Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college exams

• 13-09-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

i was told that if you do a plc and go on to college that you dont have to do certain exams, provided the plc is related to the college course.
    anyone know for sure??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

i don't think the universities allow it but i know in some of the IoT's you can get exemptions for prior learning. eg, some IoT courses have communications style modules in them that you will have already covered most of in Fetac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i was told that if you do a plc and go on to college that you dont have to do certain exams, provided the plc is related to the college course.
    anyone know for sure??

Perhaps if it is a FETAC Level 6 course that you do. I've never heard of it for a FETAC Level 5 which is what most people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

No exemptions are granted for FETAC Level 5 qualifications in Institutes of technology (IoTs) or Universities. They are only used to meet entry criteria and in that case you will have to have a full FETAC Level 5 award and get certain grades.

Once you get in you will start in Year 1 and complete the same modules as Leaving Cert students who have enrolled on the course. However with your FETAC Level 5 in that vocational area you will have an added advantage.

In some cases exemptions are granted for FETAC Level 6 awards and students may gain advanced entry ie progress in Year 2 of the IoT course rather than start in Year 1. This is at the discretion of the IoT and is usually agreed between the FE centre and the IoT so check with your tutor or centre rather than rely on what you heard. Many FE centres tailor their Level 6 courses and the modules they offer to suit nearby IoTs. It mainly applies to IoT courses rather than University courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

No exemptions are granted for FETAC Level 5 qualifications in Institutes of technology (IoTs) or Universities. They are only used to meet entry criteria and in that case you will have to have a full FETAC Level 5 award and get certain grades.

Once you get in you will start in Year 1 and complete the same modules as Leaving Cert students who have enrolled on the course. However with your FETAC Level 5 in that vocational area you will have an added advantage.

In some cases exemptions are granted for FETAC Level 6 awards and students may gain advanced entry ie progress in Year 2 of the IoT course rather than start in Year 1. This is at the discretion of the IoT and is usually agreed between the FE centre and the IoT so check with your tutor or centre rather than rely on what you heard. Many FE centres tailor their Level 6 courses and the modules they offer to suit nearby IoTs. It mainly applies to IoT courses rather than University courses.
    Thanks for clearing that up. could'nt find any info on it on the internet.

Advertisement