Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2010 Video Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The collision mechanics really have me worrying about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Would this wheel be supported in F1 2010? And maybe GT5 when its out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Would this wheel be supported in F1 2010? And maybe GT5 when its out?

Yes it will support F1 2010 fir sure heres the list of supported wheels.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-technical-help-1343/427048-f1-2010-officially-supported-wheels-controllers.html

The Fanatec wheels also work yet are not on that list.
    You will be safe enough with that wheel, its nowhere near the best choice but a decent wheel nonetheless, enjoy!

What is the best wheel? I'd like a Logitech G27, but can't really manage to justify spending that much on it

Roosterman take a look at the fanatec ones www.fanatec.de ,they are great value and cover all price rabges, pick one you like then search for a review of it on youtube, you will most likely find a review from the SRT or Sim Racing Tonight guys.
    These lads know there stuff and do great work for the simracing community, they have reviewed most if not all the Fanatec wheels.
    I know Fanatec have one for about 150 euros if you dont want to stretch to a G27, they also have wheels in direct competition to G27.
    Both Fanatec and Logitech make great gear, you can go higher in cost with other brands but its seriously hardcore then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heres a couple of screenshots i took of a modified cockpit view im using now.
    While the default isnt bad the sense of speed is not great so i found myself using the T cam which is great but i like to play from cockpit for extra realism. sense of speed is great with this modded view, the joys of pc games :)

Default cockpit
    f12010game2010092409492.jpg

Modded cockpit
    f12010game2010092409544.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Jaysus.. thats pissed me right off now!

+1 to that

No matter, I'm gonna get it for the PS3 today. If I could just decide on a wheel now I'd be sorted

+1 to that

No matter, I'm gonna get it for the PS3 today. If I could just decide on a wheel now I'd be sorted

Like i said in a previous reply mate get something like this
    http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=66&osCsid=b7e90f4254f901d8fc4bd3d949758514

Its their cheapest wheel and a pretty fine one at that.
    Apart from that your left with the choice of the Logitech DFP or G27, G25 no longer in production.
    Or indeed the other fanatec wheels.

• Advertisement

Quick video i made of my current custom cockpit view.
    Graphics and sound quality compressed to alow for small file size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8qK0jLGTjE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

this game really shines on the pc i must say.. nice mod on the view looks a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This is mental with TrackIR and 5.1 surround, loving it (had to rename the .exe to Dirt2 to get better crossfire graphics performance and the trackIR to work)

Dcully any chance of a link to the cockpit mod

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    This is mental with TrackIR and 5.1 surround, loving it (had to rename the .exe to Dirt2 to get better crossfire graphics performance and the trackIR to work)

Dcully any chance of a link to the cockpit mod

Im using this one.
    Just remember its a single file but it looks different for all cars as their different cockpits but all offer vastly superior sense of speed than the default cockpit view.

http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-camera-mods-released/

There are more being worked on all the time, the main page of that link above has a new pack released this evening, havent had a chance to try them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Have a question...Where do you go to change damage settings?

I don't have a notion!

Dcully wrote: »
    Im using this one.
    Just remember its a single file but it looks different for all cars as their different cockpits but all offer vastly superior sense of speed than the default cockpit view.

http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-camera-mods-released/

There are more being worked on all the time, the main page of that link above has a new pack released this evening, havent had a chance to try them yet though.

Thanks, tried that but reverted as I prefer the old method of marking the racing line in green, I may use it again when I know the tracks better.

My views overall are that its a good game, but isn't really a true and true sim, but it will keep me entertained for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thanks, tried that but reverted as I prefer the old method of marking the racing line in green, I may use it again when I know the tracks better.

My views overall are that its a good game, but isn't really a true and true sim, but it will keep me entertained for a while

I can see what you mean alright but if you think about it, would your average gamer play this for longer than 15 minutes if it was? :p

If collisions/damage/etc were tailored to be close to 100% spot on, then the majority of gamers wouldn't manage more than a lap or two. Yes it would be fantastic for the hardcore F1 fans out there who have the patience and so on, but concentration levels need to be high enough as it is I think, without forcing the gamer to go into complete meltdown. :)

Anyone got any good car setups? I've fiddled around with the sliders and things, but I don't really know what I'm at :o. I've made some improvements in my time, but there's more to be got

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Is Steam the best place to get the PC version yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Anyone got any good car setups? I've fiddled around with the sliders and things, but I don't really know what I'm at :o. I've made some improvements in my time, but there's more to be got

iv got one for catalunya and another for melbourne (top 100 on both). if i think of it i'll post them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Set ups available here

Well guys having spent a lot of time with the game this week i can confirm the game is absolutely riddled with bugs 30-40 major bugs reported on most of the community sites,everything from pitstop bugs to corrupt save files.
    Also it looks like codemasters lied to us all too, they said there will be no rubber band AI , there is according to some, im not fully sure but have my suspicions, they said the AI making mistakes would not be scripted, they are.
    Also the lead dev guy admitted on his twitter that the AI dont even qualify its all just a random calculation.
    Ive personally seen the AI in qualification in Spa qualify @ 1:19 totally totally unrealistic times.
    Now we know why they didnt release any form of demo as at best the game is in beta form.

Codies have stated that they have planned a meeting first thing Monday morning to discuss the issues and a possible patch.

Links to the tweets

http://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25443565012

http://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25443565012

Disgraceful they release a game in this state.
    Pretty much every fansite and the official sites are in uproar.

Despite this the game has huge potential and im still enjoying it but ill admit the rubber band AI is a major turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,279 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Those two tweets look the same

Disappointing if the AI racing isn't a realistic model

Does this mean the same difficulty level, the difficulty will be different depending on the player playing

Im not sure mate, as i say im not 100% sure about the rubber band Ai myself but there are many claims on the official forums and unofficial forums everywhere.
    I can confirm the AI qualify times are plucked out of the sky, i find this shocking tbh.
    I had a 20 lap race in Abu Dhabi yesterday on expert , all aids off etc.
    I was in the lotus qualified in 11th had a clean race and battled with my team mate Trulli all the way through until i made my mandatory pitstop,quite enjoyed racing the AI [apart from the ease at which you can outbrake them they are fun to race with]
    After my pitstop i managed to creep into the top 10 with Trulli behind in 11th but make a silly mistake with 3 laps to go while changing the engine mapping on the back straight and i spun off losing lots of places.
    At the and of the race Trulli had magically gone from 11th to 1st to win the race by 7 seconds.
    Seriously WTF?

Thats just one example ive had quite a few more.
    One theory on the Ai doing is that when an AI car gets a certain distance from the player, it vanishes from the track and it's position is determined based on whatever formula they use to calculate AI lap times. If you get close enough to where one of these imaginary cars is supposed to be, the game starts drawing the car again and you can race it. The trouble is, there is a huge discrepancy between the speed of drawn cars and imaginary cars.

All the forums are full of reported bugs. Seems like the game was released and sold for paying customers to test and then maybe some of the issues fixed next year. Cheap/profit making testing on the developers part. Total joke. I've a good mind to return the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,279 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Was messing with Spa full wet on expert, all aids off, looked super 99% of time, great fun being able to race the AI closely on the first lap. Do feel maybe the damage could be a bit worse, overtaking not too difficult at certain parts of the track. Haven't noticed the AI times but with mostly short races it would be harder to detect. Did find Singapore in light rain really tough, I guess its not knowing the track and the slow corners.

Wish there was more freedom to control the car for pitstops and the start of the race, like gp4 or other games, formation lap might have been fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's as buggy as hell. I got blueflagged last night, the first blue flag yielded me a black and white black, and a drive through penalty instantly :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well Dcully, you were right about my PC it runs it beautfully. Easily better looking than the PS3 version, but your also right about the game itself and its realism, or lack thereof. I wanted a shallow learning curve, as I plan on playing this game properly.

So FP1 in Bahrain out I went so get to grips as a complete novice to racing sims. After a few corners I realised the Brake Assist is completely over the top. Remap the throttle and you could play the game one-handed with that on, so I turned that off. Much improved, as I then proceeded to spin a few times. Turn 4 there can be a pig and 'feels' dusty or something which I liked. Keeps you from getting overconfident.

So I went to quali then, with all the aids on except Brake Assist. Topped the time sheets in Q1, Q2 & got Pole in Q3 (equalling Alonso's real life 1:58 of the curcuit :rolleyes:). Onto the race, I set it at 40% so it worked out around 40 mins, I led from pole, stopped arounf Lap 8 of 20 to change from options to the primes, maintained the lead and finished pole, lapping the backmarkers and had a whole minute on Hamilton (who actually finished in this race (2nd) :D).

All this from a complete novice, with a PS3 6-axis joypad on my pc, sitting on the floor (the USB cable is tiny :o)?? In my dreams Codemasters!!! I'll go to FP1 in Melbourne tomorrow and relax some more of the driver aids, but it shouldn't be that easy even with them on should it? I mean is this a Sim or an Arcadey attempt at an F1 game :rolleyes:

All that being said, it's a very nice looking game and feels real nice to play it :cool:, I was just hoping for a bit more...realism I suppose.

Haven't lost an online race yet... everything seems a bit too easy

• Advertisement

Tried this on lan and its just too buggy yet, had a few crashes and lots of glitches.

Advertisement