Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Will Publicans Get Real?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Publicans and publicans groups are constantly on the airwaves bemoaning the fact that the recession is having an adverse affect on the trade, yet their prices remain generally the same as when the Celtic Tiger roared, where businesses in other sectors have slashed prices in order to attract customers.

In fairness, some pubs around the country have lowered prices to draw the masses in......http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056029829

Any good deals around our own fair county??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    Publicans and publicans groups are constantly on the airwaves bemoaning the fact that the recession is having an adverse affect on the trade, yet their prices remain generally the same as when the Celtic Tiger roared, where businesses in other sectors have slashed prices in order to attract customers.

In fairness, some pubs around the country have lowered prices to draw the masses in......http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056029829

Any good deals around our own fair county??????

You wanna be on the east coast mate. 4.80 compared with 3.80 a pint i was paying in Ballina last weekend.

I agree though. When i was driving a cab over this side it was funny how people complained about a 8 euro fare home when they'd just done 100 euro on Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

in fairness to the publicans, its the drinks producers (diageo, heinken etc) who are continuously increasing their prices in order to maintain a steady growth in profits, as they have shareholders who dont give a feck about any recession only money, and lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

in fairness to the publicans, its the drinks producers (diageo, heinken etc) who are continuously increasing their prices in order to maintain a steady growth in profits, as they have shareholders who dont give a feck about any recession only money, and lots of it.

I think a lot of publicans are just about paying the bills as it is. It's the drinks suppliers that need to bring down the price of their drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not just the suppliers, it is the phenomenal costs a pub has to endure. Insurance alone can be prohibitive and rent/mortgage is going to be very high still in large urban centres, especially Dublin. Then there are wages to consider.

That said, the suppliers and breweries have a lot to answer for when it comes to cost.

Saruman wrote: »
    Not just the suppliers, it is the phenomenal costs a pub has to endure. Insurance alone can be prohibitive and rent/mortgage is going to be very high still in large urban centres, especially Dublin. Then there are wages to consider.

That said, the suppliers and breweries have a lot to answer for when it comes to cost.

Not sure thats so true. London has very competitive pricing and rent there is much more expensive than Dublin. Unfortunately, prices here are still based on this rather extinct Celtic Tiger thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Rent was only one of the things I mentioned ;)

From what I have heard, insurance is many multiples in terms of cost in Ireland than in the UK. I am open to correction but I believe it is far cheaper in London than Dublin. Wages are also lower I expect.

I am not condoning the prices charged by publicans here but there is a reason they have to charge it that goes a little beyond greed.
    Sure greed probably comes in to it in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Actually is because the Consumer wants to pay the high prices that keeps them high... If you saw sales of Guiness/Heinken drop by 30-40% then they would drop their prices. At the end of the day we maintain the high prices.

What shocks me in the pub is the price of a soft drink...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ciaran67 wrote: »
    London has very competitive pricing and rent there is much more expensive than Dublin.
    Not convinced about that. Carluccio had to close his Dublin restaurant, because the rent was ludicrously high and the landlord wouldn't re-negotiate. I haven't heard of him closing his London restaurants.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not convinced about that. Carluccio had to close his Dublin restaurant, because the rent was ludicrously high and the landlord wouldn't re-negotiate. I haven't heard of him closing his London restaurants.

London is the 2nd most expensive city in the world for real estate after Monaco.

Wouldn't eat in his after the way the staffs tips were going into his pocket.

Advertisement