Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute Resolution Q & A

Options
  • 13-09-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

In an effort to make the transition to the new Dispute Resolution process operate more smoothly, please post any questions you have on how it will work here and I'll do my best to get them answered for you as quickly as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not a question, rather a request. Any chance of resizing that image?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

If a thread is started about me, will I get an automatic PM or will I just need to keep an eye on the Dispute Resolution Forum if I think someone is going to start one about me after a Ban/Infraction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Might it be an idea in point #2 above to mention that Forum Mods, CMods and Admins can see deleted posts and the history of edited posts?
    It might pre-empt some concerns that "my posts have been deleted/edited and therefore my case cannot be dealt with fairly."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

If a thread is started about me, will I get an automatic PM or will I just need to keep an eye on the Dispute Resolution Forum if I think someone is going to start one about me after a Ban/Infraction?
    The CMods will let you know if they need your assistance, it would be quite difficult and time consuming to write up a a system to make sure all concerned parties were automatically notified. The best thing to do is Follow the forum and maybe check in with it once a day.
    Rovi wrote: »
    Might it be an idea in point #2 above to mention that Forum Mods, CMods and Admins can see deleted posts and the history of edited posts?
    It might pre-empt some concerns that "my posts have been deleted/edited and therefore my case cannot be dealt with fairly."
    That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.
    Not a question, rather a request. Any chance of resizing that image?
    I'll see what I can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can we get prefix tags for the different categories so that CMods can spot relevant threads quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I've resized the image, as I was thinking about adding it to our charter.

Its here if you want to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Sparks wrote: »
    Can we get prefix tags for the different categories so that CMods can spot relevant threads quickly?
    I'm just putting the prefixes in place now.
    yekahs wrote: »
    I've resized the image, as I was thinking about adding it to our charter.

Its here if you want to use it
    Nice one, thank you. I'll talk to Ross about swapping it out - I don't have FTP access to change it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've gone through one dispute here and as far as I'm concerned the matter is closed but what happens to the thread? Can it just stay open or do we have to wait for the user to indicate their acceptance of the decision?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If the user walks away from the issue, I guess it's de facto closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Just a question. I seem to remember that when I joined the site I had to get to a certain number of posts (25 I think) before I could send PM's. Is my recollection correct and is this still the case?

If so, does this not kind of mess up the DRP for new users who might fall foul of an infraction or ban if they cannot PM the Mods/CMods, which is the first step?

I ask because I deleted a post by a new user last week on fitness and sent them an PM explaining why their post was deleted (seeking medical advice). However they started a new thread asking why their initial post had been deleted before they received my PM. In the response to my PM, they explained that they started the thread as they were unabel to PM as they did not have a high enough post count.

M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Malice_ wrote: »
    I've gone through one dispute here and as far as I'm concerned the matter is closed but what happens to the thread? Can it just stay open or do we have to wait for the user to indicate their acceptance of the decision?

Sorry only saw this now. I too am wondering about it.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    If the user walks away from the issue, I guess it's de facto closed.

I think it's plain rude for a person to ignore the outcome. Imagine the outrage if a mod just didn't reply to a thread. I think it's important for this procedure to have a good balance for both sides.

Also in the image at the top, is the DRP only for banned users? As the one Malice looked into about me was raised only over an infraction. And i also see another thread about an infraction.

IMO it should only be for a banning, if not you may get far too many threads over every little unimportant issue.

Overall a big fan of the forum though, kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think it's plain rude for a person to ignore the outcome. Imagine the outrage if a mod just didn't reply to a thread. I think it's important for this procedure to have a good balance for both sides.
    While I agree to a point, I think it would be counter-productive to take any action against a user who chooses to walk away. If a mod/cmod/admin walks away...that has implications on their ability to carry out their responsibilities.
    Also in the image at the top, is the DRP only for banned users? As the one Malice looked into about me was raised only over an infraction. And i also see another thread about an infraction.

IMO it should only be for a banning, if not you may get far too many threads over every little unimportant issue.
    It seems that warnings/infractions are taken very seriously by some. While its not the intention of the mechanism, I would argue that if they take it that seriously, they deserve a place to have a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's also the point that Mods and CMods are volunteers and so aren't required to respond within ten minutes. Same should apply to users; has the user logged in and read that thread or are they just busy at work and haven't been able to take the time to reply?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

bonkey wrote: »
    While I agree to a point, I think it would be counter-productive to take any action against a user who chooses to walk away. If a mod/cmod/admin walks away...that has implications on their ability to carry out their responsibilities.

It seems that warnings/infractions are taken very seriously by some. While its not the intention of the mechanism, I would argue that if they take it that seriously, they deserve a place to have a voice.

Sorry if it sounded like i was suggesting action be taken against someone that walks away. I'd think the would be a bit over the top. Maybe a guideline in the rules, if you do not reply to a thread within X time, it will be deemed resolved.

I'd agree with the second point too but if so then the text in the image at the top might need to be updated from "What to do if your banned"

Sparks the user in question is quite active in boards. It's annoying as they are very quick to question a decision on thread/a PM/help desk and now in here and as ever when things go against them, they ignore the outcome. I guess my point is if they take our time to resolve these they should have the courtesy to acknowledge it.

Advertisement