Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

What a bunch of chickens!

Why couldn't the thread have been left stand by itself?

I can only assume that this was moved because your strongly held beliefs were being challenged in a fairly reasoned and logical manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    What about that guy that went around cutting off their hair and beards and locked one of them in a chicken coop?

Point dodging again are we J C?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yes I also hate Mike Tyson as he's a woman beater. I guess I hate all black people now too, darn!

That's sarcasm by the way.
    You need to stop hating people ... and start loving them irrespective of their sin.
    If you must hate ... please hate the sin ... and love and forgive the sinner.

I have said already I'm tolerant of any belief until it impacts on other's rights. Amish children have a right to choose the life they want to live and their parents, rather than giving them as many options as possible enforce one on them.
    What you are saying is that you are tolerant of any belief that co-incides with your own ... which requires no tolerance at all!!!
    All beliefs impact on other people's rights. The whinging Atheist who objects to other people praying in his/her presence or wearing religious symbols, is also trying to interfere with other people's rights to publicly proclaim their religious beliefs (with little practical impact on the Atheist).

Nobody is stopping Amish children from believing anything they want, after they reach the age of majority ... and if you go down the route that you are promoting, you may find that it will be you who will lose your children, because somebody else decides that you aren't allowing your children to choose to believe what they 'should' believe ... or do you think that such laws will only apply to Christians.

Your outburst of 'hate' (against the Amish) on this thread, for example, could easily be used by a totalitarian regime to have you declared to be an 'unfit' parent, if the mind-control legislation, that you are proposing, is ever enacted.
    It's known as being 'hoist on your own petard' ... and it often happens to busybodies, who are too busy pointing out the speck in other peoples eyes to see the great planks in their own!!!! :(:(
    You seem to share their beliefs that you have some "god given" right to manipulate the information a person receives because you played a part in creating them. That I can't accept or tolerate.
    I have the God-given (and constitutionally guaranteed) authority to protect the moral, spiritual and physical welfare of my children from people or institutions that could compromise their welfare ... and no force in Hell or on Earth can legally remove this from me.
    Until you can see the difference and publicly take back the statement above I won't be replying to you as there is little point when you misunderstand the foundation of my argument.
    I understand your argument all too well ... you want to have the right to legally enforce the indoctrination of my children with Atheism and all kinds of Nihilism in school and on the mass media ... while simultaneously legally precluding me from teaching the Christian Faith to my children and any other person who might ask me to share my Faith with them.
    What you are proposing is too outrageous for words ... and is a direct attack on the transmission of the Christian Faith !!!

Point dodging again are we J C?
    What exactly is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

mickrock wrote: »
    Why couldn't the thread have been left stand by itself?

Because it is wasteful to have two threads discussing the exact same topic.
    I can only assume that this was moved because your strongly held beliefs were being challenged in a fairly reasoned and logical manner.

There was nothing logical or reasoned about your proposition.

• Advertisement

J C wrote: »
    What exactly is your point?

You said the Amish have no enemies except Satan. However the recent case of Samuel Mullet shows otherwise (I should have been more specific in my initial post on the matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Satan ... and his minions!!!

Hahaha, what?

I just realised the consequences of the thread merge. It means I have recent posts in this thread.

*feels dirty*

Yes, do appreciate the irony of me posting in here again to state that, so don't bother pointing it out.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Hahaha, what?

It's simple really, if good stuff happens it's thanks to God. If bad stuff happens it was the boogeyman devil.

no-no-no-santas-minions-demotivational-poster-1264452895.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yes I also hate Mike Tyson as he's a woman beater. I guess I hate all black people now too, darn!

That's sarcasm by the way.

_________

I have said already I'm tolerant of any belief until it impacts on other's rights. Amish children have a right to choose the life they want to live and their parents, rather than giving them as many options as possible enforce one on them. You seem to share their beliefs that you have some "god given" right to manipulate the information a person receives because you played a part in creating them. That I can't accept or tolerate.
    Until you can see the difference and publicly take back the statement above I won't be replying to you as there is little point when you misunderstand the foundation of my argument.

And we're done here. Unsubscribes. Life too short and all that.

• Advertisement

And we're done here. Unsubscribes. Life too short and all that.
    I have found that whenever Atheist ideas (on any issue) are scrutinised by a Christian, the result is always the same ... the atheist's ideas are found to be invalid ... and the Atheist often leaves in a huff!!!:eek:

That must be why Atheists want their ideas ... and their ideas only, to be thought in school ... because they cannot stand up to close scrutiny or comparison with Christian ideas!!!:eek:

The weakness of Atheism is best seen in America, where all other faiths have been banned from Public Schools for over 40 years ... and 'wall to wall' materialism is taught ...
    ... yet the Christian Faith has never been stronger amongst the 'graduates' of the public school system.

