Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue opening folders on my external hard drive

• 13-09-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey guy I have a argosy media player with 1tb hard drive. To when trying to open my movie folder when plugged into laptop an error box pops up saying internet explorer has stopped working it then changes to windows explorer is restarting and the window closes.

Any idea as this is such a pain as I cant access my movie folder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Is it just the one folder that is giving the problem or do you notice it with more folders on your external HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Is it just the one folder that is giving the problem or do you notice it with more folders on your external HD?

Just seems to be one which is the largest one.
    I downloaded a non Microsoft file manager called xplorer2 and I can access the folder and edit etc no problem. But I would rather just use the windows one any suggestions?

Well its good that you can still open the folder with another app, so at least your films are still accessible. Could you post up the details of the error message, might give us a bit more of a clue as to why windows explorer is crashing?

Well its good that you can still open the folder with another app, so at least your films are still accessible. Could you post up the details of the error message, might give us a bit more of a clue as to why windows explorer is crashing?

It just comes up with a box saying "windows explorer is not responding" Windows is checking for a solution. And then it says windows is restarting and the window closes and the desktop flashes.

Can you check in your event viewer, see if any errors appear when explorer crashes. If there is, can you post the text back here

• Advertisement

Can you check in your event viewer, see if any errors appear when explorer crashes. If there is, can you post the text back here

Hey Billy tnx for your help. How do I check the event viewer please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

OP in your first post the error is "internet explorer has stopped working" then in post 5 you say the error is "windows explorer is not responding"

Which error is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Is there not some function in explorer which when opening a folder attempts to create thumbnails of images and even the first page of any PDF documents. These then display in the details box if you select the file.

If there are lots of movies in the one folder then maybe explorer just can't cope and falls over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Can you browse the folders from another machine using explorer.

Browse the folder with xplorer2 and see if the files or folders contain any odd characters if they do rename them.

Event viewer can be accessed by going to start -> Control Panel -> Administrattive Tools

Do you have an antivirus program running.

If so try disabling it while you browse with explorer.
    Turn it back on as soon as possible though.

Another option would be to restart the computer in safe mode and see if you can access it. If you can it may be a bho from internet explorer causing the problem.
    Restart in safe mode by repeadely tapping F8 when the computer is booting (Just after the BIOS Screen e.g. Dell Logo if its a Dell) this should give you a list one of which will be safe mode.

funnyclub wrote: »
    Hey Billy tnx for your help. How do I check the event viewer please?

Click on the start button, then select "run".
    A dialogue box will pop up, and type in "eventvwr" and hit enter.
    That should open up the event viewer for you.

Then have a search in both the application and system logs for any errors that occured at the time when you last tried to access the folder on your external drive.

Or alternatively, open up event viewer, then try to access your external drive again. If it crashes, go back to event viewer, press F5 to refresh, and see if any new errors appear in the application or system logs

• Advertisement

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hi,

OP in your first post the error is "internet explorer has stopped working" then in post 5 you say the error is "windows explorer is not responding"

Which error is it?

Sorry it was Windows explorer.

Click on the start button, then select "run".
    A dialogue box will pop up, and type in "eventvwr" and hit enter.
    That should open up the event viewer for you.

Then have a search in both the application and system logs for any errors that occured at the time when you last tried to access the folder on your external drive.

Or alternatively, open up event viewer, then try to access your external drive again. If it crashes, go back to event viewer, press F5 to refresh, and see if any new errors appear in the application or system logs

The error I got in the event viewer is:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16450, time stamp: 0x4aeba271
    Faulting module name: DivXMFSource.dll, version: 1.0.0.65, time stamp: 0x4b7f002f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0004c930

hearny wrote: »
    Can you browse the folders from another machine using explorer.

Browse the folder with xplorer2 and see if the files or folders contain any odd characters if they do rename them.

Event viewer can be accessed by going to start -> Control Panel -> Administrattive Tools

Do you have an antivirus program running.

If so try disabling it while you browse with explorer.
    Turn it back on as soon as possible though.

Another option would be to restart the computer in safe mode and see if you can access it. If you can it may be a bho from internet explorer causing the problem.
    Restart in safe mode by repeadely tapping F8 when the computer is booting (Just after the BIOS Screen e.g. Dell Logo if its a Dell) this should give you a list one of which will be safe mode.

It open fine through xplorer2 on my laptop. And opens fine on my desktop.
    As someone said below maybe its crashing cause it has to open so many preview pics and its opening them as Divx as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

It would be worth trying to access it in safe mode.
    What OS are you using.

If its XP this page will explain how to change the default view for folders. If you view details the preview will not load,
    Should be similar for Vista / Windows 7 but it will change the views of all folders so only do it if you are not bothered about changing the existing views.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/views.mspx

Its Win7 Hacked :o

funnyclub wrote: »
    The error I got in the event viewer is:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16450, time stamp: 0x4aeba271
    Faulting module name: DivXMFSource.dll, version: 1.0.0.65, time stamp: 0x4b7f002f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0004c930

Thanks for this, seems your problem is to do with DivX installed on your computer. Uninstall divx using the "add/remove programs", and see if this fixes your problem. Then maybe install a new version of Divx and see if your problem still exists.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/106684-windows-explorer-has-stopped-working.html

Thanks for this, seems your problem is to do with DivX installed on your computer. Uninstall divx using the "add/remove programs", and see if this fixes your problem. Then maybe install a new version of Divx and see if your problem still exists.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/106684-windows-explorer-has-stopped-working.html

Hey tnx very much for your help I just got rid of Divx altogether and using classic media player now and all is good.

Advertisement