Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

koth wrote: »
    @JC: so when are we going to get some of your points that refute the paper that was posted approximately 2 months ago?

Or is all your talk of discussing the actual subject of this thread just bluster?
    I've made a start here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74840918&postcount=5960

... and I am awaiting your response.

If "god" dosent exist in time and space then he dosent exist. There is no outside, just the universe im afraid.
    That's an unfounded faith-based belief ... that is the equivalent of somebody who has no experience of radio saying that mobile phones are impossible - because they have never seen a radio wave.

Why should this physical universe be all there is ... especially when we Humans are intelligent spiritual beings.

Here is how proof of God's existence emerged in a debate with Robin:-
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by robindch
    You're saying that "intelligence" cannot come from "non-intelligence"?

If that's the case, then who created your deity?

Originally Posted by J C
    If we accept the logic (and the result of all of our experience) that intelligence cannot arise spontaneously from non-intelligence ... this implies, and all of our experience confirms, that intelligence arises from pre-existing intelligence ... and this implies an 'ultimate intellligence' as the 'ultimate cause' of it all.
    Who that 'ultimate intelligence' was, is open to debate ... but its existence isn't in doubt.

Posted by robindch
    Except of course that if you think that "intellegence" can only come from "more intelligence", then you're kind of snookered when explaining where your particular deity comes from.

Posted by J C
    The 'ultimate intelligence' must logically be transcendent of time and space ... and therefore must always have existed.

robindch
    Rubbish. You just made that up to avoid the trap you set yourself.

J C
    There is no other logical alternative ... so it stands ... unless and until a plausible alternative is found.
    ... and the Materialist is 'stuck' back at step one ... with the fact that intelligence cannot arise from non-intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

JC - Refute this evolutionismist paper with your sheer logic:

http://www.cdnresearch.net/pubs/others/trivers_1971_recip.pdf

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »
    I've made a start here:-

... and I am awaiting your response.

You claim to be a former scientist and yet you don't understand the meaning of the word "refute"? :confused:

Your post is nowhere near even beginning to discuss the paper. All you do is regurgitate the same word soup about complex things requiring a designer.

Nowhere do you show how the paper is wrong, i.e. refute the content of the paper.

So would you like to try and refute the paper now?

If you can read this, you're too close!

JC - Refute this evolutionismist paper with your sheer logic:

http://www.cdnresearch.net/pubs/others/trivers_1971_recip.pdf
    Stop the lights ... and stall the ball ...
    ... lets deal with the proof for God in my exchange with Robin ... and my response to your 'prize' paper on ID ... before we jump on to something else!!

• Advertisement

Your post is nowhere near even beginning to discuss the paper. All you do is regurgitate the same word soup about complex things requiring a designer.

Nowhere do you show how the paper is wrong, i.e. refute the content of the paper.

So would you like to try and refute the paper now?
    Please respond to my post on the paper ... and stop soapboxing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

That's an unfounded faith-based belief ... that is the equivalent of somebody who has no experience of radio saying that mobile phones are impossible - because they have never seen a radio wave.
    Its not unfounded, maybe theres other universes outside of this one. But as far as the science goes thats what there is a universe. Whats unfounded is believing in a god that has mans body ruling the whole universe by himself.

Please respond to my post on the paper ... and stop soapboxing!!!

I did. I said you haven't shown anything to refute the paper and have asked you to post something that refutes the paper.

You should have it handy as you claimed to have such information almost 2 months ago.

Stop the lights ... and stall the ball ...
    ... lets deal with the proof for God in my exchange with Robin ... and my response to your 'prize' paper on ID ... before we jump on to something else!!

Okay, take page 1 of the 'prize' paper on ID, could you refute that?

We'll do one page at a time, refute page 1 first. If there's nothing of interest
    that you think needs to be mentioned, let us know & we'll move onto page 2.

Its not unfounded, maybe theres other universes outside of this one.
    ... maybe there are 'multiverses' ... or maybe there is a Heaven and a Hell as well !!!

But as far as the science goes thats what there is a universe.
    Science isn't the be all ... and the end all, of everything. It is merely (an important) method of evaluating our physical universe and everything physically therein.

Whats unfounded is believing in a god that has mans body ruling the whole universe by himself.
    God doesn't currently have a man's body ... He is eternal spirit.
    ... and we also possess an intelligent eternal spirit ... which seems to be similar to whatever intelligence Created the Universe ... and it is therefore plausible that we return to Him when our physical bodies die.

• Advertisement

Okay, take page 1 of the 'prize' paper on ID, could you refute that?

We'll do one page at a time, refute page 1 first. If there's nothing of interest
    that you think needs to be mentioned, let us know & we'll move onto page 2.
    I'll start with Item 3 page 3
    Quote:-
    3 Design
    Dembski's account of design is inconsistent. On the one hand, he never gives a positive account of design; we do not learn from reading his works what Dembski thinks design is.
    In The Design Inference [16] he simply denes design as the complement of regularity and chance, and the possibility that this complement is in fact empty is not seriously addressed.
    In No Free Lunch [19, p. xi] he gives a process-oriented account of design:
    (1) A designer conceives a purpose. (2) To accomplish that purpose, the designer forms a plan. (3) To execute the plan, the designer speci¯es building materials and assembly instructions. (4) Finally, the designer or some surrogate applies the assembly instructions to the building materials.
    But this is not a positive account of what constitutes design. Furthermore, the description is problematical. In common parlance, \design" can mean \pattern" or \motif", and the relationship between \pattern" and \purpose" is unclear. Intelligent design advocates claim that \design implies a designer", but perhaps this claim owes more to the structure of English than it does to logic. After all, we would not likely say \pattern implies a patterner".
    It is certainly easy to claim a teleological account of biology, but other natural processes produce \design", in the sense of pattern, without evidently falling under the process-oriented view of design that Dembski provides. Consider, for example, the highly symmetrical 6-sided patterns that appear in snow°akes. If there is any evidence of purpose in the patterns seen
    in snow°akes, it eludes us. We address this issue in more detail in Section 9.3.

In No Free Lunch [19, p. xi] he (Dembski) gives a process-oriented account of design:
    (1) A designer conceives a purpose. (2) To accomplish that purpose, the designer forms a plan. (3) To execute the plan, the designer specifes building materials and assembly instructions. (4) Finally, the designer or some surrogate applies the assembly instructions to the building materials.

But this is not a positive account of what constitutes design.

It is a repeatably observable (i.e. a scientifically valid) account of the only known method of producing Complex Specified Design (CSD)

Furthermore, the description is problematical. In common parlance, \design" can mean \pattern" or \motif", and the relationship between \pattern" and \purpose" is unclear.

... 'design' and even 'complex design' can indeed mean just 'pattern' ... but 'Complex Specified Design' doesn't mean pattern ... because it is functonal due to its specificity ... and it is actually the specificity that is the reason why it requires an intelligent source.

Intelligent design advocates claim that \design implies a designer", but perhaps this claim owes more to the structure of English than it does to logic.

Complex Specified Design implies a designer ... complex designs (i.e. without specificity) can be deterministically (or even randomly) produced.

After all, we would not likely say \pattern implies a patterner".

... and ID proponents don't say this either!!!
    ... because a pattern does not always imply a 'patterner'.

It is certainly easy to claim a teleological account of biology, but other natural processes produce \design", in the sense of pattern, without evidently falling under the process-oriented view of design that Dembski provides. Consider, for example, the highly symmetrical 6-sided patterns that appear in snow°akes. If there is any evidence of purpose in the patterns seen
    in snow°akes, it eludes us."

... biological processes are specified ... and they therefore produce Complex Functional Specified Design (that is the 'hallmark' of intelligent action).
    ... other patterned phenomena, like snowflakes and fractals, for example, produce complex designs allright ... but they do not produce specified functionality and these designs are therefore not specific ... and thus they can be produced using combinations of random and deterministic processes (that don't require any intelligent input).

JC that is a perfect way to analyze the paper, keep it up :cool:
    ... 'design' and even 'complex design' can indeed mean just 'pattern' ... but 'Complex Specified Design' doesn't mean pattern ... because it is functonal due to its specificity ... and it is actually the specificity that is the reason why it requires an intelligent source.

Not having thought it too hard, lets pretend you're making a 100% valid
    point about the definition of CSD. However the vitally important point that
    is being made is that Dembski himself defined design, not CSD, but just
    D, as the complement of regularity and chance.
    In The Design Inference [16] he simply defines design as the complement of regularity and chance, and the possibility that this complement is in fact empty is not seriously addressed.

Now, as you yourself are a serious mathematician, you understand the
    exclusionary nature of the set-theoretic operation known as taking the
    complement of a set.

Your CSD is just a subset of the large set Dembski has constructed, the
    authors are perfectly right in illustrating the flaw in Demski's definition
    considering the fact that his apparent complement actually includes
    things that aren't supposed to be in his complement.

The whole point is that Dembski's definition is flawed because it's just
    so general.

Again, lets pretend your CSD is a perfect definition & that CSD is in fact
    the complement of regularity and chance - that is not what Dembski
    wrote.

When the authors include the word "simply" I think it's an illustration of
    the authors feelings about the openness of Dembski's definition.

So Dembski's definition about design must be restricted to the subset of
    design known as complex specified design.

Wouldn't you agree JC? Do you think that the authors have made a valid
    point about Dembski's loose language? It's not the authors fault that
    Dembski was not specific enough in his specificity...

Before we go on to analyze any more, do you agree with me?

Not having thought it too hard, lets pretend you're making a 100% valid
    point about the definition of CSD. However the vitally important point that
    is being made is that Dembski himself defined design, not CSD, but just
    D, as the complement of regularity and chance.

Now, as you yourself are a serious mathematician, you understand the
    exclusionary nature of the set-theoretic operation known as taking the
    complement of a set.

Your CSD is just a subset of the large set Dembski has constructed, the
    authors are perfectly right in illustrating the flaw in Demski's definition
    considering the fact that his apparent complement actually includes
    things that aren't supposed to be in his complement.

The whole point is that Dembski's definition is flawed because it's just
    so general.

Again, lets pretend your CSD is a perfect definition & that CSD is in fact
    the complement of regularity and chance - that is not what Dembski
    wrote.

When the authors include the word "simply" I think it's an illustration of
    the authors feelings about the openness of Dembski's definition.

So Dembski's definition about design must be restricted to the subset of
    design known as complex specified design.

Wouldn't you agree JC? Do you think that the authors have made a valid
    point about Dembski's loose language? It's not the authors fault that
    Dembski was not specific enough in his specificity...

Before we go on to analyze any more, do you agree with me?
    I have noted that a direct quote from Dembski hasn't been provided on this issue nor is a page referenced in the cited book.

I can confirm that Complex Design can be produced by random and/or deterministic processes ... and therefore Complex Design isn't the complement of regularity and chance.

Complex Specified Design is the complement of regularity and chance ... because it cannot be produced by random and/or deterministic processes.
    Therefore the 'design' being referred to by Dembski as the complement of regularity and chance is clearly CSD.

In the absence of a specific quote, I certainly will not accept that Dembski's language was 'loose'. From what I have seen he brings rigour to his writings.

I have noted that a direct quote from Dembski hasn't been provided on this issue nor is a page referenced in the cited book.

I can confirm that Complex Design can be produced by random and/or deterministic processes ... and therefore Complex Design isn't the complement of regularity and chance.

Complex Specified Design is the complement of regularity and chance ... because it cannot be produced by random and/or deterministic processes.
    Therefore the 'design' being referred to by Dembski as the complement of regularity and chance is clearly CSD.

In the absence of a specific quote, I certainly will not accept that Dembski's language was 'loose'. From what I have seen he brings rigour to his writings.

Can you give an example for something that is a result of Complex Design, and an example of something that is a result of Complex Specified Design?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

i've got another question for JC.... since his entire arguement is based on probability... has he factored in quantum probability? because the odds change quite a bit when that is factored in!

In fact the amount of instances would increase by about 10^500...

just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I'll start with Item 3 page 3

It is a repeatably observable (i.e. a scientifically valid) account of the only known method of producing Complex Specified Design (CSD)

Complex Specified Design implies a designer ... complex designs (i.e. without specificity) can be deterministically (or even randomly) produced.

... and ID proponents don't say this either!!!
    ... because a pattern does not always imply a 'patterner'.

... biological processes are specified ... and they therefore produce Complex Functional Specified Design (that is the 'hallmark' of intelligent action).
    ... other patterned phenomena, like snowflakes and fractals, for example, produce complex designs allright ... but they do not produce specified functionality and these designs are therefore not specific ... and thus they can be produced using combinations of random and deterministic processes (that don't require any intelligent input).

First off, JC, the above points that you have made are meaningless without defining your terms precisely, which I have asked you to and am still waiting for. Secondly, if we continue down this road, we are going to be here till the post counter breaks and senility sets in. At the moment you are inviting posters to present a rebuttal to your rebuttal above of a rebuttal of Dembski's work. I thought that in this instance I would cut out a couple of steps and go straight for Dembski's work (and jugular). This is going to be as comprehensive as I can manage and may require multiple posts so bear with me.

Problem 1 - Misrepresentation of source material

As a christian JC, I'm sure that you're familiar with Matthew 7:26, the foolish man who builds his house on shifting sands. This is one of the key problems with Dembski's work. He references several sources in the compilation of his specified complexity argument which don't say what he says they say. I don't know whether this misinterpretation is through incompetence or dishonesty but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

1A - Stastical methods, experimental design, and scientific inference; R.A. Fisher; 1956

The first source which Dembski twists is Ronald Fisher's book on scientific research methods. On page 2 of "The Design Inference", Dembski references Fisher's work on elimination of chance through small probabilities. He says:

"When Ronald Fisher charged Gregor Mendel's gardening assistant with data falsification because Mendel's data matched Mendel's theory too closely, Fisher was eliminating chance through small probabilities (see Fisher, 1965, p.53)"

Dembski further uses Fisher's work as the basis for the creation of his trichotomy of design, regularity and chance and the explanatory filter based on it. Having detailed his filter, on page 49, Dembski states:

"Trichotomy holds because regularity, chance and design are mutually exclusive and exhaustive."

However, this simply isn't true. In Fisher's book, which Dembski refers to, Fisher says that mutations represent an option common to all three sets. Mutations occur individually at random, but collectively are governed by deterministic processes which, according to Fisher are all part of the design in God's divine plan.

The other problem is that Dembski has constructed his trichotomy to be mutually exclusive and exhaustive by definition and not by investigation. He states on page 36:

"Defining design as the set-theoretic complement of the disjunction of regularity-or-chance guarantees that the three modes of explanation are mutually exclusive or exhaustive."

Starting with such a blatant non-sequitur doesn't bode well for the rest of his work.

BTW, I find it interesting to note that Demsbki cites Fisher's work as 1965 when Fisher died in 1962. It should read 1956, just goes to show how rigorously it was scrutinised.

1B – A mathematical theory of communication; C.E. Shannon; 1948
    The next problem stems from Dembski’s use of the term information in relation to his development of the CSI concept. He outlines the idea of intelligent design as a theory of information in Chapter 6 of his book “Intelligent Design: The bridge between science and theology”. Dembski’s use of the term information is based on Shannon uncertainty or what has become known as entropy in information theory. This describes the amount of information required to transmit a signal irrespective of its content. The thing that Dembski attempts to dismiss or hide in his book, however, is that Shannon’s use of entropy is equivalent to entropy in thermodynamics.

The Gibbs entropy as outlined in the 1870s defines entropy, mathematically as:
    f03cef1034faedb50f7a08351399093f.png

while Shannon’s definition is
    026ecd86dda6e59b725030b4796a9846.png

The exact relationship between information theory entropy and thermodynamic is outlined in greater detail here:
    Entropy in thermodynamics and information theory

What Dembski is attempting with this chapter is to introduce the well-worn creationist cliché about the 2nd law of thermodynamics. He may have couched it in some new mathematical language but he’s not fooling anyone.

He further highlights this with his introduction of his “Law” of conservation of Information later in the chapter. He states:
    “Natural causes are therefore incapable of generating CSI. This broad conclusion I call the Law of Conservation of Information, or LCI for short. LCI has profound implications for science. Among its corollaries are the following: (1) The CSI in a closed system of natural causes remains constant or decreases. (2) CSI cannot be generated spontaneously, originate endogenously, or organize itself (as these terms are used in origins-of-life research). (3) The CSI in a closed system of natural causes either has been in the system eternally or was at some point added exogenously (implying that the system though now closed was not always closed). (4) In particular, any closed system of natural causes that is also of finite duration received whatever CSI it contains before it became a closed system.”
    It should be pointed out here that, Dembski’s “law” has not been the subject of peer-reviewed testing either by himself or others. It does not feature in the scientific literature and consequently has no merit as a claim. The fact that Dembski would claim this as a law shows astounding ego.

As a side note, for JC’s benefit, it is useful at this point to explain a scientific law since creationists rarely seem to understand them. To do this, I will use an example first given by physicist John W. Carroll.
    Consider the two statements:
    There are no gold spheres larger than 1 mile in diameter.
    There are no uranium spheres larger than 1 mile in diameter.
    The first statement could be considered to a theory, since it holds as long as our observed reality contains no gold spheres. The second statement on the other hand could be considered a law, because we know from nuclear physics that it is impossible to have a uranium sphere larger than about 6 inches, since anything larger would collapse in on itself.
    Dembski’s LCI contains no such rigorous scientific observations and no merit.

1C/D – The Origins of Life: Molecules and Natural Selection; L.E. Orgel; 1973. The Fifth Miracle; P. Davies; 1999.
    Misrepresentation seems to be the one skill that Dembski possesses in abundance. One of the recurring ones in Dembski’s work is to conflate his use of the term “specified complexity” with other uses in the scientific literature. It reminds me of the scene in Red Dwarf where Rimmer has stuck all the newspaper headlines on the wall as if they referred to him.

Dembski tries the same trick in No Free Lunch. Footnote 13 of Chapter 1 refers to the use of the term specified complexity by Leslie Orgel and Paul Davies. Orgel stated:
    “In brief, living organisms are distinguished by their specified complexity. Crystals are usually taken as the prototypes of simple well-specified structures, because they consist of a very large number of identical molecules packed together in a uniform way. Lumps of granite or random mixtures of polymers are examples of structures that are complex but not specified. The crystals fail to qualify as living because they lack complexity; the mixtures of polymers fail to qualify because they lack specificity.”
    while Davies comments:
    “Living organisms are mysterious not for their complexity per se, but for their tightly specified complexity.”
    Dembski’s tactic is to suggest, well look here are other scientists talking about specified complexity so I must be right. However, Dembski uses the term to mean something different and often contrary to what is reported in the literature. Take Davies, for example. On page 116 of The Fifth Miracle, Davies explains that he means high Kolmogorov complexity when he refers to complexity. Dembski on the other hand, on page 144 of No Free Lunch, uses specified complexity to refer to low Kolmogorov complexity.

Dembski has built his arguments on shifting sands, misrepresenting key source works either through his ignorance of evolutionary theory or deliberate deception and his CSI/CSD/CFSI ideas fall flat.

Problem 2 - Mutations and CSI

The fulcrum on which Dembski's dubious conclusions rest is the idea that mutation cannot generate new CSI. However it has been shown and can be shown that this is in fact the case.
    This is just a sample of six papers JC, but you're more than welcome to refute any or all of them. If they prove to be beyond your "convetional science qualifications" though maybe you can respond to this instead.

That's all I've got time for at the moment, but I'll be back with more. You're more than welcome to respond to this in the meantime JC.

Can you give an example for something that is a result of Complex Design, and an example of something that is a result of Complex Specified Design?
    A snowflake would be a complex design ... and a bicycle would be a complex specified design.

The difference between the two is that it doesn't matter what complex shape the snowflake forms (and there is an effective infinity of them) ... whereas the components of a bicycle must be specific shapes that interact precisely with each other and thus there is effectively only one way that a particular design for a particular bike will function..

Natural selection is able to create CFSI very easily. All it has to do is just keep on selecting variants that bear a resemblance to it.
    ... the problem with this is the fact that living organisms are observed to consist of many different functional components, any one of which will kill the organism, if it fails because a random change is made to it ... and the combinatorial space for each functional component is also effectively infinite ... with a very limited number of functional combinations ... and a much more limited number of functional components that will functionaly interact with each other.
    For example, a bike can be made many different ways ... but trying to design a bike from scratch with one change at a time (while retaining functionality) is an impossibility. Lets say we have a bicycle and the gear wheel isn't working properly due to a missing 'cog' ... and we try to fix the problem using randomly changed gear wheels and a selection process based on the resulting functionality. You could have an effective infinity of changes to the gear wheel ... and every one of them would decrease functionality ... you would get all kinds of cogs and none in all kinds of places ... but the chance of randomly getting the missing cog in exactly the right place and exactly the right size and shape is effectively zero.
    On the other hand, an intelligent agent could weld on the perfect replacement cog with perfectly specified dimensions where and when it is needed to be done.

Natural selection can select between different degrees of pre-existing functionality ... but it cannot produce the functionality in the first place ... and what is impossible for a combination of random changes and selection ... is possible every time for an intelligent agent.

A snowflake would be a complex design ... and a bicycle would be a complex specified design.

The difference between the two is that it doesn't matter what complex shape the snowflake forms (and there is an effective infinity of them) ... whereas the components of a bicycle must be specific shapes that interact precisely with each other and thus there is effectively only one way that a partcular design for a particular bike will function..

And how does any of that support the creationist myth? :confused:

And how does any of that support the creationist myth? :confused:
    living organisms exhibit complex specified designs ... that interact precisely with each other and thus there is effectively only one way that a particular design for a particular living process will function ... and the only known way of overcoming the vast non-functional design spaces that exist around all living systems, to produce the observed highly specified designs that precisely interact with each other is via the appliance of intelligence.

... and ID also supports other theories about the production/manipulation of life on Earth via the appliance of intelligence as well as Divine Creation.
    There is a view, for example, that life on Earth may have been 'seeded' or even genetically manipulated by Alien Intelligences. Prof Dawkins, for example, has speculated about this possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like how he's completely ignored oldrnwisr's post. It's like he can't actually see things that show him up.

Come on, J C, we've been asking you to debunk that paper for months now and you still haven't come close, preferring to whine about how we're supposed to explain things to you nice and gently.

Along comes a chap with the patience to hold your hand and guide you through your own mistakes step by step, and you just blank him.

Why haven't you debunked any of it yet? You've had more than enough time. And all your silence does is make you look stupid.

Sarky wrote: »
    I like how he's completely ignored oldrnwisr's post. It's like he can't actually see things that show him up.

Come on, J C, we've been asking you to debunk that paper for months now and you still haven't come close, preferring to whine about how we're supposed to explain things to you nice and gently.

Along comes a chap with the patience to hold your hand and guide you through your own mistakes step by step, and you just blank him.

Why haven't you debunked any of it yet? You've had more than enough time. And all your silence does is make you look stupid.
    I am trying to answer questions in some kind of logical sequence ... and to drill down particular lines of argument to their logical end-point. I therefore don't wish to jump all over the place ... which does nobody any good.

I have addressed one of oldrnwisr's postings here ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74828110&postcount=5936

oldrnwiser is indeed a very able and courteous poster but I would respectfully ask oldrnwisr to address the points I have made about his original points before bringing up other points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You've addressed nothing. You've shown no evidence, you've cited no literature of value. You never do. You are still a fraud and an intellectual coward.

Why aren't you able to demonstrably show one person on this thread to be wrong?

Sarky wrote: »
    You've addressed nothing. You've shown no evidence, you've cited no literature of value. You never do. You are still a fraud and an intellectual coward.

Why aren't you able to demonstrably show one person on this thread to be wrong?
    Please stop the unfounded ad hominem remarks ... and address specifics in what I say ... rather than what you may think I am.
    I am not out to show people to be wrong ... just to reach agreement on what is true and logical ... and what isn't, in relation to living organisms.
    A lot of ID doesn't have particular religious significance ... and certainly isn't a 'magic bullet' for creationism ... which makes Evolutionist aversion to it all the more perplexing.

Some of ye guys have (correctly) pointed out that it is a long way from proving the intelligent design of life ... to proving that it was intelligently designed by the God of the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I am disappoint with the pitiful number of thanks oldrnwisr has for that post.
    I learned from it. And learning is cool! /nerd
    Herd some cats in here and get the number up!

I am disappoint with the pitiful number of thanks oldrnwisr has for that post.
    I learned from it. And learning is cool! /nerd
    Herd some cats in here and get the number up!
    Oldrnwisr is indeed a very able poster ... indeed all of ye guys, when ye are not writing emotive tirades against me, do make very sensible points.
    ... and OK sometimes what I say does seem to 'push some of your buttons' beyond breaking point ... and if I have done so, it is unintended ... and I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Oldrnwisr is indeed a very able poster ... indeed all of ye guys, when ye are not writing emotive tirades against me, do make very sensible points.
    ... and OK sometimes what I say does seem to 'push some of your buttons' beyond breaking point ... and if I have done so, it is unintended ... and I apologise.
    Stop talking sh1t and trying to avoid the obvious. Respond to wisner's post in a meaningful way or fcuk off.

Your bullsh1t is beyond tiresome.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Apologies, JC, I missed this post the first time round.
    ... and I'm not sure if you know there is a Law of Biogenesis ... and Spontaneous Generation (of which so-called 'abiogenesis' is a variant) has about as much scientific credibility as Perpetual Motion Machines ... i.e. no credibility!!!

No, JC, there is a theory of biogenesis, not a law. I have already explained the difference to you so I'm not going to repeat myself. Even though Darwin had already addressed Pasteur's idea in a letter to Joseph Hooker in 1871, the real black swan event for Pastuer's biogenesis idea was the Miller-Urey experiment. What Pasteur suffered from in his formation of biogenesis was what Arthur C. Clarke called a failure of imagination. Pasteur was wrong but science had not sufficiently advanced in his lifetime to demonstrate this. It has now.
    In any case, it doesn't matter whether Miller-Urey was right about abiogenesis or whether life originated on earth through directed panspermia or some other unknown mechanism. None of this is relevant to a discussion on evolution in the same way that cosmogony is not relevant to a discussion on cosmology.
    ... and I'm not so sure that you know what random and deterministic processes are ...
    ... random processes destroy functional information ... and the processes that produce original CFSI are intelligently controlled ... and they are therefore not deterministic.

Mutation is a random process. However, natural selection acting on mutations is a deterministic process, see the difference.

The first sentence in the paper's summary indicates that this benefit is conferred by a loss of CFSI (which is going in the opposite direction to what is required to move from 'Mice to Men')!!!

"The CCR5-Δ32 deletion obliterates the CCR5 chemokine and the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)–1 coreceptor on lymphoid cells, leading to strong resistance against HIV-1 infection and AIDS. "

You're really not keeping up with this at all, are you JC? OK, let's do this in baby steps. The deletion of a gene or part thereof, does not necessarily lead to a loss in genetic information. The processes of gene duplication and gene deletion both contribute to an increase in the variation in the population. Since it is this variation which is what natural selection acts upon, an isolated incidence of gene deletion can and does lead to an overall increase in information and complexity.

It's all explained here:

Evolution of biological complexity

I note at this point, that the above link and the others that I have posted come from peer-reviewed sources, something you haven't managed to reciprocate in support of your CFSI claims.

A debatable 'benefit' produced by ... you guessed it ... a loss of CFSI
    ... which again is going in the opposite direction to what is required to move from 'Mice to Men'!!!

"These results strongly indicate that our patient has a loss-of-function mutation in the myostatin gene, thus suggesting that the inactivation of myostatin has similar effects in humans, mice, and cattle. So far, we have not observed any health problems in the patient. Since myostatin is also expressed in the heart, we have closely monitored our patient's cardiac function but have not yet detected any signs of cardiomyopathy or a conduction disturbance."

I have addressed the "loss" issue above, but I would like to point out that evolution is directionless. It's not a ladder, more like a treadmill. We're not some pinnacle of evolution. There is no "uphill" toward mankind, nor is there a "downhill" from your creation claim.

This one doesn't even confer an advantage
    "The bones of affected individuals, while appearing very dense radiographically, have normal external shape and outer dimensions and seem to have achieved a balance in bone turnover at a density that is significantly greater than necessary for normal skeletal stresses. Mutation analyses have revealed a single nucleotide mutation in the LRP5 gene resulting in an amino acid substitution (G171V) that was only present in HBM-affected individuals"

... and it is part of a group of disease-causing mutations

"Besides the HBM substitution, other mutations have been described for LRP5. In individuals with OPPG, nine disease-causing mutations in exons encoding the LRP5 extracellular domain have been identified, with each predicted to result in either frameshift or nonsense mutations."

Have you not watched Unbreakable? I'm sure that sufferers of Osteogenesis Imperfecta would love to understand the mechanism by which this particular mutation causes incredibly dense bones. As would people suffering from osteoporosis I imagine.

As for the disease-causing mutations comment, you will find that disease resistance mutations and disease inducing mutations are often two sides of the same coin. In some cases like the sickle-cell anaemia/malaria resistance, the cause is nothing more than population mechanics. Sharon Moalem has an excellent treatment of this in his book Survival of the Sickest.

Polystrate tree fossils do stick up through layers of rock that Evolutionists claim took millions of years to form through gradual depositon ... but the fact that the top of the trees are just as well preserved as the bottom proves that the rock was laid down in a matter of weeks /months ... and not millions of years.

No, no, no. Polystrate fossils do not present any kind of problem for uniformitarian geology. I am loath to have to resort to secondary sources but this is going to take too long to explain on thread so here is a summary which answers your argument and explains the problem.

Polystrate Tree Fossils

... so what was it supposed to be then?

The Big Bang was a rapid expansion of the universe from an initial hot, dense energy state. You see, expansion as in:

expansion (plural expansions)
    1. The act or process of expanding. The expansion of metals and plastics in response to heat is well understood.
    2. The fractional change in unit length per unit length per unit temperature change.
    3. A new addition. My new office is in the expansion behind the main building.
    4. A product to be used with a previous product. "This expansion requires the original game-board."
    NOT explosion

explosion (plural explosions)
    1. A violent release of energy (sometimes mechanical, nuclear, or chemical.)
    2. A bursting due to pressure.
    3. The sound of an explosion.
    4. A sudden increase.  [quotations ▼]
    5. A sudden outburst.

I don't recall that post ... please provide a link.
    I would say, that, when it comes to 'spurious religious claims' ... it's difficult to beat the spurious claims of Spontaneous Evolution!!!!:)

This one

Doc_Savage wrote: »
    i've got another question for JC.... since his entire arguement is based on probability... has he factored in quantum probability? because the odds change quite a bit when that is factored in!

In fact the amount of instances would increase by about 10^500...

just saying...
    Quantum mechanics operates at the atomic and sub-atomic levels ... and while some living processes operate at these levels ... genetic information is stored and utilised at higher molecular and macroscopic levels in DNA and other cellular machines.

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    Stop talking sh1t and trying to avoid the obvious. Respond to wisner's post in a meaningful way or fcuk off.

Your bullsh1t is beyond tiresome.

MrP
    Please be nice ... Mr P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement