Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »
    The Plane contains the Intelligently Designed CFSI required to fly.
    not really, since CFSI isn't a valid term for anything.
    CFSI is proof of Intelligent Activity.

but you need proof intelligent activity to prove CFSI. You've created a paradox for yourself.

If you can read this, you're too close!

MrPudding wrote: »
    Second, do you not see how utterly retarded of is to ask someone to explain something relate to something, csfi, which they think is rubbish and which you have yet to define in a meaningful way. It is akin to asking someone why they don't think Santa can deliver all the presents in one night.

MrP
    I recall no such thing.

Denial is a terrible thing.

I'm presuming that MrP is referring to doctoremma. It looks like I've some fun reading ahead

EDIT: definitely beginning to look that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They're not completely functionless ... they just don't fly!!

What is their function?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jesus f*cking Christ, I skimmed through a few of the "publications" J C posted in that thread. It's like creationists just drink a gallon of castor oil, point whichever orifice gets distressed first at a paper and call whatever's left after the fuss is over science. Awful, shoddy, completely dishonest stuff.

J C should be embarrassed to have thought for a second that those links were even remotely scientific, or proved anything beyond the stupidity and willingness to lie of his buddies. Your attempts at science are abysmal, pathetic rubbish of the highest order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

dlofnep wrote: »
    We've presented you with evidence, but you insulted those who presented it by ignoring it.
    Ye didn't actually present any evidence.
    In this post last week, you were warned about telling lies concerning people who work to increase the sum total of human knowledge.

Your implication here that oldrnwisr provided nothing in his/her outstanding post of last week on the evolutionary history of mankind is similarly dishonest.

Please withdraw that claim that no evidence has been produced and please address yourself to the evidence that has been produced, painstakingly and with care.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

JC
    Actually it's a clue -- It has link somewhere else...The clue is carved into the very soul of board and will only be revealed to those dedicated enough to discover it. The clue is

"Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.
    - Mohandas Gandhi"

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

dead one wrote: »
    JC
    "Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.
    - Mohandas Gandhi"

i thought that you were trying to bolster JC?:confused:
    Have you removed your "cobwebs of ignorance" and joined the side of reason?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ye didn't actually present any evidence.

You are such an outrageous liar, it's amazing.

Time and time again you choose to blatantly ignore real evidence, recently provided by oldrnwisr in great detail, but you remain ignorant to it, rather than accept the fact you are wrong and Creationism has no real valid evidence to back it up.

You cling to this nonsense purely because you believe in God, and it's the only way you can keep convincing yourself is true. Why not just stick your fingers in your ears and shout "LALALALALALALALA".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I'm just wondering how something as highly specified and complex as an eye could evercome about through a combination of random mutation ... which destroys CFSI ... and a natural/sexual selection mechanism ... for the destroyedCFSI
    Perhaps you'd like to explain it.

Yes, I would actually. First of all though, apologies to the other posters for rehashing this but these kind of bullsh1t cliched arguments really irritate me.

Ok, first of all, I will detail a simple mechanism which through a mutation-based deterministic process, the eye can evolve from nothing. Then I will go on to discuss the individual steps with reference to the established research and where we find examples of these intermediate steps in nature.

Ok, a simplified mechanism for the evolution of the human eye looks something like this.

1. A light sensitive patch of skin develops conferring an evolutionary advantage on the creature by allowing it to distinguish light from dark.
    2. Through the process of selection, the light sensitive patch becomes a shallow depression in the skin, allowing for some basic directionality, allowing the creature to sense movement and possibly evade predators.
    3. Next, the increased advantage gained by directionality is exploited and the depression becomes deeper and deeper until it becomes like a pinhole camera allowing for maximum information to be gained.
    4. Next, the mucus produced by the cells accumulates due to the narrowed opening.
    5. Then, the mucus hardens and forms a primitive lens which acts to concentrate the incoming light.
    6. After this, the cells forming the interior surface of the eye become free to move relative to the surrounding tissue, allowing for an even greater field of vision.
    7. Finally, the increasing use of movement of the eye leads to the development of muscle tissue around both the eye exterior and lens, putting both under control of the creature. We now have an eye similar to our own.

