Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat spraying.

Options
  • 13-09-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have two rescue cats, a boy and a girl, both neutered and both spoiled rotten. I recently took in two more rescue cats, a boy and a girl, both neutered and while the girl is VERY shy, the boy is much more outgoing and friendly. All will be predominantly indoor cats and the new ones will eventually have access to the fenced-in garden under supervision like the originals.
    I have been introducing them gradually after their period of quarantine and various treatments and while the girl appears to be keeping to herself and not ruffling any feathers, the boy is hell bent on causing chaos.
    There's been the inevitable fights for dominance and a lot of hissing, spitting and growling between him and both the originals and he seems to take a kind of childish delight in waiting until they're eating, sleeping or using the litter tray to attack as he know's that this is when they're at their most vulnerable.
    All was jogging along slowly until the new boy started to spray which I didn't realise that neutered males could do. I've been watching him, putting him off and cleaning the areas with hot soapy water. I then spray the area with Feliway spray and this seems to stop him using that exact place again.
    However, last night, he wee'd in our bed, on the duvet cover, in the exact spot our original boy sleeps with us every night. He's been using the trays perfectly up to now and I think this is just his way of trying to out-man my original boy and mark this area as his territory but while I'm aware that it's just instinct, I'm less than impressed with it all.

I'd appreciate any advice on the best way to handle this so it doesn't happen again. I don't really want to close our bedroom door as the original two use it as a hiding place when all hell breaks loose but it can't continue.

Advertisement