Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidy Towns - 2010

Options
  • 13-09-2010 2:38pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Fingal 2010 reports can be downloaded from here

Just received an e-mail stating Skerries has been awarded a Gold Medal and has scooped the Regional Winner and the County Winner prizes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Well done to all the Fingal towns and villages. Great to see Fingal doing so well and it make driving, cycling or walking a pleasure in N.C.D.

I think (hope) Rush will suprise quite a few people next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Nationwide covered a round up of the Tidy towns last night. Spotted it while flicking channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Great news and a great link for the reports. Interesting if you read between the original reports from the early 2000s to present that the topics of the audit have widened and emphasis on long term planning and continual improvement.

Overall Development Approach
    The Built Environment
    Landscaping
    Wildlife and Natural Amenities
    Litter Control
    Waste Minimisation
    Tidiness
    Residential Areas
    Roads, Streets and Back Areas
    General Impression

What way is the horticulture side managed? Do you have your own nursery for the main displays etc?

Yeah great links and it seems forward planning is vital to any success.

Skerries have done well again and fair play to the people who have got their hands dirty over the years, they deserve a meadal for their efforts alone.

Its disappointing Rush has slipped off the radar but I know plans are in motion and Rush will have a good entry for next year. Hopefully there will be a few days organised where everyone will give a helping hand.

Cordensonk, Do you mean to ask if the various Tidy towns grow their own plants/shrubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    Yeah great links and it seems forward planning is vital to any success.

Skerries have done well again and fair play to the people who have got their hands dirty over the years, they deserve a meadal for their efforts alone.

Its disappointing Rush has slipped off the radar but I know plans are in motion and Rush will have a good entry for next year. Hopefully there will be a few days organised where everyone will give a helping hand.

Cordensonk, Do you mean to ask if the various Tidy towns grow their own plants/shrubs?

Yes, do they grow the main display plants or tender out? Alot of money to be saved with correct planning and purchasing items such as hanging baskets as a group. Or you could have a town nursery but you ensure that all compost used is generated out of local waste. 3-5 year planning goals.

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yes, do they grow the main display plants or tender out? Alot of money to be saved with correct planning and purchasing items such as hanging baskets as a group. Or you could have a town nursery but you ensure that all compost used is generated out of local waste. 3-5 year planning goals.

I have no idea but a lot could be saved with some correct planning. Plenty of spare glasshouses and a few tunnells could be used for this. There are also a few local growers of plants who could do with a little extra business.

Town nursery sounds like a good idea. Would not be my scene, green finger I mean, but think everyone has a role to play in any Tidy Towns effort. Kickstart is very interested in doing some work with Tidy towns. I sent on a suggestion that every club should have a work day around the town where requested by T.T committee. A little planning would go a long way

Advertisement