Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

koth wrote: »
    any chance of an answer, JC?

So what created them?
    A combination of random and deterministic processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

J C wrote: »
    I have no problem with faith being taught to children in schools (or outside schools) ... so I have no problem ... and indeed, I think that it is essential to teach Evolution 'warts and all' to all children.
    -
    I have said that the evidence for and against Evolution should be taught. This would include the fact that there is strong evidence for Evolution within Kinds using pre-existing CFSI ... and the fact that there is no unabiguous evidence for the spontaneous evolution of CFSI.

So the whole point is that you think the alternative to evolution that you endorse should be taught in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why can this not apply to life then?

• Moderators Posts: 51,784 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

so humans must be created by a designer, but the universe (including Earth) happened without a designer?

If you can read this, you're too close!

18AD wrote: »
    So the whole point is that you think the alternative to evolution that you endorse should be taught in schools?
    You have accepted that (M2M) Evolution is a faith ... so I say 'sauce for the goose ... sauce for the gander'.

• Advertisement

Why can this not apply to life then?
    Because a combination of random and deterministic processes is observed to not be capable of generating the Complex Functional Specific Information found in living systems.

You have accepted that (M2M) Evolution is a faith ... so I say 'sauce for the goose ... sauce for the gander'.

To be honest, I don't even know what M2M Evolution is. I'm just trying to make sense of what you're saying. I havn't accepted anything.

You claimed evolution was faith based.
    Then you admit that there is some evidence for it, therefore it's not faith based.
    J C wrote:
    I have said that the evidence for and against Evolution...

Emphasis added.

by whom?

who have proven this to be the case? Have the defined exactly what CFSI is?

so humans must be created by a designer, but the universe (including Earth) happened without a designer?
    Life can be scientifically declared to have been intelligently designed because it contains CFSI.

Raw matter in the Universe and on the Earth doesn't contain CFSI ... and therefore may ... or may not have been intelligently created.
    It's a bit like a pile of sand may have been dumped by a lorry driven by an intelligent agent ... or it may have been dumped by floodwater.
    ... but if a house has been built by the appliance of intelligence to the pile of sand it will contain CFSI ... and it therefore can be scientifically declared to have been Intelligently Designed.

How can it scientifically declared? There isn't any science out there that mentions CFSI.

And you've just contradicted yourself because if I make a sandcastle, sand suddenly has CFSI?

The term is so ambiguous as to be of no use.

• Advertisement

How can it scientifically declared? There isn't any science out there that mentions CFSI.

And you've just contradicted yourself because if I make a sandcastle, sand suddenly has CFSI?

The term is so ambiguous as to be of no use.
    Where have I contradicted myself ... I said that CFSI is the result of the imposition of intelligent activity on matter ... and a sand-castle is indeed the result of the imposition of intelligently directed activity upon sand.

A sand-castle contains Complex Specified Design and is thus a product of intelligence.

does a cave created by coastal erosion contain CFSI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A sand-castle contains Complex Specified Design and is thus a product of intelligence.

What about a snow-flake, which gives the appearance of design?

icysnow-flake.jpg

does a cave created by coastal erosion contain CFSI?
    no ... coastal erosion doesn't produced specified functional structures that the hand of man would produce.

dlofnep wrote: »
    What about a snow-flake, which gives the appearance of design?

icysnow-flake.jpg
    A snowflake is designed (by a combination of random and deterministic processes).

It isn't intelligently designed, because it doesn't have specified functionality.

no ... coastal erosion doesn't produced specified structures that the hand of man would produce.

but man made caves do contain CFSI?

but man made caves do contain CFSI?
    Yes, that is actually how we differentiate between man-made and naturally created caves.

Yes, that is actually how we differentiate between man-made and naturally created caves.

so if a person was to happen upon a cave, how would they measure the absence/presence of CFSI?

No it isn't. I mean, there are observable conditions which can reveal whether a cave is man made or natural, but to lump these under an umbrella term like CFSI, which is then also used to describe features present in life, is just unreasonable.

so if a person was to happen upon a cave, how would they measure the absence/presence of CFSI?
    You would observe if there are complex specified structures or designs on the walls of the cave. If there are chisel marks and/or artwork, for example, these would be complex specified designs and thus CFSD.

• Advertisement

so you can only determine CFSI after determining that a human created the cave by evidence of tools used or cave paintings? and what is CFSD?

okay, JC, I have this for you to ponder/respond to.

I'm going to use the cave example to try and get across where my thinking is at with regards to CFSI.

The cave exists, but we don't know if it's erosion or man made. So we examine the cave. We find evidence of tool marks on the cave which match previously discovered tools known to be used by man. And once we've established this we can say the cave contains CFSI.

To apply the same thinking to creationism we fall at the first hurdle. We don't have evidence of tools that have been used previously by a deity to create life. We essentially have the cave, but no tool marks.

Creationism is basically saying that a deity created a cave using tools never before seen, that leave no evidence behind but there is CFSI present in humans.

How? You haven't fulfilled the criteria you put forward with regards to caves and CFSI. The existence of the designer proves the case for CFSI, not vice versa.

What is CFSI? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's funny, nobody has ever come out and defined it in a way that makes sense. Or is even internally consistent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A snowflake is designed (by a combination of random and deterministic processes). It isn't intelligently designed, because it doesn't have specified functionality.
    It does -- it's designed by nature to fall downwards. And it does this quite effectively.

Are you saying that gravity is intelligent?

okay, JC, I have this for you to ponder/respond to.

I'm going to use the cave example to try and get across where my thinking is at with regards to CFSI.

The cave exists, but we don't know if it's erosion or man made. So we examine the cave. We find evidence of tool marks on the cave which match previously discovered tools known to be used by man. And once we've established this we can say the cave contains CFSI.
    When it comes to things like caves it is actually CFSD (Complex Functional Specified Design )that we are talking about, most of the time. Identification of such designs is independent of the methods used to produce them.
    To apply the same thinking to creationism we fall at the first hurdle. We don't have evidence of tools that have been used previously by a deity to create life. We essentially have the cave, but no tool marks.
    ... we have the cave with the complete works of Shakespeare (and Wikipedia) written on its walls!!!
    Who did the writing ... and how it was actually done isn't known ... but we know definitively that an inteligent agent(s) did it.
    Creationism is basically saying that a deity created a cave using tools never before seen, that leave no evidence behind but there is CFSI present in humans.

How? You haven't fulfilled the criteria you put forward with regards to caves and CFSI. The existence of the designer proves the case for CFSI, not vice versa.
    The existence of CFSI scientificaly proves that an intelligent agent(s) is/are ultimately responsible for the artefact, nothing more ... nothing less.

robindch wrote: »
    It does -- it's designed by nature to fall downwards. And it does this quite effectively.
    ... and it does so through a combination of random (air movements) and deterministic (gravity) processes - which don't require any intelligent input.
    robindch wrote: »
    Are you saying that gravity is intelligent?
    ... I am saying that neither the production of the snowflake or it's falling to the ground reqiuires an intelligent input ... but using it in combination with other snowflakes to make a specified snowman or a functional specified igloo does require an intelligent input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I actually regret trying to focus J C on that paper for so long.

He's much more hilarious when trying to explain other things.

... and it does so through a combination of random (air movements) and deterministic (gravity) processes - which don't require any intelligent input.

... I am saying that neither the production of the snowflake or it's falling to the ground reqiuires an intelligent input ... but using it in combination with other snowflakes to make a specified snowman or a functional specified igloo does require an intelligent input.

What makes a snowman more specified than a snowflake?

• Advertisement

When it comes to things like caves it is actually CFSD (Complex Functional Specified Design )that we are talking about, most of the time. Identification of such designs is independent of the methods used to produce them.

... we have the cave with the complete works of Shakespeare (and Wikipedia) written on its walls!!!
    Who did the writing ... and how it was actually done isn't known ... but we know definitively that an inteligent agent(s) did it.

The existence of CFSI scientificaly proves that an intelligent agent(s) is/are ultimately responsible for the artefact, nothing more ... nothing less.

Alright folks we've worked out what CFSI is, let me provide a definition.

CFSI is whatever a creationist wants it to be at any given moment in time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement