Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Leinster RR Champs

• 13-09-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I get this information from irish cycling:

"Leinster Sun 19-Sep RR A*,A1,A2,A3,A4 Leinster RR Championships Laois CC Angelo O'Connor 087 2420195 100k 10.30, 12.00 Senior Midway Hotel, Portlaoise"

Any more details than that? What is the course like? (I think it was used 3 years ago) - anyone got a map/description of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Fancy your chances for it RT or you depending on hilly course? Worth putting a tenner on you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Fancy your chances for it RT or you depending on hilly course? Worth putting a tenner on you?

I'm pretty fit at the moment and was just wondering the style of course - I'm racing it regardless. Just find it a little funny that there is not much information available.

Hilly just means that the selection points in the race are a little more straightforward. Of course I would rather hilly - but hey, it is Ireland and for 90% of races there seems to be an alergy over anything greater than a drag or a short ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Maybe organise a hilly race yourself instead of critising volunteers who are not catering for your needs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

wat time starting at, 12 or 1pm???

and I heard its separate races, something like A+/A1 = 11k, A2/A3 = 100k and A4 = 60k, is there truth in that??

Maybe organise a hilly race yourself instead of critising volunteers who are not catering for your needs?

Tried to last year - hill climb champs infact... not too many wanted to go along with it from my MTB club (which is understandable - we ran a lot of other races last year, just not on the ROAD).

I also run low key TTs from time to time...

The problem as see it with running races on difficult terrain is people may not go as it is 'too-hard' a course, so you can't get the numbers. Look at the Shay Elliot race for instance... low numbers these last two years.

Not too sure what the answer is - Ras Mumhan, which was hilly enough, was a great success. Des Hanlon has a reasonable amount of climb but nothing crazy - huge numbers... The races up in Donegal are great (check out my blog and the praise I always give those guys), great course, but less numbers - it is a long way up though.

The sportif crowd is the opposite - the tougher the better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

If it the course i remember, it is basically flat with a drag on the back road about 1km long and 2 short ramps on the main rd section only about 200/300 metres long. Might have my distances a bit wrong its a while since i was on those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

smithslist wrote: »

something like A+/A1 = 11k, A2/A3 = 100k and A4 = 60k, is there truth in that??

I know there hasn't been many races for them lately,but surely the A1's are up to more than that !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Some details in this document.

Some details in this document.

Cool - thanks for that. 110k, cool. I hope we get the A1 count. Nice to see the A3s get a good length race and a standalone for the A4.

Don't forget - Swords have a hill climb race on the Saturday evening before hand too - a good leg opener? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

not a hilly course lads similar in profile to national b championships last week, 1.5km drag about 5km from finish, flat finish on the main road.
    good safe course
    3 races A1/A2 100km, A3 80km, A4 60km + the under age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

Think this is the route. Roll out from the Maldron hotel via town centre and on to the course.
    The start and finish are my guess from the poster map

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/-portlaoise/662128456695173266

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

sav1 wrote: »
    Think this is the route. Roll out from the Maldron hotel via town centre and on to the course.
    The start and finish are my guess from the poster map

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/-portlaoise/662128456695173266

Great! Will be able to roll out the bed and on to the start line :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Tried to last year - hill climb champs infact... not too many wanted to go along with it from my MTB club (which is understandable - we ran a lot of other races last year, just not on the ROAD).

I also run low key TTs from time to time...

The problem as see it with running races on difficult terrain is people may not go as it is 'too-hard' a course, so you can't get the numbers. Look at the Shay Elliot race for instance... low numbers these last two years.

Not too sure what the answer is - Ras Mumhan, which was hilly enough, was a great success. Des Hanlon has a reasonable amount of climb but nothing crazy - huge numbers... The races up in Donegal are great (check out my blog and the praise I always give those guys), great course, but less numbers - it is a long way up though.

The sportif crowd is the opposite - the tougher the better :)

You've definitely got a point there. Numbers drop big time when there are a few hills thrown in.

Re: the Shay Elliott it could also be the participation of pro teams which puts some people off.

Advertisement