Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registered post

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi guys, hoping someone can help, i posted a letter by registered post to the us over a month ago, which seems to have vanished! it contained a bank draft which i have had to cancel costing me €42.70 just to cancel it. Are an post responsible for any charges i have incurred by my 'missing' post? they are currently investigating it which takes 30days! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Post to and from the States can take about 6-8 weeks. I think you just cancelled it prematurely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A letter would normally take about a week.

I would be looking to have my costs reimbursed but you may find that they will try to hide behind their T&Cs.

keep at them, dont let them away easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dollydimples82

hi guys, i cancelled it because post i sent a week after was received and the bank draft is till out there, 4 weeks to the usa is crazy. i can see by the registered track id that it arrived in the us the day after i posted it in ireland, yet it has not moved since. this is 2010 not 1900! i paid extra to send it by registered post for peace of mind, now i feel like going mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it has probably been stolen and is being sent to someone else now as payment for a clapped out car that they want shipped halfway around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭ongarite

Have you tried the tracking service on the USPS website?
    An Post registered post tracking won't work once it leaves Ireland so you need to find the online tracking for the postal service in the country of destination.
    The tracking number from An Post should be a set of numbers with "IE" after the end.
    Try tracking the letter with USPS changing the "IE" to "US"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Registered post comes with insurance, so have you put in a claim with an Post yet? If not, do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

this is 2010 not 1900! i

You posted a letter containing a bank draft. I didn't even know you could still do that, they probably didn't have a clue what it was. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

hi guys, i cancelled it because post i sent a week after was received and the bank draft is till out there, 4 weeks to the usa is crazy. i can see by the registered track id that it arrived in the us the day after i posted it in ireland, yet it has not moved since. this is 2010 not 1900! i paid extra to send it by registered post for peace of mind, now i feel like going mad!

The registered post system only shows tracking in Ireland.

I.E.
    You send a letter to the Netherlands via registered post, once it hits Amsterdam or Almere theres no tracking from TNT beyond there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have experienced this before. Registered mail seems to be very unreliable once it leaves our fair shores. I don't think it's An Post's fault, but the counter staff really should warn you that it is so unreliable and often slower than regular mail.

They will pay out whatever insurance is on the registered mail, eventually, I suppose. I have never gotten anything off them for the one that went astray.

Advertisement