Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation needed

Options
  • 13-09-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hey,

I already have an atx case, 550W power supply, hard drive and dvd. I also have 2 monitors, 24" and 30". I need a motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card. Nothing too powerful, just need the 30" running at a 2560x1600 resolution and something that I can get 2 or 3 years out off. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be great as I'm not really up to speed with compatability between motheboard/memory/graphics card etc. Budget doesnt matter too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well if your not looking into anything too heavy i would go with a AMD x4 955 BE or an AMD x6 (great value) and then a AM3 socket motherboard (my own choice would be the ASUS crosshair Formula IV but you can find cheaper as this is top of the line AM3) 4 gigs of DDR3 Ram, GPU really depends on what you will be doing with the pc, if you will be doing some light gaming i would go for a ati 5770 or a nvidia gtx 460, also what brand is your PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭suilen

PSU is a Cosair 550W or maybe 500W actually and the case is a COOLER MASTER Storm Scout PC Tower Case if that matters. Was thinking of going with an intel for the CPU, just because I always used them, any reason to go for AMD instead? The PC will be just used for poker so the most important thing is to have the 2560x1600 resolution on the 30" as I need the space, no real heavy gaming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No 3D gaming at all? Phew! :o

Gaming + 2560*1600 monitor = GTX460 1GB as a bare minimum :eek:

Solitaire wrote: »
    No 3D gaming at all? Phew! :o

Gaming + 2560*1600 monitor = GTX460 1GB as a bare minimum :eek:

No dont think so, the monitor is a dell 3007, link here: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/monitors/topics/en/monitor_3007wfp?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=specs

Dont mind spending a few hundred on the last few bits I need either, so I'll probably go for something mid range that will do me for a while but not something for just a serious gamer or anything extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

suilen wrote: »
    PSU is a Cosair 550W or maybe 500W actually and the case is a COOLER MASTER Storm Scout PC Tower Case if that matters. Was thinking of going with an intel for the CPU, just because I always used them, any reason to go for AMD instead? The PC will be just used for poker so the most important thing is to have the 2560x1600 resolution on the 30" as I need the space, no real heavy gaming.

well intel will cost you more than AMD and you dont really need the extra CPU power if your not doing anything taxing on the system (although you could look at an i5 build as they arnt that expensive) as for the psu it should be grand as its a corsair and you really dont need anything more powerful than a 550W if your not putting heavy duty components into it, GPU id just get the 1 gig gtx 460 just in case you ever want to game (gigibyte has a 1 gig for just under €200 on pixmania right now just bought one myself)

• Advertisement

Ok, cool, thanks for the help, so if I went for the GTX 460: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6192970/art/msi/geforce-gtx-460-768-mb-gd.html

and the intel core-i5 here: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6214343/art/intel/core-i5-760-2-8-ghz-8-mb.html

Which mother board and ram would you suggest? just wanna make sure that I get everything thats compatible.

And I forgot to say I have 64bit windows 7 as well already.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think you misunderstood - if you don't intend on 3D gaming on the system (just poker etc.) then you don't need to flush the extra €200 for the aforementioned card down the drain :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood - if you don't intend on 3D gaming on the system (just poker etc.) then you don't need to flush the extra €200 for the aforementioned card down the drain :o

Ah ok, could you suggest a bundle that would do the job for me?

Been skimming through the budget sticky, if i went for the mother board, cpu, memory and graphics card you recommended in this post would that cover me? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67938790&postcount=515

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Interested in Folding while you play poker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sapphire HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express
    Intel Core i5-750
    Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
    4GB-Kit GEIL Black Dragon

€413.24 from hardwareversand. should see you ok for a few years.

• Advertisement

Sapphire HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express
    Intel Core i5-750
    Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
    4GB-Kit GEIL Black Dragon

€413.24 from hardwareversand. should see you ok for a few years.
    Swap that mobo out for the P55A version. Also, if you're not going to be gaming or stressing the GPU, then might I suggest you go for something passive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

So, what's wrong with my suggestion, or are you just nit-picking? :)

It'll do the OP fine for the next few years.

So, what's wrong with my suggestion, or are you just nit-picking? :)

It'll do the OP fine for the next few years.
    H55 lacks RAID support and I THINK it might have fewer PCIe slots and SATA ports.

Advertisement