Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Conversion Questions

• 13-09-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭

We're seriously considering a conversion, after not really finding anything in budget on the coachbuilt front, and questioning how we'd use a 'van.

I'm slightly daunted by a couple of aspects of the job and their timescale, mainly around the preparation, rather than "the build" elements as it turns out. So if you wise guys have any experience that can help, that'd be a great help :) ...

How many days/ hours would be peoples experience of removing bulkheads and prepping the van?

Seats with full 3 point safety belts are a big issue for us, and one of the reasons we're going the conversion route. How easy have people found them to source, and are there issues about fitting them that I should be aware of? Obviously, if I can't fit them safely, there's not much point.

What ball park figure are we looking for windows fitted - budget probably means standard windows rather than caravan (brand name escapes me)style. I'd be thinking three (sliding door, panel down from the door and opposite the door).

I'm fairly open on type of van, but looking most like a sprinter tbh, at the moment.

Thanks for any advice - I've been checking SBMCC, but mainly UK info from what I can see and search option doesn't work unless you pony up (which I probably will if we go ahead).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

From the sould of it you need to do a lot more reading and maybe get a book?

But why not get a min-bus, comes with seats, belts.... this one is just a suggestion but woud need a class C license

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/23/65492623.html

if you need a 3 point belt in a van what seats can you get in a scrap yard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Got a book from the Library today actually. Minibus was the initial plan, but dolmen say as part of their terms that the base vehicle can't have had more than 8 seats originally (hence these questions). I've read up on the other parts of the build, but I've kinda been thrown by that! Are there other insurance options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Got a book from the Library today actually. Minibus was the initial plan, but dolmen say as part of their terms that the base vehicle can't have had more than 8 seats originally (hence these questions). I've read up on the other parts of the build, but I've kinda been thrown by that! Are there other insurance options?
    I'd call dolmen as a friend of mine conveted a mini bus but he might be with stewarts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've confirmation from Dolmen, haven't heard back from Stewarts yet. But after a bit more research over night, it's not as bad as I first thought in my initial panic. Actually a panel van seems like the way to go for what I have in mind actually. So the hunt for a base vehicle begins! :)

Advertisement