Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

J C wrote: »
    I used to have a closed mind ... when I was an evolutionist ... and it took me 10 years to prize it open!!!

Everything is 'in an environment that is suited to them' in many respects ... so WHY did the starfish not change one iota over 500 Million Evolutionist years ... while Humans were supposedly evolving from something that supposedly looked like a fish?!!!

I don't mean to insult you, but if you don't know the answer to this
    extremely trivial question you never were an "evolutionist".
    If you check the links I gave you on page 20 you'll see that starfish
    have changed link. There have been plenty of evolutionary divergences
    from the old 500 million year starfish. Here is another example of how
    they've diverged throughout time. The key point I want to explain to
    you is that a starfish population living 500 million years ago can be
    alive today as long as the environment they live in is suitable.
    If the environment changes in a crazy enough way then the starfish will
    die. When things like that happen there can be small sections of the
    starfish population whose genetic makeup is internally different in such a
    way so that they can withstand the changes. That would be an example
    of how starfish would change over time.

There is every reason to think that many, many starfish over 500 million
    years had "random" genetic variations. However, if you'd even read the
    full book by Dawkins that you quote in your signature you'd realise that
    most of these genetic variations are extremely bad for an organism and
    it will die. Basically while many members of the species throughout time
    would have had genetic variations we can clearly see most were bad
    and led to that animal either dying of being unable to sufficiently
    reproduce.

If you want to learn this properly why don't you give this set of lectures
    a chance:

If those lectures seem a bit too serious then you could just enjoy this
    brilliant lecture:

You'll learn more from the first one though.
    There's more in this playlist but you'll love this one on it's own anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Okay, I've racking my brains for at least 30 seconds, trying to figure this out, but I'm going to have to ask... What in hell is the point he's trying to make about foetuses not wrinkling in amniotic fluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wicknight wrote: »
    I have a great penis but I'm not showing you is your chat up line? How that working out for you

zing! :P:pac:
    Don't underestimate the power of reverse psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Okay, I've racking my brains for at least 30 seconds, trying to figure this out, but I'm going to have to ask... What in hell is the point he's trying to make about foetuses not wrinkling in amniotic fluid?

I think you're under the mistaken impression that there is some point beyond what you see in exhibit A:

evolution.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Just in case anyone's blood pressure is running a bit low, here's Kevin Myers' contribution from today's Indo: link

I do have a nagging doubt though: how many people who tell you they believe (I use the word advisedly) in evolution could give you a run-through of the basic evidence supporting it? I suspect we'd find a much greater level of ignorance than we might hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

darjeeling wrote:
    WHAT. THE. ****.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

darjeeling wrote: »
    Just in case anyone's blood pressure is running a bit low, here's Kevin Myers' contribution from today's Indo: link

I do have a nagging doubt though: how many people who tell you they believe (I use the word advisedly) in evolution could give you a run-through of the basic evidence supporting it? I suspect we'd find a much greater level of ignorance than we might hope.

Yeah this is true, but how many people people still think that shooting the petrol tank is a sure way to blow up a vehicle? Or that DNA evidence is nearly infallible. When it comes to the general public, ignorance about science doesn't just pertain to evolution, it applies to everything. Myers big problem here is that he hasn't actually read about the evidence that supports evolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FFS, this is actually more infuriating that Conor Lenihan launching a book.

Who do we write to to complain about this absolute drivel! It's a shame we can't at least leave a comment below the article.

What is that babble about insulin, the only semi-credible point he made in
    his diatribe? "Evolution cannot explain the most basic question about how a
    simple protein like insulin could have first been formed". I don't know how
    you're supposed to find the origins of a biochemical like insulin in rocks but
    when we read of reports like Factors Responsible for the evolution of
    insulin resistance in Japanese type 2 diabetric patients I suppose evolution
    can't explain that either :rolleyes:
    I'll bet Kevin Myers has read and posted his arguments against such
    articles as The Insulin Family: Evolution of Structures and Functions in
    Vertebrates and Invertebrates or christmas classics like the
    Molecular Evolution of Insulin in Non-Mamallian Vertebrates.

Again I posted a video link to a 10 part course by Stanford going through
    some of the evidence for Evolution:

Kevin, give it the 20 hours of research :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Complexity from simplicity
    Fractals.
    Conway's "Game of life".
    Computer simulations of real world phenomena.
    We are probably the trillionith itteration of a infinitely expanding and contracting universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Myers is a troll, and well paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

blubloblu wrote: »
    Anyone feel like handing out anti-heliocentrism flyers outside Buswells?
    ... Geocentrism is just as invalid as Evolution ... so I guess this would complete your anti-science position!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The book launch is on now. Our AS&A spy rang me to tell me may turned up in a pink limo with kisses drawn on the side. He had to hang up when 'Darwin' appeared.

