Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister of State for Science to launch anti-science book!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Is this **** for real :eek:

First the Blasphemy Bill and now this?

My list of why not to vote FF grows, hey maybe I should publish it as a book :P

I bet Conor Lenihan would launch it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Maybe it's because Papa Razzi will be in the neighbouring parish this week, having to deal with all those "pagan English". A bit of a rallying cry for him so as he knows he's not alone in Neverland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think every scientist and science teacher will be pretty disgusted too - if not peeved off by this direct dig at them and their lifes works.

..And if you upset one teacher, lord knows the rest will probably stand behind them!

Next year at school:
    Lesson one: How to lose thousands of votes in one night! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Er, sorry, could a mod move this to humour. I mean this is a joke - right? RIGHT?

smcgiff wrote: »
    Er, sorry, could a mod move this to humour. I mean this is a joke - right? RIGHT?

So far - it appears not!

http://www.atheist.ie/2010/09/science-minister-lenihan-to-launch-book-calling-evolution-a-hoax/

politics.ie thread: http://www.politics.ie/education-science/138007-conor-lenihan-minster-science-launch-anti-evolution-book.html

Absolutely blommin' unreal - truly an abuse of the very office he holds!
    Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

mike65 wrote: »
    Conor Linehan is on twitter

http://twitter.com/ConorLenihanTD

Give him a tweet.

I had to laugh when i clicked and saw he has a whole two followers on twitter :D
    Guess we know who'll be voting for him next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Some of his arguments are gas.

Spend a week in a tree and see if you like it => therefore we couldn't have evolved from apes

We could not have evolved from the sea because if you spend an hour in the bath your skin goes wrinkly.

Seriously.... wtf

http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/index-4.html

In summary, he's a dropout who has never studied the sciences he's denouncing, he's a failed entrepreneur, a failed actor, a failed musician, a failed poet, a failed DJ, he's likely obsessive-compulsive, and a religious bigot who claims to be popular in regions where religious bigots are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is now spreading across the blog-o-sphere. I've e-mailed Matt Cooper with a link hopefully he'll try to get to the launch at 8 pm.

edit - Got e-mail back, says he's going to cover it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

I enjoyed PZ Myers take on this, seems he's familiar with our politicians.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/how_about_the_irish_minister_o.php

Lenihan doesn't seem to have any actual qualifications in science. I think he needs a change of title.

By the way, you can write to Lenihan and let him know what you think. Be nice — laughing at his foolishness will be more effective than snarling at him. It might be especially effective to write to the Irish Times or the Independent and let them know there is a local politician doing something stupid, which is always good entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

[-0-] wrote: »
    http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/index-4.html

In summary, he's a dropout who has never studied the sciences he's denouncing, he's a failed entrepreneur, a failed actor, a failed musician, a failed poet, a failed DJ, he's likely obsessive-compulsive, and a religious bigot who claims to be popular in regions where religious bigots are.

Didn't make it past "I am like Abraham Lincoln.." - hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Satire or elaborate hoax? Or is he just another businessman FF are connected to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This is ripping through the internet tubes. Graham Linehan has just tweeted about it.

Shocking behavior from our Science minister. If he does not believe in evolutionary science he should not have accepted this brief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The quote uses the - er - word "mataphysical".

So that would imply that it's a pisstake or the author hasn't a f**king clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Science, Health, Agriculture and Finance should be positions given to people who have experience and expertise in those areas, not just jobs for the boyos.

I think I am angrier though that our minister deems it an acceptable use of time to launch commercial ventures for friends and family. Whatever about opening up shopping centres which offer employment, this is purely done so he can eat canapes, have nice drinks and have an opportunistic chin-wag with anyone who will give him time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭buzzdroid

jumpguy wrote: »
    Was watching some of the videos on the website...

Apparently evolution can be disproved by throwing 15 tennis balls around...

Anyway, I seriously thought this was a hoax. If Conor Lenihan really has nothing better to be doing than attending the launch of this book...

holy crap.. we need a new age of enlightenment folks. its the only way to beat these religious nutjobs.

and yes, that includes you Islamic nutters too.

absolutely gobsmacking that video. the level of ignorance and sheer dumbness is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

then-a-miracle-occurs-cartoon.png

mike65 wrote: »
    This is now spreading across the blog-o-sphere. I've e-mailed Matt Cooper with a link hopefully he'll try to get to the launch at 8 pm.

edit - Got e-mail back, says he's going to cover it tomorrow

well done. nice one. should be a big one for Matt.

i'll email George Hook as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Can't believe people are still bringing up the kebab incident five years later

I think it represents a real ugly point in Ireland recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the page was edited to remove his title, but done badly, so its now FLASHING that he is the Minister for Science! lol

from the site
    7 reasons why i detest and reject evolution

1: It teaches us to be satisfied with - not understanding origins.
    2: It promotes the dangerous nonsense of no first cause - no supreme scientist and suggests order came from disorder.
    3: It is a mataphysical speculation, a doctrine dressed up in scientific garb.
    4: Anyone who teaches evolution is either ignorant or deliberately suppressing the known scientific facts.
    5: It is a toxic poisonous mind virus which destroys the hearts immune system against hope and common sense.
    6: It is an anaesthetic against reason.
    7: It cripples sanity, promotes myths, obscures reality and elevates matter above a maker.

this HAS to be a hoax..? surely nobody could be THAT ignorant, besides say a 5 year old child?

i'm calling hoax on this. anyone called conor lenihans office to confirm this?

zuroph wrote: »
    the page was edited to remove his title, but done badly, so its now FLASHING that he is the Minister for Science! lol

original here

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/30458/127451.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

buzzdroid wrote: »

absolutely gobsmacking that video. the level of ignorance and sheer dumbness is astounding.

Yea I totally agree, I am now convinced were related to turnips and Bananas, some as in this video more closely related than others, its evolutionary proof in itself, But each to their own I guess, Im more than a little dissapointed to hear a member of the govenment never mind the science minister is actually backing this.

So much to the knowledge economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Remember FF's last great contribution to science?
    It was Mary Coughlan and "Einsteins Theory of Evolution" exactly one year ago.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/coughlans-no-einstein-after-gaffe-at-smart-economy-launch-1890227.html

Conor is obviously hoping to mark the anniversary :pac:

But then,
    this is the same Conor Lenihan who five years ago described Turkish workers in Ireland as ‘kebabs’ during a Parliamentary debate. Lenihan was then Minister for Overseas Development and Human Rights; in the magical world of Irish politics, he was later appointed Minister for Immigration policy.

BTW does anyone else think that author guy (May) sounds like a deranged version of Eamonn Dunphy?

buzzdroid wrote: »
    ...i'm calling hoax on this. anyone called conor lenihans office to confirm this?
    oceanclub wrote: »
    ...I just rang Lenihan's constituency office and yes, it was confirmed that this is absolutely true...
    From the very first post.
    Then there are further links with info afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Don't normally sign up to facebook groups, but meh, this group needs more members:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=152612418096887

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Well, look on the bright side: At least this time the ignorance and willingness to do anything for a pal that is the hallmark of Fianna Fail politicians isn't going to cost us €XX billion.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Well, look on the bright side: At least this time the ignorance and willingness to do anything for a pal that is the hallmark of Fianna Fail politicians isn't going to cost us €XX billion.....

Assuming, of course, that someone who was considering Ireland as somewhere to put a high-tech business doesn't go "oh, maybe not, then".

Ah, well, it's bad enough without that, anyway.

sadly,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement