Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner not firing - possible airlock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Any ideas on a cost for a replacement oil pump? inc labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

it could indeed be control box had 1 recently acting just like this but hard to know sitting here in kitchen drinking hot whisky dont you just love the flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Any ideas on a cost for a replacement oil pump? inc labour?
    Pump is about €90 but seeing that there is soot you will need a service. All in with a service, probably in the region of €180 - €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

And it might just need a good service after that storm last light, my bleedin mrs had me up at 5am to get the fallen tree off our lane, givus some of that whiskey jim.

And it might just need a good service after that storm last light, my bleedin mrs had me up at 5am to get the fallen tree off our lane, givus some of that whiskey jim.

just sent a double with lemon and cloves pm on the way hope it dont spill

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »

just sent a double with lemon and cloves pm on the way hope it dont spill
    Ya can send one my way also. I've been in bed all day with man flu also. Gone gog-eyed watching telly all day.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Ya can send one my way also. I've been in bed all day with man flu also. Gone gog-eyed watching telly all day.

i think its a virus we picked up of billys computer

i think its a virus we picked up of billys computer
    Well all I know is I never want to see Judge Judy or Jeremy Flamin' Kyle ever again! Never saw such sh1te in my life!

Pump is about €90 but seeing that there is soot you will need a service. All in with a service, probably in the region of €180 - €200.

jaysus you can afford to stay in bed all day with judge judy with prices like this ha ha

• Advertisement

jaysus you can afford to stay in bed all day with judge judy with prices like this ha ha
    €80 for the service + €90 for the pump = €170. As much as I have tried in the past, even asking it nicely, the pump never wants to fit itself for free.

I would of though nearer the 200 with nozzle and hose.

€80 for the service + €90 for the pump = €170. As much as I have tried in the past, even asking it nicely, the pump never wants to fit itself for free.

true shane its a lot of money at the moment fitted a pump and full service on stephens day got last payment 2 day but if i didnt do it my name would be **** and give someone else a chance to get a leg in the door

I would of though nearer the 200 with nozzle and hose.

jaysus im not calling you if i have a need for an oftec engineer

If it is only €200 then I wouldn't be too unhappy, I heard it could be a hell of a lot more. Thanks lads, now to try and get someone tomorrow, with the part and hope the boss will let me feck off early...

jaysus im not calling you if i have a need for an oftec engineer

Sher wont ya get a nice CD11 and an Oftec sticker on the boiler. ;)

If it is only €200 then I wouldn't be too unhappy, I heard it could be a hell of a lot more. Thanks lads, now to try and get someone tomorrow, with the part and hope the boss will let me feck off early...

you should have change for a few pints out of 200e

any service guy worth his salt will have all riello parts in van but make sure hes oftec reg and then you will get fga prinout when job is done

Ask them if they use a Flue Gas Anilyser, if no, move on.

Thanks everyone for the help. Just had a plumber out, told him the symptons, he though the oil pump as well, turns out a dirty air lock. Even though oil was comming out for me, there was a lock...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

80+ presses of the reset button! You have most certainly weakened the integrity of the pump! Wouldn't be surprised if it packs in in the not distant future.

Well it was freezing house with wife and screeching 3 month old or get the %#$# oil burner working again!

Oil burner comes on 4 times a day anyway, another 80 starts is an extra 20 days. No big deal I think...

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the help. Just had a plumber out, told him the symptons, he though the oil pump as well, turns out a dirty air lock. Even though oil was comming out for me, there was a lock...

thats good glad to hear no parts needed

but if you didnt run out of oil you would have to wonder how air got into the fuel line did he check all joints/connections

kyeev wrote: »
    Well it was freezing house with wife and screeching 3 month old or get the %#$# oil burner working again!

Oil burner comes on 4 times a day anyway, another 80 starts is an extra 20 days. No big deal I think...

no big deal if the pump is being lubricated the pumps gears gets their lubrication from the oil being pumped through it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leofogaka

Hi folks, Thank you for the information in this thread.
    I runned out of oil and I am pretty sure I have an airlock.

I followed the steps, unscrewed and pressed the reset button. Bubbles came out.
    After repeating it for like 3 times, It came out a lot of oil. So I thought that it was enough, screwed back and restarted the boiler.

It worked, I heard the burning noise, but it was have a different kind of noise than usual, and after around 30 seconds it stopped. After that I got a weird burned smell and some white smoke coming out (not much, it came out around the area of the red reset button).
    So I am really worried to have messed up some electrical part and don't know what to do.
    Should I bleed it more, even if I am having a lot of oil coming out? should I try again?

And one more question, the boiler doesn't start when I got the valve unscrewed even if there is no more airlock, right? I am kinda scared of having the boiler working with the valve open.

Thank you so much.

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

leofogaka wrote: »
    Hi folks, Thank you for the information in this thread.
    I runned out of oil and I am pretty sure I have an airlock.

I followed the steps, unscrewed and pressed the reset button. Bubbles came out.
    After repeating it for like 3 times, It came out a lot of oil. So I thought that it was enough, screwed back and restarted the boiler.

It worked, I heard the burning noise, but it was have a different kind of noise than usual, and after around 30 seconds it stopped. After that I got a weird burned smell and some white smoke coming out (not much, it came out around the area of the red reset button).
    So I am really worried to have messed up some electrical part and don't know what to do.
    Should I bleed it more, even if I am having a lot of oil coming out? should I try again?

And one more question, the boiler doesn't start when I got the valve unscrewed even if there is no more airlock, right? I am kinda scared of having the boiler working with the valve open.

Thank you so much.

Leo

When you say you unscrewed the valve what exactly did you touch was it the screw at the top or was it the nut at the bottom

The bottom one. Everything the bleeding was proceeding fine, maybe I didn't bleed it enough, don't know.

How much oil did you put in the tank?

How much oil did you put in the tank?
    150 litters.

leofogaka wrote: »
    150 litters.

It sounds like there is still air in the line. Try again & see if you can get flow without the pump. If not, try again with pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ninja13

Do you need to shut anything off before turning he screw?

• Advertisement

ninja13 wrote: »
    Do you need to shut anything off before turning he screw?

Please elaborate on your question.

Advertisement