Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2010 Video Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Interview with Anthony Davidson about the game from Autosport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Can't wait for this to come out. I'll be getting it for 360.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Come onnnn... get released already. :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Gonna grab this myself on pc.

PC version all the way for me, already tonnes of simracing communities planning private leagues ie guaranteed clean racing plus it will look better on pc too.

My young lad wants it too so ill grab him the 360 version.

You can preorder it on steam now for 40 euros.

Just to add the following i copied from the iracing members forum where one of the guys reported about his review code of the game [PC version]

Hey chaps

I picked up my F1 2010 review code (PC) on Friday, and sunk about 5 hours into it yesterday. I can't go into too much detail for risk of breaking the embargo, but I can make a few general points:

1.) Eye watering visuals. Without doubt the sexiest racing game I've ever seen. I'm running all settings maxed, 1920 x 1080 with 4XAA, on my i5@3.8GHz, GTX 470 and 8GB DDR3, and it run super smoothly. The rain effects are sublime, but the real star of the show are the tracks. There's just so much stuff in the background that I'm often distracted by the view.

2.) Handling is not as hardcore as iRacing. While the cars have a propensity to spin if you apply too much gas coming out of a corner, they don't appear to mind if you drive them across the grass at 150km/h. I've lost count of the number of times I've cut a corner, with hardly any slowdown as a result. The force feedback also isn't quite as lovely as iRacing - it is good, but iRacing's bumps and steering feel more realistic.

3.) Car damage is quite forgiving. At times it feels almost like bumper cars - I'll often make contact with other vehicles, rubbing tires, with no penalty. I've got damage cranked to full, and full race penalties enabled. I'm more often given a penalty by the stewards than seeing any physical damage.

4.) The sound engine is superb. The screaming whine of the F1 engines are captured beautifully, as is the trackside ambiance.

5.) The AI is brutally hard. I've set it to amateur, and have come last in every race so far. It's quite strange - while the handling seems easy when set to full real, the AI is still hard when set to its most basic.

6.) Overall the game is fantastic fun. While hardcore simmers may dislike the ability to drive over grass and bump and grind with other cars, most racers will love the way the game makes you feel like an F1 driver, piloting a rocket ship on wheels.

I can't say too much more, but I thought it'd be best to get people's expectations in line with the final product. The game is 95% there as a hardcore sim - it just needs the off-road and contact behaviour to be tweaked to make it perfect for iRacing fans. Hopefully this will be moddable by the community, or perhaps Codies could be persuaded to release a "Hardcore mode" as DLC that is much more punishing in this regard.

Enough talk from me - got to write for the rest of today so I can play more tonight.

• Advertisement

No problem Lightning.

Ill update as he updates, hes just answered a few questions from some members.

Does it have that "riding on a beachball effect" that we had in NFS Shift and other arcade racers or does the car feel it actually has 4 tires?
    Feels very precise and glued to the road - like a real F1 I'd guess. Can oversteer with too much RPM on corner exit though.

How is the handling on a wet track?
    Much more slippery than dry.

Are any bumps simulated or are the tracks smooth?
    Yep, lots of little bumps - seems to vary by track as well.

Does the AI defend properly and overtake as well?
    Hard to tell only 5 hours in - seems a little... accommodating? i.e. gets out of the way for me? Note that I'm playing on Amateur AI, so I'd assume Pro AI is entirely different.

in the graphics options do they have settings for triple screens?
    Not that I can see, but it may not show up unless you've got three screens.

I'm not sure if I'll get this on pc or PS3
    If you've got a gutsy PC it'll be far better than PS3.

Just watched Lewis Hamilton cut the chicane whilst playing against his bro and Jake Humphries on BBC 1 F1 coverage.
    I hope there is a penalty system for online play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

They had Lewis Hamilton and his brother and Jake humphrey playing this before the F1 race today it looks absolutely brilliant, they kept flicking between the game and real life i got confused it is going to be some game i can wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Dcully wrote: »
    Just watched Lewis Hamilton cut the chicane whilst playing against his bro and Jake Humphries on BBC 1 F1 coverage.
    I hope there is a penalty system for online play.

still playing iracing cully? just resubed the other day forgot how good and difficult it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

ill be picking this up as well cant wait 4 it

• Advertisement

Grim. wrote: »
    still playing iracing cully? just resubed the other day forgot how good and difficult it is

Yeah still subbed mate, dont race too much as i simply dont have the time needed to be competitive.
    Raced in the 24 hour de fun a while back and actually lined up beside Marcos Ambrose in the V8s, watched his replays and fcuk me the guy is silky smooth.
    Also had a Nascar truck practice session which included AJ Allmendinger.
    Tis an incredible sim.

Back to this F1 game, someone asked the guy with review code about what i mentioned earlier when Hamilton was playing with his bro , his reply was

The game will usually dish out a penalty if you cut too severely.

Lads any questions yas want me to ask him feel free to post them here, ive pmed him and he says he will answer what he can.
    Having played large amounts of time playing GTR2,rfactor online its a bit of pain where some guys have some uber-setup and they just vanish into the horizon

I agree and i like the idea of not swamping the user down with setups.
    What i will say is in iracing ive always used setups the fast guys post on forums and find one that suits my style but im still nowhere near as fast as the top sim racers like Gregor Huttu,Richard Towler,Brad Davies etc.
    Some series have fixed setups and the fast guys are always the pick of the bunch.
    Thankfully iracing grades everyone and has many different leagues for different skilll levels.
    Thats also what i like about iracing , the cream will always rise to the top but the negative to this is casual guys like myself that suck at setups will always have a huge disadvantage.
    Looks like Codemasters listened to the sim communities out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Dcully, will fuel there be fuel management like real life or simply drive flat out the entire race?

Perhaps fuel management on the harder levels maybe, that would make things really interesting!

Johnnysmack ill wait a while to see if i get more questions before i put them to the guy, dont want to bombard him with many pm`s.

Ill take a stab at answering, im pretty sure it will have fuel management, id imagine if it wasnt featured we would have hear about it from the simracing community atleast.
    Your probably correct about it in harder levels, if its anything like other simsit will have an on/off feature or time scaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Thanks, be class if it did.

And not to derail the thread but what are these sim racing communities and how do i get involved!!

Is it all PC based?

Merged this with the new F1 2010 thread that was duplicated from the motorsports forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

There are some good hands-on gameplay videos to be found here -

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamVVV#p/u/2/edt5jEPIF74

Laps of Suzuka including some wet weather driving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGibGlUPD4

Plus, IGN have posted a review.

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1120745p1.html

Can't wait for next Friday!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anyone fancy an F1 event at the weekend? :pac:

Anyone fancy an F1 event at the weekend? :pac:

What format you getting it on cherryghost?
    Ill most likely join a league for pc, all aids off etc.
    Tonnes of them already planned at the usual simracing communities.

Another video from your man on VVV gamer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTg0hZ0P0t0&feature=player_embedded

Very sloppy driving however, hes constantly sawing at the wheel even in a straight line.
    Ofcourse its tricky to speak and concentrate on driving at same time but for a good while he says nothing and still sawing at the wheel.
    Fingers crossed hes not compensating for the input lag we saw in his first video.

• Advertisement

What format you getting it on cherryghost?
    Ill most likely join a league for pc, all aids off etc.
    Tonnes of them already planned at the usual simracing communities.

Another video from your man on VVV gamer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTg0hZ0P0t0&feature=player_embedded

Very sloppy driving however, hes constantly sawing at the wheel even in a straight line.
    Ofcourse its tricky to speak and concentrate on driving at same time but for a good while he says nothing and still sawing at the wheel.
    Fingers crossed hes not compensating for the input lag we saw in his first video.

I'll be playing on PC also. Would there be enough PC interest to garner a boards league?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is there a demo anywhere for this game? The PS3 version

No demos are being released. It will be in the shops this Friday though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thats a bit weird is it? Why no demo?

New video, one of the better ones.
    The ai look too slow to me especially in the corners,apparently the ai in the vid are set to legendary ie the max they can be.
    To me they seem too easy to pass under braking in every video ive seen :(
    Hope this is not the case,i want this thing to be challenge when racing with legendary ai and all aids off.
    On the positive side of ai theres a cracking battle with Glocks ai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIfXf3RLpU&feature=player_embedded

New video, one of the better ones.
    The ai look too slow to me especially in the corners,apparently the ai in the vid are set to legendary ie the max they can be.
    To me they seem too easy to pass under braking in every video ive seen :(
    Hope this is not the case,i want this thing to be challenge when racing with legendary ai and all aids off.
    On the positive side of ai theres a cracking battle with Glocks ai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIfXf3RLpU&feature=player_embedded

That's brilliant. He even moves in to cover his line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've been out of the games loop for a few years - any chance of getting this early or has that kind of thing been clamped down on?

I've been out of the games loop for a few years - any chance of getting this early or has that kind of thing been clamped down on?

You'll probably find some shops having it on sale just before they close the day before launch day. It's usually the case in Smyth's anyway. In any case, if you're getting it on the PC, it's launching at 40 euro on Steam, and is going live on Thursday too

Well im playing awy on the pc version thanks to some of the iracing guys :)
    Heres my initial impressions.

First off the game is a mess initially with utterly weird wheel settings.
    Initially i was like wtf is this all about?
    First my G25 wouldnt work, then i plugged into a different usb slot and the game recognised it.
    On to the track in expert settings all aids off the wheel was a disaster but after a lot of messing about im happy enough with it.
    Im not getting any steering lag but shifting lag is so annoying,i think its more sound lag but cant be sure.
    Im still struggling with a happy feeling in the pedals,need to mess with them more.
    Ive tried to lock the wheels under braking but cant but you can easily outbrake yourself and simpy miss the corner.
    I had a race at Montreal against the hardest AI on expert settings, qualified 6th @ 1:18 -- the top 8 cars were in the 1:18s.
    Onto the race i had to be so much more careful than my qualifying laps, the car felt more of a handfull in the race possibly because of fuel?
    I lost some places early on, made my pitstop which looks great btw, got back up to a decent pace and got up to 9th place and for me atleast it was a battle against the Ai in the race.
    Eventually i spun out and was back to 20 th place where i stayed till the end.
    Overall once i kept in mind that its not iracing etc i had a blast.
    Another annoyance is the way the engine note seems to shoot to max revs instantly after it gets to about 50% rev, its as if theres no sound effect for anything in between.
    Because of the shifting lag i cant be as precise as i would like but maybe they will address this with a patch.
    Anyone frustrated by it initially stick with tweaking the controls options, the difference can be massive and once you hit a decent sweet spot the game comes alive.
    Framerate could be better but overall it looks great,weirdly im getting exactly the same fps in time trial as back of the grid in a race.

Strangely this game reminds me of my GP3 days and even F1 challenge from isi.
    Its no sim in terms of acceleration and braking physics [ie you cant lock the brakes and at times you can simply slam the gas to the floor even with all aids off] but everything else feels impressive enough.
    You will not make corners when your really pushing it unless you are on the perfect line and exercise real caution.
    Also you have to hit your apexes to be fast,you gotta be smooth to be fast too im finding.
    Early days yet but its good fun so far.

• Advertisement

Couple of videos from one of the lads over on iracing.
    Certainly better than most of the muck vids out there or should i say muck driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-N_sQxDttA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aboaYMygfc&feature=player_embedded#!

Advertisement