Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Service Changes - Effective September 19

Options
  • 13-09-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Stillorgan/
    Stillorgan/ North Wicklow
    Monday, September 13, 2010
    Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the first phase of the Network Direct project.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
    Starting on the 19th of September a more direct, high frequency, punctual bus service is coming to N11 Stillorgan, Dún Laoghaire, Bray and North Wicklow with improved cross city connections. Please Click (http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5998/Stillorgan%20Corridor%20Map%20Final%20Version%2002%2009%202010%20copy.pdf) to view a diagram or here to see FAQ's on services in these areas.

Quicker journey times
    Quicker journey times to key destinations.

High frequency services
    Routes 46a and 145 will have weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better until 21:00.

Improved connections for customers
    Route 46a will provide a high frequency connection between Dún Laoghaire and the
    Phoenix Park via Belfield, Luas Green line, Luas Red line, the Mater Hospital and Phibsboro.
    Route 145 will provide a high frequency connection to Heuston Station from North
    Wicklow, Shankill, Cabinteely, Stillorgan and UCD Belfield.
    The extended route 47 will offer an all day service from Stepaside to Pearse Street via
    Stillorgan Village, St Vincent’s University Hospital and Ballsbridge.

Route Improvements
    Route 46a will be more direct. It will operate on the new Kill Avenue/Kill Lane QBC and use the Stillorgan bypass at all times, giving journey time savings of up to 15 minutes.

Route 63 will provide a connection between Dún Laoghaire, Monkstown Farm,
    Cornelscourt, the Luas and Kilternan.

Route 4 will be extended to Monkstown Avenue providing connections to Blackrock, Ballsbridge, City Centre, DCU and IKEA.

Route 145 will provide a more direct service, saving approximately 10 minutes, by operating via Bray Main street.

Route 47 will now operate to the City Centre.

Route 84 will serve the Luas at Cherrywood before continuing to Stillorgan Village and UCD Belfield.

Journey times will now be significantly improved with trips to the city centre from Dún Laoghaire and Bray taking on average less than 55 minutes.

Routes 46x and 746 will no longer operate. Alternative services can be used:
    46x – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a or Airlink service to travel to Dublin Airport.

746 – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a, Airlink in service for travel to Dublin airport.

* Customers should please note that the amalgamation of Routes 39a/10 will take place in October.

Timetable Changes
    All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. route 46a will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street and UCD Belfield making it easier to plan your journey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dublin Bus wrote:
    Quicker journey times to key destinations.

not on the new 84...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Thanks for the info. It is very handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

How does going through Bray Main street save time......?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How does going through Bray Main street save time......?

On a number of fronts:
    1) Quite a few buses diverted to serve the station - that will no longer happen.

2) The headway between buses will now even out - if a bus diverted to serve the station it meant that the even 10 minute frequency became a 20 minute wait between Bray and the city before two buses appeared together. This would have led to increased waiting at stops. The loads will now be more evenly spread out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What's different about the 84x route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

No bus at noon from city to Kilcoole is the most obvious change.

No harm really, I reckon. I've used it a few times and on a couple of occasions I was the only person on the bus from Loughlinstown onwards.

Ah ok. I'm a morning/evening person so it doesn't affect me. Although the two different 84x's caught me out the other week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Renn wrote: »
    Ah ok. I'm a morning/evening person so it doesn't affect me. Although the two different 84x's caught me out the other week :(
    I've done that once myself! Lesson learnt - look at the front of the bus!

I spent the walk back from Derek Burton's cursing myself. :(

Renn wrote: »
    What's different about the 84x route?

The off-peak services and those services to/from Newtownmountkennedy are cancelled.

• Advertisement

I've done that once myself! Lesson learnt - look at the front of the bus!

I spent the walk back from Derek Burton's cursing myself. :(

Ha. I just hopped onto the 184 instead. I keep forgetting to look at the front. The other day I got on it and spent the whole journey looking for familiar faces as I was sure I got the wrong one again. Thankfully it was the 'correct' 84x!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

So the 84 won't serve Charlesland, just the 184? Is my understanding correct?

Langerland wrote: »
    So the 84 won't serve Charlesland, just the 184? Is my understanding correct?

it has never served Charlesland - just the 84X and the 184

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I see - Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 electric warrior

when did the 84 stop going to eden quay and just terminate at UCD?
    can you buy a ticket from greystones to dublin and just transfer with the same ticket?
    ive not need to get the bus in a good while. sorry

when did the 84 stop going to eden quay and just terminate at UCD?
    can you buy a ticket from greystones to dublin and just transfer with the same ticket?
    ive not need to get the bus in a good while. sorry

you can buy a "Transfer 90" ticket which allow you to board any amount buses within a 90 minute period - not sure if you can get this on the bus though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

loyatemu wrote: »
    you can buy a "Transfer 90" ticket which allow you to board any amount buses within a 90 minute period - not sure if you can get this on the bus though.

Your grand with the 90 on these routes. (need to pre-pay)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    you have to buy the travel 90 in shops that sell dublin bus tickets - I think that you can only buy a 10 journey one for 18

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

EUR 18.50 for 10 90-minute transfer tickets.

Yes, for some reason they've decided to add another 50 cent on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Have they dropped the 84x to/from Newtownmountkennedy completely? I can't see it listed anymore. I never got it myself, but I did consider moving to Newtown for a while because of it (and the cheap ass rental I found...). It would be a shame if it was gone completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

1 or 2 84x buses/drivers didnt turn up this week - Yay for the straight forward change of timetable and routes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Merrilady wrote: »
    1 or 2 84x buses/drivers didnt turn up this week - Yay for the straight forward change of timetable and routes ;)

Wow, really? There was very little change to the X I know there were some delays on Monday on the way home but I was under the impression that it was sue to a crash and oil spill...

d31b0y wrote: »
    Have they dropped the 84x to/from Newtownmountkennedy completely? I can't see it listed anymore. I never got it myself, but I did consider moving to Newtown for a while because of it (and the cheap ass rental I found...). It would be a shame if it was gone completely.

Yes it has been withdrawn.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Wow, really? There was very little change to the X I know there were some delays on Monday on the way home but I was under the impression that it was sue to a crash and oil spill...

I know, thats the funny thing... all coming from the Donnybrook garage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Merrilady wrote: »
    I know, thats the funny thing... all coming from the Donnybrook garage :rolleyes:

Just checking the sheets here, they all leave donnybrook 30mins prior to their quay departure.
    On the old system some would come in as Dolier st 145's and hide on Luke st until their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

I just posted a mini rant on a similar thread - its a disgrace what they have done. the 84x (leaving town) is now chock full by the time it gets to leeson st (which is only a few stops in ) so those of us trying to get back to greystones to pick up our kids and get home have no chance of getting on it. its an absolute shambles how they've changed a perfectly good service. the knock on affect on the 84x becuase of how they altered the other N11 buses.

how people are supposed to get home at a reasonable hour is beyond me.

anyone know who the TD for greystones is so we can see if he or she can get involved?

get the 145 and change onto the 84X at Loughlinstown maybe? Sounds like some of these changes haven't been well thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

anyone know who the TD for greystones is so we can see if he or she can get involved?
    Greystones has 5 TDs - Dick Roche, Andrew Doyle, Joe Behan, Liz McManus, Billy Timmins

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

SickCert wrote: »
    Just checking the sheets here, they all leave donnybrook 30mins prior to their quay departure.
    On the old system some would come in as Dolier st 145's and hide on Luke st until their time.

I should have elaborated a bit more, I meant in the morning going inot town.

But ... it seems the evenings are as bad, the 5.30 bus didnt turn up on leeson street yesterday, and the next bus was chockers ... gggrrrrrrrrr

Advertisement