Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

J C wrote: »
    ... I understand that he is an immunologist by training ... as the list states!!

... he is a research scientist and I understand that he is a Microbiologist by training ... as the list states!!

Fair enough. Still though, it would be more relevant to say what the qualifications and current occupation of the people on the list is, just like the Project Steve list. Otherwise it's even more worthless than it already is.

... there is a typo there allright ... you are correct that he is not a Geophysicist ... but is an environmental biologist

No, this -- fcuk -- is a typo. The above is a lie.

They are conventionally qualified scientists who have risked their careers to declare their support for Creationism

And? So? Therefore? You still seem to be missing the point. How does the list whether it's one person or one million support the claims of creationism?

... google isn't all seeing ... and all knowing ...

The average number of webpages currently indexed by Google is around 50 billion. To not return any meaningful results is quite an achievement in underachievement.

... so good, they named him twice!!!!
    The great Dr Korochkin is now dead ... but was a leader in his field, in every sense of the word.
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/y3228v00v6122383/

I can assure you that Dr Korochkin was indeed a Creationist ... for example he was amongst 400 scientists who attended the second Moscow International Symposium on Creation Science in May 1994.

Attending a conference is hardly sufficient proof that he was a creationist. His published writings on the other hand tell a different story. This is from an article he wrote in 1999 for New World:

"The more organism is specialized, [i.e.] the higher the step of the evolutionary ladder, on which it stands, the more these changes are deeper and irreversible."

"... erythrocytes of the mammals, who evolution-wise are higher than the birds ..."

He was indeed a Creation Scientist par excellence... and was Silliman Professor of Natural History in Yale College.
    He wrote a book entitled "SCIENCE AND THE BIBLE-
    A REVIEW OF " THE SIX DAYS OF CREATION " OF PROF. TAYLER LEWIS."

Quote:-
    " The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firma­ment showeth his handiwork." Thus spake the Psalmist in view of the revelation which God had made of himself in his works. With deeper emphasis may we now utter the same ascription of praise; for that revelation, as its records have been unfolded in these later days, has opened more and more glorious thoughts of the Almighty Architect, and appears as unfathomable in its truths, as God himself is in­finite."

Yes, and if you'd managed to read past page 1 of the book you would have read this:

"The evolution of the germ — in its essence, a simple memberless cellule — resulting in a successive individualization of parts: the more fundamental first; then, by degrees, lead­ing on to the completed complex organism in all its details, is an exhibition of another grand law of the highest signifi­cance ; one, in an important sense, typical of all progress.

The spiral line of development as the initial in evolution, and retained in its perfection in the spiral arrangement of leaves in plants, as well as in the parts of some animals, is
    another grand law, which science has evolved from the mass of facts before us in the plant-ldngdom."

Dana wrote that book in an attempt to reconcile his scientific understanding with his religious beliefs. The one thing that becomes clear early on is that Dana is not a biblical literalist but rather sees a divine plan, God acting through natural laws. He sees evolution as an aspect of this, a mechanism used by God to institute his plan. So, not a creationist.

... if one of them was able to demonstrate how the CFSI in living organisms could arise spontaneously ... that would be achieving something for Evolution ... putting their names to a list achieves nothing ... as everybody already accepts that Evolutionists are to be found at all levels within Academia today ... just like Geocentrists were found at all levels within Medieval Academia ... as Galileo Galilei found out, to his cost!!!smile.gif

Well, if you could demonstrate that CFSI is a real phenomenon that would be lovely. Anyway, I'll come back to CFSI and Dembski's other bull**** in a bit.

... it has been used as a spurious argument for the spontaneous evolution of biological 'polymers' ... like proteins.

Please cite specific examples of your assertion.

... 'evolution' is a weasel word ... NS is a demonstrable fact of nature ... the issue is how the CFSI from which NS selects, arose in the first place ... and so far, 'wilful ignorace' best describes the Evolutionist 'answers' to this particular conundrum!!

I'm sure that somebody has already explained the difference between evolution and abiogenesis.

Now back to Dembski and CFSI. First of all it would be nice for you to clarify the difference between certain terms because there seems to be a lot of goalpost shifting on the creationist side in order to avoid any arguments of substance. Particularly it would help if you could concisely explain the difference between specified complexity, CSI, CFSI and CSD. Just so there's no accusations of strawmanning.

Dembski is a dishonest charlatan who still advances the same argument despite having been corrected on more than a few occasions. I will keep this to general points, since this post is long enough already without going into specifics of Dembski's work.

The first noteworthy point about Dembski is is his intellectual honesty or more correctly his complete lack thereof. His tactic of posting preview chapters on the web, allowing critiques and revising his work is not an attempt to correct mistakes but rather to avoid argument of the substance of his claims. In his own words:

"I'm not going to give away all my secrets, but one thing I sometimes do is post on the web a chapter or section from a forthcoming book, let the critics descend, and then revise it so that what appears in book form preempts the critics' objections. An additional advantage with this approach is that I can cite the website on which the objections appear, which typically gives me the last word in the exchange. And even if the critics choose to revise the objections on their website, books are far more permanent and influential than webpages."

This vacuum of honesty and integrity continues to inform Dembski's professional career.

The next point is that Dembski's idea of specified complexity is not the revolutionary piece of evidence against evolution that he and other creationists would like to claim. His work, such as it is has not added significantly to the body of work in either information theory or biology. His original work "The Design Inference" is cited in 242 other publications and yet none of these are original research and most of what remains are highly critical of Dembski's unsound claims.

Dembski also seems to have an allergy to supporting this killer argument of his. His peer-reviewed publications (from his own CV) are:

Journals

• The Search for a Search: Measuring the Information Cost of Higher-Level Search” (co-authored with Robert J. Marks II), Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics 14(5) (2010): 475-486.

Conference Proceedings

• Efficient Per Query Information Extraction from a Hamming Oracle” (co-authored with Winston Ewert, George Montañez, Robert J. Marks II), Proceedings of the 42nd Meeting of the Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, IEEE, University of Texas at Tyler, 9 March 2010.
    • Evolutionary Synthesis of Nand Logic: Dissecting a Digital Organism” (co-authored with Winston Ewert and Robert J. Marks II), Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, San Antonio, Texas (October 2009): 3047–3053.
    • Bernoulli’s Principle of Insufficient Reason and Conservation of Information in Computer Search” (co-authored with Robert J. Marks II), Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, San Antonio, Texas (October 2009): 2647–2652.
    • Conservation of Information in Search: Measuring the Cost of Success” (co-authored with Robert J. Marks II), IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics A, Systems & Humans, 5(5) (September 2009): 1051–1061.
    Not exactly the work of a distinguished scientist with a revolutionary argument to demonstrate.

Dembski's arguments are the worst kind of pseudoscientific crap and have been torn apart again and again. Here is just a few brief articles on why Dembski's arguments don't hold water:

and if you feel in for a bit more of a challenge there's this:

Schneider, T., Evolution of Biological Information, Nucleic Acids Research (2000), Vol. 28, 2794-2799

not to mention the Elsberry/Shallit paper which you are still hiding from.

... and I too believe in science and I am a conventionally qualified scientist ...

Degrees that you get on the back of a box of cornflakes don't count.

Now, I've gotten sidetracked enough in this debate, are you going to support your religious assertions or run away and hide like you have done with your pseudoscientific ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

dlofnep wrote: »
    Uh, countless fossils, DNA?
    They all exhibit CFSI and Intelligent Design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No. They exhibit biological change, and speciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

But who designed the designer JC?

robindch wrote: »
    You're saying that "intelligence" cannot come from "non-intelligence"?

If that's the case, then who created your deity?
    That is a very good question.

If we accept the logic (and the result of all of our experience) that intelligence cannot arise spontaneously from non-intelligence ... this implies, and all of our experience confirms, that intelligence arises from pre-existing intelligence ... and this implies an 'ultimate intellligence' as the 'ultimate cause' of it all.
    Who that 'ultimate intelligence' was is open to debate ... but its existence isn't in doubt.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    No. They exhibit biological change, and speciation.
    ... that utilises pre-existing CFSI diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What about that paper JC?
    The one that addresses CSFISFIISII or whatever.
    What points does it make that are incorrect?

What about that paper JC?
    The one that addresses CSFISFIISII or whatever.
    What points does it make that are incorrect?
    I've made a start here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74840918&postcount=5960

... and nobody has responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've made a start here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74840918&postcount=5960

... and nobody has responded.

That was probably when I fell of my chair after reading a load of sincere rubbish.

Malty_T wrote: »
    That was probably when I fell of my chair after reading a load of sincere rubbish.
    ... when you stop reading whatever Evolutionist tome caused your sudden fit of 'apoplexy' ... could you please gather yourself up ... and address the points in my post?:)

• Advertisement

Dembski's CFSI concept is just Paley's argument by design in new clothes.

In pre-Darwinian times it was reasonable to argue that highly organized, purposeful systems are evidence of a designer and that intelligence could not result from mechanical processes, that there was some kind of explanatory gap. A gap that has since been filled by the creative process discovered by Darwin and Wallace.
    ... the 'gap' that you speak of still exists ... and it is the explanatory gap (for materialists) of how the production of CFSI is achieved in the absence of an intelligent input.
    ... and the gap hasn't been filled by the Darwin-Wallace theory of Natural Selection ... which merely explains how CFSI is selected ... but not how it was created.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

that intelligence arises from pre-existing intelligence ... and this implies an 'ultimate intellligence' as the 'ultimate cause' of it all.
    Except of course that if you think that "intellegence" can only come from "more intelligence", then you're kind of snookered when explaining where your particular deity comes from.

Except of course that if you think that "intellegence" can only come from "more intelligence", then you're kind of snookered when explaining where your particular deity comes from.
    The 'ultimate intelligence' must logically be transcendent of time and space ... and therefore must always have existed.

The 'ultimate intelligence' must logically be transcendent of time and space ... and therefore must always have existed.
    Rubbish. You just made that up to avoid the trap you set yourself.

Rubbish. You just made that up to avoid the trap you set yourself.
    There is no other logical alternative ... so it stands ... unless and until a plausible alternative is found.

... and the Materialist is 'stuck' back at step one ... the fact that intelligence cannot arise from non-intelligence.

... I was once 'stuck' there as well ... when I was an Evolutionist.:)

JC you understand nothing.
    Please enlighten me?

There is no other logical alternative
    Like seriously, JC, you've been banging away at the same humorless crap for most of the last seven years and you don't seem to have learned a thing.

Are you really that dumb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

JC - Refute this evolutionismist paper with your sheer logic:

http://www.cdnresearch.net/pubs/others/trivers_1971_recip.pdf

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    There is no other logical alternative

robindch
    Like seriously, JC, you've been banging away at the same humorless crap for most of the last seven years and you don't seem to have learned a thing.

Are you really that dumb?
    I could return the insult ... and say the very same about you, Robin ... but it gets us nowhere!!!
    Try to stick with the idea under discussion ... and leave the ad hominem stuff alone.
    ... so do you have a logical alternative?

There is a pattern to this behaviour ... ye are repeatedly 'cornered' on particular points ... and instead of making a further defense ... ye 'break out' ... by ether abruptly changing the subject and / or using a string of ad hominem remarks ... or somebody else (Sponsoredwalk, in this case) 'rides to the rescue' by asking a completely different question that changes the subject ... and then, ironically ye accuse me of evasion.
    ... so I'm calling you on this one, Robin ... what is your logical alternative?
    JC - Refute this evolutionismist paper with your sheer logic:

http://www.cdnresearch.net/pubs/others/trivers_1971_recip.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Is there any scientific evidence of said intelligence that can create life? and i dont mean quotes from a book of fairy tales written by bronze age man.
    There is evidence that intelligence can create intelligence but there is no evidence that non-intelligence can create intelligence ---
    Artificial intelligence is evidence that intelligence is required to create intelligence ---- have you ever seen a robot in your life?

• Advertisement

You're saying that "intelligence" cannot come from "non-intelligence"?

If that's the case, then who created your deity?

God was present before time when He formed this system. It's God who created time and space -- God needs no time, robindch, you with your little knowledge tries to measure God but you forget your knowledge, your wisdom has limit --- You can think with in AQUARIUM--- You see, robindch, this AQUARIUM of fish, this is tiny world , they can't think outside of this AQUARIUM --- They even don't note who is watching them
    366057_1311604112_1_644x461.jpg
    It's a strange example but i hope it would clear your mind about God ---
    the equations for general relativity represents t!me & space, the outcomes tell time has a starting- when all this happened- -- as God doesn't exist with time and space so it needs no creation --- You can't apply rules of time and space to God ---as God needs no time and space ----

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

@JC: so when are we going to get some of your points that refute the paper that was posted approximately 2 months ago?

Or is all your talk of discussing the actual subject of this thread just bluster?

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    so when are we going to get some of your points that refute the paper that was posted approximately 2 months ago?

Or is all your talk of discussing the actual subject of this thread just bluster?
    hiya, koth, i didn't get your point, Are your post adressing to me or JC

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

dead one wrote: »
    hiya, koth, i didn't get your point, Are your post adressing to me or JC

It was aimed at JC.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

you've probably made a few peoples ignore lists at this stage so i wouldn't assume he's directing his comments at you... however if you'd like to debunk the papers in question, or even the ones that oldrnwisr(?) posted on the last page then please go ahead!

It's a strange example but i hope it would clear your mind about God ---
    the equations for general relativity represents t!me & space, the outcomes tell time has a starting- when all this happened- -- as God doesn't exist with time and space so it needs no creation --- You can't apply rules of time and space to God ---as God needs no time and space ----

the underlined in the quote above is the only actual information in the quote... the rest of it is, well, rubbish. And it has nothing to do with special or general relativity. Considering those theorys are some of the strongest against a creator i felt it important to say something before you distort it any further...

Doc_Savage wrote: »
    the underlined in the quote above is the only actual information in the quote... the rest of it is, well, rubbish. And it has nothing to do with special or general relativity. Considering those theorys are some of the strongest against a creator i felt it important to say something before you distort it any further...
    doc_savage, how do you apply time and space to God --- where time has beginning and God doest exist within time and space --- How do you disapprove idea of God using theory of General relativity, please, show me some wisdom
    Doc_Savage wrote: »
    you've probably made a few peoples ignore lists at this stage so i wouldn't assume he's directing his comments at you... however if you'd like to debunk the papers in question, or even the ones that oldrnwisr(?) posted on the last page then please go ahead!
    i assume you are addressing to me:
    Doctor savage,don't become smart, you don't exist with in time and space --- you can't cheat time --- He edited his post --- you see
    He added above quote in his post after editing -- Now why i consider he was addressing to me, because his post didn't have any adressee and it was after my post --- I feel pity on your little wisdom and your ignore list full of arrogance

....... How do you disapprove idea of God using theory of General relativity, please, show me some wisdom.......

i will respond to your question with a question.... how can you prove the existence of god using the theory of general relativity?

He added above quote in his post after editing -- Now why i consider he was addressing to me, because his post didn't have any adressee and it was after my post --- I feel pity on your little wisdom and your ignore list full of arrogance

i replied before he added that to his post too... don't make assumptions! Several people have stated in this thread and others that you qualify for their ignore list!

take things at face value if you will but try to leave the pity stuff out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If "god" dosent exist in time and space then he dosent exist. There is no outside, just the universe im afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement