Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

J C wrote: »
    A plain reading of the text ... would be the obvious solution ... but it would put a lot of theologians, priests, ministers, rabbis, bishops ... and assorted Atheists, out of business ... and a lot of people wouldn't want that !!!!:)

On the contrary, many (most?) atheists are probably in favour of people reading the bible and not explaining away the awkward stuff as metaphor. A plain reading of the bible generally exposes it for the pile of codswallop that it is (posting in A+A is much more fun than in christianity).

http://www.atheist.ie/campaigns/read-the-bible-campaign/

No equivariant, you still don't understand :rolleyes: The 10 commandments are
    also metaphors, just in the places where it doesn't appear obvious :rolleyes:
    Furthermore those atheists in your link also don't understand how the
    bible is not a scientific text, biblical authors can write whatever they
    want as long as they've included enough ridiculousness - that seems to
    be the litmus test for a metaphor in this book.

Come back to me when you've studied ancient Hebrew & Greek apologetics
    interpretations of how to understand what is serious and what is not. If
    a book of this stature was given to a mainly illiterate community a few
    centuries ago it's surely understandable how we may not understand the
    impenetrable prose/meaning of such a deep book on "morality".
    After all, the word of god is something we hardly want to make difficult :)

I feel slightly dirty...

keppler wrote: »
    J C I am slightly Confused by your explanation of redshift. The final paragraph of your reply shows a link to an anomaly which seems to defy the use of stellar movement as an explanation for redshift. Thus (according to you or your 'save as' from the AIG) rendering redshift as inaccurate method of calculating astronomical distances.

J C your first paragraph clearly states "The following list summarizes some of the alternative explanations for the origin of this stellar red-shift".
    Included in the list of alternatives is Stellar Motion. are you implying that stellar drift is not the most commonly accepted cause of redshift and only an alternative????

J C what i would like to know is are you presenting the other three explanations (Gravitational Redshift, Second-Order Doppler Effect and Photon Interaction) also as means to disregard stellar movement as the primary cause of redshift and thus also rendering redshift as an inaccurate means of calculating astronomical distance??????

Tired light, as J C obviously copied just and pasted without much
    understanding, has been discounted. Furthermore this gravitational
    redshift requires a much higher density (I read this off physicsforums, I am
    currently only learning physics...).
    Is it me or do these people always use old and
    bad ideas to further their nonsense (flagella, bad cosmology, complexity, yada yada
    yada...)

I doubt you'll get an answer btw :p

OMG!!! :D J C, I found the source of your Richard Dawkins comment:

(Around 1:40)

Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having
    been designed for a purpose.

And there was me thinking you'd actually read it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

J C
    All of the supposedly vestigial organs have some function ... indeed some
    have important functions, for example, the role of the Coccyx in bipedalism
    and the appendix in maintaining healthy gut flora, especially in young
    babies.
    Loss of some CFSI after it's originaly perfect Intelligent Design at Creation
    can explain the loss of various characteristics, such as flight in Emus,
    while mis-placed hairs is evidence of degeneracy in functionality since
    Creation.

Yes of course the appendix & coccyx are going to take on these functions.
    J C the point is that their "primary" purpose is gone. This, again ;), is an
    example of natural selection. The point of the tailbone is that it shows
    common descent, J C, how do you explain a bloody tail in humans? Why
    would a tailbone that so many other species share, and something that
    can be traced back through evolutionary history,
    The primary purpose of the Appendix was, is and will be the establishment and maintenance of a healthy gut flora, especially in young babies ... and theprimary purpose of the Coccyx was, is and will be the facilitation of bipedalism ...
    ... and the 'tracing back through (non-existent) evolutionary history' is entirely a figment of Evolutionist's imaginations

It's beautiful how you explain away examples in ways that actually show
    your argument to be incorrect, it's an acquired skill :P
    Nobody claims vestigial organs are useless, I specifically said "apparent
    purpose" because it is an important distinction. The apparent inclusion of a
    tailbone is important because it's lost the function of a tailbone but held on
    to other things.
    The actual purposes of the Appendix and the Coccyx are objectively as I have described above ... and there is nothing 'apparent' about them!!!
    Oh, and you have absolutely zero evidence that the loss of functions of
    anything explains how this could be loss of functions after the flood.
    You're making stuff up here my friend and have no evidence to back it up
    The loss of function is directly observable when mutations occur ... right up to today..

J C calling it a serious design flaw .. and a smart adaptation is a contradiction[/B]
    No, no, no :eek: You've got me JC!!!! :o:(:confused::mad::eek::D:rolleyes:

You really misunderstand what I meant. It's a serious design flaw if you're
    trying to design a man who needs to be adequately protected from danger.
    I think you'll admit having something dangling is a visible target for a
    potential predator. Also, it makes you wonder seeing as most other
    mammals have internal testes. It would be safer if you were designing
    something "perfect" :rolleyes: It's a serious design flaw for a designer.
    But, from an evolutionary standpoint, i.e. a blind struggle towards
    something that will work, it makes perfect sense because keeping them
    out of the body will cool them.
    As usual, when it comes to Evolution and Evolutionist 'logic' ... the reverse is true.
    If damage is an issue then even NS would elimiate external testes ... but damage is obviously an insignificant issue ... and design ... in the externalisation of God's brilliant handi-work is there for every man (and certain privileged women) to admire !!!!

By the way that was no proper answer...
    touché!!!

J C I am slightly Confused by your explanation of redshift. The final paragraph of your reply shows a link to an anomaly which seems to defy the use of stellar movement as an explanation for redshift. Thus (according to you or your 'save as' from the AIG) rendering redshift as inaccurate method of calculating astronomical distances.

J C your first paragraph clearly states "The following list summarizes some of the alternative explanations for the origin of this stellar red-shift".
    Included in the list of alternatives is Stellar Motion. are you implying that stellar drift is not the most commonly accepted cause of redshift and only an alternative????

J C what i would like to know is are you presenting the other three explanations (Gravitational Redshift, Second-Order Doppler Effect and Photon Interaction) also as means to disregard stellar movement as the primary cause of redshift and thus also rendering redshift as an inaccurate means of calculating astronomical distance??????
    The 'jury is out' on redshift as a means of calculating stellar distance, both because of the alternative explanations ... and the question marks over the Big Bangf / Universal Expansion theory that underpins the supposed link between redshift and stellar distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

The 'jury is out' on redshift as a means of calculating stellar distance, both because of the alternative explanations ... and the question marks over the Big Bangf / Universal Expansion theory that underpins the supposed link between redshift and stellar distance.

Only in the fairy land you live in.

Just got my hands on John May's book ... he IS one of YOU guys!!!

He seems to be the ultimate skeptic ... about almost everything ... the only difference between him and you guys is that he is also skeptical about Evolution!!!

John May illustrates his skepticism by devoting a separate chapter in his book to 'rubbishing' as myths ... or worse ... Organised Religion, the Immortality of the Soul, Hellfire, Magic and Psychics and Holy Books ... all standard Skeptic 'fare'!!!!

His only 'error' appears to be the fact that he also' rubbishes' Evolution!!!

I disagree profundly with some of his views on the above topics ... but I would staunchly defend his academic freedom to express them.

Obviously such liberalism doesn't seem to be a feature of the so-called 'skeptics' on this thread ... where judgemental denial seems to be the order of the day when the central tenet of their religious faith (Evolution) is questioned!!!

I guess, when it come to faith, and the right of people to hold and express differences of opinon on matters of belief I am a 'liberal' ... and you guys are ... 'illiberal'!!!:eek:

OMG!!! :D J C, I found the source of your Richard Dawkins comment:

(Around 1:40)

Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having
    been designed for a purpose.

And there was me thinking you'd actually read it :rolleyes:
    I can, of course, read myself ...
    ... and I have read the Blind Watchmaker!!!

... even the title of Prof Dawkins' book illustrates the irony of its thesis ... a blind human watchmaker wouldn't be able to produce and assemble the fine detail and CFSI in a watch ... and ditto with any other 'blind watchmaker' being able to produce the fine detail and CFSI in living organisms!!!

Seven Anti-Evolution quotes chosen by John May:-

Britain's New Scientist observed that "an increasing number of scientists, most particularly a growing number of evolutionists ... argue that Darwinian evolutionary theory is no genuine scientific theory at all ... Many of the critics have the highest intellectual credentials".

When a special centennial edition of Darwin's Origin of Species was to be published W.R. Thompson, then director of the Commonwealth Institute of Biological Control, was invited to write an introduction. He said, "As we know, there is great divergence of opinion among biologists, not only about the causes of evolution, but even about the actual process.
    This divergence exists because the evidence is unsatisfactory and does not permit any certain conclusion. It is therefore right and proper to draw the attention to the non-scientific public to the disagreements about evolution."

Summarising some of the unsolved problems confronting evolution, Francis Harding observed: "In three crucial areas where (the modern evolution theory) can be tested, it has failed: The fossil record reveals a pattern of evolutionary leaps rather than gradual change. Genes are a powerful stabilizing mechanism whose main function is to prevent new forms evolving. Random step-by-step mutations at the molecuar level cannot explain the organised and growing complexity of life."

"Evolution is a fairy tale for grown-ups. This theory has helped nothing in the progress of science. It is useless." Professor Louis Bounoure, former President og the Biological Society of Strasbourg.

"Scientists who go about teaching that evolution is a fact of life are great con-men, and the story they are telling may be the greatest hoax ever. In expalining evolution we do not have one iota of fact." Dr T. N. Tahmisian of the United States Atomic Energy Commission.

"The theories of evolution, with which our studious youth have been deceived, constitute actually a dogma that the entire world continues to teach: but each, in his speciality, the zoologist or the botanist, ascertains that none of the explanations furnished is adequate. It results from this summary, that the theory of evolution is impossible." Paul Lemoine, Director of the Natural History Museum Paris recognising the lack of evidence as early as 1937.

"I myself am convinced that the theory of evolution, especially the extent to which it's been applied, will be one of the great jokes in the history books of the future." Malcolm Muggeridge, world famous journalist and philosopher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deanjdk

A video response made by youtube user Mrodub and myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbt-b8cA2pw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seven Anti-Evolution quotes chosen by John May
    Quotewall -- bzzzt!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

JC,
    Still trying to understand ID/Creationism and the evidence.
    Would I be correct in saying that under ID/Creationism the whole animal and plant kingdom and planet etc were created as they appear today? So the human species was created as it is today? Does that included all the various forms of humans, ie. races?

If so it does bother me a bit that as a form of intelligent design, white people would be created since this poses a serious threat to health, sun exposure and the link to cancer. Also why would some races have blood borne alcohol dehydrogenase and others not, again serious health implications with regard increased risk of the health problems associated with alcohol?

Whilst I'm on a but of a role. The presence of sickle cell anaemia in certain populations is easily explainable using evolution/natural selection but I'm not sure a creator would use such a detrimental and crude mechanism to bestow the same benefits, what do you think?

robindch wrote: »
    Quotewall -- bzzzt!
    ... mbeep ... mbeep!!!:)

Fluffybums wrote: »
    JC,
    Still trying to understand ID/Creationism and the evidence.
    Would I be correct in saying that under ID/Creationism the whole animal and plant kingdom and planet etc were created as they appear today? So the human species was created as it is today? Does that included all the various forms of humans, ie. races?
    We are all descended from one man 'Y-Chromosome Adam' and one woman 'Mitochondrial Eve' ... whose diverse genomes contained the genetics that has given rise to all of the races of Mankind.
    We are all truly one blood and cousins!!!
    Fluffybums wrote: »
    If so it does bother me a bit that as a form of intelligent design, white people would be created since this poses a serious threat to health, sun exposure and the link to cancer. Also why would some races have blood borne alcohol dehydrogenase and others not, again serious health implications with regard increased risk of the health problems associated with alcohol?

Whilst I'm on a but of a role. The presence of sickle cell anaemia in certain populations is easily explainable using evolution/natural selection but I'm not sure a creator would use such a detrimental and crude mechanism to bestow the same benefits, what do you think?
    The white variants originally migrated away from high sun areas ... and the darker skinned people migrated towards the high sun areas ... a form of Natural/Environmental Selection. Mutagenesis after the Fall caused various diseases and other genetic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

We are all descended from one man 'Y-Chromosome Adam' and one woman 'Mitochondrial Eve' ... whose diverse genomes contained the genetics that has given rise to all of the races of Mankind.

The white variants originally migrated away from high sun areas ... and the darker skinned people migrated towards the high sun areas ... a form of Natural/Environmental Selection. Mutagenesis after the Fall caused various diseases and other genetic problems.

So let me get this straight, a combination of genetic variation within Adam and Eve along with natural/environmental selection gives rise to the various races?

How do the mutations arise?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

J C through reading all of your replies on this thread I thought that you would never cease to amaze me however...confused.gif By saying that "The jury is out" on this matter you are inadvertently making yourself the jury! No self-respecting physicist would for one second use these theories as a viable explanation for the shear amount of redshifted galaxies in the universe. It also highlights the shortfall in your meager understanding of physics to adequately explain and/or debate your arguments from a 'creationist science' (a phenomenon in its own rite) website.mad.gif
    Anyway...
    J C I am going to going to conclude from your answer to my question that yes, YOU do think these other possible explanations for redshift are a viable cause for this effect and therefore (according to you,the jury and executioner) render redshift as an unreliable method of calculating distance!
    I will aslo take it that you do not acknowledge expansion theory as being a plausible one and therefore according to you (the jury) also renders redshift an unreliable method for distance calculation.

Just one more question J C. By implying that using redshift as a means to calculate distance is not an accurate method, are you ultimately trying to say that our deductions of 13.5 gigayrs (approx) for the age of the universe is therefore wrong and that God really did create the heavens 6000 years ago?????????

Tired light, as J C obviously copied just and pasted without much
    understanding, has been discounted. Furthermore this gravitational
    redshift requires a much higher density (I read this off physicsforums, I am
    currently only learning physics...).
    Is it me or do these people always use old and
    bad ideas to further their nonsense (flagella, bad cosmology, complexity, yada yada
    yada...)

I doubt you'll get an answer btw :p

You hit the nail on the head sponsoredwalk. This 'Tired Light' hypothesis originated solely as a proposal with very little evidence to back it up and to this day no evidence has been found to support it but much to oppose it!
    This is another perfect example of creationist websites boasting evidence like this to support their claims. Evidence which uses complex,extravegant and strange words which on the face of it appear to hold merit but really, are just there to bamboozle uneducated creationists such as J C.

J C clearly didnt understand what tired light or photon interaction actually meant while he was copying and pasting it. The reason I know this is because what 'AnswersinGenesis' didnt tell J C is that if 'Tired Light' theory were ever proved, it would still actually support redshift as a viable means of calculating distance!

incidentally sponsoredwalk how are you finding physics in general? i am only recently delving into genetics but can honestly say that im finding it mainly difficult, not so much through lack of understanding but volume to remember.
    speaking of a lack of understanding! Look at J C's responce to "loss of function and The Flood"rolleyes.gif forgive me if im wrong sponsoredwalk but, is'nt loss of function through mutation a clear example that evolution does exist whether its due to a flood or some other disaster in nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Seven Anti-Evolution quotes chosen by John May:-

"Evolution is a fairy tale for grown-ups. This theory has helped nothing in the progress of science. It is useless." Professor Louis Bounoure, former President og the Biological Society of Strasbourg.

"The theories of evolution, with which our studious youth have been deceived, constitute actually a dogma that the entire world continues to teach: but each, in his speciality, the zoologist or the botanist, ascertains that none of the explanations furnished is adequate. It results from this summary, that the theory of evolution is impossible." Paul Lemoine, Director of the Natural History Museum paris recognising the lack of evidence as early as 1937.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ce/3/part12.html

so typical of creationist lies. Shameless lying by both May and J C

Why do people laugh at John J May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

deanjdk wrote: »
    Why do people laugh at John J May

No offense man, but 4 out of 5 of your posts have been posting this link. It just amounts to spam tbh, there's no need to do it.

Good video though!

• Advertisement

just spreading it before this topic goes off the radar..didnt realise i had already posted in this thread

J C wrote:
    The loss of function is directly observable when mutations occur ... right up to today..

This just refutes your whole argument. Another one of those brilliantly
    ironic utterances out of your own e-mouth :D You agree with the idea of
    those "evolutionists", that mutations occur, but for some reason you
    are arguing with me... So strange :confused:
    J C wrote:
    The primary purpose of the Appendix was, is and will be the establishment and maintenance of a healthy gut flora, especially in young babies ...
    and theprimary purpose of the Coccyx was, is and will be the facilitation of bipedalism ...
    ... and the 'tracing back through (non-existent) evolutionary history' is entirely a figment of Evolutionist's imaginations
    This is like leading a lamb to the slaugherhouse, I mean it's so ridiculous
    how you trip yourself up :)

How does your miraculous explanation account for people born without a tailbone?
    I don't see the correlation to "bipedalism" in these circumstances :rolleyes:
    I suppose these people walk funny eh? :D What a joke J C...

Need we mention people being born without appendices? :pac:
    Also, I'm glad you know better than wikipedia who characterize these
    functions as secondary but of course wikipedia is wrong because anybody
    can alter it & your creationist, sorry, ID websites are obviously more credible :P

By the way, nothing you've written gives us any reason to believe your
    fairytale theory :)
    The actual purposes of the Appendix and the Coccyx are objectively as I have described above ... and there is nothing 'apparent' about them!!!
    :rolleyes:

As usual, when it comes to Evolution and Evolutionist 'logic' ... the reverse is true.
    If damage is an issue then even NS would elimiate external testes ... but damage is obviously an insignificant issue ... and design ... in the externalisation of God's brilliant handi-work is there for every man (and certain privileged women) to admire !!!!
    J C, if those people who were born with external testes could not survive
    due to their external thingamajigs then they, I mean we, would not be
    around today. We survived & obviously this was not enough of a flaw to
    ruin the survival of the species. Now, you've only responded to what I've
    said with putting it down and then saying the magic man made things the
    way they are - so there :P Again, if you're willing to be swayed by this
    ridiculous logic more power to you, just don't try to get any real power
    or you'll have a lot of people on your case ;)

Again, nothing you've written gives us any reason to believe your
    fairytale theory ;)

I can, of course, read myself ...
    ... and I have read the Blind Watchmaker!!!

... even the title of Prof Dawkins' book illustrates the irony of its thesis ... a blind human watchmaker wouldn't be able to produce and assemble the fine detail and CFSI in a watch ... and ditto with any other 'blind watchmaker' being able to produce the fine detail and CFSI in living organisms!!!

J C, I hate to break it to you, but there is no blind watchmaker aiming to
    make fine detail... There is absolutely no way you understood that book if you wrote the above.

Therefore evolution didn't happen confused.gif

You're using evolution to explain this my friend, strange stuff rolleyes.gif

Therefore evolution didn't happen biggrin.gif

This, again, is evolution you're talking. J C when will the irony end with you?

I'm sure you know how mitochondrial eve oiginated under your fairytale
    thesis, right? I'd like to hear it smile.gif

You hit the nail on the head sponsoredwalk. This 'Tired Light' hypothesis originated solely as a proposal with very little evidence to back it up and to this day no evidence has been found to support it but much to oppose it!
    This is another perfect example of creationist websites boasting evidence like this to support their claims. Evidence which uses complex,extravegant and strange words which on the face of it appear to hold merit but really, are just there to bamboozle uneducated creationists such as J C.

J C clearly didnt understand what tired light or photon interaction actually meant while he was copying and pasting it. The reason I know this is because what 'AnswersinGenesis' didnt tell J C is that if 'Tired Light' theory were ever proved, it would still actually support redshift as a viable means of calculating distance!

incidentally sponsoredwalk how are you finding physics in general? i am only recently delving into genetics but can honestly say that im finding it mainly difficult, not so much through lack of understanding but volume to remember.
    speaking of a lack of understanding! Look at J C's responce to "loss of function and The Flood"rolleyes.gif forgive me if im wrong sponsoredwalk but, is'nt loss of function through mutation a clear example that evolution does exist whether its due to a flood or some other disaster in nature?

Yeah man, it's like the 2012 stuff, sounds so important when you hear of
    the alignment of the galaxies and all this amazingly complicated stuff...
    It's unfortunate that these people fail to explain that this happens every
    year on 2012 :D Similarly with J C and his ilk, get some official sounding
    stuff from the world of physics and claim it accords with your woo-woo
    & you've got a website & 100,000 hits in no time :D

For me physics is a bit strange, I worked through most of the Newtonian
    mechanics portion of the book with little math, then went back to get my
    math up to speed and came back but felt the explanations were really
    lacking so I am now working through an engineering text to get deep into it
    before moving on to waves & E&M. I know I should just plow through the
    text but really I'd prefer a solid knowledge of the basics before moving on.
    How about you? By the way with genetics I'd advise you working through a
    basic college text on Bio before jumping into hardcore genetics, It may not
    be necessary for you but I would think it'd be better.

deanjdk wrote: »
    A video response made by youtube user Mrodub and myself

Man, nice video! I'm glad you pwned him royally here :D Did you get the
    Dr. Cox thing from King Mob earlier in the thread btw, this post? :p
    His comment about evolution producing oxygen is the, hands down,
    the most ridiculous thing he's said. I'm glad Gene Wilder had the power to
    convey that though & I'm glad you had enough sense to throw that in :pac:
    I tip my Willy Wonka hat sir :cool: I haven't a clue what he
    was trying to say! Was he trying to talk about air & carbon dioxide?

It is possible that light waves exchange energy during their movement across space and lose some energy in the process. A loss of light energy is equivalent to a "reddening" of its light. The red sunsets at dusk are a form of redshift dues to energy loss in the atmosphere ... and nobody is arguing that the Sun is moving away from the Earth ... or that you can measure the distance to the Sun using it!!!

... the point is that a loss of information is going in the wrong direction to what is required to 'evolve' pondkind CFSI into the much greater Mankind CFSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It is possible that light waves exchange energy during their movement across space and lose some energy in the process. A loss of light energy is equivalent to a "reddening" of its light.
    No it's not.
    You clearly have issues dealing with junior cert physics.
    The red sunsets at dusk are a form of redshift dues to energy loss in the atmosphere ...
    No it's not.
    That's not how a red-shift works. That's not how light works. That's not why sunsets sets are red.
    and nobody is arguing that the Sun is moving away from the Earth ... or that you can measure the distance to the Sun using it!!!
    Mainly because it's not a red-shift, also because that's not how physics works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

But i don't think the Y Adam and Mitochondrial Eve as termed by geneticists existed at the same time.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ce/3/part12.html

so typical of creationist lies. Shameless lying by both May and J C
    There was no reference to the CNRS in the quote attributed to Prof Louis Bounoure.
    Your link confirms that he is Former President of the Biological Society of Strasbourg.

Interestingly your link also stated the following about a leading French scientist Prof Paul Lemoine :-

"As far as Paul Lemoine is concerned, he is indeed a "famous French scientist" since he was the director of the National Museum of Natural History. In the Encyclopedie Francaise [French Encyclopedia, circa 1950s], volume 5, he wrote the following: "It results from this explanation that the theory of evolution is not exact ... Evolution is a kind of dogma which its own priests no longer believe, but which they uphold for the people. It is necessary to have the courage to state this if only so that men of a future generation may orient their research into a different direction."

• Advertisement

For me physics is a bit strange, I worked through most of the Newtonian
    mechanics portion of the book with little math, then went back to get my
    math up to speed and came back but felt the explanations were really
    lacking so I am now working through an engineering text to get deep into it
    before moving on to waves & E&M. I know I should just plow through the
    text but really I'd prefer a solid knowledge of the basics before moving on.
    How about you? By the way with genetics I'd advise you working through a
    basic college text on Bio before jumping into hardcore genetics, It may not
    be necessary for you but I would think it'd be better.

Yes sponsored walk. The basics are absolutely vital in physics. Without which you will never understand theoretical physics or the arguments for or against theories.
    I can understand why you find it strange as I find genetics strange mainly because you dont really think from a practical and spacial point of view as you should in physics.
    Look i dont want you to feel insulted or anything but even a higher level leaving cert physics book is enough to give a fairly good understanding of the basics(this course is surprisingly comprehensive in mechanics, light etc but yet dosn't get bogged down in Newtonian laws) But i assume that you did Science at Uni. in which case you probably would have done physics modules before specializing in genetics?
    i dont really know why you are following an engineering text, I did engineering degree at uni but to be honest i would try and revolve around basic thoery and experimental proof.
    as for me and genetics im ashamed to admit that i havn't even got a basic understanding of the basics yetfrown.gif so when you mention txt books sponsoredwalk im looking for something along the lines of 'genetics for dummies'. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement