Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Thursday Surf in Cork

Options
  • 13-09-2010 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Due to get myself a longboard tomorrow so plan on going to the beach with a few friends on thursday. Don't really have time to be driving all the way to west cork from the city so was wondering if there was any beaches that are not too far off that wouldn't be bad for a surf? Such as inch in the midleton direction etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bicker

There is a lad on here occassionaly would be able to help you, deal is you tell him where you'd like to surf, when, type of board, desireable conditions etc. and he puts it all together for you so that you don't have to expend any effort whatsoever. Simples. Can't remember his name though, something like oh mighty one, do a search, if you can spare the time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

id say head to garretstown its only 40 mins from the city nice longboarding waves! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Inch Beach (Outside Midleton) Can be a little hit or miss, at times.
    It works best when there was a South Easterly wind blowing for a few days.
    Inch is about the same distance, from Cork, as Garretstown.
    Fennels Bay (Outside Crosshaven) Can be good sometimes.

Happy Surfing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

Fennels Bay (Outside Crosshaven) Can be good sometimes.

Just be aware, Fennels Bay is not a beginners break....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoin_murphy

Garretstown is probably the shortest trip from the city centre. It's a safe enough beach but it can get very crowded.
    http://magicseaweed.com/Garretstown-Surf-Report/1227/

If there's only white water there (usually because of too strong an offshore wind) then check out Garrylucas around the corner. (just keep on driving towards the old head from Garretstown - it's only 1 km down the road).
    Just watch out for the kite surfers who seem to have taken that beach over.

Inchedony outside clonakility is the next surfable beach going west.
    http://92.60.192.245/cgi-bin/guestimage.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

This type of post is ridiculous. Someone who is too lazy to find out about what waves work under what conditions, comes onto a forum asking without providing any details of level of ability or what type of wave they are looking for.

I am surprised that surferdude or eoin_murphy have not yet offered to drive down, pick up the first lad, drive him out to show him all the spots, help him into his wetty and whisk him out the back.

Spoonfeeding gone mad

yes and no.

I would take it that Corkfeen is either a beginner or are new to the area (given that they don't even seem to be aware of a popular beginner beach such as G-town or Inchedony) and as such I think it's reasonable to ask on a surfing forum for some suggestions on where to go.

I mean if I was a beginner, asked a similar question and was told "drive around and find one yourself" I probably wouldn't want anything else to do with the forum.

You say lazy, but as a beginner/non-local asking for a few suggestions is hardly out of order?

On the flip side someone coming on and asking "I'm looking for a right hander which is good with a south west swell" or other secret spots, then yeah, it's fair enough to tell them to do the grunt work themselves. If I thought they could do it themselves I wouldn't have replied and would agree with you that they're lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

quick question. How can you tell from weather charts, if the wind is expected to ease off over the next few days, or is it as simple as going to the rte site and reading their forecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Isobars close together = windy :rolleyes:

Or look at some of the wind forecasting sites

Isobars close together = windy :rolleyes:

Or look at some of the wind forecasting sites

true. brainfart from me.... I checked it in the meantime... I'm getting there... :(:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

seachto7 wrote: »
    quick question. How can you tell from weather charts, if the wind is expected to ease off over the next few days, or is it as simple as going to the rte site and reading their forecast...

Check out this: http://www.windguru.cz/int/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Think i'll head down the garretstown direction, thanks for the help. Ya i'm entirely a beginner, i'm googling lots but theres loads to take in and its handy to get people with experience for a few tips. Been waiting years to learn how to surf properly.:cool:

Sorry for being so ridiculous Oldguysrule....:D

CRenegade wrote: »

Nice one. I'll have to go study the symbols and get used to that site properly, looks like it has more than enough info for me...
    I'm of the opinion that if the trees are blowing around here in Limk, then the coast is defo going to be too windy....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

tell me more about fennels bay????????...... O.o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Garretstown is probably the shortest trip from the city centre. It's a safe enough beach but it can get very crowded.
    http://magicseaweed.com/Garretstown-Surf-Report/1227/

If there's only white water there (usually because of too strong an offshore wind) then check out Garrylucas around the corner. (just keep on driving towards the old head from Garretstown - it's only 1 km down the road).
    Just watch out for the kite surfers who seem to have taken that beach over.

Inchedony outside clonakility is the next surfable beach going west.
    http://92.60.192.245/cgi-bin/guestimage.html

You mean onshore??

NickDrake wrote: »
    You mean onshore??

Nope. Basically an onshore wind would hold up the waves for longer before they break, while an offshore wind will knock them over and so, instead of nice clean waves you get nothing but whitewater.*

*This is a huge generalisation and will probably be disputed by someone wit more experience than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Nope. Basically an onshore offshore wind would hold up the waves for longer before they break, while an offshore onshore wind will knock them over and so, instead of nice clean waves you get nothing but whitewater.*

What Nick was trying to tell ya bud... ;)

Nope. Basically an onshore wind would hold up the waves for longer before they break, while an offshore wind will knock them over and so, instead of nice clean waves you get nothing but whitewater.*

*This is a huge generalisation and will probably be disputed by someone wit more experience than me.

No you have it wrong there again man. It is the other way around. Offshore holds up the waves.

No you have it wrong there again man. It is the other way around. Offshore holds up the waves.

Yes, sorry, you're totally right. I always get the two mixed up. :(

Yes, sorry, you're totally right. I always get the two mixed up. :(

Oh for gods sake, this is madness, not only do you risk your own life (and the poor coast guard who have to try and save your ass) but you were willing to send some other womble out with wrong info because you got mixed up ???? And you always get mixed up ???? Thats verging on criminal.

Isn't it time that wetsuit/board suppliers refuse to sell equipment to beginners until they can demonstrate an ability to understand and, more importantly, respect the ocean and its willful ways ? Or must we wait until some idiots body is dragged out of the sea having been told by someone on boards (who got mixed up again) thats its cool to surf a reef on a soft board in a 20 ft swell with an onshore gale ???

Lets get this straight, You do not learn how to surf on the internet, and you do not trust, ever, the advice of somebody else on the internet. You pay a surf instuctor, and you get advice from those who sell equipment, face to face.

Madness, sheer bloody madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Ah come on, did you not realise surfing is now being whored to all and sundry.

Wait til sup'ing takes off.
    They end is looming.

Personally, I'm looking into table tennis clubs

Bicker wrote: »
    having been told by someone on boards (who got mixed up again) thats its cool to surf a reef on a soft board in a 20 ft swell with an onshore gale ???

So are you saying its cool or did you get mixed up? :pac:

kodute wrote: »
    So are you saying its cool or did you get mixed up? :pac:

What a funny guy, your really special, a mothers pride and joy. Tell me, do you do funerals ? Or do you only perform at travellers weddings ? I'm sure I could get you some bookings, talent like yours is always in great demand.

Or must we wait until some idiots body is dragged out of the sea having been told by someone on boards (who got mixed up again) thats its cool to surf a reef on a soft board in a 20 ft swell with an onshore gale ???

Yes that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

I get that you don't want beginners getting in over their head. Taking on breaks they're not ready for. And yes I agree, if you're a total beginner, go take some classes first. Apart from being safer for you and everyone else, getting started with surfing can be tough and disheartening. Practise somewhere safe with someone who know's what they're doing.

But mixing up the term offshore and onshore when describing ideal wind conditions is hardly the same as telling someone who's never been out on a board before to tackle a 20foot reef break.

Someone who's clearly a beginner comes on the board and asks where's a good place to go. I pointed out a very well known beginner beach (as safe as any beach can be) and described good conditions. I also said that if the waves were too big/unsurfable that the beach next door would probably be better/safer. I assumed they knew the basics at least but I probably should have pointed them in the direction of the local surf schools as well.

The fact is I'd rather have beginners coming looking for some advice rather than wandering off and just jumping in at the first promising looking beach they see (or paddling out into 20ft reef breaks as beginners always seem to want to do).

As with any advice you'll ever get on surfing, you're responsible for your own decisions. It's always up to you to decide if a particular break is within your capabilities. And it's always your own responsibility to be safe.

I agree. You get thick people in all walks of like, that's why they created Health and Safety Officers, to police idiots in the workplace ;);)

Anyone who just buys a board, and just heads into the sea with zero research is an idiot. That goes for people who just decide to go swimming in the sea without researching the beach they are going to. Is it dangerous,rips, etc.

What a funny guy, your really special, a mothers pride and joy. Tell me, do you do funerals ? Or do you only perform at travellers weddings ? I'm sure I could get you some bookings, talent like yours is always in great demand.

Living up to your username, cool!

Yes that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

I get that you don't want beginners getting in over their head. Taking on breaks they're not ready for. And yes I agree, if you're a total beginner, go take some classes first. Apart from being safer for you and everyone else, getting started with surfing can be tough and disheartening. Practise somewhere safe with someone who know's what they're doing.

But mixing up the term offshore and onshore when describing ideal wind conditions is hardly the same as telling someone who's never been out on a board before to tackle a 20foot reef break.

Someone who's clearly a beginner comes on the board and asks where's a good place to go. I pointed out a very well known beginner beach (as safe as any beach can be) and described good conditions. I also said that if the waves were too big/unsurfable that the beach next door would probably be better/safer. I assumed they knew the basics at least but I probably should have pointed them in the direction of the local surf schools as well.

The fact is I'd rather have beginners coming looking for some advice rather than wandering off and just jumping in at the first promising looking beach they see (or paddling out into 20ft reef breaks as beginners always seem to want to do).

As with any advice you'll ever get on surfing, you're responsible for your own decisions. It's always up to you to decide if a particular break is within your capabilities. And it's always your own responsibility to be safe.

You didnt tell him the right conditions. You said to go when it is onshore. G-town while safe enough but is not safe when swell is big and you are just starting off. There is a rip down the west end when its big.

In general its a safe beach. No harm to know the warnings and to go when its OFFSHORE or a slight wind crossshore.onshore.

You didnt tell him the right conditions. You said to go when it is onshore. G-town while safe enough but is not safe when swell is big and you are just starting off. There is a rip down the west end when its big.

In general its a safe beach. No harm to know the warnings and to go when its OFFSHORE or a slight wind crossshore.onshore.

Yes, I made a mistake which you rightly pointed out.

But there's a big difference between correcting a mistake and ripping the s**t out of me for daring to give any advice at all.

And as you say it is in general a safe beach. It's a lot safer than some others down that direction with two surfing schools and a crowd nearly always out there there's at least the scope to get some advice on the ground. And I still think it's better to have pointed someone to a safer beach than let them wander around themselves. Even if the conditions I described were wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement