Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good broadband service?

• 13-09-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Ok, I'm not very hi tech with any of this computer stuff, but at the moment I have an eircom "dongle" which provides a mobile broadband service for €20 a month, but my subscription is expiring. I now need two in the house as there'll be two of us studying, but don't necessarily want wireless. Can anyone recommend anything? What is the cheapest and best option out there?

Thank you
    :)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

nala65 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm not very hi tech with any of this computer stuff, but at the moment I have an eircom "dongle" which provides a mobile broadband service for €20 a month, but my subscription is expiring. I now need two in the house as there'll be two of us studying, but don't necessarily want wireless. Can anyone recommend anything? What is the cheapest and best option out there?

Thank you

Location, location, location.

The best thing to do is find out what service providers are available, list them out and list the pros and cons of each. The best thing to do is think about what your priority is. From experience I would say your priority is one or more of the following;

Cost
    Speed
    Up/down allowance
    Consistency of service
    Ping speeds
    Additional service availability (TV, phone packs etc).
    Mobility of service
    Additional equipment (wireless routers etc.)

The list really can go on and on so it is good to focus on what you are looking for and slim down your list of potential candidates before you approach specific providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

nala65 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend anything? What is the cheapest and best option out there?

Thank you

That very much depends on where you are based.

The choices are :

DSL (phone line)
    UPC (cable, mostly urban areas)
    Fixed wireless
    (This delivers the signal to your house just like the above two choices and how you distribute the signal around is your responsibility)
    Wimax
    Mobile midband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

While I would recommend some sort of proper broadband over midband you are currently using, if you are looking for the cheapest possible route and are happy with the service you are getting from the 3G dongle. Then it is possible for you to get a 3G router which will share the connection over WiFi to more than one laptop at a time. Obviously you are sharing your connection so I doubt you would be able to view multiple youtube streams at the same time, but it should be okay for light browsing.

Still would recommend proper broadband first though.

Advertisement