I. SHIT. YOU. NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

Galvasean wrote: »
    The book launch is on now. Our AS&A spy rang me to tell me may turned up in a pink limo with kisses drawn on the side. He had to hang up when 'Darwin' appeared.

I. SHIT. YOU. NOT.

wow really go do a one man picket now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

... Geocentrism is just as invalid as Evolution ... so I guess this would complete your anti-science position!!!

How did you escape from the Portal of Oblivion?!?!??!

300px-Eye_of_Terror.JPG

And if anyone's not heard enough of John J May yet, here he was yesterday on Phantom FM in debate with TCD Genetics lecturer Aoife McLysaght: link
    (scroll down to 'Evolution Discussion')

Galvasean wrote: »
    How did you escape from the Portal of Oblivion?!?!??!

300px-Eye_of_Terror.JPG

Good alibi though, no?

And if anyone's not heard enough of John J May yet, here he was yesterday on Phantom FM in debate with TCD Genetics lecturer Aoife McLysaght: link

hhhahah he finally gets questioned on air she owned him

bluewolf wrote: »
    Irish times:

Madam, — Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland disapproves of Minister of Science Conor Lenihan’s appearance at the launch of a book arguing against belief in evolution. How times change! Fifty years ago we can imagine The Irish Timesreporting that representatives of religion are aghast at the idea of public figures appearing at launches of books promoting evolution!

It seems science has become the new orthodoxy and woe betide any humble person who takes a different view. The imposition of science over God is truly the exaltation of man, the created being, over and above his Creator.

Perhaps some scientists and humanists just cannot imagine any higher form of life than themselves. What arrogance! – Yours, etc,

JASON O’DONNELL,

St Michael’s Avenue,

Tipperary.

lolwut
    You really don't appear to get the irony of it all ... that Atheists and other anti-Creation science types are behaving exactly like mainstream churches behaved fifity years ago ... preaching from their 'pulpits' to their unquestioning acolytes, decrying/discriminating against any minority that disagree with them ... and generally belting anybody, who doesn't adore at their Evolutionist Shrines, with their proverbial 'croziers'!!!:)

... Geocentrism is just as invalid as Evolution

• Advertisement

Dougla2 wrote: »
    wow really go do a one man picket now
    ... how about live and let live???

... give the man a break!!!!:(

Kevin Myers 'hit the nail on the head', as far a Evolutionism is concerned ... "Theories of evolution when tested on the origin of protein molecules, not to speak of DNA, usually imitate Mr Gladstone when replying to Queen Victoria's question: "Yes, prime minister, but what is it exactly that lesbians do in bed?"

Evolution cannot explain the most basic question about how a simple protein like insulin could have first been formed. "Simple" is a relative term: insulin is composed of 51 amino acids and has a molecular weight of 5808. Water is just 18. You can boil the primeval molecular broth for an awful long time and put it under enormous pressures, but you will not spontaneously create an insulin molecule, never mind one of the titin molecules, that have a molecular mass of almost 3,000,000 and a total length of almost 27,000 amino acids."

Like I have said Geocentrism and Evolution complement each other perfectly, in the 'observationally challenged' stakes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just learn to ignore him sponsoredwalk, J C will never listen to anything you have to say and will always have some makey uppy "science" on hand to back himself up.

... how about live and let live???

... give the man a break!!!!:(

why , this ignorance should not be allowed spread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

bluewolf wrote: »
    Irish times:

Madam, — Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland disapproves of Minister of Science Conor Lenihan’s appearance at the launch of a book arguing against belief in evolution. How times change! Fifty years ago we can imagine The Irish Timesreporting that representatives of religion are aghast at the idea of public figures appearing at launches of books promoting evolution!

It seems science has become the new orthodoxy and woe betide any humble person who takes a different view. The imposition of science over God is truly the exaltation of man, the created being, over and above his Creator.

Perhaps some scientists and humanists just cannot imagine any higher form of life than themselves. What arrogance! – Yours, etc,

JASON O’DONNELL,

St Michael’s Avenue,

Tipperary.

lolwut

Shouldn't that read "the created being finally below it's creator." :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

At last someone is there to put him in his place!! The worst thing about all this is there are people out there who won't know any better, and actually believe this guy has a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Dougla2 wrote: »
    hhhahah he finally gets questioned on air she owned him

Someone buy the nice lady a drink!
    That was overdue...i can sleep now.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Someone buy the nice lady a drink!
    That was overdue...i can sleep now.

yeah she put him in his place about the pomegranates too

She creamed him, wish it went on for longer.

More scientists showing his inconsistencies via mp3 please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Kevin Myers 'is hit on the head with a nail', by a concerned Evolutionist ...

Fixed that for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement