Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Wibbs wrote: »
    Simple question JC; why would god tell us one thing about a flood, but at the same time create all the evidence out there that would at the very least cause us to question such things? That the more we actually looked the more his evidence dwindled to nothing? That makes no sense. Surely it would be as clear as day that there was one inundation and one ecosystem that was tagged for survival and contrary to your take there really really, did I mention really isn't.. Actually I beg another question. Why did Noah leave all the dinosaurs and mammoths and Neandertals and dire wolves out of the ark? After all he was asked to take all the animals of the world. Seems a bit remiss of him to miss a diplodocus, yet let a lemur on board? Was the diplodocus in some way evil, so could not be saved?
    There is plenty of evidence out there for the global flood ... practically all fossils were petrified by the flood processes!!!!
    ... we have billons of dead things fossilised in rock layers that were laid down by water all over the Earth.

Representatives of Dinosaur and Elephant Kinds were saved on the Ark, probably as juveniles ... and therefore Dinosaurs and Mammoths died out after the Flood - with mammoths dying out quite recenty indeed.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_the_mammoths_die_out

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Dinosaur kind?

So you're saying that one kind mutated so that it had aquatic, amphibian, flying and land dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes?

And where are you getting this list of kinds from? It's sounds suspiciously like you're just making it up as you go along.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

10925963.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

J C wrote: »
    There is plenty of evidence out there for the global flood ...
    There is significantly more evidence for more than one event. Many millions more events. So that doesn't answer the question. Namely why did a god not leave a clear sign(s) of just one geological event. OK answer this; how come we see all over the world these "flood" layers bent and pushed around and with inclusions of other events through them? It simply can't have been one event.
    practically all fossils were petrified by the flood processes!!!!
    ... we have billons of dead things fossilised in rock layers that were laid down by water all over the Earth.
    Nope. Incorrect again. Some have been laid down without water being involved, certainly no flood water. Flood deposits where they exist are quite distinctive.
    Representatives of Dinosaur and Elephant Kinds were saved on the Ark, probably as juveniles ... and therefore Dinosaurs and Mammoths died out after the Flood - with mammoths dying out quite recenty indeed.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_the_mammoths_die_out
    Still further back than biblical chronology, but we'll leave that one. What about all the ancient sea creatures? They'd have no need of Noah or any animal saviour. They'd just keep on swimming in an enlarged ocean. One would expect them to increase, yet as I pointed out before the vast majority of extinct animals and plants are marine in nature. If a global flood happened, then that ratio would be completely reversed and it's not.

You still haven't explained how this ark of yours could be built in Bronze age times, nor how could it contain all the animals of today. Actually forget the animals, what about the plants? They would have been killed by floods. What about the insects? They outnumber all animals by a goodly margin. How did Noah save all of them?

Then we get to all those ancient humans. You still haven't commented on those and their meat eating habits, long before we came up with farming.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You're wasting your time Wibbs. J C makes up his evidence as he goes along and rejects scientifically validated finds. It's a pointless, retrograde exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, but if you ignore the bits where J C makes himself look really stupid*, there's actually a fascinating array of useful information in here. Just look at oldrnwisr's recent posts.

*Yes, I know, that's probably every post he's made in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sarky wrote: »
    Yes, but if you ignore the bits where J C makes himself look really stupid*, there's actually a fascinating array of useful information in here. Just look at oldrnwisr's recent posts.

*Yes, I know, that's probably every post he's made in this thread.

I agree. His posts made this entire thing worthwhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Useful information ---
    1. For a christian, it is Christianity
    2. For a Jew, It is Judaism
    3. For a muslim, It is Islam
    4. For a hindu, it is hinduism
    and at last for an atheist, useful information is that information which matches his/her creed of no God --- Atheists finds it very useful information, which explains beginning of everything without God ----

Ah! human being are disgusting things -- You prefer that information which explains beginning of everything without of God ---- He prefers that information which explains beginning of every thing with God
    J C makes himself look really stupid*
    JC isn't stupid, He is doing the same job which you are doing --- what's the difference -- You think yourself as torch bearer of truth, he thinks himself --- You don't want to believe what he prefer to believe, he doesn't want to believe what you prefer to believe --- End of story
    wasted life -- wasted time --- may be I'll see all of you --- wait for end --- Dead_one :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dead one wrote: »
    Useful information ---
    and at last for an atheist, useful information is that information which matches his/her creed of no God --- Atheists finds it very useful information, which explains beginning of everything without God ----
    Not quite. The information written by atheists on this thread would find agreement with a large proportion of Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus. Including religious leaders in those faiths. Most Muslims have no problem with either evolution or the big bang theory, indeed claim such things are mentioned in the Quran. It would be a pretty small subsection of Christians/Muslims/Jews that would hold as extreme an opinion as JC and his ilk.

Ah! human being are disgusting things -- You prefer that information which explains beginning of everything without of God ---- He prefers that information which explains beginning of every thing with God
    Not quite yet again. 1) Human's are hardly disgusting, but anyway... 2) humans generally prefer information that they can see and test. 3) evolution/big bang cosmology doesn't necessarily preclude a deity/"external" force that started it all off. Quite a number of Theists welcomed the idea of the big bang because it suggested the universe had a start and "came from nothing", a steady state universe required no such creation. However it makes it less likely that it's one of the creator deities of the major religions as they're described.
    JC isn't stupid, He is doing the same job which you are doing --- what's the difference -- You think yourself as torch bearer of truth, he thinks himself --- You don't want to believe what he prefer to believe, he doesn't want to believe what you prefer to believe --- End of story
    Three for three and not quite again. The major difference is that every atheist/agnostic on this thread would change their minds 100% if new clear evidence came to light of Noah's flood or any other story of the religious books. JC and similar religious people never change their minds, regardless of evidence or even what their own two eyes tell them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I never said J C was stupid dead one. Only that he makes himself look stupid. Sure, I've called him a liar, a coward, a fraud and so misinformed and willfully ignorant he could be in the Guinness book of world records, and so terrified of reality that he will stoop to almost any depth to avoid facing it. We have a thread full of evidence to those claims. Every argument he makes was shot down years before this thread even existed.

But not stupid. He does that to himself. And if you're worried about him appearing to be stupid, you should join us in calling for him to point out the flaws in a paper we showed him months ago that explains why the cfsi argument he keeps making has no value.

• Advertisement

Most Muslims have no problem with either evolution indeed claim such things are mentioned in the Quran.
    right, quran supports evolution as general development of life into stages but see God's power behind this --- as quran supports evolution, it means you have no problem with its theory of creation -- Keeping your above claims in minds --- please answer
    1. According to quran human are considered as a special act of creation.
    Do you agree with above quranic claim if not then please explain how above claim is in line with evolution as you said
    Originally Posted by Wibbs viewpost.gif
    indeed claim such things are mentioned in the Quran.
    I never said J C was stupid dead one. Only that he makes himself look stupid.
    What do you mean, he looks stupid, when he explains things in context of God --- Obviously, he looks like stupid, as his useful information doesn't match with yours ---
    Sure, I've called him a liar, a coward, a fraud and so misinformed and willfully ignorant he could be in the Guinness book of world records,
    Do you think, he is a liar, He isn't liar at all -- His lies contain that truth which you don't prefer to believe--- Similarly -- JC could think, you are liar, as your lies contain truth which he doesn't want to accept -- You both parties aren't liar, coward, fraud at all --- Because you have accepted something thinking it as truth and you see every information in context of that truth ---

Do you agree with above quranic claim if not then please explain how above claim is in line with evolution as you said

You might want to understand what evolution is before you ask how it does/doesn't contradict your holy texts ;)

J C's information ISN'T useful. Every single thing he has posted here has been shown multiple times to be incorrect. Indisputably. Completely. No room for argument. It's all here in this thread. That one paper alone he's been avoiding for months blows 90% of his "information" clean out of the water. Useful information needs to be backed up with supporting evidence that holds up to scrutiny. J C has never done that. In all his thousands of posts, not even once.

He is wrong, and he chooses to remain wrong in the face of all the evidence we have provided. He knows damn well he's wrong, but keeps posting things that are wrong. If that doesn't appear stupid or lying to you then I would be very amused.

koth wrote: »
    You might want to understand what evolution is before you ask how it does/doesn't contradict your holy texts ;)
    You have made my day --- That is my point to claims of wibbs
    Originally Posted by Wibbs viewpost.gif
    indeed claim such things are mentioned in the Quran.
    Well done, ;)
    Originally Posted by koth View Post
    You might want to understand what evolution is before you ask how it does/doesn't contradict your holy texts
    I could have done this by myself, But I leave it and you've done all this ---- are you not happy?
    How you are feeling koth to betray your own kind--- You willfully exposed Wibbs's ignorance about evolution ---

Clearly you don't understand the point Wibbs was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

J C's information ISN'T useful.

interestingly, it's also not complex, specific or functional.

right, quran supports evolution as general development of life into stages but see God's power behind this --- as quran supports evolution, it means you have no problem with its theory of creation -- Keeping your above claims in minds --- please answer
    Eh no. As koth said you're missing my point by a country mile. In any case I said they claim there's evidence in the Quran of evolution. There isn't. Neither is there evidence of "scientific" knowledge. Well not beyond common or garden imported contemporaneous Greek thoughts on anatomy(especially Galen), zoology and astronomy.
    LIke I said they claim evolution is in the Quran. It's not, so your question is moot.

What do you mean, he looks stupid, when he explains things in context of God --- Obviously, he looks like stupid, as his useful information doesn't match with yours ---
    His useful information doesn't match with observable reality.
    Do you think, he is a liar, He isn't liar at all -- His lies contain that truth which you don't prefer to believe--- Similarly -- JC could think, you are liar, as your lies contain truth which he doesn't want to accept -- You both parties aren't liar, coward, fraud at all --- Because you have accepted something thinking it as truth and you see every information in context of that truth ---
    gain the major difference is that if JC or any other religious type showed actual evidence that any of this was true, then more people would believe it. The problem is they can't. Simple as that.

Now they do try to trot out "evidence", there's even a creationist museum in the US, but that crap only goes down with indoctrinated from birth, slack jawed yokels with barely a hint of an education in science. Parts of the US and other parts of the world have a lot of these scientifically ignorant people. We can berate our education system here in Ireland, but compared to a lot of the US it's of a far higher standard in the sciences. Sad really as America had one of the best education systems in the world at one point* and still has at college level, but basic education? *shudder*

*I was going to mention their education system put men on the moon, but I forgot you don't believe in that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

*I was going to mention their education system put men on the moon, but I forgot you don't believe in that either.

It put men in space at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

their education system put men on the moon
    The ghost of Wernher von Braun would beg to disagree.

Clearly you don't understand the point Wibbs was making.
    Clearly you don't understand what he said,has got nothing to do with reality --- The point, which Wibbs has raised, is making him more dishonest/ignorant --- As he believes in those muslims whose claims are not mentioned in quran--- It means, he is saying, majority of muslims are ignorant about Quran --- Which is impossible --- Where are such muslims in reality --- Do they exist in any Part of World --- or wibbs create these muslims only to torch which he prefers to believe --
    Not quite. The information written by atheists on this thread would find agreement with a large proportion of Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus. Including religious leaders in those faiths. Most Muslims have no problem with either evolution or the big bang theory, indeed claim such things are mentioned in the Quran. It would be a pretty small subsection of Christians/Muslims/Jews that would hold as extreme an opinion as JC and his ilk.
    If you read this information presented by good lord Wibbs -- He is making majority of Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus as ignorant about evolution and their religious book as well --- no christians, jew or muslim would agree on beginning of everything without God ---
    and he has proved my point which i have raised
    Useful information ---
    and at last for an atheist, useful information is that information which matches his/her creed of no God --- Atheists finds it very useful information, which explains beginning of everything without God --

• Advertisement

Eh no. As koth said you're missing my point by a country mile. In any case I said they claim there's evidence in the Quran of evolution.
    You see bold "they" -- It was missing in your previous post -- So don't blame me --- Even, what their claims have got to do with Quran as quran doesn't support their claims -- Quran supports idea of general evolution, God developed life into stages, There is God's powers behind this evolution --- I think you are talking about such claims --- Majority of Muslims don't support materlistic evolution which promotes creed of no God
    LIke I said they claim evolution is in the Quran. It's not, so your question is moot.
    If you omit "they" from your post --- "LIke I said claim evolution is in the Quran".--- Then my question isn't moot
    His useful information doesn't match with observable reality.
    Every useful information has some observable reality --
    In case of Christian, observable reality is Christianity
    In case of Jew, Observable reality is Judaism
    In case of Muslim,
    Observable reality is Islam
    In case of Atheist, prism which observes reality is atheism with creed of no God ---
    here,I am neutral person , So your claim or Sarky's claim has no weight as you see reality with different prism and JC sees reality with a different prism -- You both have to respect each prism which observes reality -- No one can blame your colorful prism which observes reality with different shades --- You can't blame JC's prism -- Oh, and i've got no prism to see this imaginary reality --- a reality which puts spot of greed/hate on prism of life--- You all are fighting for one cause -- each one is a kid, each one is fighting for his prism which observes true shades of reality ---
    gain the major difference is that if JC or any other religious type showed actual evidence that any of this was true, then more people would believe it. The problem is they can't. Simple as that.
    See, i tell you, it's very hard to change the religion of a person, It is difficult for many human to give up to the creed in which they were born; to accept that their fathers were utterly mistaken, and what they prefer to believe isn't because of evidence --- They need no evidence to believe what they prefer to believe --- Evidence is just and excuse to torch what they prefer to believe---
    No one knows your moon and no knows your man ---

If you read this information presented by good lord Wibbs -- He is making majority of Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus as ignorant about evolution and their religious book as well --- no christians, jew or muslim would agree on beginning of everything without God ---
    I never said they would. However you're insisting on evolution=atheism. It's not nearly that theologically simple, nor is it an either/or black and white theological debate. Only theological literalists like JC see is as black and white. Theism can happily co exist with the theory of evolution. Ask the Catholic church. (or Muslim theology http://www.parvez-video.com/insight/islam/evolution_quran/index.asp) The difference between theists and atheists is that the former believe it was created by and driven by a god.

Every useful information has some observable reality --
    In case of Christian, observable reality is Christianity
    In case of Jew, Observable reality is Judaism
    In case of Muslim,
    Observable reality is Islam
    No they simply don't. Literalist Judaism/Christianity/Islam believes there was a worldwide flood and one man and his family saved every single land animal and plant and repopulated the earth. There is no basis in observable reality that supports this. Observable reality shows a very different story of the history of this planet. Atheist or not.

See, i tell you, it's very hard to change the religion of a person, It is difficult for many human to give up to the creed in which they were born; to accept that their fathers were utterly mistaken, and what they prefer to believe isn't because of evidence --- They need no evidence to believe what they prefer to believe --- Evidence is just and excuse to torch what they prefer to believe---
    There is if they open their eyes.
    No one knows your moon and no knows your man ---
    Yea we kinda do and we're learning more each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

And where are you getting this list of kinds from? It's sounds suspiciously like you're just making it up as you go along.

Well I wouldn't say that JC is making it all up. He's just repeating what other creationists are saying. They're the ones making it up as they go along.

I've managed to find a list of at least some solid kinds from the Creation Wiki:

Felidae
    Canidae
    Camelidae
    Bovidae
    Equidae
    Caprinae
    Crocodilia
    Elephantidae
    Humanity

For comparative purposes here are the equivalent Wikipedia pages:

Felidae
    Canidae
    Camelidae
    Bovidae
    Equidae
    Caprinae
    Crocodilia
    Elephantidae
    Humanity

There are multiple problems with the list on the Creation Wiki.

1. Definition of kind

The first point is that there doesn't seem to be any creationist out there who is willing to define the term kind in a consistent way. Henry Morris, founder of ICR, states:

"It will probably be found eventually that the min [Hebrew word for kind] often is identical to the "species," sometimes the "genus," and possibly once in a while with the "family"."

Indeed Morris' loose terminology is supported by others such as Russell Mixter who says:

"One should not insist that "kind" means species. The word "kind" as used in the Bible may apply to any animal which may be distinguished in any way from another, or it may be applied to a large group of species distinguishable from another group ... there is plenty of room for differences of opinion on what are the kinds of Genesis."

This highlights the fundamental dishonesty of the creationist position. They openly acknowledge that the definition of kind is based not on solid evidence but on whatever most suits their motives at a particular time.

2. Biblical interpretation of kinds

It should also be pointed out that the word "kind" in the Bible carries no indication of specificity. The word kind in Hebrew is:

מִין

which is almost identical to the Hebrew word min, meaning from:

מִן

Biblical linguists suggest that the word kind is approximate to the word species. Species, of course, derives from the equally general word specere, meaning to see or to behold. The original use of the word species simply meant a group, same as kind.

The difference is that the development in biology in the 450 years since the word appeared in the English language has allowed us to narrow the definition of species. Creationists, however, haven't managed to do the same.

Furthermore, the adherence of creationists to the idea of the word kind in Genesis as a barrier to variation is weakened by the bible itself. The word kind is again used in Leviticus when establishing dietary laws. In particular:

"These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat." Leviticus 11:13-17.

An analysis of the Hebrew text shows the same textual form of kind, namely:
    לְמִינֵ֔הוּ

(lə·mî·nê·hū)

used in both Genesis and Leviticus. Additionally, the structure of the text in Leviticus suggests that the little owl, cormorant, great owl etc. are listed so as to be examples of the hawk kind, something not supported by even the loosest creationist definition.

3. Membership criteria of a kind

When it comes to establishing a predictive framework for associating species with "created kinds", the wiki provides just one criterion:

"In the absence of the ability to directly observe life in its original form, classification of kinds generally revolves around reproductive compatibility -- that is, created kinds are generally seen as having common descent if they are reproductively compatible. Thus, humans and frogs are considered to be different kinds because they are not reproductively compatible at all, while the African and European races are considered to be clearly of the same kind, because they are totally reproductively compatible."

This at least echoes what JC has previously claimed:
    J C wrote: »
    The definitive test for a Created Kind is the ability to cross-breed or cross-breed with an intermediary within a Kind.

The problem with this definition is that it is undermined by the list of kinds previously given. For example, the dog kind is listed by the creation wiki as approximate to the family Canidae. The problem with this interpretation is that it contradicts the idea of reproductive compatibility. This can be seen in the compatibility table here. Since there is no possbility of a dingo-fox or coyote-fox hybrid and since there is no data concerning dhole hybrids, there is no basis for assigning them to the same group, at least not based on the sole criterion above.

Indeed, a further problem with the inclusion of Canidae on the above list of created kinds is the fact that the wiki includes the entire canidae family while JC claims a narrower definition closer to the genus Canus. However, both groups cite the same basis for their claim and neither provide any research to support their assertions.

Another problem with this definition is that it, like any other creationist term, is not applied consistently. For example, the list of kinds above is, for the most part, equivalent to the biological classification family. However, the human kind is limited to the Homo genus. This, is not because of reproductive compatibility, however, but rather because this is the way it is described in the bible. This is openly acknowledged by some creationists including Wayne Frair who comments:

"Scripture claims (used in baraminology but not in discontinuity systematics). This has priority over all other considerations. For example humans are a separate holobaramin because they separately were created (Genesis 1 and 2)."

4. Hybrids

A significant divergence between standard biological classifications and creationist baraminology is the increased status afforded to hybrid organisms. One of the most widely held definitions of species is that two groups are considered to be separate species when they can no longer reproduce successfully. Successfully in this context means that the offspring of such hybrids are viable, fertile and widespread.

Creationists, naturally, are nowhere near as rigorous in their definitions and consider any hybrid animal to be evidence of shared kinds. Unfortunately, this is where the creationist position also falls apart. If all hybrids are to be considered when determining kinds then interfamilal hybrids such as this chicken-guineafowl hybrid (on the left):

300px-Guinea-hybrids.jpg

create a problem that the current creationist definitions of kinds fail to explain.

5. Further inconsistencies

Something else that crops up in the creationist use of kinds is that inconsistency creeps in at every level because the term kind is an ad-hoc unsupported classification.

One example of this is the inclusion on the list of kinds above of both Bovidae and Caprinae, which is odd given that Caprinae is a subfamily of Bovidae. Yet neither the Bovidae nor Caprinae pages offer any explanation why both groups are listed separately nor any other reference to this glaring error.

The creationist use of the term kind is unscientific, inconsistent, dishonest and unsupported by any peer-reviewed research. There is no classification of significance in biology beyond species and creationists have yet to present any serious challenge to the established body of research.

I'm calling it now- If J C ever even acknowledges the above post, all his arguments will consist of something similar to "No, that's wrong", with no supporting evidence.

But he'll probably pretend that oldrnwisr never made the post, and continue on spouting the same old long-debunked drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I love oldrnwisr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You see the problem with creationist is they cite scripture. They take this book as if its really what happened. Its not it is contradictory nonsense written by people who didnt know any better. You might aswell cite the illiad or the odessey as fact if your going to believe the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

that oldrnwisr post deserves more than a 'thanks'
    epic.
    crushing too.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I love oldrnwisr.
    Get a room you un Christian perverts. :D

Though I have to say looking through the creation wiki external links on Hominids, in particular Neandertals, the creationist Dr. Jack Cuozzo( I think the chap is a dentist?) has an interesting and involved take on their dentition and the conclusions from same. It's got feck all to do with Biblical "science" mind, but as actual science he does raise interesting questions on a few points. I'd not go within an asses roar of some of his conclusions, but like I said interesting secondary views on this. Science is science and if a dog told me the sky was blue* I'd be thinking two things, 1) Fcuk me a talking dog, where's the number for the circus? :D And 2) Fcuk me, I hadn't fully considered that and he may be right.

I'd certainly agree(along with Dr Alan Walker, a really well respected man in this field and a great mind to boot) that with hominid reconstruction, it can be and is all too often a subjective "political" reconstruction going on. It's certainly led by fashion that's for sure. With Neandertals, we've gone from bent over apemen(because of a fcukup with identifying an elderly and diseased chap as the type specimen) to the recent view of "oh they're sooo like us, just put them in jeans and a tee and they'd fit right in you know". This goes back and forth. The reality is most likely somewhere in the middle.

*not always a foregone conclusion. Many ancient Greek observers named it's colour as bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

*not always a foregone conclusion. Many ancient Greek observers named it's colour as bronze.

I've heard this before, and found myself wondering if they weren't just talking about sunrise/sunset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I've heard this before, and found myself wondering if they weren't just talking about sunrise/sunset.
    Well, Homer mentioned the "wine-dark sea" many times which doesn't make much sense unless the Greeks were drinking bright or dark blue wine.

It does raise an interesting point about variability in the perception of colors, sounds (animal sounds are notoriously country-specific) and so on. I don't recall the Romans having a word for 'gray' and I think it was Virgil who described people's facial expressions in the extremes of fear, humor etc but they weren't doing quite what we'd expect them to do.

Not to mention tastes in food and I'm thinking here of stuff like the hellish Indonesian durian (generally banned indoors) the dreadful Irish collared head, the and the truly inexplicable Swedish surströmming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement