Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting laptop to flat screen tv..

• 13-09-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just bought a LCD full HD tv and was wondering if I could connect my laptop to it?

Could I also connect a wireless keyboard thru bluetooth?

Is there an option in settings anywhere where it allows you to close the laptop without putting it to sleep and still being able to use it on the tv with the wireless keyboard?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

If laptop, has hdmi you can use,hdmi cable, if it has just vga use vga cable, if tv has vga in,15 pin hole interface.
    See www.svideo.com info re setup.
    See tv manual, pc setup,resolutions ,try 1024x768 to get started.
    SET pc grahics card, options,advanced, refresh rate=60mhz .
    if PC has dvi you can use a dvi cable,if tv has dvi in.
    I find it easier to setup tvs with vga cable, if the tv has vga in.
    Google image search hdmi interface and vga interface if you want to make sure, or see tv manual,specs,inputs .
    Vga cable is 8 euro approx in peats,maplins,get vga cable male to male.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

ricman: Thanks for the info mate, I'll check and see if the laptop has the hdmi connection if not I'll try the other options.

Do you know if I can close the laptop without it going to sleep?
    And also if the wireless keyboard will work it laptop closed? :confused:

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_keep_my_laptop_running_with_the_lid_closed.html

Should do the trick. If the wireless keyboard works normally on the laptop, it should work when the lid is closed if you still have the laptop running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

theshamu wrote: »
    ricman: Thanks for the info mate, I'll check and see if the laptop has the hdmi connection if not I'll try the other options.

Do you know if I can close the laptop without it going to sleep?
    And also if the wireless keyboard will work it laptop closed? :confused:

Thanks!

In the tray on the bottom right hand corner of the screen (assuming its a windows laptop that is) there should be an icon of a battery or power lead depending on if it is plugged in charging or just using the battery. Right click this icon and you will see the advanced properties, click this and the table will come up (see the pic i have attached) there is a setting in the advanced tab to stop the laptop going to sleep when you close it :)

you can use the svideo, out,to tv ,use tv svideo in,rca in. Use 3.5mm male audio to rca male cable,or 3.5mm male to 3,5mm male, male both ends for audio to tv, if tv has a 3.5mm audio in port.What model is the laptop,eg dell 470GL.I PREFER vga in for pc to tv use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is it possible to connect a laptop to an older TV? (non flat screen)

Is there such a thing as a VGA to composite lead to be got anywhere?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

see ww.svideo.com, use svideo to svideo on older tv ,sd tvs,
    see here http://www.svideo.com/vga2video.html
    they have them on ebay.ie around 40 euro, too.21inch tvs with vga in are 200 euro in powercity,
    max resolution 1024x768.

Advertisement