Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so the cat peed on the carpet...

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

unfortunately our cat had an "accident" and peed on the carpet a while ago.
    I have bought some industrial stain and odour remover in an animal shop in Dublin and I've used it thoroughly araound the area but it happened again :mad:
    my OH was cleaning the litter so my cat had nowhere to go and went back to the same spot to pee :mad::mad:
    so how can i stop my cat to do it again? is there any way i can teach her not to do it? do u have any product to suggest?

tnx in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

our cat Moo, pee'd on the wooden floors...same spot....a few times !! we put her food bowl on the same spot....never did it again !!

also sounds funny, but have a water gun near you and zap her when she geos to do it again !! she will not like it at all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The cleaner seems to not be working, if the cat is going in the same place as before he/she can obviously smell that the place is a "good spot". There are specific urine cleaners available (I don't know if it is one of these you used already) and these tend to work brilliantly. Some biological washing powder (or liquid) in warm water (not scalding hot!) can do the trick too, and then I tend to disinfect with a pet safe cleaner after using the urine cleaner/bio.

Because it's on the carpet, the smell may have seeped into the underlay and getting it out of this once it has taken hold is very difficult. The easiest way to get rid of it is replacing the underlay but often this is also near to impossible (depending on where it is in the room - you don't want to go pulling up all the carpet!). If you re-wet the area with a washing solution (as mentioned already) and use towels (loads) and a lot of stomping to soak up all the liquid it should hopefully get it out of the underlay as well as the carpet. You will have to work hard to get all the moisture out of the carpet and underlay once you re-wet the area but it should hopefully work. I used this method when some spit milk went unnoticed for a day or two, went sour in the carpet and underlay (very nasty) and stank the place out of it! Took a few tries but did the job.

Also, if the litter tray is too clean (or dirty) or smells strongly like cleaner your cat may not want to go in it - thus the reason for peeing on the carpet. Washing them out with plain old hot soapy water is the best way to prevent them from turning their noses up at the smell.

Just to note - if your cat is peeing quite a bit around the house, you may need to get it checked at the vet for a UTI to make sure all is well.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

To the best of my knowledge, most commercial cleaners contain certain chemicals which smell similar to components in cat urine and while they clean the area and remove any obvious smell from us, a cats keen sense of smell can pick up the scent and he will continue to use the same spot because he think's it's a rival cat. Well, that's the theory :rolleyes:

I'm going through a stage where one of my new arrivals is weeing indiscriminately in an attempt to assert himself and it's definitely not a bladder/kidney infection.
    While I figure out a way to stop him, I find that good old soap and hot water is the best solution. On the carpet, I give it a good wash and let the soapy water soak right in, then I rinse it with another cloth and warm clean water and to get most of the moisture out, I put down an old towel and walk on the spot to blot the water out. Once that's done I spray Feliway around the area. So far it seems to be working and the little monster is moving on to fresh areas rather than returning to the original ones.
    A friend has recomended moving the cat food to any area previously used if he returns to it as he won't pee where he eats.

Once you've eliminated any kind of infection in your girl, hopefully you'll be able to sort the problem out and she'll stop doing it. You could try squirting her with a water pistol when she starts but if it's being caused by an infection, this will only make her more upset and confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Definitely don't use any product that contains bleach as it is an invitation to the kitty that says 'do your wees here!'. Washing powder dissolved in water is very good, possibly followed by isopropyl alcohol (surgical spirits). Perhaps you can lock her out of that room, unless you're there with her to give her a correction if she tries it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

Another thing that wouldn't hurt to do is get another litter tray.
    Some cats prefer having one for pee and a different one for poop.
    Also, that would mean no more accidents while one tray is being cleaned as there's another available.
    I know my cats hate going anywhere other than their litter trays. One of mine was sick once and couldn't make it to the litter tray. He looked so ashamed of himself :( poor pet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 imnu

some claim that vinegar might work, not sure which type though.

There are products such as Naturvet No Mark

http://www.naturvet.com/index.php?option=com_dogcat&task=view&Itemid=35&pid=149

I have used it myself.

There are a couple of places that sell it in England but I don't know of any in Ireland yet.

Advertisement