Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dead one wrote: »
    What is the evidence for extraordinary evidence for these extraordinary claims
    1. God didn't create life on earth (Were you present there)

2. God isn't creator of universe (Were you eyewitness of it)

Nobody has made such claims.

We state that there is insufficient evidence that would point to there being some sort of creator, and until such evidence arises - we are humble enough to accept that 'we don't know' how life came about or how the universe was created. It is a perfectly valid stance to take, instead of filling in gaps with some mythological figure.

Now - In real terms, what that means is that - based on our current understanding of biology and cosmology - the chances of a God of creation existing are very low, and not worth considering.
    If accidents / chances can create life, then why, others planets, in this solar system, don't support life.

Firstly - We don't know that other planets (or moons) don't support life. Theoretically, life may exist on Europa, or on Mars in a primitive or bacterial form. Even if life is not present on Mars or Europa, that is meaningless, as they are not within the Goldilocks zone, and as such - the chances of life existing on them are substantially less than Earth.

That does not mean that life does not exist elsewhere in the Universe however. Earlier this year, we detected a number of Earth-sized planets within the goldilocks zone. The reality is, there are probably billions of planets in this Universe which are capable of sustaining life.

So if you're argument is that Earth has some unique place in the Universe in terms of having the right conditions to sustain life, then it is a very weak argument - that has already been dispelled by NASA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wasting your time there, dead one doesn't believe in NASA. He actively disbelieves that humans set foot on the moon, remember? Which, considering his latest tirade on evidence, is something I find incredibly amusing. There's certainly more evidence for moon landings (hundreds of books and scientific papers, video footage, actual first hand witnesses) than there is for Mohammed (one terribly-written book cobbled together by superstitious goat herders), but he's not going to be consistent and stop believing in that guy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes i am serious, It requires faith to believe in God and It requires faith to disbelieve in God --- as you had already made point --- see, in your own language

as there's no direct evidence which approves or disapproves existence of God --- So belief and disbelief in God is always matter of faith --- SO, when atheists say no to God, It is pure act of faith which make them a follower of religion --- That's my point
    Nope. I don't need "faith" to question the existence of a deity, particularly any local very human one.
    You don't know, Hindus believe in many gods and goddesses, at the same time they also believe in the existence of one supreme God and that supreme God is one --- It doesn't matter, by whatever name you may call him --- Majority of people, in the world, have faith in one God
    That's a contradiction. If Hindus believe in many gods and goddesses they believe in more than one god. One may be higher or lower, but they believe in other gods, not just one. They're not alone in this either.
    You are ----... See, i don't want to break your innocent heart --- You are that cute who is living in a garden full of flowers --- You haven't ever visited to jungle -- The jungle is so rough and full of beasts -- They pluck flower like you from its roots --So, i hope, next time, your bigotry will see points in my statements--
    All this is because, i love your innocence --- I don't want to make you cry :)
    Again with the veiled aggression.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. I don't need "faith" to question the existence of a deity, particularly any local very human one.
    That's a contradiction. If Hindus believe in many gods and goddesses they believe in more than one god. One may be higher or lower, but they believe in other gods, not just one. They're not alone in this either.

I think dead one is referring to Vishnu, who can in some ways be seen as the godhead of Hinduism, and seems to think that because Vishnu is "superior" to other hindu gods, hindus are really worshipping just Vishnu as supreme. Thus Hinduism and Islam and Christianity are the same.

It suggests, of course, that he doesn't know an awful lot about Hindu.

Still, though, going down that path, I wonder what he'd make of Shinto or Buddhism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

bigotry

yawn-2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

until Dead One can understand this we're wasting our time...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Still, though, going down that path, I wonder what he'd make of Shinto or Buddhism.
    or for that matter the early days of Judaism the original "Muslims" as far as the Quran thinks), where god had a wife and sons and was like Vishnu the highest god on the block. Judaism was polytheistic, only evolving into monotheisim later on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

or for that matter the early days of Judaism the original "Muslims" as far as the Quran thinks), where god had a wife and sons and was like Vishnu the highest god on the block. Judaism was polytheistic, only evolving into monotheisim later on.

Makes sense of the first Commandment anyway.

Makes sense of the first Commandment anyway.
    Yep and the fact that in Hebrew the names of god are in the plural and referred to as "us" and "we". Other gods like Baal are mentioned and not denied, just considered bad to worship. Then you have the devil, supposed to be an angel, but apparently god leaves him alone to do his stuff and he's responsible for all the evil and chaos in the universe. Seems pretty "godlike" to me. Meh every story needs a villain.

One can see some of the old polytheistic need in the various Judaism Version 2.1's out there. Islam has it the least by far, but still has minor god like figures like Jinns. Shaitan/Satan is in there, even Baal is mentioned and again like the first commandment may be seen as a minor god not worthy of worship. EG "Will ye call upon Baal and forsake the Best of Creators" or "Or is it that thou askest them for some recompense? But the recompense of thy Lord is best: He is the Best of those who give sustenance." Best of those? So others are out there?

Christianity has the trinity. Handy way to squeeze three gods into one. One could argue Catholicism in particular is polytheistic in all but name(indeed was commented upon and reviled by the early Protestants). It has Mary and the saints. The former a female deity who Catholics seem to pray to more than to their supposed leader/founder. The patron saints are like demigods. They're worshiped by people, have their own followers and rites and even have their own special areas of expertise. Just like the old Roman minor deities. I'm sure if you did a comparative study of common Roman minor gods and their spheres of influence you'd get a nice fit with later patron saints. Check out the list here: http://www.luckymojo.com/patronsaints.html So for a Catholic to look down on say a Hindu for having some statue to a god in their house they pray to, yet can't see the plank in their own eye with the "miraculous medals" and pictures of saints or putting a fiver in the poor box for the intercession of St Anthony? Irony.

For a monotheistic faith to exist, it would require the God involved to be everything as far as universal influence goes. It would have to be yin and yang, good and evil etc, with no other associated supernatural entities involved. I can't think of one TBH?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

robindch wrote: »
    yawn-2.gif
    Robin ... you should have stayed off the hormone therapy!!!!!:):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can we lock the thread now? A ban for JC and dead one would go down a treat as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

dlofnep wrote: »
    Nobody has made such claims.
    We state that there is insufficient evidence that would point to there being some sort of creator, and until such evidence arises - we are humble enough to accept that 'we don't know' how life came about or how the universe was created. It is a perfectly valid stance to take, instead of filling in gaps with some mythological figure.
    ;), You see bold, Who are "You" to "state" there is "insufficient evidence" --- ain't your beliefs behind "insufficient evidence" as it is your wish to explain origin of everything without creator ---
    Firstly - We don't know that other planets (or moons) don't support life. Theoretically, life may exist on Europa, or on Mars in a primitive or bacterial form. Even if life is not present on Mars or Europa, that is meaningless, as they are not within the Goldilocks zone, and as such - the chances of life existing on them are substantially less than Earth.
    That does not mean that life does not exist elsewhere in the Universe however. Earlier this year, we detected a number of Earth-sized planets within the goldilocks zone. The reality is, there are probably billions of planets in this Universe which are capable of sustaining life.
    So if you're argument is that Earth has some unique place in the Universe in terms of having the right conditions to sustain life, then it is a very weak argument -
    I am very convinced as you've got extraordinary evidence for your extraordinary claims -- Should i be convinced? Thanks
    Sarky wrote: »
    Wasting your time there, dead one doesn't believe in NASA. He actively disbelieves that humans set foot on the moon, remember? Which, considering his latest tirade on evidence, is something I find incredibly amusing. There's certainly more evidence for moon landings (hundreds of books and scientific papers, video footage, actual first hand witnesses) than there is for Mohammed (one terribly-written book cobbled together by superstitious goat herders), but he's not going to be consistent and stop believing in that guy.
    Many lives had already been wasted life in this great american political drama
    Why should i believe in American Cheater --- Even they still are cheating world by creating a new great stage play 9-11 --- Why should i believe in cheaters, who tried cheat the fate of humanity --- He can believe in them who is dishonest... Majority of american governments proved them to be enemy of human race --- The cheater are the only source of world problems --- who would believe, these cheaters will set fate of humanity
    You don't need faith to question the existence of a diety, but you need faith not to believe in deity ----
    That's a contradiction. If Hindus believe in many gods and goddesses they
    They believe in supreme being, with believing in gods and godessess--
    Again with the veiled aggression.
    Did you read his veiled stupidness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

[-0-] wrote: »
    Can we lock the thread now? A ban for JC and dead one would go down a treat as well.
    Yes you can retreat
    robindch wrote: »
    yawn-2.gif
    J C wrote: »
    Robin ... you should have stayed off the hormone therapy!!!!!:):D
    robindch, save your body from fats of materialism --- only thing that exists is matter; that all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions. ----

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

only thing that exists is matter; that all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions.
    Is this sarcasm? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

No, garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Yes you can retreat

robindch, save your body from fats of materialism --- only thing that exists is matter; that all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions. ----

Retreating != sick of flogging a dead horse.

You're [...TEXT DELETED...] way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Retreating != sick of flogging a dead horse.

"Dead" is a fairly generous assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Since I'm waiting for some data backups to complete, I thought that I would post an addendum to my previous contribution because I wasn't entirely satisfied with my reply to JC's comment about horse kinds. In particuar, there are things in his original post about horse kinds that I'd like to take issue with.

The foundation that JC is building his argument on is the work of Mats Molen, particularly this article on Creation Ministries International.

The evolution of the horse

I'm going to show why Molen's argument doesn't stand up and consequently why JC's doesn't.

Molen, unsurprisingly for a creationist, manages to fall at the first hurdle. He introduces the main body of the article by referring to a figure which represents what he claims is the development of the horse according to evolution.

7614-fig1lrg-evolutionary-tree.gif

This is the classic creationist strawman tactic. Molen is using an evolutionary tree constructed in 1951 as a representation of modern evolution. Unfortunately for Molen, research has not stood still in the last 60 years so a more up-to-date tree shows a different story.

mcfaddenhorsephylo2005.jpg?w=500

(Source1)

(Source2)

So already Molen isn't even arguing against what modern evolutionary theory is claiming, just an outdated caricature. A lot of the changes represent additions from new fossil finds or reclassifications thanks to information gained from comparative genomics. Many of the changes have no significant impact on the overall path from Hyracotherium to Equus, however Molen's diagram incorrectly places Pliohippus between Merychippus and Equus. We now know that this place should be occupied by Dinohippus with Pliohippus being a separate offshoot of Merychippus between Calippus and Astrohippus.

Now to get to the "problems that Molen identifies.

1. Gaps in the Fossil Record

Molen identifies two weaknesses in the fossil record that evolutionists use to support the evolution of the horse. In both cases, he comments on the scarcity of fossil records and how tenuous any conclusions drawn from the existing ones are.

1a - Epihippus

Molen comments regarding Epihippus:

"Only sparse fossil pieces have been found of this animal, and they resemble those of the earlier Orohippus, Eohippus and other formerly-identified hyracotherid species."

He references a paper by Froehlich from 2002 which, of course, doesn't say, what he says it does. In fact the fossil record of Epihippus is extensive with fossils recovered from the following locations:

As for the resemblance, you would expect a great deal of resemblance between Epihippus and Orohippus from which it directly arose. However, the development of another premolar into a molar giving five grinding teeth shows the adaptation of Epihipppus in the changing American plains.

1b - Parahippus

Molen manages to make an even bigger eejit of himself with Parahippus. In particular he makes two claims which can be shown to be outdated and groundless:

"The early Parahippus species are supposed to resemble Miohippus and Mesohippus while the latter ones are supposed to look like Merychippus; this is only partly supported by the fossil findings."

"Furthermore, the fossil material for Parahippus is incomplete."

The references he uses to back up these claims date to 1918 and 1937 respectively. He completely ignores any and all research in the intervening period. Research such as:

In forming his conclusion:

"This latter result can also be inferred by the work of Cavanaugh et al., as Parahippus showed similarities to 14 of 18 species of horses. Therefore, the “Parahippus” step in the horse series appears to be a mixed up group of unrelated fossils."

Molen completely ignores adaptive radiation and the body of research supporting this in the case of Parahippus.

2. Horse series not monophyletic

Molen moves on to point out that the original Hyracotherium group was reclassified in 1992 and also references Froelich's paper from 2002 to support this. However, the only thing that Molen is successful in demonstrating is that he has no idea how cladistic phylogenetics works or how taxonomy relates to evolution.

"In 1992, the genus Hyracotherium was reclassified as five animals belonging to different families of which only one group was regarded as having anything to do with horses.15 More recent research has reclassified these animals into ten different genera and at least three families, of which many are not supposed to have anything to do with the horse series but are similar to e.g. tapirs (family Tapiromorpha).9 One Hyracotherium species (angustidens) has been renamed Eohippus, and all the other Hyracotherium species except one, have been given new genus names. The single animal still retaining the name Hyracotherium (leporinum) is no longer in the horse series but is regarded as belonging next to the Palaeotheriidae, which resemble tapirs and rhinoceros."

Froelich points out in his paper that the original group was far too diverse to be considered a single clade and instead reclassifies it to create a paraphyletic sequence. However, none of this has any negative impact on the established ancestry of the modern Equus genus.

3. Early horses from same age as later horses.

In this section, Molen repeats the oft-quoted creationist claim that early horses such as eohippus are found in the same strata as later ones. He cites Barnhart's "A Critical Evaluation of the Phylogeny of the Horse" as his supporting evidence. However, Barnhart among other authors falls into the trap of repeating this long debunked creationist hoax. A detailed treatment of this claim can be found here:

Did Hyracotherium and Equus live at the same time?

4. Transitional forms showing tooth development are rare

The final section of Molen's article which attacks evolutionary theory concerns the alleged lack of evidence showing tooth development from leaf-eating to grazing among fossil horses. This, though, seems to be a case of Molen sticking his head in the sand. Tooth development, along with hoof development is one of the key indentifying features in the morphological progression of the horse series. It can be readily observed as seen in this image:

300px-Horseevolution.png

Source

Kathleen Hunt also makes frequent use of tooth development as a guide in her excellent treatise on horse evolution.

Horse Evolution

Following these points, Molen goes on to discuss where he would place the various ancestral species into different kinds and then attempts to demonstrate that there was no post-flood evolution.

His conclusions are in essence one monumental argument from ignorance resulting from poor reasoning, dishonest argument, denial of evidence and limited understanding of the subject matter. He demonstrates nothing to contradict the established evolution of modern horses and JC's farcical use of his work shows just how stupid some creationists can be.

J C owned again.

The cry of every dictator down the centuries ... 'I don't like what he is saying ... so send him to the Gulags ... to the guillotine ... to be burned at the stake!!!'
    Just like every pseudo-liberal, you are great at claiming free speech ... but not so good at granting it to those who disagree with you!!!
    ... and why does myself and Dead One deserve a ban? ... we have broken no rules and have politely engaged in the debate ... but then the millions murdered by dictatorial regimes (of all religious persuasions and none) down the centuries didn't deserve to be killed or banned from their societies either!!!:(

... and as sombody has already observed on this thread ... the burning of books (suppression of ideas) has often led to the exiling/killing of their authors!!!

... and the gulags of the Soveit Atheists lasted up until 1988!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

The cry of every dictator down the centuries ... 'I don't like what he is saying ... so send him to the Gulags ... to the guillotine ... to be burned at the stake!!!'
    Just like every pseudo-liberal, you are great at claiming free speech ... but not so good at granting it to those who disagree with you!!!
    ... and why does myself and Dead One deserve a ban? ... we have broken no rules and have politely engaged in the debate ... but then the millions murdered by dictatorial regimes (of all religious persuasions and none) down the centuries didn't deserve to be killed or banned from their societies either!!!:(

... and as sombody has already observed on this thread ... the burning of books (suppression of ideas) has often led to the exiling/killing of their authors!!!

... and the gulags of the Soveit Atheists lasted up until 1988!!!

Clearly you're still waffling freely, so why not address some of the points put to you in the post above you by Oldrnwisr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh grow the help up, J C, your persecution complex has gotten even older than your constant lying and cowardice.

Perhaps instead of making yourself look foolish again you could debunk that paper at last? your refusal to face up to it just reinforces the view that you're hiding from it because you're unable to refute it.

So once again: prove us wrong.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Molen, unsurprisingly for a creationist, manages to fall at the first hurdle. He introduces the main body of the article by referring to a figure which represents what he claims is the development of the horse according to evolution.

7614-fig1lrg-evolutionary-tree.gif

This is the classic creationist strawman tactic. Molen is using an evolutionary tree constructed in 1951 as a representation of modern evolution. Unfortunately for Molen, research has not stood still in the last 60 years so a more up-to-date tree shows a different story.

mcfaddenhorsephylo2005.jpg?w=500
    The two diagrams perfectly illustrate the fact that the Human Imagination is endless ... and you can combine different species into an effective infinity of supposed Evolutionist 'trees' and 'stories' ... that change incessantly.
    Anybody can claim that a variety of tapir turned into a Horse ... or a glorified rat turned into a man ... but if they cannot show how even one specific functional 100 chain sequence can be produced spontaneously then such speculations remain in the realm of speculation.
    ... and the fact that crocodiles, rats and tapirs (and thousands of other 'living fossils') have remained crocodiles, rats and tapirs during all the supposed millions of years of Evolutionary 'time' undermines the credibility of these speculations.

So already Molen isn't even arguing against what modern evolutionary theory is claiming, just an outdated caricature. A lot of the changes represent additions from new fossil finds or reclassifications thanks to information gained from comparative genomics. Many of the changes have no significant impact on the overall path from Hyracotherium to Equus, however Molen's diagram incorrectly places Pliohippus between Merychippus and Equus. We now know that this place should be occupied by Dinohippus with Pliohippus being a separate offshoot of Merychippus between Calippus and Astrohippus.
    It really doesn't matter where you place these fossils ... all that can be said scientifically about them is that they existed at one time, were killed catastrophically ... and preserved by rapid burial under millions of tonnes of water-borne sediment that was deposited all over the world ... something like a worldwide flood!!!!:)
    Now to get to the "problems that Molen identifies.

1. Gaps in the Fossil Record

Molen identifies two weaknesses in the fossil record that evolutionists use to support the evolution of the horse. In both cases, he comments on the scarcity of fossil records and how tenuous any conclusions drawn from the existing ones are.

1a - Epihippus

Molen comments regarding Epihippus:

"Only sparse fossil pieces have been found of this animal, and they resemble those of the earlier Orohippus, Eohippus and other formerly-identified hyracotherid species."

He references a paper by Froehlich from 2002 which, of course, doesn't say, what he says it does. In fact the fossil record of Epihippus is extensive with fossils recovered from the following locations:

One man's 'scarcity' is obviously another man's 'abundance'.:)
    As for the resemblance, you would expect a great deal of resemblance between Epihippus and Orohippus from which it directly arose. However, the development of another premolar into a molar giving five grinding teeth shows the adaptation of Epihipppus in the changing American plains.
    ... some people have four third molars (or 'wisdom' teeth) ... while 35% of the population don't have any at all ... and other people have more than four of these teeth ... but none of this is due to 'evolution' or how much they grind their teeth.
    Ditto with the dentitition of Epihippus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_tooth
    1b - Parahippus

Molen manages to make an even bigger eejit of himself with Parahippus. In particular he makes two claims which can be shown to be outdated and groundless:

"The early Parahippus species are supposed to resemble Miohippus and Mesohippus while the latter ones are supposed to look like Merychippus; this is only partly supported by the fossil findings."

"Furthermore, the fossil material for Parahippus is incomplete."

The references he uses to back up these claims date to 1918 and 1937 respectively. He completely ignores any and all research in the intervening period. Research such as:

In forming his conclusion:

"This latter result can also be inferred by the work of Cavanaugh et al., as Parahippus showed similarities to 14 of 18 species of horses. Therefore, the “Parahippus” step in the horse series appears to be a mixed up group of unrelated fossils."

Molen completely ignores adaptive radiation and the body of research supporting this in the case of Parahippus.

2. Horse series not monophyletic

Molen moves on to point out that the original Hyracotherium group was reclassified in 1992 and also references Froelich's paper from 2002 to support this. However, the only thing that Molen is successful in demonstrating is that he has no idea how cladistic phylogenetics works or how taxonomy relates to evolution.
    ... he certainly showed that the classification of the 'horse groups' is very 'fluid'... and changes by the minute.
    ["In 1992, the genus Hyracotherium was reclassified as five animals belonging to different families of which only one group was regarded as having anything to do with horses.15 More recent research has reclassified these animals into ten different genera and at least three families, of which many are not supposed to have anything to do with the horse series but are similar to e.g. tapirs (family Tapiromorpha).9 One Hyracotherium species (angustidens) has been renamed Eohippus, and all the other Hyracotherium species except one, have been given new genus names. The single animal still retaining the name Hyracotherium (leporinum) is no longer in the horse series but is regarded as belonging next to the Palaeotheriidae, which resemble tapirs and rhinoceros."

Froelich points out in his paper that the original group was far too diverse to be considered a single clade and instead reclassifies it to create a paraphyletic sequence. However, none of this has any negative impact on the established ancestry of the modern Equus genus.
    Yet more 'chopping and changing' ... but nothing proven about what actually happened.

3. Early horses from same age as later horses.

In this section, Molen repeats the oft-quoted creationist claim that early horses such as eohippus are found in the same strata as later ones. He cites Barnhart's "A Critical Evaluation of the Phylogeny of the Horse" as his supporting evidence. However, Barnhart among other authors falls into the trap of repeating this long debunked creationist hoax. A detailed treatment of this claim can be found here:

Did Hyracotherium and Equus live at the same time?
    I've read your link ... and I've found no evidence that disproves Molen's claim that horses such as eohippus are found in the same strata as supposedly 'later' ones.

4. Transitional forms showing tooth development are rare

The final section of Molen's article which attacks evolutionary theory concerns the alleged lack of evidence showing tooth development from leaf-eating to grazing among fossil horses. This, though, seems to be a case of Molen sticking his head in the sand. Tooth development, along with hoof development is one of the key indentifying features in the morphological progression of the horse series. It can be readily observed as seen in this image:

300px-Horseevolution.png

Source

Kathleen Hunt also makes frequent use of tooth development as a guide in her excellent treatise on horse evolution.

Horse Evolution
    Tooth development would not be conclusive evidence either way ... as NS is quite capable of selecting dentition patterns to suit particular environments by selecting from the pre-existing CFSI genetic diversity infused at creation in the Horse Kind.

Following these points, Molen goes on to discuss where he would place the various ancestral species into different kinds and then attempts to demonstrate that there was no post-flood evolution.

His conclusions are in essence one monumental argument from ignorance resulting from poor reasoning, dishonest argument, denial of evidence and limited understanding of the subject matter. He demonstrates nothing to contradict the established evolution of modern horses and JC's farcical use of his work shows just how stupid some creationists can be.
    I will not even respond to this Ad Hominem attack, as it makes no scientific observations about the supposed 'horse series' or Molen's research and conclusions.

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh grow the help up, J C, your persecution complex has gotten even older than your constant lying and cowardice.

Perhaps instead of making yourself look foolish again you could debunk that paper at last? your refusal to face up to it just reinforces the view that you're hiding from it because you're unable to refute it.

So once again: prove us wrong.
    I don't feel persecuted ... but that doesn't mean that it could never happen ...
    ... and the chances of it happening, rises if statements urging discrimination against myself and my fellow Creationists go unchallenged.

... flogging a dead horse.
    ... one way of describing the 'horse series'!!!!!:);):D:eek:

... and the fact that crocodiles, rats and tapirs (and thousands of other 'living fossils') have remained crocodiles, rats, tapirs (and unchanged 'living fossils') during all the supposed millions of years of Evolutionary 'time' totally undermines the credability of these speculations.
    Eh not quite. These so called living fossils have changed over time. They're still recognisable as those animals, but they ain't the same. In any event so what if some life doesn't change much? If they have a niche in the ecosystem that doesn't vary over time, why change? There's no pressure to do so. Very few if any "living fossils" remain the same. The Gingko, one of the best examples, has changed in leaf layout and size in the 100's of millions of years it's been around. It's also got a huge DNA strand, that it's picked up over that time.
    It really doesn't matter where you place these fossils ... all that can be said scientifically about them is that they existed at one time, were killed catastrophically ... and preserved by rapid burial under millions of tonnes of water-borne sediment that was deposited worldwide.
    Complete and utter nonsense. You can't state anything approaching that "scientifically". In a very broad sense there are two types of fossil assemblages. Life assemblages and death assemblages. The former are rapid burial(though in the case of sedentary life, not always). The latter are fossils laid down over time, not rapid burial. They can show scavenger action and even weathering. Oh and the death assemblage is the more common. How would that work in Noah's flood? Answer, it wouldn't.

Oh and BTW fossils don't have to be found in water borne sediment. Many are found in desert sediments where wind and sand have covered them. Again no water or Noah required.

Another issue with your Biblical "scienticians" and their flood is why do marine animals die out in this flood? More marine life than land life has gone extinct in the history of the earth. You'd think a flood would be like catnip to them...
    ... some people have four 'wisdom' molars ... while 35% of the population don't have any ... and other people have mre than 4 ... and none of this is due to 'evolution' or how much they gring their teeth.
    Actually it has. Soft tissues evolve faster than bony tissue. Our palate has changed over the last 100,000 years(likely to do with the evolution of speech). Earlier humans had larger palates. Modern humans are selecting for smaller teeth and palates. Some moderns just show some earlier features. EG I've got an extra lower vertebra. The majority don't, but earlier hominids did, so I'm a bit of a throwback :). It's also thought to be down to lifestyle. Humans on "natural" hunter gatherer diets don't suffer to near the same extent with dental overcrowding and have better developed palates.

BTW what about my question regarding early humans? Where do they fit in with your biblical science?

From now on - instead of the phrase "You may aswell be talking to a brick wall..." - I think it's only apt to use "You may aswell be talking to a creationist".

Exhibit A:
    It really doesn't matter where you place these fossils ... all that can be said scientifically about them is that they existed at one time, were killed catastrophically ... and preserved by rapid burial under millions of tonnes of water-borne sediment that was deposited all over the world ... something like a worldwide flood!!!!

Completely disregarding the fact that not all fossils were preserved under water borne sediment, or the fact that different fossils appear at varying layers of rock. Conveniently, the most primitive and early forms of life appear in the early layers of rock, and the more evolved forms of life appear newer layers of rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

... one way of describing the 'horse series'!!!!!:);):D:eek:

You don't actually think you're funny, do you? I mean, you're about as funny as David Quinn. That's a laugh at, not with, kind of funny. And it's really boring at this stage.

Plautus wrote: »
    You don't actually think you're funny, do you? I mean, you're about as funny as David Quinn. That's a laugh at, not with, kind of funny. And it's really boring at this stage.
    It is literally ... and metaphrically true ... and whether you are laughing at or with the 'horse series' ... its good that you are laughing.
    Mbeep ... Mbeep!!!:)

• Advertisement

From now on - instead of the phrase "You may aswell be talking to a brick wall..." - I think it's only apt to use "You may aswell be talking to a creationist".
    ... the dogged determination of the Evolutionists on this thread to illogically believe that they are direct descendents of pondkind ... indicates that they may have an intimate relationship with brick walls themselves.:)

Completely disregarding the fact that not all fossils were preserved under water borne sediment, or the fact that different fossils appear at varying layers of rock. Conveniently, the most primitive and early forms of life appear in the early layers of rock, and the more evolved forms of life appear newer layers of rock.
    Practically all fossils are preserved in sedimentary or metamorphic rocks ... that both have their origins in the precipitation of sediment in water.
    ... and as the rock layers are 'dated' by the fossils found in them ... it is a circular argument to then 'date' the fossils by the rocks they are found in. In actual fact the rock layers are a record of the burial sequence in Noah's Flood ... with 'bottom dwelling' low mobility sea creatues buried first ... other water dwelling creatures next ... land plants next ... low mobility land animals next and 'higher' land animals last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement