Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Next For Bayonetta

Options
  • 13-09-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I'm currently replaying Bayonetta in a quest to earn the last few achievements that I missed during my intitial time with this game earlier in the year. To be honest, I'd forgotten just how much fun it was. Ok, we all know the story (or what passes for a story) is terrible, but this is an action game, and the action therein is amazing!

So what's next in line for Bayonetta? Is there a sequel in the works? Will we see it mixed with a Devil May Cry cross-over any time in the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No word yet but if we will hear anything it will be at TGS this week. the team that made it is busy making Vanquish which looks astonishing and plays like a cross between Gears of War and Bayonetta. It might satiate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Yeah, I played the demo of Vanquish about a week ago. Ain't bad stuff. It leans a little more towards the shooter side, than the kinda hack n slash action I'm looking for. I did enjoy it though, and it's speed is mind-blowing. I might pick it up.

Having said that though, I'd still love to see Bayonetta make another appearance. Maybe even with a decent story-line this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Kamiya mentioned in an interview that he'd like to make another game in the bayonetta universe, but not neccessarily a sequel. Seems to be a little sore on sequels after the poor sales of viewtiful joe 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

deathrider wrote: »
    Maybe even with a decent story-line this time.

It would be a shame to burden Bayonetta's wonderful nonsense with a "decent" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't care about the story so long as they get rid of those awful cutscenes where the characters are talking but not moving and the stupid 'filmstrip' effect along the sides of the screen. As bad as the story was, those things just infuriated me

• Advertisement

I don't care about the story so long as they get rid of those awful cutscenes where the characters are talking but not moving and the stupid 'filmstrip' effect along the sides of the screen. As bad as the story was, those things just infuriated me

You're annoyed that they mixed it up a bit with some composed stills rather than sticking to the same straight animated delivery throughout? Can't say I was bothered by that stylistic choice.

Yeah. It was just weird and completely took me out of what little immersion I had. For a cutscene on an action game in this generation to have the characters not moving, not even their mouths, was just ridiculous in my opinion. Especially when you have similar games like Devil May Cry where even cutscenes where people are talking are still really well done and are commensurate with the style of the rest of the game.

And the filmstrip thing made no sense because the game had nothing to do with films. Both things just felt like they were trying to be artistic just for the sake of it rather than because it suited the game. I'm just saying, as bad as the story was, I felt it was made worse by those cutscenes and even just the way the characters move, in this day and age and with so many other games doing it, could have made the cutscenes better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wasn't the biggest fan of the cutscenes, but can't say the stills annoyed me too much either. While the story did drag on occasion, there were absolutely amazing bits like Bayonetta leaping over lava shouting something that sounds really like "Henshin a Go Go, baby!", or Dr Eggman's grave scene.

And, sure, it's a little unfair to say, but they are always skippable. The joy of Bayonetta was in the gameplay, and I wouldn't dock it points because the story doesn't live up to it. It's the best action game of the last few years, without a doubt, with or without the narrative!

Also, anyone who hasn't played it yet, hard mode is absolutely fantastic. Not quite ready for Infinite Climax though!

Well the cutscenes weren't the only problem I had with the game, but I'll not turn this into a Bayonetta bashing thread. But whenever the next one is released I think I'll be waiting for a few price drops rather than pick it up straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

The static cutscenes were alledgedly due to the project running over budget. It did seem oddly out of place with the rest of the game so i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

• Advertisement

Also, anyone who hasn't played it yet, hard mode is absolutely fantastic. Not quite ready for Infinite Climax though!

Infinite Climax mode was insanely rough stuff, yet it was surprisingly entertaining. You'd really want an itchy trigger finger though, in order to dodge through-out the battles without Wicth Time.

As regards the cut-scenes- Love'em or hate'em, they took nothing away from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Bayonfella?

Yeah. It was just weird and completely took me out of what little immersion I had. For a cutscene on an action game in this generation to have the characters not moving, not even their mouths, was just ridiculous in my opinion. Especially when you have similar games like Devil May Cry where even cutscenes where people are talking are still really well done and are commensurate with the style of the rest of the game.

And the filmstrip thing made no sense because the game had nothing to do with films. Both things just felt like they were trying to be artistic just for the sake of it rather than because it suited the game. I'm just saying, as bad as the story was, I felt it was made worse by those cutscenes and even just the way the characters move, in this day and age and with so many other games doing it, could have made the cutscenes better

Surely everything else that happens in Bayonetta is enough to ensure you are taken out of that immersion.

Not that things have to make sense - in a game where a hairy witch with guns on her feet, flings half a church at a two-headed dragon with an upside-down cherub head for a body - but aren't filmstrips made up of still images? :p

I don't think it's fair to randomly decide if and when the game was "trying to be artistic", or claiming to have a real problem with the dance-off thing as the game has nothing to do with music.

Immersion is probably the wrong word.

I'm just saying that even with a bad storyline, good cutscenes can make up for it. But I only mentioned the cutscenes as people mentioned the story. Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, I didn't think the gameplay was all that great, some of the levels (motorbike and missile particularly) were just awful, and the constant button-mashing bits when finishing off an enemy annoyed me.

And the QTEs were ridiculous. They seemed to just decide to put them in random cutscenes, so you never expected them, which meant you'd have to redo it. And to have them after you've just had to button-mash to finish an enemy meaning you'd probably put the controller down. It just felt like bad design.

Look, there were parts of the game I enjoyed, but overall I just didn't think it was that great. The cutscenes were just one part of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Bayonneta - any ACT lover will loves it to bits. especially you are those ACT lovers who want some decent fighting system rather than the God of War style's button smashing.

and the QTE in the game is the least skill-required part in the fighting system, it only meant for making you feel 'high' when you are giving the boss a final blow. i love it when i nearly defeat the boss -> QTE summon -> OWN his ass :D while for the small QTE in some parts of the game i dont think they matter that much dont they?

bayonetta is a new hallmark standard in the ACT genre.the fighting system of bayonetta, what can i say, we have never seen an ACT with such deep and rish combo system. it made DMC4 looked terrible and made we realise how ridiculous the ninjagaiden series is. Bayonetta is certainly not a flawless game, but as a long time ACT lover, i am guessing we wont see any ACT can surpass its greatness at least in the next 5 years :D but obviously we are have high expectation to whatever Hideki Kamiya and Shinji Mikami is gonna show us in the future!

and no, DMC will never has a decent sequel in any foreseen future, caused' its real father is not guiding dmc anymore :pac: DMC1 was such a ground breaking ACT back about 10 yrs ago brought out by Hideki?

seraphimvc wrote: »
    Bayonneta - any ACT lover will loves it to bits. especially you are those ACT lovers who want some decent fighting system rather than the God of War style's button smashing.

and the QTE in the game is the least skill-required part in the fighting system, it only meant for making you feel 'high' when you are giving the boss a final blow. i love it when i nearly defeat the boss -> QTE summon -> OWN his ass :D while for the small QTE in some parts of the game i dont think they matter that much dont they?

bayonetta is a new hallmark standard in the ACT genre.the fighting system of bayonetta, what can i say, we have never seen an ACT with such deep and rish combo system. it made DMC4 looked terrible and made we realise how ridiculous the ninjagaiden series is. Bayonetta is certainly not a flawless game, but as a long time ACT lover, i am guessing we wont see any ACT can surpass its greatness at least in the next 5 years :D but obviously we are have high expectation to whatever Hideki Kamiya and Shinji Mikami is gonna show us in the future!

and no, DMC will never has a decent sequel in any foreseen future, caused' its real father is not guiding dmc anymore :pac: DMC1 was such a ground breaking ACT back about 10 yrs ago brought out by Hideki?

I enjoyed Bayonetta more than I thought, it's a good game. I'm happy for you that it was released, as you seem to like it a little bit too.

Combat in Bayonetta seems no more clever than God of War's button mashing - just different.

QTE's (not the end of boss 'button-hammering') are a problem when they result in learn-by-dying moments. Not satisfying.

What's an "ACT"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fnz wrote: »
    What's an "ACT"?

Arse Clenching Thriller

I have to agree that some of the QTEs in Bayonetta were absolutely ridiculous, most of my stone medals were due to them:mad:
    Kind of kept you on the edge of your seat, even during cutscenes though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Fnz wrote: »
    I enjoyed Bayonetta more than I thought, it's a good game. I'm happy for you that it was released, as you seem to like it a little bit too.

Combat in Bayonetta seems no more clever than God of War's button mashing - just different.

QTE's (not the end of boss 'button-hammering') are a problem when they result in learn-by-dying moments. Not satisfying.

What's an "ACT"?

action game genre is called ACT (in famitsu anyway)......
    http://www.7daysget.com/Wholesale-nds-game-cards-act-action-game_c2314
    ^look up the left section of the US site. i am not pulling some sh!t out of nowhere.........

Have you try titan mode in GoW and Bayonetta Non-climax mode? If you have the game please give a try and tell me what do you think.

and about the QTE:

seriously, people, if a game over of 1 or 2(dont tell me you die to more than 2 times of the same QTE) really upset you much, that, my friend, you either need to do some Megaman training, or, just simply admit that you are not into action games. QTE may not directly related to action games but i dont think it is a deal breaker in bayonetta - it is just another way of game over to me lol.

the shooting game part is Bayonetta is what i dont get it tho lol.

QTEs in cutscenes don't normally bother me, but their use in Bayonetta was awful because it wasn't consistent. Some action cutscenes would have them, but then bits you'd think there would be one wouldn't have one. Which meant you're not expecting them. I take cutscenes as a chance to maybe have a drink or just put down the controller (especially if the bit before consisted of having to hammer a button repeatedly), provided I don't think there is going to be a QTE. Because of the inconsistency of the QTE's in Bayonetta, it caused a bigger problem than it should have been.

Have you try titan mode in GoW and Bayonetta Non-climax mode? If you have the game please give a try and tell me what do you think.

I've played both of this games/ modes. I think the main difference is Bayonetta's dodge is a lot more efficient than Kratos'. Therefore, it get used a lot more, and frequently finds itself intwined into the the battles. Also, the fact that you can hold an attack button during a dodge to continue your combo afterwards, does this game a world of good.

Not that I've got anything against God Of War though. Loved the first two games, and I'm dying to play the third one.

the shooting game part is Bayonetta is what i dont get it tho lol.

I agree. The gun-work was great in the DMC games. It kept your juggled enemy suspended in the air while you warmed up your next attack. But due to Bayonetta's speed, she really doesn't need this feature too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm currently replaying Bayonetta in a quest to earn the last few achievements that I missed during my intitial time with this game earlier in the year. To be honest, I'd forgotten just how much fun it was. Ok, we all know the story (or what passes for a story) is terrible, but this is an action game, and the action therein is amazing!

ahh the storyline wasn't that bad a bit all over the shop but still ace:D
    I think they should give us more of an insight in the sages that would be cool for the squeal while still retaining the story for bayonetta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are laying bayonetta and devil may cry for the story then you are doing it wrong. It's all about the combat and laughing at how absurd the story is.

I really enjoyed the story in Devil May Cry 3. Not fantastic, but not a bad story. Again though, it's all about the combat. Still the best in the DMC series, in my opinion.

Kamiya on his twitter was asked if there's a sequel to Bayonetta coming. His reply 'I believe so'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Call me a pervert if you will :pac:
    But in Bayonetta there was so much flesh showing with-out actually showing the lot.

why not just show the lot in the sequel.

A stylistic choice you pervert. Read a good article by a female journalist explaining how Bayonetta was actually an excellently written and strong female character. Wish I could find it.

No i'd rather continuing being a pervert :D

:pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kamiya on his twitter was asked if there's a sequel to Bayonetta coming. His reply 'I believe so'.
    Excellent news. That's made my day.

As regards to Bayonetta's nudity... Eh... Well it would probably cheapen the whole game if we could see it all each time she preformed a climax move.

Actually on the subject of nudity in games, it is a weird one alright.
    Video game developers strive so much to make their female characters sexy. Even going as far to model visually pleasing body parts (such as bayonetta ass or jill valentine in the battlesuit in RE5)

Then other games such as Heavy Rain or Mass Effect 1 just show it all.

Bayonetta did a pretty good job in a stylish way. But the thing with bayonetta is it just showed so much without an actual pay-off.
    If there is to be a sequel to bayonetta of course the developers will push the envelope more. But I think how can they push what they already did in the first game without repeating?

either way. its kinda weird to think how we went from mario to having some naked chick in a video game, lol.

• Advertisement

I think it may depend on the scene in question. Baring all more often than not in the heat of battle, as Bayonetta does, would make it a little hard to concentrate on the gameplay if it was full frontal, to say the least. If it boiled down to an actual sex scene somewhere in the in the story-line, in which they showed all her bits and bobs it would be a different story.

Granted though, I haven't played Heavy Rain, or any or the Mass Effect games, so I'm not sure which way they handle the situation.

Advertisement