Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about getting a kitten...

Options
  • 13-09-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Myself and the OH are thinking about getting a Kitten. We live in an apartment complex so we wont want to be letting it out (mainly because there are a lot of Feral cats that are living around the building). I know this probably seems like a fairly assinine question but what sort of things can we expect? I have always been a dog person so this is a bit new for me so im thinking chewed furniture and hair everywhere... What would be the best toys/utilities for a cat to have (like bed or scrathing post)? When we do get it should we worm it straight away or bring it to a vet? I am planning on getting a rescue Kitten from the DSPCA so would they do it already?

Any help would be appreciated cos I have not a clue what to expect... Also any general information would be great!

Ste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

ok the DSPCA are great, i got one of my cats there. It cost me €80 to adopt the kitten but the kitten had been treated for worms and fleas and they give you all the information you need about how to do it and when to do it again etc. They also microchip the kitten for you and then they call you back when the kitten is 6 months old to be nuterued (very good price) They will advise you on what food to feed the kitten and how much you should give and when. Remember cats shouldnt get milk they are generally lactose intolerent.

If its going to be an indoor kitten then you need a litter tray i got this one a few weeks back and its fantastic no more smells http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8702410/Trail/searchtext%3ECATS.htm.

Scratching post is essential if you want to keep your furniture scratch free. Kittens love to play you can pick up toy mice and little balls in the pound shops for only €2 and these will keep them entertained. they also love if you hold a piece of string up high so they can jump and try and catch it.

Kittens need to be vaccinated each year against cat flu, some vets will also vaccinate against feline luckemia.

All in all there great little pets, there easy to look after (they pretty much entertain themselves) and there hillarious to watch hours of entertainment especially if you have two they have company all the time and someone to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Particularly if it's going to be indoors-only, I'd be getting two kittens. Great company for each other, they can play together, explore together and cuddle up together. :) Small kittens really pine for company when left on their own and you might find if you only get one kitten that it cries constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

blondie7 wrote: »
    ok the DSPCA are great, i got one of my cats there. It cost me €80 to adopt the kitten but the kitten had been treated for worms and fleas and they give you all the information you need about how to do it and when to do it again etc. They also microchip the kitten for you and then they call you back when the kitten is 6 months old to be nuterued (very good price) They will advise you on what food to feed the kitten and how much you should give and when. Remember cats shouldnt get milk they are generally lactose intolerent.

If its going to be an indoor kitten then you need a litter tray i got this one a few weeks back and its fantastic no more smells http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8702410/Trail/searchtext%3ECATS.htm.

Scratching post is essential if you want to keep your furniture scratch free. Kittens love to play you can pick up toy mice and little balls in the pound shops for only €2 and these will keep them entertained. they also love if you hold a piece of string up high so they can jump and try and catch it.

Kittens need to be vaccinated each year against cat flu, some vets will also vaccinate against feline luckemia.

All in all there great little pets, there easy to look after (they pretty much entertain themselves) and there hillarious to watch hours of entertainment especially if you have two they have company all the time and someone to play with.
    boomerang wrote: »
    Particularly if it's going to be indoors-only, I'd be getting two kittens. Great company for each other, they can play together, explore together and cuddle up together. :) Small kittens really pine for company when left on their own and you might find if you only get one kitten that it cries constantly.

Thanks guys for the help...

actually im fairly okay with the rest of the stuff i just dont need the house getting scratched to bits! Is there any way we can prevent that? I wont need to put down a plastic coating on the chairs and tables or anything like that...will i? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Myself and the OH are thinking about getting a Kitten. We live in an apartment complex so we wont want to be letting it out (mainly because there are a lot of Feral cats that are living around the building). I know this probably seems like a fairly assinine question but what sort of things can we expect? I have always been a dog person so this is a bit new for me so im thinking chewed furniture and hair everywhere... What would be the best toys/utilities for a cat to have (like bed or scrathing post)? When we do get it should we worm it straight away or bring it to a vet? I am planning on getting a rescue Kitten from the DSPCA so would they do it already?

Any help would be appreciated cos I have not a clue what to expect... Also any general information would be great!

Ste

Make sure to get a covered litter box with a flap. Makes a big difference with the smell! :)

A scratching post is a must really.

My cat also loves this cardboard scratch box that we got him. Uses it more than the expensive scratching post cat tree combo we bought him.

Get a cat nail trimmer and learn how to trim a cats nails. Theres plenty of info online and for us it stops any furniture scratching issues. Couldn't recommend this more! Our cat doesn't mind us doing it at all as long as hes sleepy and relaxed.

You should bring it to vet to be wormed vaccinated and spayed/neutered as soon as you can. Even though it will be indoor only I would still reccomend getting it spayed/neutered as some cats can start to spray (urine) on furniture etc after puberty. Also helps prevent cancers etc. Most vets will spay/neuter at around six months.

Cat bed

Cat carrier for vet visits etc (our cat also uses it as a bed)

Collar and name tag with your address and phone number in case of accidental escape!

If hes indoor only you should get cat grass for him to eat they need it for their digestive system. You should be able to buy it in any good pet store.

Lots of toys and love! :)

Our kitten got into everything so anything valuable had to be kept out of its reach. He especially lived destroying anything wicker and biting the heads off all our flowers and plants! Fortunatly as they get older they become a lot less destructive!

Make sure to get a covered litter box with a flap. Makes a big difference with the smell! :)

A scratching post is a must really.

My cat also loves this cardboard scratch box that we got him. Uses it more than the expensive scratching post cat tree combo we bought him.

Get a cat nail trimmer and learn how to trim a cats nails. Theres plenty of info online and for us it stops any furniture scratching issues. Couldn't recommend this more! Our cat doesn't mind us doing it at all as long as hes sleepy and relaxed.

You should bring it to vet to be wormed vaccinated and spayed/neutered as soon as you can. Even though it will be indoor only I would still reccomend getting it spayed/neutered as some cats can start to spray (urine) on furniture etc after puberty. Also helps prevent cancers etc. Most vets will spay/neuter at around six months.

Cat bed

Cat carrier for vet visits etc (our cat also uses it as a bed)

Collar and name tag with your address and phone number in case of accidental escape!

If hes indoor only you should get cat grass for him to eat they need it for their digestive system. You should be able to buy it in any good pet store.

Lots of toys and love! :)

Our kitten got into everything so anything valuable had to be kept out of its reach. He especially lived destroying anything wicker and biting the heads off all our flowers and plants! Fortunatly as they get older they become a lot less destructive!

ha thanks for that!

As above would it be a good idea to get 2? Myself and my girlfriend will either be in work/college during the daytime so i dont know if it would be fair to leave them there (either to them or our stuff). If there were 2 of them would it be easier for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Any time we have got kittens we have always had two together. They are so entertaining and will be so happy together.

One word of warning. Move anything breakable off the mantlepiece and block up the chimney if you have one. Also leave the loo seat down at all times as my aunt lost a kitten through drowning when he fell into the toilet. They are highly inquisitive and can climb up anything, so be prepared for a few breakages

Don't let this put you off as it really only lasts a short (ahem!) while.
    You will get it back in spades with all the purring and affection from them.

Best of luck and photos please!

ha thanks for that!

As above would it be a good idea to get 2? Myself and my girlfriend will either be in work/college during the daytime so i dont know if it would be fair to leave them there (either to them or our stuff). If there were 2 of them would it be easier for them?

Two would be great for them if you are willing to do that. I'd get two from the same litter if you can.

Our cat is an only indoor cat but we are lucky enough to have a back garden that he can play in and cannot escape (another advantage of trimming his nails ;)) One of the neighbours kittens comes over the fence every day to play with him. She isn't here today for some reason and my poor cat has been moping around all day, doesn't know what to do with himself!

Two would be great if you are willing to do that. I'd get two from the same litter if you can.

Our cat is an only indoor cat but we are lucky enough to have a back garden that he can play in and cannot escape (another advantage of trimming his nails ;)) One of the neighbours kittens comes over the fence every day to play with him. She isn't here today for some reason and my poor cat has been moping around all day, doesn't know what to do with himself!

Ha yeah it'll be a bit unusual for me to have a cat around because ive only ever had dogs!

One thing i am concerned about is the cat climbing out the window... there is a 20 foot drop outside. Is there any meshing or nets that would be useful for blocking this?

Ha yeah it'll be a bit unusual for me to have a cat around because ive only ever had dogs!

One thing i am concerned about is the cat climbing out the window... there is a 20 foot drop outside. Is there any meshing or nets that would be useful for blocking this?

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/window_protection

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/cat_nets/cat_nets/127595

http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Cat_Window_Grills.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My cat is a year old and still legs it around like a lunatic (after flies mainly) and literally is still climbing the curtains which i thought he'd have grown out of by now. By hte time ive caught him hes 3/4 the way up. Bedroom curtains are wrecked...! Ive had broken vases and carpets clawed so if you're anyway fussy about your stuff definitely think about getting one. Cats are BRILLIANT but be prepared for alot of accidents.

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    My cat is a year old and still legs it around like a lunatic (after flies mainly) and literally is still climbing the curtains which i thought he'd have grown out of by now. By hte time ive caught him hes 3/4 the way up. Bedroom curtains are wrecked...! Ive had broken vases and carpets clawed so if you're anyway fussy about your stuff definitely think about getting one. Cats are BRILLIANT but be prepared for alot of accidents.

To be honest we dont really have to much breakable stuff lying aound... just mostly a telly and thats its and a couple of DVDs. its just the furniture im worries about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

To be honest we dont really have to much breakable stuff lying aound... just mostly a telly and thats its and a couple of DVDs. its just the furniture im worries about!
    I really dont want to put you off getting a kitten at all but i also have claw marks on my cream leather couch. I cant control what he gets up to when im not there and like you i dont want to go catproofing everything i own so i just have to accept it unfortunately. He gets to go outside often aswell and has 2 scratching posts so hes not doing it out of boredom.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I really dont want to put you off getting a kitten at all but i also have claw marks on my cream leather couch. I cant control what he gets up to when im not there and like you i dont want to go catproofing everything i own so i just have to accept it unfortunately. He gets to go outside often aswell and has 2 scratching posts so hes not doing it out of boredom.

Hmm... The couch is black so i guess it would not be as noticeable.

I guess i kind of just want to get all of the information first before i get one so i at least have an idea what to expect!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

For those of you with cat scratching issues, I would highly recommend a product called Soft Paws. They simply glue over the claw, and will naturally fall off when the outer layer of the claw sheds, which is every 8-10 weeks or so. http://www.softpaws.com/

Might be something you consider OP, if you're concerned about furniture/carpets getting plucked. I started mine off with them as soon as we got them. :)

I'd also highly recommend getting 2 over just 1 alone. Being together seems to being them out of themselves a little, so rather than a frightened kitten hiding under the sofa for the first few days, you get two active, romping, playing bouncing kittens from day one! They will also naturally play together while you're not around to entertain them, and watching them interact together is always hilarious.

hi guys,

just an update. we got the 2 kittens from the DSPCA earlier :-) i'll put up some pics when i get the chance as we are currently watching them run around the house!

thanks for the help!

Advertisement