Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a career break - could it effect redundancy??

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm going through a tough time at the moment and am thinking about going away for 6 months/1 year to sort myself out.

Just wondering
    1) Are companies obliged to consent to career break?
    2) If I were to take a career break of say 6 months/1 year, would it be considered as starting afresh when I return, as in, would I forgo my redundancy should the company have to make that decision to let people go?

Is there anything else I need to consider job wise??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

firstly a unless its in your contract about career breaks, no company will entertain a career break application. either your in or out.

if they do and are compassionate about it then its up to them. they could ask you to resign as career breaks might not officially exist within the company with the promise that you job will be waiting for you(not likely though) unless you can get it in writing.

how long are you with the company?

my wife used to work for a company who offered career breaks but refused her with no explination however her collegue was offered an extention on hers. go figure!

can you not take holidays or do you really need such time off?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your reply. I jsut went through my contract there and there is no mention of career break. I may just approach the company and ask them if it would be possible to take a leave of absence. Obviously if they decline I will not be handing in my notice - I dont think anything at the moment is worth giving up a job for - particulary one in the property sector which is what I am in.

I have been with the company for 4.5 years, and have kept my nose clean throughout my job with the company.

I ahve actually going to Australia for 3 weeks at the end of October, I was going to try and extend my break and clear my head.

I just broke up from a very long term relationship. If it was someone I wouldn't see often I'd be able to deal with it but we've had the same group of friends since school so I'm going to see him all the time unless I become a hermit which i dont want to do..... :eek:

well you can only ask. Sounds like a tough situation to be in personally but I was in something similar 8-9 odd years ago. had to make a clean break and left the area completely severed all ties and moved to different part of the country.

started a fresh was hard but had to be done. still in contact with some of my old pals but not too many.

That is true. I'll try to work up the balls to give my boss a call this afternoon and I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks for the advise nonetheless
    Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

unless its in a contract or union agreement you don't have a right to a career break

however it might suit the company - depending on how they are trading to offer you such a facility

ask it can do no harm

• Advertisement

Well, i rang my manager today and she's going to talk to HR for me tomorrow and hopefully have an answer by C.O.B tomorrow.....
    I'll let ye know the responce I get tomorrow.....
    I'll be keeping the fingers crossed!!! :)

Well I heard back today and they said no to the carrer break. Oh well, no harm in having tried I guess......

no harm indeed

Advertisement