Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania issue, Credit Card refund?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 3:57pm

Hi, just looking for some advice, thanks in advance.

Just purchased a television set from Pixmania.ie, the TV was advertised as a mpeg 4 TV.

On receipt of the TV today I discover that the TV isnt mpeg 4 at all but a mpeg 2. I wanted mpeg 4 so that the TV will pick up Irish DTT TV, mpeg 2 does not work in Ireland except for NI.

Obviously I double checked the Pixmaina website and it clearly does state that it can receive mpeg 4 signals as it has a mpeg 4 tuner.

I have contacted Pixmania by email but upto now I havent received any response.

Having read other forums and horror stories about Pixmania im starting to fear the worse. Many people have posted saying Pixmania dont get back to you or they ask you to post the items back at your own cost etc.

I read on one post that someone said that your Credit Card company can refund you the price if Pixmania fail to deliver service when it comes to fautly items or not sold as seen.

So could someone tell me if this is the case? Should Pixmania fail to assist me in what clearly is their mistake would I be able to claim a refund from my CC company?

Any other advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What TV make/model did you receive?

Just note that having MPEG4 functionality does not always guarantee DTT reception in Ireland. In fact, the service is still in trial mode - it's only later this year/early next will we start to see "certified" devices appearing on the market.

JDxtra wrote: »
    What TV make/model did you receive?

Just note that having MPEG4 functionality does not always guarantee DTT reception in Ireland. In fact, the service is still in trial mode - it's only later this year/early next will we start to see "certified" devices appearing on the market.

The TV box has Mpeg 2 wrote all over it. so in fact im sure its just a TNT box. The set advertised clearly states TNT HD and shows the TNT HD logo on the website.

The TV scans and finds the 6 Irish channels but I can only hear them and not see them as I would expect from a mpeg 2 tuner.

Here is the info

FUNAI LT7-M19WB Television - white"HD ready", 19 inch (48 cm) 16/9, TNT HD, HDMI x2
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6050871/art/funai/lt7-m19wb-television-whit.html

Can TNT HD be delivered via MPEG2? Probably - I'm not sure. The specs on Pixmania indicate nothing about support MPEG4.

You should be able to send it back under the 7 day distance selling rules. Not sure how this works though if you've opened up the box and powered it on.

Can TNT HD be delivered via MPEG2? Probably - I'm not sure. The specs on Pixmania indicate nothing about support MPEG4.

You should be able to send it back under the 7 day distance selling rules. Not sure how this works though if you've opened up the box and powered it on.

TNT HD is mpeg 4.
    TNT is mpeg 2.
    free TNT channels are broadcast 720×576 MPEG-2 with a VBR of 3.9 Mbits (2.1 to 6.8 as measured)or a CBR of 4.6 Mbits

pay TNT channels are broadcast 720×576 MPEG4 AVC/H.264 with a VBR of 3.0 Mbits (1.1 to 6.0 as measured)
    free TNT-HD and pay TNT-HD are broadcast 1440×1080 (1080i50) MPEG4 Audivision 5.1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television

Looks like here is just an error in the graphic displayed for the product by Pixmania.

This is the one which seems to be displayed: (has an MPEG4 tuner)
    http://www.funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,82,title,LH851-M19-NEW-.html

But, this is the one being sold: (no MPEG4 tuner)
    http://www.funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,60,title,LT7-M19WB.html

They look identical. However, the specifications clearly state the model number and do not mention MPEG4. I doubt if you would have a strong case to return it. Other retailers may be more forgiving, I think you'll struggle against Pixmania.

• Advertisement

Looks like here is just an error in the graphic displayed for the product by Pixmania.

This is the one which seems to be displayed: (has an MPEG4 tuner)
    http://www.funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,82,title,LH851-M19-NEW-.html

But, this is the one being sold: (no MPEG4 tuner)
    http://www.funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,60,title,LT7-M19WB.html

They look identical. However, the specifications clearly state the model number and do not mention MPEG4. I doubt if you would have a strong case to return it. Other retailers may be more forgiving, I think you'll struggle against Pixmania.

But this is my point. THey are advertising the TV as TNT HD, both with the graphic and in the description.

The TV clearly isnt TNT HD.

I purchased the TV in good faith by understanding this TV was capable of receiving TNT HD as advertised.

As the TV does not conform to the product features as advertised Piximania are at fault.

My Question is should Pixmania try to make me pay to send the item back or deny any issue can I ask for a refund with my CC company under the item being faulty or not received as advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Your entitled to a full refund.

Your main problem is your are dealing with a company that is woeful when it comes to this sort of thing.

To cut out a lot of hassle for yourself I would pay a courier to bring the telly back to them. Initiate a charge back with your CC company, keep all records.

Advertisement