Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modal Windows and SEO

Options
  • 13-09-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

Looking for advise on the use of Modal windows on a website and the effect they have from an SEO point if any.....

Thanks
    Cailin_Deas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

What exactly are your plans for the modal windows?

It's hard to say what effect it will have on your website as a whole without knowing what you plan to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cailin_Deas

Hi Tom
    thanks for your reply. We are building a new website and instead of links to various pdf documents along the side of the page we were thinking of have a link with the various docs within a modal window. Just wondering if the spiders will recognise these docs as there is valuable info within the pdfs. we intend to optimise the pdf docs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Hi Tom
    thanks for your reply. We are building a new website and instead of links to various pdf documents along the side of the page we were thinking of have a link with the various docs within a modal window. Just wondering if the spiders will recognise these docs as there is valuable info within the pdfs. we intend to optimise the pdf docs.

Thanks

It really depends on what you expect to achieve. Google will index the links etc from modal windows - but you aren't neccessarily giving it the best change of being indexed if that makes sense.

If I felt the content in my PDFs was extremely important, I personally wouldn't put them up as PDF's but as proper HTML pages so Google can slurp up this nice unique content.

You will never be able to optimise a PDF document as well as a HTML page, so why put up a barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Modal windows are fine for SEO provided your HREF link is linking to the correct document (rather than just putting a # in there and using a class and JavaScript to define the path). Search Engines will simply ignore the modal event and carry on through to the document itself.

I know that SE's do index PDF content but I'm not 100% sure of the drawbacks of PDF's and SEO (if any). I'd imagine HTML content is given far more weight and relevance.

Advertisement