... its almost like the more exposure that young people have to materialism the more they reject it!!!:eek:

... but of course, the 'grand plan' now seems to be to ban the teaching of Christianity to young people everywhere ... in homes and churches as well as schools ... by proscribing it as a form of 'psychological child abuse'!!!!:eek:
    ... and if we go that far ... the next logical move, would be to ban Christianity altogether ... as a form of 'thought crime' !!!

It's simple really, if good stuff happens it's thanks to God. If bad stuff happens it was the boogeyman devil.
    Got it in one ... but don't forget that the other agents with free-will, (Humans themselves) are also capable of bad stuff ... as well !!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Atheism means a lack of a belief in a god, by posting this on a forum on atheism, you indicate that it's a godlike being.

What do you consider to be a god-like being?
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    The entire theory of ID is used as a method to legitimise creationism and to make it appear as if it is scientifically correct but there is no evidence of it actually being true. There is no peer reviewed articles in scientific journals that supports it. You keep assuming that the scientific community is rejecting a legitimate claim however this is entirely untrue. You don't seem to understand that you need actually evidence that is supportive of intelligent design when there has yet to be any shown.

There's no evidence that abiogenesis is true but that doesn't stop you believing in it.

why do you keep saying this even though youve been corrected?

you are arguing that abiogenisis happened by intelligent design. science says theres no need. abiogenisis. the study of the origin of life. its not a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I have found that whenever baseless superstitious ideas are scrutinised by any right thinking person, the result is always the same ... the emotionally invested believer's ideas are found to be illogical and/or disgustingly immoral... and the zealot then stays in inane argumentative stubbornness and regurgitates meaningless rhetoric, emotional appeals, outright lies and fallacies and ignores rebuttals!!!:eek:

FYP

wrote:
    Supposedly Originally Posted by J C
    I have found that whenever baseless superstitious ideas are scrutinised by any right thinking person, the result is always the same ... the emotionally invested believer's ideas are found to be illogical and/or disgustingly immoral... and the zealot then stays in inane argumentative stubbornness and regurgitates meaningless rhetoric, emotional appeals, outright lies and fallacies and ignores rebuttals!!!

Stercus Accidit
    FYP
    Even though I didn't write the words that you have attributed to me, above ... I think that they are very true, when applied to the believers in the superstition, that there is no God, on this thread !!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have found that whenever Atheist ideas (on any issue) are scrutinised by a Christian, the result is always the same ... the atheist's ideas are found to be invalid ... and the Atheist often leaves in a huff!!!:eek:

I think you got your ideas a bit arseways. Christianity is based entirely on myths and superstition and always fails to stand up to rational scrutiny.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think you got your ideas a bit arseways. Christianity is based entirely on myths and superstition and always fails to stand up to rational scrutiny.
    That's your opinion ... and you're quite entitled to hold it and to promote it, if you so wish.
    I am equally entitled to hold the opposite opinion ... and to freely express this opinion ... as well as having my children taught it.

... the scientific support for existence of God is already amply covered in the 'Origins of Specious Nonesense' thread on this forum.

That's your opinion ... and you're quite entitled to hold it and to promote it, if you so wish.
    I am equally entitled to hold the opposite opinion ... and to freely express this opinion ... as well as having my children taught it.

... the scientific support for existence of God is already amply covered in the 'Origins of Specious Nonesense' thread on this forum.

There is no evidence for the existence of god. Why would you subject your children to nonsense like creationism/ID?

wrote:
    Originally Posted by mickrock
    Everything ultimately has a prime cause.

robindch
    Who designed the intelligent designer?
    God was the Prime Cause ... of everything ... and He therefore didn't require a designer Himself.:)

yawha wrote: »
    Where could this intelligence come from? Who designed and created this creator/designer?
    That is a very good question ... that remains un-answered by science ... but is answered by the Bible.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76208668&postcount=6956

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    I could conceive of a 'God particle' that remains to be discovered that permeates the universe but I cannot attribute a creative intelligence to such a force. If there was to be such a force, it would be intrinsic to the universe and as such subserviant to the laws of the universe.
    You forget that God is Transcendent ... i.e. outside of the Physical Universe but able to act within it.

From what I've seen through our brief and ending interaction it would shock me if you didn't find something you wanted to.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There is no evidence for the existence of god. Why would you subject your children to nonsense like creationism/ID?
    ... it is a refreshing break from the nonesense that is Materialistic Evolution ... for them to see the scientific evidence for their Creation!!!!:)

Have a look at the Origins and Specious Nonesense thread for further study!!!:)

From what I've seen through our brief and ending interaction it would shock me if you didn't find something you wanted to.
    Don't go ... you're great craic!!!:rolleyes:;)

... it is a refreshing break from the nonesense that is Materialistic Evolution ... for them to see the scientific evidence for their Creation!!!!:)

Have a look at the Origins and Specious Nonesense thread for further study!!!:)

There is no evidence for creationism. And "god did it" is not evidence.

Dades wrote: »
    Why does a child need to be raised in a religion to choose it? This is the 21st century. If/when a child/teen/adult decide they want to educate themselves on one or many religions then there are an infinite amount or resources available to them to do so.
    We don't leave children to their own devices ... when it comes to issues of physical safety ... so why are you proposing that we do so, in matters pertaining to their moral and spiritual safety?
    We carefully pass on the best advice we can give our children (from our own experiences and the collective wisdom of others) on many issues ... so why should Faith/religion be any exception to this rule?

Your position also seems to ignore the fact that most parents are motivated by what is best for their children ... and that includes ensuring that their children are given the best moral and spiritual framework for them to live happy and fulfilled lives.

... so do you now share my belief that a liberal education must present all current ideas in society ... and where there are alternate opinions on issues, that both sides of the argument must be fairly presented ... if a child/teen/adult is to be equipped decide on what religion (if any) that they wish to subscribe to in adulthood?

Raising them in any one religion only puts that one religion at a huge advantage due to it's familiarity. Also, if you were going to choose a religion to raise your child in just for the sake of it, a lot of us don't believe the insidious organisation that is the catholic church has done anything to earn themselves that right.
    All very high-minded ... but the fatal flaw in your argument, in my experience, is that Atheists want 'wall to wall' Materialism taught in school ... with all alternate Faith opinions banned by law!!!

... and its quite frankly, a 'cheap shot' to continue 'kicking' the RCC when its clearly 'on the ropes' ... and when there are many decent and honourable people within it's congregation.
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    The Atheists on this forum want only their ideas to be taught by law in school (and this has already occurred in American Public Schools) ... they also want to now go further, with a legal ban on Christians teaching their children their Faith both at home and at school until they are 18 ... on the spurious basis that it would be a form of 'psychological child abuse' to do so.

When I first heard this I really didn't believe it ... but nobody is denying it ... and all Atheist postings are fully supporting it.

Dades
    Hi J C,

Any more spouting of this utter bollocks and I'll delete any more posts of yours in this thread.
    I'm sorry if I am mistaken in what I think the Atheists have said on this thread ... and I would be grateful if you could clarify what they are saying.

So is it now the position of the Atheists on this thread that the beliefs and practices of all Faiths should be respected in schools ... and their beliefs given parity of esteem with Atheistic Ideas on all issues?

... and does Robin now believe that Christian parents should be free to teach their children (of whatever age) the truths of the Christian Faith and the downsides of other beliefs without having to risk arrest under the Criminal Law for 'psychological child abuse'?

Don't go ... you're great craic!!!:rolleyes:;)

Wow you've gone from hating atheists to actively hitting on them :eek::eek::eek: sorry JC you seem like a.. eh.. person but I'm spoken for :cool: and I don't think your god is all too keen on us getting sweaty :o;);):(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So is it now the position of the Atheists on this thread that...
    A first step for you would be to realise atheists don't have a single opinion.

A second step for you would be to return to the "other" thread as frankly I don't think you have much interest in addressing the actual posts made by people on this thread, rather than the things you'd like people to have said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

... it is a refreshing break from the nonesense that is Materialistic Evolution ... for them to see the scientific evidence for their Creation!!!!:) Have a look at the Origins and Specious Nonesense thread for further study!!!:)
    In the last two days, you've been asked twice by PM to keep your discussions of creationism to the specious nonsense thread. You replied to neither message and here you are again posting about creationism outside the specious nonsense thread.

You've been carded for that post and Dades and myself reserve the right to move all future posts of yours to the specious nonsense thread regardless of content, or simply delete them as appropriate.

I sincerely wish you could have made more of an effort and contributed more positively to the range of views welcomed on this forum. Your first few messages last week were great -- why on earth didn't you try to keep up that standard?

• Advertisement

A first step for you would be to realise atheists don't have a single opinion.
    They seem to be 'of one voice' on this thread ... I haven't seen any disagreements amongst them.
    A second step for you would be to return to the "other" thread as frankly I don't think you have much interest in addressing the actual posts made by people on this thread, rather than the things you'd like people to have said.
    I'm deeply interested in what people are saying on this thread ... and I have no wish to misrepresent anything that is being said.
    ... some of the stuff is so shocking (and it takes a lot to shock me) that no comment is needed from me!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement