Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

transferring files

• 13-09-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi guys,
    just wondering can anybody help me? i have an old pc (no monitor) that has important files and sentimental photos on it!i want to know how can i transfer these onto my laptop?what type of cables would i need, as i lost all the cables from the pc!thank you!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you wanted you could get a "caddy" for the old machines hard drive.

You'll need to take the old drive out, put it in this and then it'll be recognised (via usb) to the new machine.

Like this.

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/11_HDD/02_HDDCASE/productdetails/15587339/ICY_BOX_External_HDD_enclosure/IB_371STUS2_B/default.aspx

(review)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/review/2005/10/08/Icybox-IB-360-External-Hard-drive-Enclosure/p1

PS: You'd need to know what connection your Hard Drive is. SATA or IDE to fit in to the caddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Borrow a screen, keyboard, mouse and power lead for the old PC. Boot it up, copy all the files to a USB memory stick. Copy the files back to your laptop.

That's the simplest solution with the least risk I think.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Borrow a screen, keyboard, mouse and power lead for the old PC. Boot it up, copy all the files to a USB memory stick. Copy the files back to your laptop.

That's the simplest solution with the least risk I think.

+1. "If everyones' thinking outside the box, why don't you think inside?" (Can't remember who said that......but it's relevant in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 3na

ok thanks guys,i know i can use my tv as the monitor, so i need to get a keyboard and mouse and cables!hmmmmm...so in short theres no way to simply hook the pc straight to my laptop and transfer that way???do you think the likes of pc world etc might do this???and at what cost??thanks,sorry if these questions seem silly-i really dont have a clue!!

3na wrote: »
    ok thanks guys,i know i can use my tv as the monitor, so i need to get a keyboard and mouse and cables!hmmmmm...so in short theres no way to simply hook the pc straight to my laptop and transfer that way???do you think the likes of pc world etc might do this???and at what cost??thanks,sorry if these questions seem silly-i really dont have a clue!!

If your TV has the connection then that's fine. The video cable should look something like this, (the image here has the audio in/out and video connections on it. But the end "rectangular" shape is the one you're looking for)

486266_091112232026_VGA_Svideo_Adapter2.jpg

And you will need a keyboard/mouse. Well mouse is optional if you know your way around windows keyboard shortcuts.

Windows Button + E - Opens window explorer.
    Tab - tabs to menu options or files where you can use the.....
    Arrow Keys - to select files
    Ctrl + A - Selects All
    Ctrl + C - Copies
    Ctrl + V - Pastes.

If you can load it up that way you could easily copy the files to a usb key and across to the new machine. Depending on the size of the usb key it'd take a few trips. EG: if you had x GB to copy across and the key only held y GB.

I wouldn't think there would be a direct way to copy the files unless you wanted to set up a network and that'd be overkill! (For the job you want to do.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

3na wrote: »

There is a couple of ways that you could hook your laptop up to your PC, but without keyboard/mouse & screen, it will be almost imposible.

Best bet is to ask a friend with a computer if they can help you out. They should have a screen, keyboard & mouse that they can hook up to your pc. Then you can copy everything onto a USB stick. Save you the needless cost of taking it to PC world or any other PC shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The caddy chin_grin mentioned is by far the simplest method, plus you have a backup drive then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 itmonkey

You could hook your old PC up to the network with a Cat5 cable, find it on the network then transfer the files using Windows Explorer by doing the following in Windows ... Start -> Run -> \\computer_ip_address\c$ (where computer_ip_address is the IP address of your old computer on the network) That should then show you the contents of the hard drive on the old PC and you can drag and drop the contents onto your laptop.
    Q.E.D.

Advertisement