Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you enjoy binge drinking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Don't really bother bar the odd few glasses of vino with the husband and I'm addicted to champagne! My mam is a binge drinker and I think seeing her act the maggot put me off drinking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

When I was younger and in college, yeah, it was the thing to do, although I never got to the state of public urination/vomiting/etc. But for me, being involved in sports didn't allow it very often, and then I grew out of it. That doesn't seem to happen in Ireland- many of my friends in their late 20s (more lads than girls) get totally hammered every weekend. I don't know how they do it. On the rare occasions I do have a few too many, it'd be months before I'd do it again (we're talking once or twice a year, if that). Aside from feeling like crap the next day, my friends are always broke as they spend a FORTUNE on drink. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Nope. When it gets to the point that I feel ill, it's not fun anymore. And, as others have pointed out, why would I want to continue to spend money on something that makes me feel ill/might end up coming back up anyway?

I'll have a few any day of the week, but any more than that is rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

When I was younger I did it, I didn't enjoy it. I think it was something I did out of insecurity to fit in. I'm a bit of an introvert and when I was younger I felt that I had to try and be the life and soul of the party so I would drink too much in the hope that it would increase my confidence.

As I've gotten older I've gotten comfortable with myself. I like being in a group and enjoy listening and taking it all in. Now when I drink I drink because I like it and I take my time and savour it like I would with food. I love a nice baileys with ice or an irish coffee and oh what I wouldn't do for a lovely glass of prosecco now (I'm pregnant so abstaining :p) but I rarely get passed tipsy and I don't have to deal with hangovers that last all day anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Technically yes I do. The Word Health Organisation defines binge drinking as drinking six or more standard drinks (about 3 pints of beer or 2 large glasses of wine) in one session. Another definition I've heard is drinking to feel the effects of alcohol. By these definitions I absolutely binge drink and I enjoy it.

That said, I have never been one to drink to the point where I can't walk/talk, till I'm vomiting etc. Like the ad on telly says, I know the one that's one too many. If we take the stumbling, mumbling, puking definition as binge drinking then nope, it's not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'm not a fan of the term 'binge drinking' as in defined in popular culture, I mean drinking to the point where one is seriously impaired either that night or the following day, for some that's 3, others it might be 8. I enjoy drinking but not the after affects, not if I drink more than say 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I enjoy being drunk and when I'm drunk I generally want to drink more and I'll keep going until the bar closes. The next day, my stomach and head hate me and I regret drinking so much. Most of friends are big drinkers so I don't feel like I'm the one t*t there making a tool of myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I used to, but then when hangovers started to get worse, I stopped. It used to be a double vodka for every diet coke, now it's a single vodka, and less drinks overall. And I drink more slowly.
    I still get hangovers, but just ones where I feel tired/drained as opposed to having a headache and/or sick stomach as well.

It's true about the Irish culture though - a few weeks ago, my friend was visiting from Dublin on a Saturday and didn't want to go drinking that night as she had to drive back next day. We couldn't think of somewhere else to meet up and have a natter in, besides a bar. In the end, she did go drinking. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

Freiheit wrote: »
    do ladies actually enjoy it?.
    Yes. In a word.

I enjoy binge drinking, so sue me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Who doesnt lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nothing shakes off the oul cobwebs better than going out and getting ****-faced every once in a while. Not every weekend though, Just when the occasion calls for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

WindSock wrote: »
    Nothing shakes off the oul cobwebs better than going out and getting ****-faced every once in a while. Not every weekend though, Just when the occasion calls for it.

Couldn't agree more :)....
    I don't drink that much to put into context there's 9 can of Heineken in my room which I don't intend on drink unless somethings happening.

I see drink as something social enjoyable having fun... but drinking because for the more unhealthy reasons like you can or you need to.. its saying something about your self... or its just plain escapism

I used to work in bar were we were encouraged to get drunk while we worked for 6 months I became an expert in crazy shots ways of doing shots and just living the party life style. hang overs from hell 4 times a week stumbeling out of night clubs 11 am the next morning.

Yeah it sounds great to talk about I lived this great life were I parted for months but in truth it was the worst and best time I ever had.

Binge drinking, is an form of escapism, the same way some people use drugs or other such means its one of those things aint it.

but the difference being is that drinkings publicly except-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

WindSock wrote: »

Can't agree more other than the "going out" bit. :P Maybe every 2-4 months I'll just be feeling a bit off and getting completely wasted whether it's with drink or something else is like pressing the reset button for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

I really enjoy drinkin. I hate the word binge. 3+ drinks a night is binge. . . that'd be my warm up. I drink to get drunk.
    I'm really surprised so many women are sayin no. . i love it.. some craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

This maybe a bit controversial but I do love going out and getting completely sloshed every now and again. I say I have a complete binge night about three times a year,and there always the best nights. Yes the next day is a right off but usually worth it for the craic the night before.

I don't really drink or go out that much so when I do I really like to let my hair down. You can binge and still be able to hold your drink. I've never peed in the middle of the street or puked up everywhere after having a serious amount to drink.

Dudess wrote: »
    I used to, but then when hangovers started to get worse, I stopped. It used to be a double vodka for every diet coke, now it's a single vodka, and less drinks overall. And I drink more slowly.
    I still get hangovers, but just ones where I feel tired/drained as opposed to having a headache and/or sick stomach as well.

It's true about the Irish culture though - a few weeks ago, my friend was visiting from Dublin on a Saturday and didn't want to go drinking that night as she had to drive back next day. We couldn't think of somewhere else to meet up and have a natter in, besides a bar. In the end, she did go drinking. :o

This is the thing. I haven't been able to drink for the last week because of antibiotics and it's really difficult to find things to do at night that don't involve drinking (and I'm in the UK!) I did the cinema and went for walks, but I don't even enjoy dinners out much without a glass of wine. I just find that it's much, much harder to linger and chat. I finish a non-alcoholic drink in about 1/10 time I take to drink wine and I don't particularly want a second glass of water or a second coffee. I tried going out for milkshake or tea instead of a drink in the pub but again, you just sort of finish it quickly and then it's like 'what do we do now?' It's not the same sitting in a cafe as sitting in a cosy pub. It's alarming how much my life revolves around alcohol, and I'm not a particularly heavy drinker. I have been creative about finding things to do, and in London it's 10 times easier than in Dublin, but I just haven't found a place to sit and chat with friends in the evening that's as fun as the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't really enjoy binge drinking and I don't like the repucussions of it. I enjoy a few drinks, get a bit tipsey or a little drunk but enough to enjoy being out with friends and not black out like or drink too much, I know my limits and I know when to stop, I'm very disciplined like that. I'll have so many drinks and stop if I feel I have enough on the night whether its after 2-4 or more drinks. Depends on the occassion. If I have been sick or have a headache I'll either drink very little or not drink at all. I just have drink to enjoy myself not necessarly to get trashed like. I drink to get the buzz and I am happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tara23buy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Zombie thread.

Locked.

Maple

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement