Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Chicken Fillets in Dublin

Options
  • 13-09-2010 12:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to start eating a lot more chicken dishes but chicken fillets are generally quite expensive.

Does anyone know a shop or butchers that do a good deal on chicken fillets either in the city centre or the Dun Laoghaire area?

I'm perfectly happy to buy a load of them at the one time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mick Doyles butcher in the bottom floor of dun laoghaire shopping centre usually has good deals, lots of combo deals like 5 fillets, 5 chops and some mince for €XX.

I used to get 10 fillets for €10 there, not sure if it is still on. It is the type of place you could chance your arm and ask "is that 10 fillets for €10 still on" and they might let you have it, even if not listed. They have loads of deals listed on boards around the place so it doesn't even look like you're a chancer!

The butchers across from sallynoggin church also do 10 for 10, they average about 130-140g too which is a reasonable size. This works out about €7.30 per kilo, the cheapest in tesco is about €8.40 per kilo.

Also consider whole chickens (though I hate getting rid of the waste). I got a large chicken in dunnes and the fillets were 350g each, I think it was €7 so worked out €10 per kilo for the breasts alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cheers I'll have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

I wouldn't go cheap with chicken if I were you. If you don't buy organic, then god only knows what you're eating. Most chickens are factory farmed and pumped with antibiotics, same applies to most poultry unfortunately. Although some types can be polluted with mercury and are not entirely healthy, fish would be a healthier choice overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I wouldn't go cheap with chicken if I were you. If you don't buy organic, then god only knows what you're eating. Most chickens are factory farmed and pumped with antibiotics, same applies to most poultry unfortunately. Although some types can be polluted with mercury and are not entirely healthy, fish would be a healthier choice overall.

I've been eating my cheap chicken for years and I'm fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

M&S* wrote: »
    I've been eating my cheap chicken for years and I'm fine.

Good for you.:D It depends how often you consume it. Not everybody suffers adverse effects obviously and it often takes years for these to kick in.
    Eating cheap chicken tends to affects my digestive system, which is very sensitive to unhealthy food. Not everyone's digestive system is the same obviously.
    Each to his own, but personally I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to my health. Somehow eating a diet of organic foods makes me feel much better both mentally and physically, I'm sure I'm not alone there! You are what you eat as the old adage goes. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement