Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Cameron preps True Lies for TV

• 13-09-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

I wonder if this will work out in the end:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/true-lies-series-in-the-works-with-james-cameron-producing/
    After smashing box-office records with Titanic, James Cameron segued to television with a primetime series. Now, after topping Titanic’s record haul with his new box-office mammoth Avatar, Cameron is returning to television with what will no doubt become one of the hottest projects this development season: a TV series take on his 1994 action comedy True Lies that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. I hear the project, from Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and 20th Century Fox TV, is about to be taken out to the networks. Rene Echevarria is the writer/showrunner, executive producing with Cameron and Lightstorm’s Rae Sanchini and Jon Landau.

The 1994 movie centered on Harry Tasker (Schwarzenegger), a computer salesman/family man who lives a double life as a government spy. During a top-secret mission, Harry discovers that his mousy wife Helen (Curtis), seeking adventure, has embarked on an affair with an used cars salesman who has seduced her by pretending to be a spy. Harry sets out to give her the excitement she craves while battling Middle Eastern terrorists who threaten nuclear war with the U.S.

Sixteen years after its release, True Lies continues to be a fan favorite, with speculation about a potential sequel never dying. Cameron wrote and directed the movie, which was based on the 1991 French film La totale! penned by Claude Zidi, Didier Kaminka and Simon Michael. The trio shared screenplay credit with Cameron on the Hollywood adaptation. Like Titanic and Avatar, True Lies was at the time the most expensive movie ever made, with budget rumored to be in the $100- $120 million range. And like Titanic and Avatar, True Lies more than made back its budget. True Lies also marked the first Lightstorm project to be distributed under Cameron's multi-million dollar production deal with 20th TV's sibling movie studio 20th Century Fox.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Should be in the tv forum -->

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PaganKing

Should be in the tv forum -->

Yep probably should be, sorry. Pretty new to this. Is there way you know I can move this or do I need to check with a Mod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No Arnie - No Dice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PaganKing

Sorry but could one of the Mods please move this Thread into Television, please. Or if it suits delete it and I'll restart it in there. Its kinda film related but it does belong in TV. Thanks in advance and sorry for the bother. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

True Lies is 16 years old, hoooooly sh1t that makes me feel old :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

PaganKing wrote: »
    Yep probably should be, sorry. Pretty new to this. Is there way you know I can move this or do I need to check with a Mod?

A mod should move it, get off yer arse mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did you report it? No, didn't think so. Cop on Rich! :rolleyes:

As for 'True Lies', I always thought the film was one of Cameron's weaker efforts. Not a show I'd have a huge amount of interest in I must say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved and tha'!

We actually aren't online every minute of every day, contrary to popular belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Question is do they just recast the roll of Harry Tasker or do they do True lies the next generation and focus on his daughter the now all growd up Eliza Dushku with the occasional cameo from Jamie Lee .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably my favourite Cameron film, but I would have no interest in a TV series of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

krudler wrote: »
    True Lies is 16 years old, hoooooly sh1t that makes me feel old :(

You have it easy.. I can't believe Beverly Hills Cop is 26!! years old!! :eek:

Don't know how successful this would be. The film was ok - fun but ultimately nothing outstanding (as basquille says, one of the weaker efforts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

JJ Abrams already has a spy couple show in the works with Undercover so its hard to see how a True Lies tv show would set itself apart in what is now considering the currently airing covert ops and the defunct Alias a well populated and some would say tired genre .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How many new police and lawyer and doctor series are coming out this year? I think I counted about eleven. A good show should be able to make it no matter how many similar shows are out there. But this doesn't sounds like a good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It might work depending how on who takes Arnie and Jamie's roles and which tv channel gets it (not Fox hopefully)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a277776/abc-picks-up-true-lies-adaptation.html
    ABC has reportedly picked up the new television adaptation of True Lies.
    Earlier this month, it emerged that the film's director James Cameron is executive producing the project.
    The original movie starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as a computer salesman called Harry living a double life as a spy.
    During a mission, Harry discovers that his wife is looking for adventure and decides to make her life more exciting.
    Deadline reports that ABC has now landed the new television adaptation. The project is being penned by Rene Echevarria, who has previously worked on The 4400, Castle and Medium. Echevarria will also executive produce the project.

Steve Howey steps into the Arnold Schwarzenegger role as Harry Tasker, an all-purpose spy within the ultra-secretive Omega Sector

CBS has been trying to remake True Lies as a series for over a decade

Matt Nix of Burn Notice is behind this reboot

( Sorry if another newer thread already but nothing showed up in search but search is not working great since change over )

I like the premise and it could work as a series but the leads just are not gelling for me

Advertisement