The first step in the process would seem to be the most problematic because once the ball is rolling, so to speak, the gradual refinements are easily explained by the determinism of natural selection.

However, the development of light sensitivity is well understood and we have a living intermediate to help us understand it.

300px-Adult_Caenorhabditis_elegans.jpg

This is Caenorhabditis elegans. It is a soil-dwelling nematode. It is a well studied species, with the research dating back to the 1970s. The development of light sensistivity in C. elegans is detailed here:

A Novel Molecular Solution for Ultraviolet Light Detection in Caenorhabditis elegans.

Research has also been done on cnidaria which provided more insights into the evolution of photosensitivity.

The Origins of Novel Protein Interactions during Animal Opsin Evolution.

The next stage in the mechanism is the development of the shallow depression and the introduction of directionality. One of the best living examples of this is the genus of flatworm known as Planaria.

240px-Polycelis_felina.jpg

This is Polycelis felina, a freshwater flatworm. One of its sister species, Polycelis auricularia has provided researchers with tremendous insight into eye evolution including:

Chance and necessity in eye evolution

New Perspectives on Eye Development and the Evolution of Eyes and Photoreceptors

The genetic control of eye development and its implications for the evolution of the various eye-types

Next, we move on to the exaggerated form of the shallow depression, namely the pinhole camera eye. Here, we turn to cephalopods as the best living example of this intermediate stage.

220px-Nautilus_profile.jpg

This is Nautilus belauensis, which is responsible for those nice shells people seem to think make good ashtrays. Not only that but studying these cephalopods has also helped us to better understand not only the evolution of the eye but also convergent evolution which dlofnep previously explained.

Charting Evolution’s Trajectory: Using Molluscan Eye Diversity to Understand Parallel and Convergent Evolution

New perspectives on eye evolution (Abstract only)

Evolution of the cephalopod head complex by assembly of multiple molluscan body parts: Evidence from Nautilus embryonic development

The last intermediate stage that we have is the development of a primitive lens due to the hardening of accumulated mucus in the pinhole camera eye. Again we also have a living example of this intermediate stage in the form of the octopus.

220px-Octopus2.jpg

Just as with the Nautilus, comparative study of the evolution of octopus eyes has provided support for convergent evolution and for the evolution of the human eye. Some more research for you to digest now.

A wide-angle gradient index optical model of the crystalline lens and eye of the octopus (Abstract only)

Comparative Analysis of Gene Expression for Convergent Evolution of Camera Eye Between Octopus and Human

Genetic mechanisms involved in the evolution of the cephalopod camera eye revealed by transcriptomic and developmental studies

So, now JC, we have an incremental mechanism for the development of the eye from its simplest possible form to an eye roughly analagous to that possessed by humans. In nature we find each intermediate step realised through different extant creatures and we have a massive volume of research to support the evolution of the eye. Now, if you want we can move this discussion deeper and discuss the evolutionary development of thinks like rhodopsin, the molecule responsible for photosensitivity or the Pax6 gene, which plays a crucial role in eye evolution but I suspect that what I have already posted is beyond you.

Finally, just one more note on the awesome power of science which you have so utterly failed to recognise. As far as the evolution of the eye is concerned we can also show that, without reference to external biological evidence, the evolution of the eye as a mathematical model poses no problems for evolution as a concept.

A pessimistic estimate of the time required for an eye to evolve

The evolution of the eye didn't pose a problem for Darwin when he wrote Origin and it doesn't pose any problem for scientists over a hundred years later but I guess dishonest charlatans like you JC would rather stick to your quote-mined bull**** than invest time in learning how things really work.

Oh and one more thing. This is the ad hominem fallacy. Please read it and try to understand that you're talking bull**** by accusing people of making ad hominems against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Another great post, that will be sadly lost on J C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

sephir0th wrote: »
    Look at this gem I found in the original thread:

So the RLN is god 'having a laugh'.
    Flightless birds with non-functional wings is because 'they look better'.
    Common DNA sequences is 'common design'.

I'm getting good at this creationist stuff. :pac:
    Good to see you going back over old threads ... that's the way to really learn!!!

... it's just like revising for an exam.:)

... maybe we'll have a Creation Science exam ... Robin can be invigilator ... and Koth can mark the papers!!!:eek::D

... maybe we'll have a Creation Science exam ... Robin can be invigilator ... and Koth can mark the papers!!!:eek::D

To anyone who wishes to do the test, the only answer that you need is CFSI. you don't need to understand it or be able to explain it any form. Just repeating the term incessantly gets you an A and your creationist diploma.

Just make sure to send me your exam fees up front :P

robindch wrote: »
    In this post last week, you were warned about telling lies concerning people who work to increase the sum total of human knowledge.
    ... and I answered your post comprehensively here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77580404&postcount=8558

Science makes progress via the questioning of existing ideas ... and if this is to be suppressed or if those asking uncomfortable questions are censored, then science will go the way religion went in the Middle Ages ... clinging to power by the threat of retribution ... rather than deserving of it by the free exchange of ideas and their critical evaluation in an open and non-threatening environment.

... and please don't say that science needs to be protected from certain types of questions ... this is exactly what all dogmatic religions also say.
    If science (or indeed any religion) doesn't have the answers ... or the answers are indicating something that science currently doesn't accept ... that is no reason to ban the questions ... or to censor the questioners!!!
    ... indeed this is the very reason that questions should be encouraged ... and questioners protected!!!

... and if it does have the answers ... then it should welcome the questions anyway!!!

... and if science doesn't have the answers ... then it needs to think about the questions ... rather then censoring the questioners.

Your implication here that oldrnwisr provided nothing in his/her outstanding post of last week on the evolutionary history of mankind is similarly dishonest.
    I'm not implying it ... I'm stating it as a fact that oldrnwisr didn't provide any unambiguous evidence for W2M Evolution in this post ... and I addressed oldrnwisr's 'outstanding post' comprehensively and in minute detail here:-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77645167&postcount=8680
    ... and followed on here.
    Please withdraw that claim that no evidence has been produced and please address yourself to the evidence that has been produced, painstakingly and with care.
    You and I both know that no unambiguous evidence for W2M Evolution has been produced on this thread ... or anywhere else.
    If it had you wouldn't be asking me to address some unspecified supposed evidence for W2M Evolution ... you'd be 'rubbing my nose in it' by repeatedly posting it and asking for a refutation.:(

There is plenty of evidence for evolution on this thread, JC. by repeatedly stating that there isn't, you are either unable to comprehend the evidence or lying.

And no one is saying science should be protected from Christian creation stories. They're generally saying that it isn't science. If you took off your religious blinkers long enough to do some reading, you'd understand that too ;)

koth wrote: »
    To anyone who wishes to do the test, the only answer that you need is CFSI. you don't need to understand it or be able to explain it any form. Just repeating the term incessantly gets you an A and your creationist diploma.

Just make sure to send me your exam fees up front :P
    Koth ... this is a Creation Science exam that you're supposed to mark ... and not some piece of Evolutionist Mantra ...
    ... we expect much higher standards than that in Creation Science!!!:)
    ... so I think we'll have get a Creation Scientist to set and mark the paper!!:eek::)

Koth ... this is a Creation Science exam that you're supposed to mark ... and not some piece of Evolutionist Mantra ... things like "we are here, so we arose spontaneously from nothing ... via a series of selected mistakes"!!!!
    ... we expect much higher standards than that in Creation Science!!!:)
    ... so I think we'll have get a Creation Scientist to set and mark the paper!!:eek::)

Sorry, I was just trying to tow the creationist lie. You know, dispose of science and just hand out faux-diplomas in an attempt to gain credibility.

and some remedial study material for you to go over :)

tumblr_m17b1jIpnp1qzzscho1_500.gif

Creationist standards are shoddy beyond belief, J C. You've demonstrated that countless times by failing utterly to provide even a simple definition for cfsi. The one you keep sh*tting out is no use for measurement, quantification, comparison or any other analysis.

Your failure to deliver anything but the same debunked crap is total admission that there never was such a definition.

And those old creationist "papers" of yours are easily the most badly written, contradictory and downright insultingly shoddy excuses for pretend science I have ever seen.

Find something peer reviewed to back your claims. Not some piece of crap that was rejected for lack of rigour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I'm just wondering how something as highly specified and complex as an eye could evercome about through a combination of random mutation ... which destroys CFSI ... and a natural/sexual selection mechanism ... for the destroyedCFSI
    Perhaps you'd like to explain it.

Here JC. You asked for someone to explain how the eye came about through evolution.

It's been addressed so what do you have to say about it?

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Yes, I would actually. First of all though, apologies to the other posters for rehashing this but these kind of bullsh1t cliched arguments really irritate me.
    No need to apologise ... please just get on with it.

Ok, first of all, I will detail a simple mechanism which through a mutation-based deterministic process, the eye can evolve from nothing.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this!!!

Then I will go on to discuss the individual steps with reference to the established research and where we find examples of these intermediate steps in nature.
    You wouldn't be confusing different separately created eye mechanism and mechanisms that have degenerated since their Creation in line with the Laws of Thermodynamics ... with your belief that these represent separate stages on a putative 'evolutionary' ... would you?

Ok, a simplified mechanism for the evolution of the human eye looks something like this.

1. A light sensitive patch of skin develops conferring an evolutionary advantage on the creature by allowing it to distinguish light from dark.
      ... so are you saying ... as the late Tommy Cooper might say ... that this happened 'just like that'???!!!
      Do you realise the the inordinate levels of Complex Functional Specified Genetic Information required to produce sustain and utilise even a simple 'light sensitive patch of skin'???

2. Through the process of selection, the light sensitive patch becomes a shallow depression in the skin, allowing for some basic directionality, allowing the creature to sense movement and possibly evade predators.
      Such a sophistated ... and complex functional and specified devlopment requires that it be produced ... before it can be selected.
      Such CFSI cannot be spontaneously produced ... even though it can be naturally or sexually selected when it's produced.
      Your theory so far is a bit short on production ... and a little long on selection. NS may explain the survival of particular beneficial structures, once they're produced by intelligent design ... but it doesn't explain the arrival of such structures.

3. Next, the increased advantage gained by directionality is exploited and the depression becomes deeper and deeper until it becomes like a pinhole camera allowing for maximum information to be gained.
      Again, a great story ... but this type of spontaneous positive change is never observed to occur with non-intelligently directed processes ... they remain static ... or degenerate if random changes are made to them.
    4. Next, the mucus produced by the cells accumulates due to the narrowed opening.
    5. Then, the mucus hardens and forms a primitive lens which acts to concentrate the incoming light.
      Another great story ... but anybody with a cold can tell you that mucus never sponteously forms a lens ... it just forms a useless snot!!!
    6. After this, the cells forming the interior surface of the eye become free to move relative to the surrounding tissue, allowing for an even greater field of vision.
      Free to move ... eh ... and they randomly moved to the perfect positions all by themselves. Have you ever seen such random processes ever spontaneously produce anything useful anywhere else???
    7. Finally, the increasing use of movement of the eye leads to the development of muscle tissue around both the eye exterior and lens, putting both under control of the creature. We now have an eye similar to our own.
    So the muscle (and the blood and the nerves, etc.) which are produced by a totally different but equally Complex and Specified collection of biomolecule all just 'happened to happen'
    Again it's a great story ... but because there is nothing to back it up ... I'm not buying it!!!

The first step in the process would seem to be the most problematic because once the ball is rolling, so to speak, the gradual refinements are easily explained by the determinism of natural selection.
    ... you keep 'jumping the gun' straight into NS (which is capable of selection) ... but you ignore the provision of any plausible mechanism for the production of the complex functional specifed systems that NS then supposely selected.

However, the development of light sensitivity is well understood and we have a living intermediate to help us understand it.
    ... do you know what are the genetic CFSI that supports this 'light sensitivity'???
    ... they are giga ... and they are tightly specified ... which mathematically rules out random processes like mutagenesis!!!

300px-Adult_Caenorhabditis_elegans.jpg

This is Caenorhabditis elegans. It is a soil-dwelling nematode. It is a well studied species, with the research dating back to the 1970s. The development of light sensistivity in C. elegans is detailed here:

A Novel Molecular Solution for Ultraviolet Light Detection in Caenorhabditis elegans.
    ... so lets look at the Abstract:-
    For many organisms the ability to transduce light into cellular signals is crucial for survival. Light stimulates DNA repair and metabolism changes in bacteria, avoidance responses in single-cell organisms, attraction responses in plants, and both visual and nonvisual perception in animals.
    All of these mechanisms involve inordinate amounts of CFSI mediated design.
    Despite these widely differing responses, in all of nature there are only six known families of proteins that can transduce light.
    ... and how long do you think it would take random mutation to produce any of these six specific proteins in a particular time and place when there is an effective infinity of nonlight transducing proteins???Although the roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans has none of the known light transduction systems, we show here that C. elegans strongly accelerates its locomotion in response to blue or shorter wavelengths of light, with maximal responsiveness to ultraviolet light. Our data suggest that C. elegans uses this light response to escape the lethal doses of sunlight that permeate its habitat. Short-wavelength light drives locomotion by bypassing two critical signals, cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and diacylglycerol (DAG), that neurons use to shape and control behaviors. C. elegans mutants lacking these signals are paralyzed and unresponsive to harsh physical stimuli in ambient light, but short-wavelength light rapidly rescues their paralysis and restores normal levels of coordinated locomotion. This light response is mediated by LITE-1, a novel ultraviolet light receptor that acts in neurons and is a member of the invertebrate Gustatory receptor (Gr) family.
    All evidence of giga-bites of CFSI ... that are both complex and highly specified.
    Heterologous expression of the receptor in muscle cells is sufficient to confer light responsiveness on cells that are normally unresponsive to light. Our results reveal a novel molecular solution for ultraviolet light detection and an unusual sensory modality in C. elegans that is unlike any previously described light response in any organism.No common acestor here with this uniquely created organism

Research has also been done on cnidaria which provided more insights into the evolution of photosensitivity.

The Origins of Novel Protein Interactions during Animal Opsin Evolution.
    Once again evidence of gazillion bites of CFSI.

The next stage in the mechanism is the development of the shallow depression and the introduction of directionality. One of the best living examples of this is the genus of flatworm known as Planaria.

240px-Polycelis_felina.jpg

This is Polycelis felina, a freshwater flatworm. One of its sister species, Polycelis auricularia has provided researchers with tremendous insight into eye evolution including:

Chance and necessity in eye evolution
    ... so again, lets look at part of the Abstract:-Darwin’s theory of evolution is based on these same principles—random variation and natural selection. One of the greatest difficulties with his theory was to explain the origins of organs of extreme perfection, like the eyes of eagles, which seem to be designed for a given purpose.
    Quite.
    Darwin (1872) found a way out of this difficulty by assuming a very simple prototypic eye consisting of just two cells, a photoreceptor cell (“nerve”) and a pigment cell, shielding the light from one side, thus allowing the animal to detect the direction of the incoming light which confers a great selective advantage.
    This is like trying to explain a super computer by using a flashlamp bulb and a battery and a knitting needle!!!

As selection can only become effective when an organ is functional, at least to a small extent, he considered the assembly of the prototypic eye as a merely stochastic event due to random variation. The pioneering work of Gregor Mendel showed that random variations were caused by mutations and that the predictions for the outcome of genetic crosses could be no more than statistical.
    Gregor Mendel also discovered that practically all mutations are deleterious and recessive ... therby indicating that we are dealing with a once-perfect Creation that is 'running down' ... and not some Evolutionist 'pipe dream' that is capable 'running up' from a Worm to a Man!!!
    Neo-Darwinists introduced genetics into evolutionary biology, but eye evolution remained enigmatic because it was assumed that the evolution of the various eye types occurred 40–60 times independently in the different animal phyla.
    Sounds like it was Direct Creation rather than common ancestry.
    New Perspectives on Eye Development and the Evolution of Eyes and Photoreceptors

The genetic control of eye development and its implications for the evolution of the various eye-types

Next, we move on to the exaggerated form of the shallow depression, namely the pinhole camera eye. Here, we turn to cephalopods as the best living example of this intermediate stage.
    These have uniquely (and intelligently designed) eyes ... and they are clearly not some 'intermediary' going nowhere in a hurry.

220px-Nautilus_profile.jpg

This is Nautilus belauensis, which is responsible for those nice shells people seem to think make good ashtrays. Not only that but studying these cephalopods has also helped us to better understand not only the evolution of the eye but also convergent evolution which dlofnep previously explained.

Charting Evolution’s Trajectory: Using Molluscan Eye Diversity to Understand Parallel and Convergent Evolution
    Parallel Creation ... and the Creation of homologous structures.
    New perspectives on eye evolution (Abstract only)

Evolution of the cephalopod head complex by assembly of multiple molluscan body parts: Evidence from Nautilus embryonic development

The last intermediate stage that we have is the development of a primitive lens due to the hardening of accumulated mucus in the pinhole camera eye. Again we also have a living example of this intermediate stage in the form of the octopus.
    ... so the Octopus has a snot in its eyes ... and can see clearly???
    ... come on oldrnwisr ... just think about what you're saying.

220px-Octopus2.jpg

Just as with the Nautilus, comparative study of the evolution of octopus eyes has provided support for convergent evolution and for the evolution of the human eye. Some more research for you to digest now.

A wide-angle gradient index optical model of the crystalline lens and eye of the octopus (Abstract only)

Comparative Analysis of Gene Expression for Convergent Evolution of Camera Eye Between Octopus and Human

Genetic mechanisms involved in the evolution of the cephalopod camera eye revealed by transcriptomic and developmental studies
    None of this has anything to do with how Human Eyes were created.

So, now JC, we have an incremental mechanism for the development of the eye from its simplest possible form to an eye roughly analagous to that possessed by humans. In nature we find each intermediate step realised through different extant creatures and we have a massive volume of research to support the evolution of the eye. Now, if you want we can move this discussion deeper and discuss the evolutionary development of thinks like rhodopsin, the molecule responsible for photosensitivity or the Pax6 gene, which plays a crucial role in eye evolution but I suspect that what I have already posted is beyond you.
    What you are doing is projecting your wordview onto aspects of the eyes of these diverse intelligently designed creatures ... and linking the whole thing up with imaginative stories.
    Finally, just one more note on the awesome power of science which you have so utterly failed to recognise. As far as the evolution of the eye is concerned we can also show that, without reference to external biological evidence, the evolution of the eye as a mathematical model poses no problems for evolution as a concept.
    Superficially, the story is a good one ... but it rapidly falls apart under closer scrutiny ... of the Complex Functional Specified Genetic Information that produces the different eyes in different organisms.

A pessimistic estimate of the time required for an eye to evolve
    Again the assumption is that necessity will result in the production of structure to meet it ... but this isn't out experience ... if you have a need ... blind nature won't ever meet it ... only the appliance of intelligence can produce structures that meet needs.

The evolution of the eye didn't pose a problem for Darwin when he wrote Origin and it doesn't pose any problem for scientists over a hundred years later but I guess dishonest charlatans like you JC would rather stick to your quote-mined bull**** than invest time in learning how things really work.
    ... more use of Ad Hominem references about me ... when you don't have the evidence to support your conrtentions.

Oh and one more thing. This is the ad hominem fallacy. Please read it and try to understand that you're talking bull**** by accusing people of making ad hominems against you.
    ... an Ad Hominem fallacy occurs when somebody abuses the person making an argument ... rather than addressing the substance of the argument that is being made.
    For example, calling me a Charalatan is a Ad Hominem attach on me ... rather than addressing the arguments that I am making.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I answered your post comprehensively
    You did not. You lied about Dawkins to start with, and your follow-ups were similarly dishonest.
    ... and please don't say that science needs to be protected from certain types of questions ... this is exactly what all dogmatic religions also say. [...] that is no reason to ban the questions ... or to censor the questioners!!!
    I haven't said it for a while, but I'll say it here, lest you think there might be some confusion on the topic. Honest questions demand honest answers, but dishonesty deserves nothing but contempt. Creationism, like the religion which acquired it, is nothing but organized dishonesty, preying upon the gullible and the uninformed for the temporary benefit of their dissolute leaderships.

No honest question will ever be banned here, but it is unacceptable for posters to post questions which elicit long and careful answers from honest forum members; answers which are then ignored because the questioner couldn't be bothered to read or even thank the reply. It takes less than five seconds to thank a post, and you clearly didn't even have that much time.

That's dishonest questioning and quite apart from forum etiquette here, even in your own terms, it effectively breaks your own ninth commandment about bearing false witness -- pretending to be one thing, when in fact, you're quite another.
    You and I both know that no unambiguous evidence for W2M Evolution has been produced on this thread ... or anywhere else.
    Masses of evidence for the evolutionary history of mankind has been produced in this thread and its predecessors by oldrnwisr, and many other posters who've come, posted their evidence, seen you ignore it, and left again. And as it was with them, so it is with oldrnwiser -- you appear too lazy or too uninterested to read it and reply with anything other than creationist clichés.

That's a problem with you, m'dear, not the evidence.

• Advertisement

That was abysmal, J C. Try harder. Try being scientific this time.

I think you need to read this again, JC.

Your attempts to address oldrnwsrs post is extremely lacking in any sort of science/detail. Most of the post is just repeating, "but it requires CFSI, which points to a creator". You also dismiss links in the post as having nothing to do with the evolution of the human eye, even though they do.

Would you not try and raise the standard of your posts to something close to the type of response that the post deserved?

And you're still using Ad Hominem incorrectly.

koth wrote: »
    Sorry, I was just trying to tow the creationist lie. You know, dispose of science and just hand out faux-diplomas in an attempt to gain credibility.

and some remedial study material for you to go over :)

So the take-home message is that Evolution doesn't mean much to anybody ... except perhaps faith-filled Evolutionists!!!:)
    Quite true.

Childish. Try harder, J C. Much harder.

So the take-home message is that Evolution doesn't mean much to anybody ... except perhaps faith-filled Evolutionists!!!:)
    Quite true.

Maybe to someone with a reading and comprehension problem. Try reading it slowly and maybe get a dictionary while you're at it. It will be illuminating to you when the information sinks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I've spent the last two evenings reading this thread from start to finish.

First, I'd like to thank oldrnwiser for his amazing posts (that I am off to re-read and follow all the linkies). I've not studied biology since my junior cert and although some of terminology in your posts was a little over my head I thouroughly enjoyed reading them and I look forward to reading more from you!

In the words of Kyle Broflowski "I learned something today!" :D

J.C. - You're fighting a losing battle here, in fact you lost a long time ago. I've read all your responses on this thread and I'm pretty certain that your getting a kick out of all the frustration you are causing by ignoring posts directed at you, avoiding/half answering questions. Grow up and argue your points evidence as clearly and concisely as oldrnwiser has done and maybe you might get somewhere.

He inspires pity, not frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The eye?

The eye?!!?!?

THE EYE?!?!!?!?!? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

J.c In your reply to oldrnwisr, it seems that you are really missing the concept of how long these processes are occurring over. Your mind is still set in it's 10,000 year theory or whatever it is.

"Another great story ... but anybody with a cold can tell you that mucus never sponteously forms a lens ... it just forms a useless snot!!!"

I mean this sentence alone shows how lacking you are in this fact. NO ONE is saying that mucus clumped together and "Spontaneously" formed a lens. That is ridiculous to say so. The Idea is that mutations caused cells around that pin hole camera type eye to produce mucus. This mucus gradually made this eye better to see. The better it could see things the better it could survive and the longer it lived to pass on its genes. The more it passed on its genes the more that mutation spread, and OVER TIME further mutations caused the mucus to harden.

I'll admit I may have gotten somethings wrong in my description but I wouldn't say I don't understand the basics at least, which you JC, seem to completely lack or blindingly ignore so that you can continue having a right old laugh at everyone in here making a fuss over your "perceived idiocy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

tumblr_m1bkv1ib691qigccso1_500.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement