Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Edge 705

• 13-09-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi

Im thinking of getting a Garmin 705 for my mtb, I just want to know if there are any good, are they easy to use, do you have to buy the trail maps as an extra:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

yes, maps are extra, unless you buy a package which includes them. It will be more expensive than buying the edge on it's own.

You could also wait until the 800 is out. Touch Screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know of at least one person who has trashed a 705 in a MTB "off".

It's a bit vulnerable up on the bars/stem.

I vaguely recall other positions - top tube maybe? The proper MTBers would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

My friend has one and never used it so I can get it off him for small money.. where is the best place to get the maps??

One of the solo RAI entrants trashed his in a crash last night.

joeduke wrote: »
    where is the best place to get the maps??

garmin.com

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    garmin.com

Top tip: buy the maps on DVD, then you get to do route planning on a PC using MapSource.

Well, that was the tip. Last night I ordered a "lifetime" maps subscription for my old Nuvi, and got MapSource included with it. So I can route plan for my 705 using the MapSource software that I bought online for my Nuvi.

So maybe it's not so clear now. Regardless, buying on microSD card seems like a bad idea.

Lumen wrote: »
    Regardless, buying on microSD card seems like a bad idea.

I bought US maps on micro SD. I can use it with my Nuvi and my Edge 705.

I bought US maps on micro SD. I can use it with my Nuvi and my Edge 705.

Interesting. Do you have MapSource?

Interesting. Do you have MapSource?

I do. I think I got it when I bought the 405 ages back.

I do. I think I got it when I bought the 405 ages back.

Ah. Irritatingly, the "lifetime maps" I bought are limited to one device only, so I can't use them on my 705.

For the uninitiated, the point of using MapSource is that planned courses will adhere precisely to the maps on the 705, rather than suffering from the offset problems caused by using Google maps-based products (e.g. BTR, MMR).

Except now I will be planning with MapSource, then navigating with out of date maps on the 705. They don't make it easy.

And my Nuvi just got recalled for the exploding battery problem.

• Advertisement

That's one reason why I am not sure if I want the lifetime maps.

The offset ain't so bad, sure it's a minor annoyance, but I find that I can work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

You can also use OpenStreetMap maps which are free - I'm using a UK/Ireland map downloaded from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm on a 705. I downloaded the file, copied it to a MicroSd card and popped it in the 705.

I don't use the maps much, hence I didn't want to spend much on them, so I can't really comment how how good or accurate they are when compared to the Garmin maps, but they were good enough to avoid a few wrong turns while cycling round remote Kerry back-roads this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mumfordandsons

kemase wrote: »
    You can also use OpenStreetMap maps which are free - I'm using a UK/Ireland map downloaded from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm on a 705. I downloaded the file, copied it to a MicroSd card and popped it in the 705.

I don't use the maps much, hence I didn't want to spend much on them, so I can't really comment how how good or accurate they are when compared to the Garmin maps, but they were good enough to avoid a few wrong turns while cycling round remote Kerry back-roads this summer.

i have used maps from above for garmin 705 and no problems at all. much better than map it comes with and i found map good enough that never taught after that above buying the one in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

The base map that comes with the 705, can you explain what it covers (Roads, trails etc) or it it better to buy a more detailed map? I mtb around wicklow so which map would be best?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i dont have a garmin, i use a few different mobile apps for blackberry. but i use mobile atlas creator to make the maps. I'm almost certain you can output the maps in a format for the garmin and its free. its a desktop application that you download and it can import maps from google maps yahoo maps etc... i think the openstreetmap cyclemap one has the most detail with forest roads etc included and has contour lines to show altitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

not sure how attachments work on this but i think theres a screen shot of how it works attached to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mumfordandsons

I only use my garmin for road cycling . so anything else u would need to test.
    this is link i get my maps form .
    rename old map before importing new one to be safe

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

For the uninitiated, the point of using MapSource is that planned courses will adhere precisely to the maps on the 705, rather than suffering from the offset problems caused by using Google maps-based products (e.g. BTR, MMR).

tbh OSM + bikeroutetoaster.com and your done :) Obviously there are some holes in the OSM , but seems to be as many for garmin/google these days, in my usage its been on par with them.

you can also get trails maps for OSM too, they have them done for a few places in ireland..........

edit : There are cycling specific OSM maps for ireland you can get too, though i'd need to look up the url...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have used Mapsource/Garmin City Navigator and Open Street Maps/Google Maps based products that generate a track. Cycling to Turkey I used Garmin maps as far as I think Hungary and OSM after that. In Turkey I found some Garmin maps again. The Garmin maps with Mapsource are far better frankly and will give you proper turn by turn directions. Open Street Map is a great free resource but it is gappy by comparison and the routing does not work so well; it has far more of a tendency to send you all over the place in my experience. For off-road MTB use though I think one of the open source maps would be your best option.

Advertisement