Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT emissions failure.

Options
  • 13-09-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

1998 ford fiesta failed emissions nct today

low idle: CO 3.23%
    HC 772ppm

high idle: CO 7.56%
    HC 1,083ppm

Lambda: 0.77

Engine oil temp: 86*c

these are some of the worst values i have ever seen:eek: there was nothing done to the car before it went in and it passed all other tests, i mean no servicing done.the nct also said excessive smoke though it did not seem that smoky to me? because the values are so high i was wondering if there is any point in servicing it as it is likely something more serious:confused: any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. i am located in Dungarvan and there is only one place that i know of that has an emissions machine that is nearby.thing is i do not want to spend a fortune on servicing and parts and then find out that it was all a wasten of time, so suggestions please:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

My car failed twice and it was only the second time that the emissions were failed and I had gotten it serviced twice aswell. But when I got it serviced in a completely different place, they garage just put a catalytic converter in and that brought them down. He also told me to drive the car hard and at a high gear the entire way as that would keep the emissions down.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deadman walking

does the fact that they are so high then mean that the cat must be gone? i was hoping it might not be that bad. i wonder would it be worth my while getting the car tested with one of those machines that shows up all the engine faults electronically(can't remember the name of it:o) and maybe that will give me a clue what is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

I'm in Dungarvan too. Don't waste your time going where I think you are thinking of going - especially if it's where I think it's where it is!!!):mad:. I have a 24 year old car and she passed this month no prob. (again!)

PM me if you would like the name of my mechanic. He's in the city and a proper mech!

I'm sure he'll tell you straight up what it is and what it would cost you. Have you tried additives? ( for the fuel - not you:))

(ps. No I'm not a mechanic. i have nothing to do with the guy except he's got my car in top notch EVERY time. He's good enough that he only takes people he wants to take - and he's honest.)

thanks for that seanaway pm on the way. have started looking up what it could be on google and bloody hell it could cost a few bob:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

you'd get a second hand cat for cheap enough from a scrap yard/breakers yard

• Advertisement

ringing a mechanic tomorrow to see if he can shed any light on the high emissions. have a nasty feeling that it might be a knackered cat since they are so high? might also try bringing it to the local garage down the road and getting them to run a full diagnostic on it and see what that turns up?:( has anybody had emissions this high and if so what was the problem?

Advertisement