Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

J C wrote: »

5 - 0 :)
    That might be the score in the land of the retards, however, here in the land of reality the score is somewhat different.

MrP

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

so if Adam and Eve didn't exist at the same time in history, surely that means the bible story you're supporting is a non-starter?

Did Adam reproduce by some form of mitosis?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Creation Scientists don't argue now that Mitochondrial Eve was Eve of the Bible ... although she could have been, she could also be the most recent common female ancestor of the immediate descendents of the people on the Ark (if this woman wasn't Eve). The same applies to Y-chromosome Adam ... he may be the Adam who was Created by God ... or the most recent common male ancestor of Noah and his family (if this man wasn't Adam). With two genetic bottlenecks in the Human population (at Creation and at the Flood) this creates the possibility that Y-chromosome Adam and Mitochondrial Eve may not be Adam and Eve ... but they could be!!!

Wishful thinking. I 'could' win the Euromillions next week, but the chances of doing so (while much better than your theory) - are very slim. While it is true that the 'estimated' age of our most recent common ancestor may deviate as we gain a better understanding, and as science progresses - that does not build a case for both of them coming from a single couple, or 2 people from the biblical tale of the ark.

But hey - if that's the lengths you are willing to go to, to try and convince yourself that the bible is true - then be my guest. But you're not fooling anyone in this thread except yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

MrPudding wrote: »
    That might be the score in the land of the retards, however, here in the land of reality the score is somewhat different.

MrP
    Don't be so hard on yourselves ... most Evolutionists that I know have normal levels of intelligence.

... and it really is 5 - 0 ... and counting!!!:)

Don't be so hard on yourselves ... most Evolutionists that I know have normal levels of intelligence.

And the rest have extremely high levels of intelligence. You on the other hand are the type of person, that reads the first page of a book and makes a conclusion on it - evident by your quote from The Blind Watchmaker in your signature. Anyone who has actually read the book in full understands why your single quote is asinine, so the logical conclusion is you haven't read the book as you lack the intellectual rigour to do so.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Wishful thinking. I 'could' win the Euromillions next week, but the chances of doing so (while much better than your theory) - are very slim. While it is true that the 'estimated' age of our most recent common ancestor may deviate as we gain a better understanding, and as science progresses - that does not build a case for both of them coming from a single couple, or 2 people from the biblical tale of the ark.

But hey - if that's the lengths you are willing to go to, to try and convince yourself that the bible is true - then be my guest. But you're not fooling anyone in this thread except yourself.
    The fact that all Humans are descended from one man and one woman is supportive of Adam and Eve (as the common Father and Mother of Mankind) and it also supports the genetic bottleneck in the human population that occurred after Noah's Flood ... which could also have resulted in a reduction in Mitochondrial and Y-chromosome DNA diversity that could have resulted a only a single surviving male and female common ancestor for all of Mankind, other than Adam or Eve.

Either way, a single Man and a single woman who were the common ancestors of all of Mankind doesn't support the Evolutionist idea that we are descended from Apes ... which would have resulted in the earliest common ancestor of ALL mankind being an Ape ... or even something further back ... because the first 'men' would have had multiple male and female lineages extending back into their Ape ancestry ... and therefore no common single male or female Human ancestor.

Equally, if the two earliest common ancestors didn't live as a couple, as Evolutionists claim ... then the only way that there could be a single male and a single female common ancestor (that weren't a couple) is if there was a worldwide mass-extinction event that resulted in a very small number of closely related people (like Noah's family) surviving, so that the 'bottleneck effect' would be so severe, that they would have one common male ancestor and one common female ancestor. If there was no worldwide Flood or if thousands of people survived all over the Earth, there could be no single common male or common female ancestor for all of Mankind, as again, there would be multiple surviving male and female lineages running in parallel and extending back to the Apes.

6 - 0 :)

You're not even reading the link that you post. It says that "Eve" existed between 50,000 and 60,000 years prior to "Adam". That means that your bible parable isn't applicable to that scenario, because for a start the bible says Eve was created from Adam whereas the link you provided says that they didn't even exist in the same century.

And the rest have extremely high levels of intelligence. You on the other hand are the type of person, that reads the first page of a book and makes a conclusion on it - evident by your quote from The Blind Watchmaker in your signature. Anyone who has actually read the book in full understands why your single quote is asinine, so the logical conclusion is you haven't read the book as you lack the intellectual rigour to do so.
    I accept ... and I have never claimed that the quote is representative of the rest of the book ... but it is a very interesting observation.

koth wrote: »
    You're not even reading the link that you post. It says that "Eve" existed between 50,000 and 60,000 years prior to "Adam". That means that your bible parable isn't applicable to that scenario, because for a start the bible says Eve was created from Adam whereas the link you provided says that they didn't even exist in the same century.
    The reason for the big difference in 'ages' between Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosome Adam is because of the assumed rates of mitochondrial and Y-chromosome mutagenesis ... which are, in turn, based on Evolutionist 'long ages' assumptions.

The reason for the big difference in 'ages' between Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosome Adam is because of the assumed rates of mitochondrial and Y-chromosome mutagenesis ... which are, in turn, based on Evolutionist 'long ages' assumptions.

and what about the following note in the linked page?
    Y-chromosomal Adam is named after the Biblical Adam. This may lead to a misconception that he was the only living male of his times, even though he co-existed with plenty of men around,[6] including his own father who was not the "most recent". However, all his other male contemporaries failed to produce a direct unbroken male line to the present day.

• Advertisement

The fact that all Humans are descended from one man and one woman is supportive of Adam and Eve

No, it simply isn't - especially since there is nothing to suggest that they were a mating pair. And even if they were, it still wouldn't be supportive of the biblical tale of Adam and Eve.

and it also supports the genetic bottleneck in the human population that occurred after Noah's Flood ...

No, I'm afraid it doesn't support that either. These is indeed evidence of a genetic bottleneck in the human population, which is dated back to 70,000 years ago after the Toba super-eruption. Once again, no evidence pointing to the biblical tale of Adam and Eve, or the Ark.
    Either way, a single Man and a single woman who were the common ancestors of all of Mankind doesn't support the Evolutionist idea that we are descended from Apes ...

I don't think you understand the term 'most recent common ancestor'. It is simply the nearest amount of time we can go back to link a population. It doesn't prove, nor disprove that we were descended from apes. But if you want to examine the compelling evidence that humans are directly descended from apes - then there is a huge amount of supporting evidence - from an advancing fossil record, to comparative studies between the entire human and chimp genome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I cant believe hes arguing that noahs ark happened.

I accept ... and I have never claimed that the quote is representative of the rest of the book ... but it is a very interesting observation.

It's not an interesting observation. What is interesting is the chapters that follow where he explains exactly why it is there is no design involved, nor is there any design required. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote Dawkins without any context, or foresight into his conclusion at the end of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The reason for the big difference in 'ages' between Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosome Adam is because of the assumed rates of mitochondrial and Y-chromosome mutagenesis.
    Just like many other genetic analyses, assumptions ... in this case, evolutionary assumptions, play a crucial role. Researcher Dr Krzysztof Cyran of the Silesian University of Technology explains the process as follows:
    “You have to translate the differences between gene sequences into how they evolved in time. And how they evolved in time depends upon the model of evolution that you use. So, for instance, what is the rate of genetic mutation, and is that rate of change uniform in time? And what about the process of random loss of genetic variants, which we call genetic drift?”...

... "Each model has its own assumptions, and each assumption has mathematical implications. To further complicate matters, some of the assumptions are not valid for human populations. For example, some models assume that population size never changes. That is not true for humans, whose population has grown exponentially for at least several thousand generations. Other models assume perfect mixing of genes, meaning that any two humans anywhere in the world have an equal chance of producing offspring."
    You can read more about this here:-
    http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=14646

Creation Scientists don't argue now that Mitochondrial Eve was Eve of the Bible ... although she could have been, she could also be the most recent common female ancestor of the immediate descendents of the people on the Ark (if this woman wasn't Eve). The same applies to Y-chromosome Adam ... he may be the Adam who was Created by God ... or the most recent common male ancestor of Noah and his family (if this man wasn't Adam). With two genetic bottlenecks in the Human population (at Creation and at the Flood) this creates the possibility that Y-chromosome Adam and Mitochondrial Eve may not be Adam and Eve ... but they could be!!!

I'll let AIG take it from here on the difference between Mitochondrial / Y-Chromosome and Nuclear DNA:-

Quote:-
    When we examine people’s mitochondrial DNA today, we find very little diversity. Generally, mitochondrial genes are very similar. That also implies that there has been little time for mutations to occur. The ancestor of our mitochondrial genes, the woman from whom humans inherited their mitochondria, must have lived relatively recently (just how recently is a matter of debate). ...
    ... The story is different when we examine genes in the nucleus, which are passed down from both males and females. We have found a lot of diversity in nuclear genes, and these genes appear to be from men and women who are older than the ancestor of modern mitochondrial genes. Thus, the diversity in our nuclear genes probably came from people who lived before the Flood and passed their diversity down through several different humans on the Ark.

How can different genes in the same person come from different sources? Remember that eight people were on the Ark but only four were women, whom we will assume were not closely related. Right after the Flood, a total of four types of mitochondrial DNA were present among the women of the human population. There were even more types of nuclear DNA among both the males and females. Now imagine how quickly the types of mitochondrial DNA could be lost. If Japheth had one daughter and this daughter did not have any daughters, then the mitochondria of Japheth’s wife would have been lost, but Japheth’s nuclear genes would survive through his sons. In this way, mitochondrial diversity can be lost quickly during a genetic bottleneck, while nuclear diversity can be preserved.
    I actually don't have a clue how science works, or what I'm talking about.

genetic-diversity-large.jpg

Fixed that for you.

The fact that all Humans are descended from one man and one woman is supportive of Adam and Eve (as the common Father and Mother of Mankind) and it also supports the genetic bottleneck in the human population that occurred after Noah's Flood ... which could also have resulted in a reduction in Mitochondrial and Y-chromosome DNA diversity that could have resulted a only a single surviving male and female common ancestor for all of Mankind, other than Adam or Eve.

Either way, a single Man and a single woman who were the common ancestors of all of Mankind doesn't support the Evolutionist idea that we are descended from Apes ... which would have resulted in the earliest common ancestor of ALL mankind being an Ape ... or even something further back ... because the first 'men' would have had multiple male and female lineages extending back into their Ape ancestry ... and therefore no common single male or female Human ancestor.

Equally, if the two earliest common ancestors didn't live as a couple, as Evolutionists claim ... then the only way that there could be a single male and a single female common ancestor (that weren't a couple) is if there was a worldwide mass-extinction event that resulted in a very small number of closely related people (like Noah's family) surviving, so that the 'bottleneck effect' would be so severe, that they would have one common male ancestor and one common female ancestor. If there was no worldwide Flood or if thousands of people survived all over the Earth, there could be no single common male or common female ancestor for all of Mankind, as again, there would be multiple surviving male and female lineages running in parallel and extending back to the Apes.

6 - 0 :)

This post proves you don't even come close to understanding that wikipedia entry you posted.

Edit - And its 27,543,456,338 - 6 Now, just because.

koth wrote: »
    and what about the following note in the linked page?
    I have just shown you why the common male ancestor of all mankind logicaly had to be either Adam ... or somebody who was the common male ancestor of the survivors of a near-extinction event ... the survivors of which were the ancestors of all Humans ... and Noah's Flood is the only plausible candidate for the latter!!!

Fixed that for you.
    ... so you have no answer then ... and all you can do is to go into denial ... and to strike through what I have said!!!

7 - 0 :)

I have just shown you why the common male ancestor of all mankind logicaly had to be either Adam ... or somebody who was the common male ancestor of the survivors of a near-extinction event ... the survivors of which were the ancestors of all Humans ... and Noah's Flood is the only plausible candidate for the latter!!!

Can you explain, in the simplest possible terms, without any of the dancing around the point you seem so fond of, how Noah's flood is the only plausible candidate?

... so you have no answer then ... and all you can do is to go into denial ... and to strike through what I have said!!!

7 - 0 :)

I have no answer?

Yeah you're trolling.

No you haven't. You've displayed a lack of understanding of the source material provided. The material says nothing about the Noah parable, and it also doesn't support the creation myth either.

This would work better if you could provide data to back up your support for the biblical creation myth.

• Advertisement

No, it simply isn't - especially since there is nothing to suggest that they were a mating pair. And even if they were, it still wouldn't be supportive of the biblical tale of Adam and Eve.
    If they were a mating pair, it would certainly be supportive of the existence of Adam and Eve ... the hints are in the names Mitochondrial Eve ... and Y-chromosome Adam.:)
    No, I'm afraid it doesn't support that either. These is indeed evidence of a genetic bottleneck in the human population, which is dated back to 70,000 years ago after the Toba super-eruption. Once again, no evidence pointing to the biblical tale of Adam and Eve, or the Ark.
    The 'Toba super-eruption' wasn't a worldwide event that reduced the Human population down to one family from a single geographcal location (like Noah's Flood did) ... and which would be required if all of Humanity now has one single male and female ancestor.

I don't think you understand the term 'most recent common ancestor'. It is simply the nearest amount of time we can go back to link a population. It doesn't prove, nor disprove that we were descended from apes. But if you want to examine the compelling evidence that humans are directly descended from apes - then there is a huge amount of supporting evidence - from an advancing fossil record, to comparative studies between the entire human and chimp genome.
    It is a fact that the Y-chromosomes of all men show that we're all descended from one man ... and our mitochondrial DNA shows that we are all descended from one woman.
    If we were descended from Apes there would be multiple male and female ancestral lines running right back to the Apes ... and there would therefore not be any common male or female Human ancestors for all of Mankind.

I have no answer?
    A situation that Evolutionists commonly find themselves in ... when it comes to origins issues!!!:)

8 - 0 :)

If they were a mating pair, it would certainly be supportive of the existence of Adam and Eve ... the hints are in the names Mitochondrial Eve ... and Y-chromosome Adam.:)

They weren't a mating pair, your link says as much. And even states that people, like yourself, are prone to making incorrect assumptions about "Adam" and "Eve" due to the names they were given by whoever put forward the hypothesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Super eruptions are global events.

Er, you still don't understand what the 'most recent common ancestor' is, do you?

Can you explain, in the simplest possible terms, without any of the dancing around the point you seem so fond of, how Noah's flood is the only plausible candidate?
    Because it is the only worldwide extinction event, that resulted in only one family of Humans surviving ... and such an acute genetic bottleneck would be a pre-requisite to all Humans having a common male and female ancestor ... the only other way that this would be possible, is if all Humans are descended from one man and one woman.

RichieC wrote: »
    Super eruptions are global events.
    Yea, they can result in extra dust in the atmosphere on the far side of the Earth ... but they don't have the precision that they result in demise of everybody on Earth ... but for just one family!!!!

Because it is the only worldwide extinction event, that resulted in only one family of Humans surviving ... and such an acute genetic bottleneck would be a pre-requisite to all Humans having a common male and female ancestor ... the only other way that this would be possible, is if all Humans are descended from one man and one woman.

It's also the only extinction event in this thread backed up by absolutely no scientific evidence. Do you understand the meaning of the word plausible? Also where are you getting this one family thing from? You've subtly added that in yet it was mentioned nowhere in the link you gave us. In fact, the link stated that the male and female common ancestor probably didn't live at the same time. To claim that they are from one family is an absolutely astounding leap of faith - but then that's hardly surprising coming from you.

A situation that Evolutionists commonly find themselves ... when it comes to origins issues!!!:)

8 - 0 :)

Taking things out of context? That's not like you.

62 Billion - 8

• Advertisement

J C, before we go any further - Please explain to me what your understanding of what the 'Most Recent Common Ancestor' is? It is futile to proceed any further until we're clear you understand what it means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement