Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think you just mis-read his (johnmcdnl) post.
    ... I think that I did mis-read it ... but one can't be too careful when you are in the Lion's Den!!
    vibe666 wrote: »
    but if he had been genuine, i think what you mean is, you wouldn't get a job in a credible scientific field if you show that you lack credibility. it's not a conspiracy, it's just good business.
    ... I agree that it is not a conspiracy ...its just old-fashioned religious bigotry and crass discrimination ... dressed up in pseudo-scientific babble.

... and people's livelihoods have been destroyed ... by guys like you ... and the pseudo-liberals just look the other way!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J C wrote: »
    I am genuinely shocked that you Robin would refer to two women as 'four tits'.
    It was all that anybody could see of these elegantly demure ladies -- I can't recall a single person staring at their comely faces at any point during the evening.

And, I have to say that as a committed admirer of the female form in its most up-front, in-your-face, shapely, maternal -- dare I say perfect -- form, a very fine quartet of breasts they are too. My most sincere congratulations and honest admiration to their respective owners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I am genuinely shocked that you Robin would refer to two women as 'four tits'.

I though you were above making such an overtly mysogenistic remark ... but I was obviously wrong.:(
    I think the ladies in question would be the first to admit they were hired for... well not for their intellectual assets anyway.

And Robin you weren't lying when you said the Charles Darwin they has wasn't up to scratch!

robindch wrote: »
    It was all that anybody could see of these elegantly demure ladies -- I can't recall a single person staring at their comely faces at any point during the evening.

And, I have to say that as a committed admirer of the female form in its most up-front, in-your-face, shapely, maternal -- dare I say perfect -- form, a very fine quartet of breasts they are too. My most sincere congratulations and honest admiration to their respective owners.
    Whatever about all these invalid excuses ... do you, on mature reflection, now wish to withdraw your description of two women as 'four tits'?

Speaking man to man ... Robin you are out of order here ... and I would ask you to withdraw your ill-considered remark about these two women.

Dades wrote: »
    And Robin you weren't lying when you said the Charles Darwin they has wasn't up to scratch!
    ... just like the original Charles Darwin also wasn't up to much either ... he claimed to know all there was to know about heredity and the origins of species ... and ended up marrying his own first cousin ... while claiming that this would somehow 'improve' their childrens' genetics??!!!

• Advertisement

I think the ladies in question would be the first to admit they were hired for... well not for their intellectual assets anyway.
    They were there presumably to add a badly-needed glamourous contrast to Darwin and the Gorilla ...
    ... but they shouldn't be demeaned by such insulting remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

John please be careful ... your profile is public ... and these guys will ensure you never get a job in science if they think you are a creationist.

You are an evolutionist ... and you were using irony ... weren't you?

that is a quote from the book - probably should have made that a bit more obvious :P :P

How would you like it if somebody referred to you as a penis ... or a Dick?
    Just fyi -- if I showed up to some event wearing a posing pouch, then I would expect it. In fact, I'd be rather shocked if anybody had failed to notice it and point it out!
    ... but they shouldn't be demeaned by such insulting remarks.
    Insulting them? I'm not insulting them at all! As above, I thoroughly admire what they brought to the event and enjoyed it as much as everybody else did! Or, at least, all the men anyway, since I think more than one or two of the other ladies present on the evening appeared quite insulted to see two women who appeared to be treated by the organizer, as well as by everbody else, as exactly what they appeared to be there for -- simple sex objects.

If Mr May wishes to be treated seriously by anybody -- and I saw nobody treat him seriously all evening long, leading me occasionally to feel rather sorry for the man -- then he would be well advised to avoid delivering speeches while standing in the center of a semicircle formed by a man in a gorilla suit, a man with a clearly fake beard stuck to his chin, and two wonderful ladies with enormous breasts which they waggled around from time to time.
    They were there presumably to add a badly-needed glamourous contrast to Darwin and the Gorilla ...
    Oh, so you do agree that they were there simply as sex objects?

In that case, I think we're in agreement and that's not something that happens all that often! :)

Just fyi -- if I showed up to some event wearing a posing pouch, then I would expect it. In fact, I'd be rather shocked if anybody had failed to notice it and point it out!
    ... so you think that a woman dressed in a T-shirt and jeans is the equivalent of a man in a posing pouch????

If a woman turned up at a book launch dressed only in a bra and a G-string... you might have a point ... but these ladies were modestly clothed in T-shirts and jeans!!!!

Thousands of women go to work, shopping, on holdiays, etc dressed like these ladies ... and I don't think that they deserve to be leered at and sexually harassed for doing so.

Robin ... the first rule when you are in corner ... is to stop digging!!!

Insulting them? I'm not insulting them at all! As above, I thoroughly admire what they brought to the event and enjoyed it as much as everybody else did! Or, at least, all the men anyway, since I think more than one or two of the other ladies present on the evening appeared quite insulted to see two women who appeared to be treated by the organizer, as well as by everbody else, as exactly what they appeared to be there for -- simple sex objects.
    You obviously don't seem to know that some women work as professional models ... and, like I say, on a sunny day, half of the women in Dublin are dressed like these women. Should they now have to wear an overcoat to stop you leering at them?

If Mr May wishes to be treated seriously by anybody -- and I saw nobody treat him seriously all evening long, leading me occasionally to feel rather sorry for the man -- then he would be well advised to avoid delivering speeches while standing in the center of a semicircle formed by a man in a gorilla suit, a man with a clearly fake beard stuck to his chin, and two wonderful ladies with enormous breasts which they waggled around from time to time.
    I wasn't at the meeting ... so I cannot confirm or deny whether these women 'waggled their breasts' ... but I know that they wouldn't do so if they were professional models ... or indeed ordinary women with respect for themselves ... so I frankly don't believe that they did so.
    Equally, your charge that they had 'enormous' breasts is clearly wrong, based on the photo you have posted. All this stuff seems to be in your 'dirty' mind, Robin!!!!

Originally Posted by J C

Robin
    Oh, so you do agree that they were there simply as sex objects?
    Robin, being glamourous has nothing to do with sex ... and everything to do with empowerment and confidence. That is why Glamour Magazine is one the leading womens magazines in Britain and Ireland.

To get some insight into how modern women think perhaps you should read Glamour Magazine ... you might even 'lose' some of your troglodyte views (with apologies to troglodytes) if you did so.
    http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/

Ooops ... I'm beginning to sound like Mel Gibson in 'What Women Want'!!!!:eek:

All men should try looking at the world from the perspective of women some time ... perhaps I am more sensitive to other people who get a 'raw deal' ... because Creationists find themselves patronised and discriminated against ... just like women were ... and sometimes still are!!!

In that case, I think we're in agreement and that's not something that happens all that often! :)
    We are not in agreement on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Robin ... the first rule when you are in corner ... is to stop digging!!!
    oh the ironing

Equally, your charge that they had 'enormous' breasts is clearly wrong, based on the photo you have posted.

Wait hang on. There's pics? :eek::pac:

edit
    invalid Attachment specified.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

... because I like Prof Dawkins incisive comments!!!

Okay but you do realise that book is arguing against design? Would seem strange to have in your sig.

bluewolf wrote: »
    oh the ironing

Wait hang on. There's pics? :eek::pac:

edit

:(
    As a woman, Bluewolf, is that all you can contribute to this debate on the right of women to dress in a T-shirt and jeans ... and not be leered at?

... or does the fact that Robin is an Evolutionist ... mean that no matter how insulting his remarks, you tolerate them?

... you are not doing Robin ... or women ... or indeed Evolutionists ... any favours by supporting him by your silence on this issue.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Okay but you do realise that book is arguing against design? Would seem strange to have in your sig.
    The fact that Prof Dawkins argues against design (for his own anti-God reasons) ... whilst effectively admitting that living organisms are purposefully designed, is the irony that I am highlighting!!!

The fact that Prof Dawkins argues against design (for his own anti-God reasons) ... whilst effectively admitting that living organisms are purposefully designed, is the irony that I am highlighting!!!

You're joking right?

Ush1 wrote: »
    You're joking right?
    ... Prof Dawkins has indeed said that living organisms give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose ... and he then promptly denies this by claiming that blind evolutionary processes did it ...
    ... but materialistic processes are incapable of producing CSI ... and we have the maths to prove it!!!

It is a fair quote that highlights Prof Dawkins belief, that even though living organisms have the appearance of purposeful design, that this didn't actually happen ... and Creationist arguments that the appearance of Intelligent Design is actually very good evidence that it did!!!!

... one problem with Prof Dawkin's idea is that ... if it has the appearance of quacking like a duck and has the appearance of swimming like a duck and has the appearance of looking like a duck ... then it can be safely concluded that it is a duck!!!!

... so Prof Dawkin's conclusion that living processes give the appearance of being designed for a purpose ... means that it can be safely concluded that they were so designed!!!

Thousands of women go to work, shopping, on holdiays, etc dressed like these ladies
    Unfortunately, none of these other women take time out on a wednesday evening to waggle their shapely breasts during publicity photoshoots taking place during the lauch of a book which purports to be "scientific".
    these ladies were modestly clothed in T-shirts and jeans!!!! [...] I wasn't at the meeting ... so I cannot confirm or deny whether these women 'waggled their breasts' [...] I frankly don't believe that they did so.
    As you weren't at the meeting and, therefore, not in a position to see these excellent ladies playfully wiggle and waggle in their skintight white tops in front of the many cameras that were there, I'll forgive you for implying that I'm a liar.

... Prof Dawkins has indeed said that living organisms give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose ... and he then promptly denies this by claiming that blind evolutionary processes did it ...
    ... but materialistic processes are incapable of producing CSI ... and we have the maths to prove it!!!

It is a fair quote that highlights Prof Dawkins belief, that even though living organisms have the appearance of purposeful design, that this didn't actually happen ... and Creationist arguments that the appearance of Intelligent Design is actually very good evidence that it did!!!!

... one problem with Prof Dawkin's idea is that ... if it has the appearance of quacking like a duck and has the appearance of swimming like a duck and has the appearance of looking like a duck ... then it can be safely concluded that it is a duck!!!!

... so Prof Dawkin's conclusion that living processes give the appearance of being designed for a purpose ... means that it can be safely concluded that they were so designed!!!

Okay, so where is Dawkins admitting things were designed?

I see you thinking they were, not Dawkins.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Wait hang on. There's pics?
    Yep:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/25807/128007.jpg

Enjoy!

... two wonderful ladies with enormous breasts which they waggled around from time to time.
    Unfortunately, none of these other women take time out on a wednesday evening to waggle their shapely breasts during publicity photoshoots taking place during the lauch of a book which purports to be "scientific".
    As you weren't at the meeting and, therefore, not in a position to see these excellent ladies playfully wiggle and waggle in their skintight white tops in front of the many cameras that were there, I'll forgive you for implying that I'm a liar.

128007.jpg

Robin, if you are as wrong in your assessment of their 'wiggling' behaviour ... as you are about the enormity of their breasts ... then I have a good basis for not believing anything you say about these women ... which isn't the same as calling you a liar (which would imply that you are deliberately telling untruths).

Let's just say, Robin, that your hormones seem to have got the better of you on the night!!! :(

... but that isn't a valid excuse for leering at these women .. or making overtly mysogenistic remarks about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

as you are about the enormity of their breasts ...

That word doesn't mean what you think it does.

• Advertisement

Robin, if you are as wrong in your assessment of their 'wiggling' behaviour ... as you are about the enormity of their breasts
    Enormity?

I entirely agree -- those four breasts, elegantly disported for all to admire, were truly wicked!

... but that isn't a valid excuse for leering at these women .. or making overtly mysogenistic remarks about them.
    It's pretty obvious why they had "Charles Darwin" there, as it is the Gorilla.

I also think it's safe to assume that the girls were hired as eye-candy, unless, JC, you can offer some other suggestion as to why they were there?

And given that their job was to be eye-candy, I'd imagine they would be rather amused to find someone defending their virtue on the Internet. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Enormity?

I entirely agree -- those four breasts, elegantly disported for all to admire, were truly wicked!

It can mean what ever he wants it to mean. Hav'nt you been following this thread?

mackerski wrote: »
    That word doesn't mean what you think it does.
    When it comes to Evolution and Evolutionism, I find that many words don't mean what anybody would think they do!!!!:eek:

... as well as subverting science ... Evolutionism ... is also perverting the English language ... with 'weasel' words and arguments that continuously 'morph' ... depending on circumstances ... like some kind of linguistic 'Chameleon'!!!:eek:

It's pretty obvious why they had "Charles Darwin" there, as it is the Gorilla.

I also think it's safe to assume that the girls were hired as eye-candy, unless, JC, you can offer some other suggestion as to why they were there?

And given that their job was to be eye-candy, I'd imagine they would be rather amused to find someone defending their virtue on the Internet. :p
    Gender Balance perhaps?

Why do you dismiss these glamourous competent women as 'eye candy'?

They were doing a job, Dades ... and doing it very well ... and professionally.

A T-shirt and a pair of jeans are ordinary street clothes (for both men and women) ... for the past forty years!!!

What did you want them to turn up in? ... a dirty wet raincoat ... like Robin seems to have metaphorically turned up in???:eek:

Gender Balance perhaps?
    We both know that's rubbish so lets be adult here.
    Why do you dismiss these glamourous competent women as 'eye candy'?
    Because that's exactly what they were paid to be there for. Unless you can come up with another reason a little less spurious than the above.
    They were doing a job, Dades ... and doing it very well ... and professionally.
    I agree. :)

Enormity?

... so now we have puritanism ... on top of mysogenism!!!

Freud would have a 'field-day' analysing the 'murky depths' of your mind!!!!!

We both know that's rubbish so lets be adult here.

Because that's exactly what they were paid to be there for. Unless you can come up with another reason a little less spurious than the above.

I agree. :)
    A T-shirt and a pair of jeans are ordinary street clothes (for both men and women) ... for the past forty years!!!

What did you want these women to turn up in?

The idea was presumably to advertise the book ... with slogans on their T-Shirts ... so are you saying that evey soccer player is some kind of 'eye candy' for wearing a shirt advertising some commercial organisation?

This is ordinary modern PR and marketing in action guys ... what rock have you all been hiding under?

Do you leer at women (and men) working in your local supermarket if they happen to be wearing a t-shirt with a slogan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

What did you want these women to turn up in?

The idea was presumably to adverise the book ... with slogans on their T-Shirts ... so are you saying that evey soccer player is some kind of 'eye candy' for wearing a shirt advertising some commercial organisation?

This is ordinary modern PR and marketing in action guys ... what rock have you all been hiding under?

Do you leer at women (and men) working in your local supermarket if they happen to be wearing a t-shirt with a slogan?

stop bolding words its irritating as all ****

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you leer at women working in your local supermarket if they happen to be wearing a t-shirt

If they're hot? Well.... yeah, although I wouldn't call it leering.

I'd even have sex with them without being married!! :eek:

I might even use a condom:eek::eek:

BOLD WORDS:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement