Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting a plasma tv on chimney breast?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi all
    i want to mount a 42'' plasma tv on a chimney breast. This is a real fire and will be used in the winter months. it is a block chimney breat with one sheet of plasterboard. First of all what kind of screws will i need? I have already purchased a tilted wall bracket.
    secondly how do i hide all the wires? i dont want to chase the wall as the fire will be in use, is there like one cable you can connect all wires to so there will be just one wire showing? i will have the tv power cord, dvd player and cable box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

When i saw the words plasma tv and fireplace i instantly thought, ooh that can't be good, heat affects plasma doesn't it? Googled it and found this link
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasmatv-fireplace.html

basically, the heat produced by the fire makes the cooling system in the tv work that much harder, and they don't recommmend using the tv while the fire is on and vice versa as it shortens the life of your tv.

Hiding the wires is easy, pop down to your local hardwear store and buy some white conduit, run the wires down it and fix it to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if memory serves the lcd is more suitable for mounting over fire

hardly a great idea anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

buy an amp,run everything through the amp then just have one hdmi running from it to the back of tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

First of all don't use screws, I would bolt the bracket to the wall using anchors. You must take your time with these and measure how deep you must drill into the wall. you don't want to drill in too much.

These done correctly will be solid as a rock.

That's a good link above from shinikins, read it thoroughly as you might end up regretting putting it up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ella11

M cebee wrote: »
    if memory serves the lcd is more suitable for mounting over fire

hardly a great idea anyhow

im not sure if its a plasma or lcd, think it has an lcd screen :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Not quite as simple to wire as you expect. There is already a thread on this. I think it's in diy. Can't link it sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    Not quite as simple to wire as you expect. There is already a thread on this. I think it's in diy. Can't link it sorry.

Would`t it be great if they were as easy to wire up as stated.

ella11 wrote: »
    im not sure if its a plasma or lcd, think it has an lcd screen :confused:

It should be on a sticker on the back of the tv, if it isn't, then press the screen lightly when its on-if it leaves a smear in the picture that gradually returns to normal, its plasma. They also tend to be a little wider from front to back, to accommadate the internal cooling system.

TBH, mounting any flat screen tv above a fire that gets a lot of use is a bad idea. Not only does the heat affect it the life of the tv, but you're gonna have a flow of hot air that will hit the screen and attract dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

shinikins wrote: »
    It should be on a sticker on the back of the tv, if it isn't, then press the screen lightly when its on-if it leaves a smear in the picture that gradually returns to normal, its plasma LCD. They also tend to be a little wider from front to back, to accommadate the internal cooling system.

TBH, mounting any flat screen tv above a fire that gets a lot of use is a bad idea. Not only does the heat affect it the life of the tv, but you're gonna have a flow of hot air that will hit the screen and attract dust.

Fixed that for you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.;)

Thanks, but you needn't have! Plasma screens, when touched leave a smear that returns to normal picture in about 10-12 seconds. LCD return to normal picture far quicker, 2-3 seconds, and never really lose their colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

as above if it was me I'd get an amp that could switch HDMI and would change your sound and picture leaving only one hdmi and one power cable to the TV.

I took mine down from over the fireplace BTW. It was too high and not comfortable to watch. Lots of people told me not to put it there, but I had to learn for myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes its definitely too high unless your a long way back from the screen, it seems like a nice spot to put a tv up until your wathing it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

As a firefighter, dont put it over the Fireplace.... For so many reasons....

As an electrician :) Hiding the wires are a pain... trucking looks crap and gets hot... chasing is a no-no and pretty much dont do it....

Advertisement