Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sponsored is right this has pretty much descended into a farce. To all those, touting this 'miracle' paper that debunks CFSI, could you please debunk this paper for me?

Thanks,

[Open access version.]

What's my point? Just because a paper passes the peer review doesn't mean it's automatically right and judging by the comments here I seriously wonder if some of you guys actually can judge if that CFSI paper is valid or not. I strongly suspect that JC is nothing more than a mere troll, but to call a spade a spade if you're going to ask someone to debunk something you better make damn sure you understand it yourself also and be willing to convey that understanding to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jernal wrote: »
    Sponsored is right this has pretty much descended into a farce. To all those, touting this 'miracle' paper that debunks CFSI, could you please debunk this paper for me?

Someone else did it in 1999. Will that do?

Wikipedia has a decent section on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    Someone else did it in 1999. Will that do?

Wikipedia has a decent section on it too.

I think you may have missed the point. It took statisticians ages to pull that paper apart and find its errors. So what's not to say that this CFSI paper isn't laden with errors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Maybe it is. But merely saying you disagree with a point without showing any evidence as to why isn't going to find them. Besides, that paper's been out for nearly ten years. Don't you think someone would have torn it to shreds by now if it was particularly flawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

18AD wrote: »
    I don't mean to speak on behalf of anyone here, but I will. I don't think it was a 'pre'-judicial remark.

The references to 'cretins' ... and insanity, on the part of Creationists, are both 'pre'-judicial ... and prejudicial.
    Where exactly are we going?
    It all depends on whether you're Saved ... or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

J C wrote: »
    It all depends on whether you're Saved ... or not.

I'm assuming you don't know which of both of those the future holds for me or anyone else. So in truth, the conversation will unfold (from your perspective) in the same manner, regardless of that outcome. In which case, the direction of the conversation doesn't depend on that at all. AMIRITE? :pac:

I'm assuming you don't know which of both of those the future holds for me or anyone else. So in truth, the conversation will unfold (from your perspective) in the same manner, regardless of that outcome. In which case, the direction of the conversation doesn't depend on that at all. AMIRITE? :pac:
    You are correct.
    It was a 'tongue in cheek' comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

You are correct.
    It was a 'tongue in cheek' comment.

Beneath the subterfuge, the true direction of the discussion! The noblest telos. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Robin, you really do need to start respecting diversity of opinion and faith.

Odd. Why should opinions or faith be respected?

We don't respect political or scientific opinions. People should be respected, not their ideas. Their basic rights to life, freedom and happiness should be respected. But where we see that their faiths and opinions harm those things we respect in themselves or others, I think challenge by argument and mockery are appropriate. Censorship and prohibition are not acceptable, but you seem to cry "persecution" at the mere challenge, playing the offended victim every time people show your ideas disrespect. The best ideas survive despite attack, not because we put them beyond attack.

There should be no respect for ideas, ever.

Odd. Why should opinions or faith be respected?

We don't respect political or scientific opinions. People should be respected, not their ideas. Their basic rights to life, freedom and happiness should be respected. But where we see that their faiths and opinions harm those things we respect in themselves or others, I think challenge by argument and mockery are appropriate. Censorship and prohibition are not acceptable, but you seem to cry "persecution" at the mere challenge, playing the offended victim every time people show your ideas disrespect. The best ideas survive despite attack, not because we put them beyond attack.

There should be no respect for ideas, ever.
    Fair point.

... but civil discussion requires that the people who holds the idea/belief not be attacked ... with ad hominem remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Been over this ad meam nauseam before.

Why on earth would anybody want to grant "respect" to deceitfulness by pretending it's a "diversity of opinion"? :confused:

Fair point.

... but civil discussion requires that the people who holds the idea/belief not be attacked ... with ad hominem remarks.

There's a difference between an ad hominem fallacy and an attack on a person's traits.

The logical fallacy occurs when someone implies that a proposition is incorrect because the proponent has a specific trait. Pointing out the existence of the trait in itself is not a fallacy. It's not always nice, and it may not be considered civil, but it can have a valid function. Civility is of questionable value in an argument, depending on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I respect your faith in Evolution ... and I respect your right to publicly express it and promote it ...
    ... I would just ask that you respect the right of people of other faiths to do the same ... without being called 'cretins' and other prejudicial names.
    By all means, point out any claims made by Ken, with which you disagree ... but leave the unfounded Ad Hominem remarks at home.

Ken Ham is quite entitled to promote the basic facts of Genesis ... just like 'M2M' Evolutionists are also quite entitled to promote their faith in Materialism ... and it's 'origins stories' (Abiogenesis and M2M Evolution).

It's what used to be called religious freedom and the right to free-speech ... and having your children taught your faith.:)

Evolution is not a faith though, It's a scientific theory. Ken Ham is of course entitled to promote Genesis. If he or anyone else is going to promote it in opposition to scientific fact though, of course people are going to have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Sarky wrote: »
    merely saying you disagree with a point without showing any evidence as to why isn't going to find them.

1950s+woman+loves+ironing.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

heksen-krabbels6.png

Evolution is not a faith though, It's a scientific theory. Ken Ham is of course entitled to promote Genesis. If he or anyone else is going to promote it in opposition to scientific fact though, of course people are going to have an issue with it.

We might say we have faith in the theory- the theory could fail us in the future but we choose to believe it none-the-less. But this is clearly not the same sort of faith that J_C has in Jesus. Our faith in the theory of evolution is based on our appraisal of empirical evidence. For some less informed people, it's based on faith in expert opinion. Both of these things are verifiable in some sense by a third party. J_C's faith is based on personal revelation. That revelation is that the bible is an entirely truthful source. Revelation cannot be objectively verified, and all things which contradict revelation are assumed to be incorrect by default.

Revelation says the bible is correct, and the bible says that revelation and the bible itself are unquestionable. It's a logical loop that can't be easily broken by argument from evidence.

When we talk about our own faith and belief, we simply are not talking about the same thing that J_C is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

/Ignores like 4 threads filled to the brim with evidence for evolution, just to post a clever picture

JCs debunking of the CSI paper basically comes down to:
    Dempski is wrong because of X[1], Y[2] and Z[3]. Here are a few examples of stuff what disproves his claims.
    I disagree:D:rolleyes:;)

And even if he had made a solid attempt, a lot of people are just too fed up of him to even bother replying.
    Like me! :D (Apart from the odd snide remark, always have time for one of those.)

/Ignores like 4 threads filled to the brim with evidence for evolution, just to post a clever picture

Sorry but I have no idea what me ignoring like 4 threads filled to the brim
    with evidence for evolution has to do with what I'm saying or especially
    what it has to do with 1950's ironing lady. My guess is that you think
    I'm arguing against evolution or defending CFIS or something like that.
    I disagree:D:rolleyes:;)

As high a standard of scientific rigour as it is to accept your word as
    some kind of authority on the contents of JC's posts on as scientific a
    topic as debunking creationism is, I think offering arguments from
    authority as opposed to demonstrating, with [ugh] evidence, & justifying
    from those who pride themselves on the fact that they have so much
    evidence to justify their conclusions is why 1950's ironing woman has
    found a new home in this thread...
    And even if he had made a solid attempt, a lot of people are just too fed up of him to even bother replying.
    Like me! :D (Apart from the odd snide remark, always have time for one of those.)

I don't know if you're aware of it but this thread has at least 4 months
    of these attempts to get JC to properly respond to that paper.
    What kind of person spends 4 months asking someone to do something,
    increasingly using this topic as a weapon to insult (out of frustration at
    times, sure) & then just totally ignore every single word posted once
    they get what they wanted & instead use it as another means to
    insult...? When that happens it becomes more similar to the doctrine of
    original sin or wife beating really, so trying to justify the fact that people
    are too fed up to respond really isn't any kind of a justification...

All of that is cynical enough in and of itself, but the reason I've bothered
    to respond is because the people on one side of this are using the
    authority of science non-stop & even funnier they are criticizing JC
    for his lack of scientific analysis while simultaneously displaying their
    own high standards of scientific skills in writing off massive portions of
    JC's post with quick dismissive insults relying exclusively on the shadows
    cast by the authority of science & evidence ever present in this thread
    in name only, such ironing...

Sorry but I have no idea what me ignoring like 4 threads filled to the brim
    with evidence for evolution has to do with what I'm saying or especially
    what it has to do with 1950's ironing lady. My guess is that you think
    I'm arguing against evolution or defending CFIS or something like that.
    I can't even remember what side of the fence you call home on the whole creation/evolution thing. It doesn't really matter, anyone can call out hypocrisy.

When I saw your post quoting someone saying how it's unreasonable to dismiss something without evidence, and then post an image that can be found by Googleing: "oh the ironing" (image found on the 6th line)
    It really seemed to imply that you thought Sarky was, ironically, dismissing something without evidence. So sorry if I got that one wrong. I really can't see any other explanation.

Meow, if you had in fact intended to imply such things, one could say this.
    That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
    JC presents CSI as proof as Creation, there is no evidence to support the existence of CSI, there is even the mentioned paper which as far in as page 20 (where I currently am, it's slow going while trying to work at the same time :p) the author has quite neatly undermined a few of Dempski's claims. Making the entire idea of CSI look a bit shoddy.

As high a standard of scientific rigour as it is to accept your word as
    some kind of authority on the contents of JC's posts on as scientific a
    topic as debunking creationism is, I think offering arguments from
    authority as opposed to demonstrating, with [ugh] evidence, & justifying
    from those who pride themselves on the fact that they have so much
    evidence to justify their conclusions is why 1950's ironing woman has
    found a new home in this thread...
    I wouldn't ask you to take my word for it.
    J C wrote:
    In recent books and articles (e.g., [16, 17, 19]), William Dembski uses a semi-mathematical treatment of information theory to justify his claims about "intelligent design". He has backed up his contentions with mathematical rigour.

See that?
    Papers claim. J C disagrees
    While the paper contains references, J C does nothing to back up his counter claim, thus it can be dismissed.
    I don't know if you're aware of it but this thread has at least 4 months
    of these attempts to get JC to properly respond to that paper.
    What kind of person spends 4 months asking someone to do something,
    increasingly using this topic as a weapon to insult (out of frustration at
    times, sure) & then just totally ignore every single word posted once
    they get what they wanted & instead use it as another means to
    insult...? When that happens it becomes more similar to the doctrine of
    original sin or wife beating really, so trying to justify the fact that people
    are too fed up to respond really isn't any kind of a justification...

All of that is cynical enough in and of itself, but the reason I've bothered
    to respond is because the people on one side of this are using the
    authority of science non-stop & even funnier they are criticizing JC
    for his lack of scientific analysis while simultaneously displaying their
    own high standards of scientific skills in writing off massive portions of
    JC's post with quick dismissive insults relying exclusively on the shadows
    cast by the authority of science & evidence ever present in this thread
    in name only, such ironing...

1 word highlighted. Very important word.

I can't even remember what side of the fence you call home on the whole creation/evolution thing. It doesn't really matter, anyone can call out hypocrisy.

Sorry but I still have no idea what me ignoring like 4 threads filled to the
    brim with evidence for evolution or what side I fall down on of this fence
    has to do with what I'm saying or especially what it has to do with
    1950's ironing lady.
    When I saw your post quoting someone saying how it's unreasonable to dismiss something without evidence, and then post an image that can be found by Googleing: "oh the ironing" (image found on the 6th line)
    It really seemed to imply that you thought Sarky was, ironically, dismissing something without evidence. So sorry if I got that one wrong. I really can't see any other explanation.

That's exactly what I was saying, & you'll notice the post I quoted came
    after I posted this, the post which explicitly points out the hypocrisy in
    this thread (i.e. it was pointed out in a manner that any honest person
    would readily concede and try to correct for). But no:
    person A points out hypocrisy of persons B,C,...;
    person X commits further hypocrisy;
    person A quotes X's further hypocrisy, a quote that so deliciously
    describes X's own hypocrisy only delicious ironing can illustrate it.
    Meow, if you had in fact intended to imply such things, one could say this.
    That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

As warm & cuddly as Hitchen's phrase is, if you think it through it's just
    foolish - for example not only are you using logic to analyze such a
    sentence (logic which can never be justified with evidence), the sentence
    itself is self-negating if taken seriously [hopefully you can see, let alone
    admit, that]. But that aside, lets take it as true - it just illustrates further
    hypocrisy in here:
    The point I'm trying to make is about the sheer hypocrisy in this thread
    by virtue of the fact that one side, the majority of posters on here, make
    dismissive statements about JC's posts, statements "asserted without
    evidence" and hence, "can be dismissed without evidence". Curiously
    you completely ignore that, totally irrelevant, and instead focus on me...
    If you believe so passionately in Hitchen's phrase then why didn't you call
    everyone else out with the exact same phrase? I've already told you that
    the sheer size of the post containing all of the hypocritical posts is far
    too big - in fact just prove me wrong: Try it yourself...
    Not only will this be a great chance at trying to one-up me by finding
    that, after all, I'm talking out of my ass but you'll also be forced to
    actually address JC's posts in order to contextualize the hypocrisy which
    forces at least someone to bother to address JC's actual words...
    Heck even try to justify the very last thing I quoted with the Ironing Lady
    picture, please explain to us how you can simultaneously ignore such glaring
    hypocrisy in the face of what I'll quote & explain below. On second thoughts,
    I'll re-ask this question at the very end of the post so just hold off for a second.
    But no, lets focus on the one post of mine, something I'd already
    explained was far too huge for me to explain & something I'd already
    justified by reference to a specific example of JC's totally ignored by
    persons B,...,X (something illustrated below). This is just a basic
    consequence of logic (offering one counterexample to invalidate a claim).
    JC presents CSI as proof as Creation, there is no evidence to support the existence of CSI, there is even the mentioned paper which as far in as page 20 (where I currently am, it's slow going while trying to work at the same time :p) the author has quite neatly undermined a few of Dempski's claims. Making the entire idea of CSI look a bit shoddy.

JC claims otherwise, and that's fine. If you scroll back or were paying
    attention at the time the whole point of this ridiculous paper was for
    JC to explain what was incorrect about it's dismissal of Dembski's
    argument as some form of justification of CSI. So technically we don't
    know yet as JC is supposed to justify it, that is - he was before those
    requesting his justification totally invalidated themselves (more below).
    I wouldn't ask you to take my word for it.

But what you just posted was doing exactly that (hence why I called you
    on it, hence why I'm posting this argument). Lets examine why:
    I disagreebiggrin.gif:rolleyes:wink.gif

That's it... So even though JC has posted tons of material, examining
    part of the paper offering his thoughts on lines/paragraphs you choose
    not to quote a tap of that & instead merely insist that his entire
    argument can be summed up with "I disagree". Ignoring the fact that
    this is tautologically obvious by virtue of the fact that the whole point
    of him examining the paper is to show us why it's wrong, you don't
    bother to quote his words & show us how we can just sum his argument
    up with "I disagree", also you ignore - totally - the fact that JC has
    consistently argued that the authors ignore a distinction between
    design & intelligent design:
    Intelligent design advocates claim that "design implies a designer", ID proponents claim that "Intelligent Design implies an Intelligent Designer".
    but perhaps this claim owes more to the structure of English than it does to logic. After all, we would not likely say "pattern implies a patterner". The reason we don't say that "pattern implies a patterner" is because 'patterns' and indeed 'designs' that aren't specified can be produced by random and deterministic processes that don't require any intelligent input.

By the standards of those scientifically minded people in this thread we
    would be totally deluded into ignoring this (something I've already
    referred to in my first post but just totally ignored by you & others [note
    the other distinction I made back then]). In other words, by virtue of
    this example alone everybody criticizing JC totally embarrasses
    themselves, totally invalidates themselves & furthermore can't argue
    ignorance as I'd already hinted at the fact JC was making distinctions
    like this in my first post since the vast majority of his posts were mainly
    ones "of pure logic, not something you can actually prove - something the
    majority of JC's posts are exemplary of". Hopefully I don't need to explain how
    comments that write off important things like the above is the antithesis of science,
    hence why it's so important when illustrated by those crowing the loudest about
    their scientific credentials & their own understanding of the practice of science
    (while chiding others for their apparent lack of such noble understanding).
    See that?
    Papers claim. J C disagrees
    While the paper contains references, J C does nothing to back up his counter claim, thus it can be dismissed.

Few glaring things to point out with this:
    1) We should be aware that this is the second time anybody bothered to
    quote JC, lets remember the first & second quotes came only after the
    hypocrisy was pointed out by me & that's pretty messed up when
    thought about considering I've already mentioned, twice, just one
    important example of something that might be considered as a valid
    point to anybody honest enough to engage it [note the qualification I
    made in my first post].
    2) On the face of it we are dealing with the introduction so every
    statement in the introduction made by anybody is meant to be a
    summary, so just by basic logic you can't justify yourself in any depth
    & that's what the rest of the paper is for. In similar logic JC can only
    respond with similarly broad statements without reference to evidence.
    But even ignoring this trivial point, I'm just shocked you'd choose a
    quote that totally invalidates the argument you're trying to make when
    there are far better quotes you could have chosen to make the point
    you're making (which, by any honest standards would be highly
    questionable by the point I've just made):
    3) Notice how the authors claim Dembski's used a "semi-mathematical
    treatment of information theory to justify his claims about "intelligent
    design"", the evidence to justify it's semi-mathematical nature is
    Dembski's own papers. Similarly JC refers to the exact same papers
    referenced in the exact same quote. Without going into any more depth,
    something I'm aware is shunned by this audience, your point is totally
    rendered irrelevant. If it's not clear I'll be explicit:
    3') Authors refer to sources cited as "semi-mathematical",
    3'') JC refers to exact same material, the material referenced in the
    part of the paper he was quoting, as "backed up... with mathematical rigour".
    Therefore the point being made is fully referenced.
    So again it seems we're being totally deceived by you guys even when
    you bother to quote JC, most likely out of ignorance fueled by spite but
    it could be something else. Nonsense like this can be avoided when
    people honestly engage large portions of topic X and triple check
    everything, for instance my point 2) just implies you don't quote the
    introduction as you're most likely going to end up having to correct
    things by going deeper into the paper, and unsurprisingly I'm right...
    1 word highlighted. Very important word.

Judging by the standards of your last posts we can totally ignore this
    since we have evidence of you missing very important pieces of the
    massive posts you dismissively refer to with one liners...
    But just for kicks lets analyze the flaws with what you've said:
    Again it just illustrates the cynical hypocrisy of arguing in the name of
    science while, in practice, totally ignoring it's method by totally refusing
    to demonstrate how JC's posts are not a proper response. If you
    need evidence of this I've provided it above, as would be obvious to
    anybody not trying to quote sections of my posts & fish for
    contradictions (had that happen on this forum many times, hence the
    pedantic justifications). The thing is any honest person would have done
    that immediately, & I swear it's what I thought the whole goal of chasing
    JC down with this paper was. Also we can use your own Hitchen's
    argument to invalidate your own point (I'm surprised you didn't notice
    this yourself).
    So please, I'd love for you to explain to us how you can simultaneously
    ignore the post I quoted with my 1950's Ironing lady, shown to be just
    the latest example of complete hypocrisy when we remember the
    distinction JC is making (as I quoted, that thing everybody ignores with
    their grandiose write-off's of JC's posts, and something referred to in
    my first post) & still post Hitchen's quotes as if they are some form of
    authority invalidating anybodies point, let alone an excuse for stellar logic.

• Advertisement

When I say "[note the qualification I made in my first post]" ignore it.
    I apologize, I'm referring to the huge post I originally wrote and deleted
    because of it's size, should have checked to see if I'd included that but I
    didn't. Ignore that, the rest should still stand. The distinction I thought I'd
    already posted was that it doesn't matter whether JC's design/intelligent-
    design distinction is a valid or even honest one it's inconsequential to the
    point I was trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

ur right s.w.

i didnt have to read through all j.c.s attempts at the paper..i only needed to find one point worth discussion...he may have many.

u pointed to it...and im surprised too it was overlooked by better guys than me.

if j.c. could proove 99.9 god existed on this thread....in the morning the whole world would claim it...the catholics /prods/sunnis /shiites ...and all in between. he would do no favours to himself or anyone else. bar science.

lets narrow the focus...take ur strongest point j.c....and argue from there.

allow four years of frustration to the other side...they have engaged for you....and u may urself be accountable for any unintended prejudice on their part...because u have told them ur end game is jesus/god.

progress together with them...even if u come up with wonderous stuff..they might give it to allah...or krisna ...or aliens ..well you know.

intelligence...who has the claim?

i still cant believe you took a shot at the paper...i think u were cut down unfairly...but carry on.

a big task to take on for one guy...but u only need to cast affirmative doubt on any one point...so dont overburden urself...

just taking a shot has got u great respect. gl.

p.s. ...for all we know sarkys future nobel winning grandson might have time travelled back to create the conditions for this thread...all because sarky skimped on his confirmation money.

inteligence is covered by science and god. and whatever we have not yet thought off...but i personally suspect sarkys offspring....omy...

i hope god wins. or sarky gives genourously.

gotta go with god on that one ...

p.p.s.

cant be mean. the best pee my pants laff on the whole of boards came from a sarky post. couldnt even thank it...i was going for the other position.

but i never laughed so hard. and ive learned stuff here too from him.

i even believe that in a parallel universe that j.c. sarky dades and dead one are somehow on the run from religious authorities for their outrageous lifestyles together.

they all on the run from pope paisley .

p.p.p.s

j.c. whatever anyside thinks of him

he is not a troll. i hope j.c. is spared that comment in future

i think a lot of us would give j.c. that.

im certain of it. it does not take much insight...j.c. would give us alms..

if he can give knowledge...he is doubley blessed.

u will get challenged for knowledge j.c....and rightly so

but i think ur growing on folks...win or lose.

u will leave us better for knowing u either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

He is not a troll - he's just thoroughly uneducated about science, and wilfully so.

thanks dlofnep,
    i agree with u. he is not a troll.

im not sure he is as uneducated as u say...but lets differ on that.

urs faithfully,

dangermouse.
    sorry...esuomregnad.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    p.p.p.s

j.c. whatever anyside thinks of him

he is not a troll. i hope j.c. is spared that comment in future

i think a lot of us would give j.c. that.

im certain of it. it does not take much insight...j.c. would give us alms..

if he can give knowledge...he is doubley blessed.

u will get challenged for knowledge j.c....and rightly so

but i think ur growing on folks...win or lose.

u will leave us better for knowing u either way.

How many different user accounts does Jc have anyhow? This is the third one I've seen.

As regards not hearing out jc's "addressing" of the paper? Jc has long claimed to be a "trained scientist". When was the last time you saw a scientist tackling a paper in this absurd manner? Instead of looking at the core points being made and the proofs behind those (which would save him and all reading his posts a lot of time), he goes through it line by line from the top? Repeating the same unfounded opinions over and over again without proof.

The wife-beating analogy is just over the top, and offensive. And not in the hilarious way.

Just cut to the meat of the paper and either disprove the authors or accept what their assertions and move on. That is the process boiled down to one sentence. This is not about fairness, it's about backing up years of opinion with some logical proof.

I'm not a follower of Hitchens or Dawkins either, by the way. I'm a postgraduate ecologist trying to make sense of how natural systems are structured. This baseless nonsense and deluded rhetoric...this slow motion car crash has come to a standstill. And it's not the fault of those who are rightly pis5ed off waiting for some proof.

Mr. Boo wrote: »
    this slow motion car crash has come to a standstill.

Hopefully not, we've still got an evolution video course to get through cool.gif
    The wife-beating analogy is just over the top, and offensive. And not in the hilarious way.

Offensive or not it still is a great analogy for what we've witnessed. Why?
    Just as a wife beater who beats his wife for doing what he told her to do
    after months of beating her for not doing it, so too we have people in
    here insulting JC for responding while simultaneously ignoring every single
    word he posts after months of them constantly chasing him down to go
    through the actual words of the paper & insulting him for not doing it...
    So basically if you think the analogy is over the top you have to actually
    explain what's over the top about it rather than just tell me it's offensive
    - considering how well it describes the situation in here I find it pretty
    disturbing that you find the analogy, rather than the reality, offensive.
    Repeating the same unfounded opinions over and over again without proof.

Just read through the first 100 or so pages & you'll see tons & tons of
    my posts making explicit JC's lies over & over again. I got JC to admit
    that he accepts like 95% of the theory of evolution, I've made explicit
    how full of holes the guys arguments are. I just remember what I did
    back then, others were similarly poking massive holes in his arguments.
    Not only does he repeat the opinions over & over but he repeats
    comment about the flaws in evolution he'd previously told us he actually
    accepts. If you've been following this train wreck of a thread you'd really
    appreciate how fcuked up it is for people to chase JC down for months
    expecting some form of an honest answer. But shockingly JC finally
    goes for it eek.gif He actually engages a paper line/paragraph by
    line/paragraph, the majority of which is him simply pointing out that
    the authors missed what might be a crucial logical error on the part of
    the authors. Note the key word there, logical distinction...
    I have no idea if it's an honest argument on his behalf but surely you
    can't deny that ignoring everything else if he's right about the logical
    distinction he's right - end of...
    However, what do we get from those flaunting their scientific knowledge
    for months non-stop? What do we get from those who apparently
    represent the honest side of the argument?
    Surely they'd engage that distinction, maybe explain to JC why the
    authors are actually incorporating JC's distinction into their analysis
    (the pattern implies patterner part makes me think JC might have a
    point, though I don't care to waste my time on chasing up this
    boring nonsense), surely we'd see at least something of that which
    they wear as a badge of honour?
    As much as JC has led people on in the past you can't excuse everyone
    else when they descend to his level, especially when they're so proud of
    the fact they're not like this lowly scientific philistine, but apparently we
    are supposed to excuse everyone for some justifiable reason, maybe
    I'm just not in on the secret of why we're supposed to do that:
    Because people are pi∫∫ed off? :rolleyes:
    Because JC is a charlatan? (Why are we even having this conversation then, why
    bother chasing him for months...? Why... *repeats posts*
    ).
    Because he didn't do it properly? How the hell do we know that when nobody
    bothered to quote him? Note what we've missed by submitting to the authority of the insults
    by those in here...

Because nobody else debunked the paper therefore it must be
    correct regardless of what JC says ergo his words are irrelevant?
    How scientific it is to appeal to the authority of absence of evidence as evidence of absence...
    This sums up the justifications thus far, but maybe I've just missed the
    one that isn't pathetic...?

I don't understand how people can miss this.

• Advertisement

On a side note SW.
    I'll reply properly on like.. Monday or so. Weekends are for not thinking too hard :D

I may have missed your point when I replied to Ironing Lady also, since I don't really follow this thread to the letter. So a bit of reading may be in order.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement