

Or what about something like this 1060_dt.jpg LBS has something similar -

Which would be more secure

goods wrote: »
    Kryptonite minis - to anyone who has experience using them , is it not hard to find something to lock them to as they are so small or are they just big enough to fit around most bike racks / poles / railings

I have a Kryptonite mini. It is a small lock but you can get it comfortably around a pole/rack as can be seen in the photo below. With it being so small it also reduces the possibility of using leverage as a means to break open the lock.

dsc_3628.jpg

You can buy the larger version (below) if you require a larger lock.

lsmini2.jpg

For real secure peace of mind the Kryptonite new york 3000 would be a good U-lock to get

IMG_1281.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

I would highly recommend any product by Kryptonite. A few years back I locked my mountain bike with the Newyork lock & chain in a secure area. Somebody attempted to steal the bike while I was away, they didnt get very far. The lock looked as if he took a sledge hammer to it and a cutting tool, but he had no luck. Thankfully my bike was still there (mind you I had to replace the chainset and front derailleur) with a few dints. I still use the lock and it works well although it looks like it has been through rough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clydes

Does anyone know about Trelock

Trelock MB550 U-Lock - Secure Your Bicycle or Motorcycle

• Brand: Trelock
    • Type: MB550
    • U-Lock
    • Perfect for bicycle or motorcycle
    • Special TREDUR alloy
    • Diameter: 16 mm
    • ARMADON armored lock
    • Precision locking cylinder
    • Double roll locking
    • Anti spread protection
    • 7 tons traction resistance
    • Corrosion resistant
    • TREDUR allow resists: sawing, cutting, impact, bending, freeze spraying
    • Reversible key
    • Soft-touch outdoor impact-resistant caps
    • Dust cap
    • Security level: 5
    • Delivery time: 4 to 7 working days
    • Dimensions: 108 x 300 mm
    • Weight: 1.7 kg
    • Warranty: 2 years
    Price: € 19,95

The cost of posatge is €12.50 and can be shared in a group buy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Clydes wrote: »
    Does anyone know about Trelock

Trelock MB550 U-Lock - Secure Your Bicycle or Motorcycle

Price: € 19,95

The cost of posatge is €12.50 and can be shared in a group buy situation.

I saw this on iBood this morning, its only a Level 5 lock, wouldn't be bothered with it. You need to get a Kryptonite as far as I can see. I've got two, a light one (the Grey U-Lock can't remember the name) for the quick trip into Spar and the heavy New York one for locking for extended periods like at work. O-Locks seem to get the best ratings but I've yet to see one. Actually scratch that This seems to be the bees knees

• Advertisement
Advertisement