Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

J C wrote: »
    I'd say that Prof Dawkins met his match in this very capable lady ... who held her own in the argument ... and told him a few home truths.

If Edward Gibbon were alive today ... he could validly say that :-
    "Evolution is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.":eek::)

Um no, she did what you do. Which is hear actual facts and then ignore them.

Even her opening talk was a give away, she only believes in Creationism because it seems better to her and makes her think people will be happy and treat eachother better.

Have to say that's not been working out to well for them the last few thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Um no, she did what you do. Which is hear actual facts and then ignore them.

Even her opening talk was a give away, she only believes in Creationism because it seems better to her and makes her think people will be happy and treat eachother better.

Have to say that's not been working out to well for them the last few thousand years.

Perhaps J C is actually Wendy..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Stop entertaining such lustful thoughts!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

They don't lie ... please stop this hate-filled dangerous nonesense!!!

... that's what racists and bigots the world over say ... 'do you think that honest people would want to work with (insert the object of your hate)??'
    Robin your intolerant illiberalism and sectarianism are not exactly doing the image of Atheism much good!!!

Kent Hovind isn't a Creation Scientist ... he is a church pastor and Creationist ... who is in Jail because he has taken the 'logic' of the separation of church and state to the point where he refused to pay taxes to the state on his church income.
    I think that he should have paid taxes on his church to the state ... but he is a man of strong principles ... and is paying the price for his principles.

Dr Andy C. McIntosh is Professor of Combustion Theory at Leeds University, U.K. His early career was focussed on aerodynamics in Cranfield. A number of his students later worked for Rolls Royce, designing aircraft engines.
    I'd say that the description that was on my list was accurate ... and I would ask you to behave in a civil manner and address people by their earned conventional qualifications ... so he is Professor MacIntosh BSc, PhD, DSc, FIMA, CMath, FInstE, CEng, FInstP, MIGEM, FRAeS to you Robin (if you don't mind).:(

Here is a summary of Professor MacIntosh's eminent Academic Career to date:-
    1970 - 1973 University College of North Wales, Bangor :

1973 BSc Degree: 1st Class Hons. in Applied Mathematics University of Wales, UCNW Bangor.
    Sept 1973 - Sept 1977 Scientific Officer, Royal Aircraft Establishment (Bedford)

1977 - 1980 Cranfield Institute of Technology, Bedford,

1981 PhD in Theory of Combustion. Title of Thesis: "Unsteady Premixed Laminar Flames". Aerodynamics Dept., Cranfield Institute of Technology. Supervisor: Professor J.F. Clarke.

Oct 1980 - Apr 1982 Research Officer (supported by DOE contract), Sch. of Mech. Eng., Cranfield Inst. of Tech.

Apr. 1982 - Sept 1984 Research Officer (supported by SERC), College of Aeronautics, Cranfield Institute of Technology.

Sept 1984 - Dec 1985 Lecturer in Mathematics, Luton College of Higher Education.

Jan 1986 - July 1995 Lecturer in Fuel and Energy Department, University of Leeds.

August 1995 Reader in Combustion Theory in Fuel and Energy Department, University of Leeds.

Aug. 1996 Appointed a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (FIMA) with Chartered Mathematician status (C. Math.).

July 1998 Awarded DSc degree : University of Wales. Title of thesis : "Mathematical modelling of unsteady combustion processes within gases, fluids and solids".

Sept. 1999 Appointed a Fellow of the Institute of Energy (FInstE) with Chartered Engineer status (C. Eng.).

Aug. 2000 Appointed Professor of Thermodynamics and Combustion Theory in Fuel and Energy Department, University of Leeds.

Jan. 2002 Appointed a Fellow of the Institute of Physics (FinstP).

Ahhhhh! I'm currently in Cranfield!!! That doesn't mean I'll be a creationist too will it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

I don't know if there is a God that created the world or not but I hope there isn't, the thoughts of spending an eternity in hell don't seem much better than the thoughts of spending an eternity with a God that has created a world where children starve while the people who preach about his existence do all they can to incite hatred and war. Surely a God would not allow children to starve while religious institutions sit on trillions of euro that could be used to ease suffering. This God creature does seem to be evil, twisted and cruel in his intentions towards mankind even if his followers try to brainwash us into thinking he loves us. But here's hoping common sense is right and that when I die I will actually be dead and not wake up to meet Jesus or I'll have a lot of explaining to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Stop entertaining such lustful thoughts!!!!:eek:

When are you going to post anything that supports creationism?

Try and move outside your comfort zone of bad jokes and ignorance of evolution. Read some of the material, let it ferment and raise your game. You could start by posting something credible that supports creationism.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

From now on, J C shall be known as Wendy!

Quite befitting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Still no details on cfsi. less than a thousand posts to go. I'm starting to worry that J C will remain dishonest and evasive to the end. :(

On a related note, has anyone from J C's list of shame published anything to back up their dumb beliefs in a peer reviewed journal? I'm assuming that anything they did get published has nothing to do with backing up creationism.

If the best they could manage was one of the disgracefully shoddy rags Answers In Genesis has the gall to call peer reviewed papers, then that list is as useless and irrelevant and dishonest as everything else J C has ever posted.

Also, put the victim card back in the bloody deck. Nobody gives a damn about your fake outrage. Provide some evidence for your position instead. If you have none, just say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

shizz wrote: »
    Ahhhhh! I'm currently in Cranfield!!! That doesn't mean I'll be a creationist too will it? :rolleyes:

I can be in Cranfield in 30 minutes. If you ever feel yourself slip contact me and I will pop round and slap some sense into you.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

This thread is becoming scarily similar to this:

... you never know!!!:)

MrPudding wrote: »
    I can be in Cranfield in 30 minutes. If you ever feel yourself slip contact me and I will pop round and slap some sense into you.

MrP
    ... you might come to slap/scoff ... but you might end up staying to pray!!!:eek::)

MrP

I appreciate the concern. :)

... you might come to slap/scoff ... but you might end up staying to pray!!!:eek::)
    Yeah, that is possible all right... but only if I have had a stroke or developed a brain tumour or am otherwise suffering from some kind of mental illness.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 God the Almighty

Hello my children

I hear some of you dont believe in me

Well here I am in all my glory

First off let me aploogise for all the Christians on here trying to disprove science.

Science (one of my creations btw) is how I reveal myself.

The Bible was a book, not a rule book but more a beginners guide to humanity
    (I mean come on Adam and Eve , Noahs Ark , no Dinosaurs even though I left ye the bones)

Now anyway I digress

Im just here to show that ye are both wrong

Deism was the correct path

I , your God , am a scientist at heart so I set up an experiment that subsequently gave birth to your universe, ,multiverse etc

So now stop all the bickering and use science to understand me and how I work in mysterious ways (When things dont go according to plan, thats when Gabriel usually tries to stray from my instructions)

Anyhow I must go, Im appearing in someones toast in the States in an hour
    Ill freak out some middle American me fearing biblethumping Christian

Laters

Hello my children

I hear some of you dont believe in me

Well here I am in all my glory

First off let me aploogise for all the Christians on here trying to disprove science.

Science (one of my creations btw) is how I reveal myself.

The Bible was a book, not a rule book but more a beginners guide to humanity
    (I mean come on Adam and Eve , Noahs Ark , no Dinosaurs even though I left ye the bones)

Now anyway I digress

Im just here to show that ye are both wrong

Deism was the correct path

I , your God , am a scientist at heart so I set up an experiment that subsequently gave birth to your universe, ,multiverse etc

So now stop all the bickering and use science to understand me and how I work in mysterious ways (When things dont go according to plan, thats when Gabriel usually tries to stray from my instructions)

Anyhow I must go, Im appearing in someones toast in the States in an hour
    Ill freak out some middle American me fearing biblethumping Christian

Laters
    God sounds awful Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 God the Almighty

God sounds awful Irish

I am sounding Irish on an Irish Website
    If this were an American website I would be speaking like an American.7

When I sent Jesus down to Earth he had to speak the native lingo and not Heavenese

I am sounding Irish on an Irish Website
    If this were an American website I would be speaking like an American.7

When I sent Jesus down to Earth he had to speak the native lingo and not Heavenese

If you really were almighty and knew everything, you'd think you could use a keyboard properly. Or would you even have to use a keyboard? :v

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

OhCrap.png?1322723607

GOD CAN'T SPELL

• Advertisement

Anyone else thing that was JC? haha Writing seems similar.

That was far too coherent to be J C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

In a bizarre coincidence, I came over for a browse (specifically to see if this thread was still going) and find my name mentioned only last week.

Good to see that all is well in the world of evolution (and astronomy and physics and geology and palaeontology and so on) versus YEC.

Hey JC, still promoting the idea that the eye is irreducibly complex?

... and for every person going public there are many others who are Creationists ... but who dare not speak it's name!!!
    ... some situation for our supposedly tolerant and liberal societies to find themselves in!!!
    ... so here is a list that puts your lies to shame:(

Have you heard of Project Steve? Basically, it's a list of scientists who support evolution and whose names are Stephen (or some such derivation, Stephanie, Esteban etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Steve

As of the 19th, there were 1200-odd Steves who signed up their support for evolution. That's more for one single first name than your entire list on answersingenesis (where scientists who simply "believe in god" are clear red herrings, hoping that one's belief in god does not hinder one's ability to be scientifically objective).

doctoremma wrote: »
    In a bizarre coincidence, I came over for a browse (specifically to see if this thread was still going) and find my name mentioned only last week.

Good to see that all is well in the world of evolution (and astronomy and physics and geology and palaeontology and so on) versus YEC.

Hey JC, still promoting the idea that the eye is irreducibly complex?
    Yeah, he was trying to peddle his usual sh1t so I referred to the your posts from quite some time ago. Of course, in his opinion he completely destroyed you argument...

A recap would be great, if you had the time.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Some modern scientists who have accepted the biblical account of creation

198672.jpg

A recap would be great, if you had the time.
    MrP

Hmm, let's see...

Why the eye is not irreducibly complex:
    1. There are many examples of simpler eyes in other organisms that operate perfectly well.
    2. People can be born without various bits of their eyes (lens, iris, sets of photoreceptors) and without certain biochemical functions and still retain some level of vision. In fact, the loss of the lens can allow a person to detect UV light - cool, huh?

Why the eye is not intelligently designed:
    1. Humans have rubbish vision compared to some other animals, notably birds. Could be refuted if we accept that humans are not the pinnacle of the evolutionary tree.
    2. Our eyes are fragile - a small knock on the head can make the back of it fall off.
    3. Our eyes are wired backwards, with a jumble of blood vessels and tissue overlaying the photoreceptors - not efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm slightly worried that i'm far more interested in biology as a result of this topic than I ever was in a biology class. I think i've also learnt more.... :D As a result of the fantastic posts by oldrnwisr and a few others, not JC....

Has there been any movement on a definition for "complex specified information" yet?

• Advertisement

Heh. No. So I guess that's over 2 years J C has completely failed to provide details. It's almost as if he has nothing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement