Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rolling Temporary

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Can someone be of assistance ,

I am being employed to work in company for the last 15 months , initially it was for 3 months but every 3 months I keep getting it extend by 3 months . the thing is the company is employing me through a recruitment agency and I am just wondering do I have any rights in terms of sick leave ( I am afraid to ask) and do they not have to make me permanent after so many months or the fact I am not on the companies book but on the recruitment agencies a way around that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

Whocares, there is no legal provision on any company to provide sick leave in this country. I haven't come across any agency that has a sick leave scheme for temps. The company you are placed with also has no requirement to hire you as a permanent employee. I know people who have worked in the same place for many years as an agency worker. Legally you work for the agency if they are the people paying your salary. The only time you are legally considered to be an employee of the company you do the work for is under unfair dismissals and health and safety legislation (see citizens information).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tinnuvial wrote: »
    The company you are placed with also has no requirement to hire you as a permanent employee. I know people who have worked in the same place for many years as an agency worker. Legally you work for the agency if they are the people paying your salary. The only time you are legally considered to be an employee of the company you do the work for is under unfair dismissals and health and safety legislation (see citizens information).

If you manage to get to four (I think it's four) years of contract renewals, then you're considered permanent. But it's permanent with the agency, not permanent with their client. So all it means is that if they client stops wanting your services the agency has to either place you elsewhere or make you redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

whocares86 wrote: »
    Can someone be of assistance ,

I am being employed to work in company for the last 15 months , initially it was for 3 months but every 3 months I keep getting it extend by 3 months . the thing is the company is employing me through a recruitment agency and I am just wondering do I have any rights in terms of sick leave ( I am afraid to ask) and do they not have to make me permanent after so many months or the fact I am not on the companies book but on the recruitment agencies a way around that

If your there 4 years of continous contracts then yes they have to make you permanent.

Sick leave is even more tricky, because your a agencey worker you may not have all the rights as a normal worker- im not saying the rights you have dont count but i would suggest going to citzens advice first and ask

Advertisement